Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Time for a touchscreen UI paradigm shift.

May I speak frankly?
Thank you.

Hmm hm

WHAT THE 🤬!!!

Can’t take anymore of:

-Tiny buttons with next to no feedback, or worst, text as buttons.
-Tiny menu windows with infinite scrolling.
-Pop up menus disabling background.
-Playing touch keyboard disable rest of UI.
-Any sorts of one touch at a time.
-Non scaling AU.
-Only ONE keyboard in a multi instrument environment.
-Tapping to scroll up or down values, AARGH!!!
-Sub menus to access jamming features such as connectivity.
-Connecting stuff throught menu scrolling. Hold one and tap other please!
-Long press functions.
-Fan boys or girls bullshit.

Just starting...

Comments

• I don't mind the long press, but you are right on the money about the rest of them. Developers take heed!

• This is an example of bad UI:

Why this tiny scrolling windows when choosing among 200-300 different synths and other musical instruments?

Just one example among others...

• Blimey, someone quietly wheel Different Drummer out of the back door before it gets noticed!

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    This is an example of bad UI:

Why this tiny scrolling windows when choosing among 200-300 different synths and other musical instruments?

Just one example among others...

+1,000,000,000,000

• edited June 2018

I personally think the spin function of the accelerometer is vastly underutilized too. There's no reason I can't toss my iPad like a frisbee onto the bed and have it write a song for me.

:p

In all seriousness though, yes I would love to see major changes here. Not all of us have child sized fingers.

• @u0421793 said:
    Blimey, someone quietly wheel Different Drummer out of the back door before it gets noticed!

Haha!

• Where's the follow up list showing examples of UIs that work, of the widgets that are effective on a touch screen?

• the one that irks me the most is when a full keyboard and text field pop up in order to enter the midi channel or simple numerical value (Layr and Geoshred come to mind) or just frustratingly tiny or fiddly controls (as with Phosphor 2 - great sounding synth that I never use due to the non-scalable interface)

Popup windows with a tiny "close" button in awkward places, can't we all agree that it's best practice to make it close by tapping outside said window?

It's always refreshing to see apps that actually use the touch interface rather than trying to make 3d looking knobs and such.

Some that come to mind that make great use of a touch surface, imho:

TC-11 (and TC-Data)
    Patterning
    Thumbjam
    Audulus
    Borderlands
    SAMPLR (still praying for an update, but I love it just the same)
    K Machine
    Tardigrain
    Reslice
    Samplebot
    Wilsonic
    Refraktions

• edited June 2018

@Jocphone said:
    Where's the follow up list showing examples of UIs that work, of the widgets that are effective on a touch screen?

Got to burn the place to the ground first before setting new foundations.
    Sound dramatic but couldn’t find other way to say it.

There are more irritations then I thought first, will wait until I have a real keyboard...
    And yes, there are a lot of exemples of clever use of touchscreen.

Feel free to point out things that should disapear and things that should replace them.

• @Philippe said:

@Jocphone said:
    Where's the follow up list showing examples of UIs that work, of the widgets that are effective on a touch screen?

That's ok as long as you pull your weight in rebuilding rather than publicly torching everything that irks you.

There are more irritations then I thought first, will wait until I have a real keyboard...
    And yes, there are a lot of exemples of clever use of touchscreen.

Feel free to point out things that should disapear and things that should replace them.

Ditto.

• edited June 2018

@Jocphone said:

@Philippe said:

@Jocphone said:

That's ok as long as you pull your weight in rebuilding rather than publicly torching everything that irks you.

Even if I didn't, publicly torching everything that irks would still bring something, some kind of counter balance to all the well behaving fans living in fear of hurting anyones feeling.
    If anyone have a problem with that, go ahead and speak your mind, we can only go forward if everything is on the table, not just sugar coated hollow positive flattery.
    Got carried away a bit.
    Lets just speak frankly and stop caring about everyone's sense of self.