Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tutorial: Complex evolving rhythms with Perforator and Rozeta

1) Set your synth to play a sustained note or chord.

2) Put two Perforators on it. Give each Perforator a different step length: one odd number and one even number. This is probably all you need for most tracks, but if you want to get really out there:

3) For even more complexity and evolution, send a Rozeta LFO to the "Steps" parameter for each Perforator. Use a different LFO for each Perforator, and set the two LFOs to different speeds so that they run out of sync with each other. Medium low speeds will probably work best. This can get very out of control if you let it. Dial back the amount of LFO modulation, and give Perforator a pattern to play for the high step numbers.

4) Send a Rozeta LFO square wave to AUM's volume fader for even more interest. Also try modulating the square wave. You can also send it to your synth's filter cutoff for rhythmic tonal interest.

These are good techniques for adding rhythmic interest to pedal points or sustained chordal pads (or tonal interest, if you apply it to the filter instead of the gate).

It would be good if Rozeta LFO had a pulse width wave, but it doesn't. Even just a 33% and 66% option that you could sync to tempo would be a nice alternative to the square wave.

Comments

• Oooh.. that's a neat trick! Going to try that.

• edited June 2018

Thanks for your tutorial, I was wondering if we could modulate with lfo gate for each step ? Is it possible ? Is in your tutorial the step number you modulate ? Your tutorial remind me this point that it makes me hesitating about buying Perforator. I will be glad to find somewhere automation parameters for Perforator...

• @shoutn95 said:
    Thanks for your tutorial, I was wondering if we could modulate with lfo gate for each step ? Is it possible ? Is in your tutorial the step number you modulate ? Your tutorial remind me this point that it makes me hesitating about buying Perforator. I will be glad to find somewhere automation parameters for Perforator...

In response to your first question: I believe that you can modulate the step division in Perforator, which is somewhat akin to a gate length, but in discrete, tempo-synced steps instead of continuous "analog" variation. I have not yet tried that, but it should give some wild results.

In my experiment, the LFO was changing the number of steps, thus dynamically making the rhythmic pattern longer and shorter. However, for my taste the results from this get too random. I probably will not use LFOs on Perforator too much in the future unless I want a lot of randomness.

For me, simply layering two Perforators and setting up a nicely evolving polyrhythm between them gets the kind of results that I'm looking for, so I personally don't need the LFOs.

• edited June 2018

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr ok thank you for your response, :) I will look after further information around internet about Perforator and his modulation abitlities. I’d like for instance make a sustained simple waveform ramdomly gate off or on with a particular evolution (as a drone sequence) and not in a linear sequence... I hope to be clear enough with my anglish :# I would like to randomly play the steps sequence or change the sequence while playing, with LFOs...

• @shoutn95 said:
    @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr ok thank you for your response, I will look after further information around internet about Perforator and his modulation abitlities. I’d like for instance make a sustained simple waveform ramdomly gate off or on...

You don't need Perforator for that. Simply run a Rozeta LFO set to S&H, and use it to control your volume fader.

• Sounds like a good tutorial that I´ll try later. Did you add the two Perforators in series (one feeding the next), or is this two separate channels with one Perforator in each?

• edited June 2018

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    You don't need Perforator for that. Simply run a Rozeta LFO set to S&H, and use it to control your volume fader.

Indeed :*

Goodnight...

• @bleep said:
    Sounds like a good tutorial that I´ll try later. Did you add the two Perforators in series (one feeding the next), or is this two separate channels with one Perforator in each?

For the simpler polyrhythm technique, they have to be in series on the same channel for it to work. The second Perforator is gating the first one.

For the LFO technique, you could probably have them on separate channels if you wanted, or have them in series. You'd get different results either way.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr Is there a way to listen a sample of your tutorial ? B)

• Clever, inventive stuff. :) I like it.

• I was looking to do something very similar yesterday. Do you know if there is any way to do this in Cubasis, issues I’m hitting are,

1. Identifying the CC# for steps (I can automate wiggling those settings to get an active automation lane, but that doesn’t tell me the CC, I don’t think)
    2. Can you use Cubasis midi fx on the inserts or just on the instrument itself?

Maybe this is just easier in AUM?

• @shoutn95 said:
    @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr Is there a way to listen a sample of your tutorial ? B)

I made a sample for you and posted it over in the Creations section.

• Maybe I will get Perforator... And try it... :/

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@shoutn95 said:
    @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr Is there a way to listen a sample of your tutorial ? B)

I made a sample for you and posted it over in the Creations section.

Are you setting this up in AUM?

• @skoptic said:

I do, but I would guess that you could do it in any AU host.

• Is there any ios10 alternative to Rozeta's LFO? :wink:
    Trying to figure one way for this... Thinking maybe Quantum to drive Perforator steps parameter :dizzy:

• @senhorlampada said:
    Is there any ios10 alternative to Rozeta's LFO? :wink:
    Trying to figure one way for this... Thinking maybe Quantum to drive Perforator steps parameter :dizzy:

There is the Midi LFO IAA app (I don't have it). But don't you need ios 11 to run Perforator?

@skoptic said:

Thanks, easily done in AUM, but I can’t see a way to route midi fx to an insert fx in Cubasis, sadly :( Nevermind, cool routing still :)

• @skoptic said:

@skoptic said:

Thanks, easily done in AUM, but I can’t see a way to route midi fx to an insert fx in Cubasis, sadly :( Nevermind, cool routing still :)

I'm not using the Perforators as midi fx. I'm using them as audio fx. You can certainly do that in Cubasis.

Using Perforator for midi fx would be cool too, but I haven't tried it yet.

@skoptic said:

@skoptic said:

I'm not using the Perforators as midi fx. I'm using them as audio fx. You can certainly do that in Cubasis.

Yes me too - the midi fx was for Rozeta LFO to modulate the Perforator step length (I really wanted to control presets, but I’ll take step length) but that’s the bit I can do in AUM but not in Cubasis.

There is the Midi LFO IAA app (I don't have it). But don't you need ios 11 to run Perforator?

So true... forgot about that one
    Perforator is iOS 10 :wink:

I really wanted to buy a new device for iOS 11, though... But moving to a new place is costing me a bit! :lol:

• @skoptic said:

@skoptic said:

@skoptic said:

Yes me too - the midi fx was for Rozeta LFO to modulate the Perforator step length (I really wanted to control presets, but I’ll take step length) but that’s the bit I can do in AUM but not in Cubasis.

Understood. I don't know how to do that in Cubasis either. I usually set up my "modular synth"-style patches in AUM, and use Cubasis only for mixing and adding fx.

• I am trying to get AUM to do this, but having difficulty getting any response.

Here's how I am setting it up, please help me understand what I am doing wrong. I am not doing dual Perfs at this stage because I am trying to get LFO to be working properly and affecting the parameter as described, so I simplified it down to get it figured out.

Channel 1 - Synth - Perf 1
    Channel 2 - Synth - Perf 1
    Channel 3 - Rozeta LFO

In Midi Route Menu I have Rozeta LFO going to Midi Control

Open the Midi Control Menu, and then at the bottom, I have Perforator - Parameters. When I am in that menu I have STEPS Selected with the Channel being 3 and the CC being 13 for the first LFO in Rozeta LFO.

The blue boxes to the right in Rozeta LFO don't respond, if they are supposed to, I don't know.

But the sounds are the same if I have the LFO enabled or slid to the left, or if I remove it and re-add and repeat these steps, so either it's not working, or I am doing something wrong.

By the way.... and I am not trying to be a dick.... but saying this is a tutorial in the subject might be misleading. This is more of a idea or suggestion. Tutorials are generally detailed, and outline procedures/steps/etc. just my 2 cents. I am wanting to get more advanced in my use with AUM because I have hit a dead spot in my progression, and am a bit frustrated.

• The blue boxes should send out lfo'ed dots. You have pressed play on the transport bar in AUM?

• @Breezee said:
    I am trying to get AUM to do this, but having difficulty getting any response.

Here's how I am setting it up, please help me understand what I am doing wrong. I am not doing dual Perfs at this stage because I am trying to get LFO to be working properly and affecting the parameter as described, so I simplified it down to get it figured out.

Channel 1 - Synth - Perf 1
    Channel 2 - Synth - Perf 1
    Channel 3 - Rozeta LFO

In Midi Route Menu I have Rozeta LFO going to Midi Control

Open the Midi Control Menu, and then at the bottom, I have Perforator - Parameters. When I am in that menu I have STEPS Selected with the Channel being 3 and the CC being 13 for the first LFO in Rozeta LFO.

The blue boxes to the right in Rozeta LFO don't respond, if they are supposed to, I don't know.

But the sounds are the same if I have the LFO enabled or slid to the left, or if I remove it and re-add and repeat these steps, so either it's not working, or I am doing something wrong.

In AUM you need to set two things for midi cc control to work:

First, in the receiving channel you need to set the AUM channel where the midi controller is hosted. I think there are three different places you can do that in AUM. I use either the menu left of the top node in the receiving channel, or the menu under the channel label. I think you can also do it in the matrix, but I don't use that one myself. So however you do it, in your AUM channel one, you need to set AUM channel three as a midi source.

Second, in the receiving channel you need to set the midi channel and cc number. I do that in the menu under the receiving channel's label. So in AUM channel one, I'd open that bottom menu and scroll down to the synth parameter I want to LFO, and then set the midi channel and cc for that parameter to match my sending LFO. I think you can also do this same thing in the midi menus over on the right, but I don't do it that way.

• _ki_ki
    edited June 2018

@Breezee said:

The rosetta on AUM channel 3 defaults to send on midi channel 1.Either change the receiver midi channel to 1 or change rosettas output midi channel to 3 to get it working.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr, confirmed with Tony Saunders, and I will be totally able to do it with midisequencer / quantum (a good way to use both, right? lol) Thanks for the tutorial, and I will post the results if they're somewhat interesting :lol:

• Confirmed that on the receiving channel containing my synth and 2 instances of Perforator;

1st perforator midi control needs to be set at channel 1, midi cc 13 - the first(top) LFO in Rozeta will then control 1st (top) perforator

2nd perforator midi control needs to be set at channel 1, midi cc 15- the 2nd (middle) LFO in Rozeta will then control the 2nd from the top perforator

I check these parameters from accessing the menu on the far right side, then selecting MIDI CTRL- CHAN 1 - PERFORATOR Parameters>STEPS, setting are shown to the right and can be changed at the bottom.

Hope this further helps and I thank everyone for their help on this.

And Also, thanks to Bleep for reminding me to press play, which I occasionally may or may not do.