Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis sample editor

Hope this isn’t old news but when I select an audio clip to edit in the sample editor I have not been able to see it act as the manual describes. Double clicking on a given region opens the editor but instead of having just that segment showing as what I selected and ready to be edited, the whole waveform that it came from shows in the editor in the main lower section along with it showing in the upper grayed area. Is this a bug or am I missing some setting that needs to be in place? I’m stumped and went through a whole project simply bypassing any slicing and dicing to reverse or do any manipulation since I was on a time constraint and had to get it done. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• I wondered about the same issue in Cubasis. You have a clip with different "areas of interest" and you use the same clip with different ranges selected at different positions in the arrangement. When double-tapping on any of these clips however, always the full waveform will be shown with nothing selected. There should at least be markers shown that tell you what's actually selected, and/or (2nd best) the currently set range as an active selection of the waveform.

Same for automation: No matter what zoom level and what clip(s) are selected, opening the automation editor will always open the whole track so you always have to zoom around. Not good. Especially with automation what you want is detail and zoom in most cases.

I think both could be improved quite easily by Steinberg.

• Thanks for your quick reply. So you’re saying that you have the same experience? Because the manual explains that it should function exactly as you’re describing, showing the area you’ve selected in the lower portion in order to manipulate while giving you an overview in the upper portion of the whole waveform. I’m going to assume it’s a bug then until I hear back from Steinberg or someone else on this forum.

• I consider this to be a 'bug' in Cubasis as the 'region/arranger-selection' is not In any way reflected or shown when entering the waveform editor. (Not to mention having to select 'time' for the ruler to get sample-accurate editing).

At least an option to 'auto-select the active region' in the sample-editor could come in handy for 'chopping out' regions and saving them to the MediaBay for later import into the MiniSampler.

Better yet an option to 'create a mini-sampler instrument using current selection/region'.

I do not know what @LFS and his team are cooking up for Cubasis 2.5 though...

• Hello Samu. Just confirming for myself I’m not overlooking anything in this 2.6 release of cubasis. This sample editing region issue is still as before, correct?

• @Luris said:
    Hello Samu. Just confirming for myself I’m not overlooking anything in this 2.6 release of cubasis. This sample editing region issue is still as before, correct?

From initial testing yes...

When going to the sample-editor there is no way to 'auto select'(unless I'm missing some hidden long-tap feature or something else) the file-portion used by the currently selected audio-event.

Being able to do this would make 'destructive trimming'(for sample creation) of audio a lot smoother.
    The quick chunks & chops could be made using the time-line and then fine-adjusted using time mode instead of beats & bars mode and trimmed in the sample/audio editor. Now the selection work has to be done twice.

A way to solve this would be to have a 'region link' of some kind meaning the boundaries in the sample/file editor are linked to the audio event on the time line.(ie. set L & R locator in the sample editor to match the Audio Event).

Some day we'll maybe get improvements in this area too...

For now I'm enjoying the new fullscreen AUv3 support :)

• @Samu said:

@Luris said:
    Hello Samu. Just confirming for myself I’m not overlooking anything in this 2.6 release of cubasis. This sample editing region issue is still as before, correct?

From initial testing yes...

When going to the sample-editor there is no way to 'auto select'(unless I'm missing some hidden long-tap feature or something else) the file-portion used by the currently selected audio-event.

Being able to do this would make 'destructive trimming'(for sample creation) of audio a lot smoother.
    The quick chunks & chops could be made using the time-line and then fine-adjusted using time mode instead of beats & bars mode and trimmed in the sample/audio editor. Now the selection work has to be done twice.

A way to solve this would be to have a 'region link' of some kind meaning the boundaries in the sample/file editor are linked to the audio event on the time line.(ie. set L & R locator in the sample editor to match the Audio Event).

Some day we'll maybe get improvements in this area too...

For now I'm enjoying the new fullscreen AUv3 support :)

For now, I trim the selected audio range and save as new audio files and assign them to individual notes in the Sampler.

• @MobileMusic said:

For now, I trim the selected audio range and save as new audio files and assign them to individual notes in the Sampler.

That's what I do too but when the recording is longer and already 'chopped up' on the time line using 'split tool' it's quite tedious work to trim each of those segments to separate files since the 'cuts/splits' made on the time-line are not reflected in the sample/audio editor where the actual trimming is done.

I usually make a copy of the whole audio event to a separate track so I don't damage the original recording.