Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best acoustic guitar strummer app?

I used to like WI guitar back in the day, but I noticed that it's been abandoned it seems.

Does anybody know what would be the best app for acoustic realtime guitar strumming today? Not really solo guitar playing, but more about chords and strumming.

Comments

• Guitarism is great. Does midi out also for those strums! GuitarCapo is alright - prefer guitarism sound though. OMGuitar is another one that doesn't get much talk but it's decent.

• edited June 2018

I actually have guitarism, I had just totally forgotten about it, since it's been a while since I last used any guitar apps. I think that it's pretty decent, the only thing I wish I was able to do was to have more chords on it at once. I seem to only get to choose 6 chords that are shown on the screen at one time. For many songs, 6 chords is not enough. Maybe I'm missing something, or I don't know how to access it, but there's plenty of room on the screen to add a bunch more chords that could be shown all at the same time.

I never tried OMGuitar, but I'll have a look into that one too, thanks!

• How about Jam Maestro? Not really sure how it works.. Involves tablature

• Hello I think this app is underrated try it i think there’s a free version you can try first .GuitarCapo+ by TonApp AS

• Thanks for the suggestions! I will look into those also.

• @CrazySynthMan said:
    I actually have guitarism, I had just totally forgotten about it, since it's been a while since I last used any guitar apps. I think that it's pretty decent, the only thing I wish I was able to do was to have more chords on it at once. I seem to only get to choose 6 chords that are shown on the screen at one time. For many songs, 6 chords is not enough. Maybe I'm missing something, or I don't know how to access it, but there's plenty of room on the screen to add a bunch more chords that could be shown all at the same time.

I never tried OMGuitar, but I'll have a look into that one too, thanks!

the app makes use of the gyroscope. there are additional chords available by tilting the device.

• @MeatWalrus said:
    Hello I think this app is underrated try it i think there’s a free version you can try first .GuitarCapo+ by TonApp AS

GuitarCapo+ is my choice also...
    And, together with the Jazz Guitar patch in Korg Module (Triton pack IAP) is sounds amazing!

• The Yonac steel guitar has an in app purchase that gives an acoustic
    The steel guitar sounds fantastic so I would guess that the others would sound good too

• Does SampleTank American Acoustic have strumming?

• SampleTank does have arpeggio and some strum patterns...

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@MeatWalrus said:
    Hello I think this app is underrated try it i think there’s a free version you can try first .GuitarCapo+ by TonApp AS

GuitarCapo+ is my choice also...
    And, together with the Jazz Guitar patch in Korg Module (Triton pack IAP) is sounds amazing!

I also am a GuitarCapo+ fan. It is my fav for a guitar interface.
    I am looking at Guitarism that was suggested above earlier. I looks pretty good too. I may bite on that one.

• Guitarism sounds more real and much better

• @Halftone said:
    Guitarism sounds more real and much better

GuitarCapo+ does sound pretty weak. It has like 3 internal sounds, none are that great.
    As a midi controller it works great, but I had to hunt down my own guitar sounds. I use it with ThumbJam sounds most of the time.

• @Halftone said:
    Guitarism sounds more real and much better

But, GuitarCapo+ is just a MidiController for me, so the realism is laying in the right app to controll...

• @LeonKowalski said:

the app makes use of the gyroscope. there are additional chords available by tilting the device.

Many gryoscope features in apps are sort of gimmicky imo. I don't mind that the feature is there, but there should always be an option for non-gyroscope usage. When I'm doing music, I don't want to be tilting my iPad in all sorts of different directions like a crazy lunatic. There are some racing car games that also use the gyroscope for steering, and I don't like that either. I prefer on screen controls.

This is how the app should be imo. Look how much wasted extra space is there, just waiting to be filled up with chords. I shouldn't have to tilt anything to get extra chords.

• edited June 2018

@CrazySynthMan said:

@LeonKowalski said:

Many gryoscope features in apps are sort of gimmicky imo. I don't mind that the feature is there, but there should always be an option for non-gyroscope usage. When I'm doing music, I don't want to be tilting my iPad in all sorts of different directions like a crazy lunatic. There are some racing car games that also use the gyroscope for steering, and I don't like that either. I prefer on screen controls.

This is how the app should be imo. Look how much wasted extra space is there, just waiting to be filled up with chords. I shouldn't have to tilt anything to get extra chords.

Yeah I hear you. I don‘t like that gyro stuff either. I was just reporting the facts :)

• @LeonKowalski said:

Yeah I hear you. I don‘t like that gyro stuff either. I was just reporting the facts :)

Oh, it's all good! I wasn't blaming you or anything like that, unless you're the developer of course. :)

I do like the app, and the responsiveness, feel and sound is pretty good. I just wish they'd make use of all that wasted space, because some people do actually need more than 6 chords.

• I went through all of the preferences to see if I was missing anything and I did come across this option, where you can choose to enable "secondary chords" on the display. It's the 2 arrows in the middle of the screen. You have to press one of the arrows and one of the chords on the left to access those chords.

This is totally horrible and it is a bad design decision. Why should the first 6 chords be easy to access with just 1 finger press, but if somebody wants to use the secondary chords, then they have to go through all sorts of ninja tricks and dual presses just to access one chord, which you can't even see the name of until it is pressed?

And even more baffling, is why this was implemented when there is all of that extra space in the app and they could have easily just added the so-called "secondary" chords there, and you would be able to access them with just one finger press and you would be able to actually see their name too.

• I was taking a closer look at guitarism and went to the website. Anybody know how to access all 18 active chords? Do you have to use those stupid arrows?

• @CracklePot said:
    I was taking a closer look at guitarism and went to the website. Anybody know how to access all 18 active chords? Do you have to use those stupid arrows?

It seems so. And it also helps if you are a super genius who happens to have a photographic memory, because 12 of those chords will be hidden from you.

And if you do want them, you have to do some acrobatics with your fingers to bring them up.

• @CrazySynthMan said:

@CracklePot said:
    I was taking a closer look at guitarism and went to the website. Anybody know how to access all 18 active chords? Do you have to use those stupid arrows?

It seems so. And it also helps if you are a super genius who happens to have a photographic memory, because 12 of those chords will be hidden from you.

And if you do want them, you have to do some acrobatics with your fingers to bring them up.

That bums me out. Bah. :/

• Folks might want to check out ChordUp for strumming. I don't own it, but he makes good stuff. Judging by the video demos, it seems to be fairly well thought out for the chord fingering side.

• @CrazySynthMan said:
    Oh, it's all good! I wasn't blaming you or anything like that, unless you're the developer of course. :)

Ha, of course I‘m not. If I was, I would follow your instructions completely. :)

You‘re also right about that arrow stuff, which is in the iPad version. The gyroscope is used in the iPhone version (at least as far as I remember it). Both options suck. Which is a shame, because apart from that the app is very good.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Folks might want to check out ChordUp for strumming. I don't own it, but he makes good stuff. Judging by the video demos, it seems to be fairly well thought out for the chord fingering side.

I actually own that one too.

I just looked at all of the apps I have with chord in the name, and I have ChordUp, Chordbot, Chordion and ChordBank.

Some of those apps are good, and they have their usage, most of them are best used as midi controllers, triggering sounds or samples in other apps, but it's not the same as having a good sounding dedicated acoustic guitar strummer imo.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Folks might want to check out ChordUp for strumming. I don't own it, but he makes good stuff. Judging by the video demos, it seems to be fairly well thought out for the chord fingering side.

The notes don’t match the strings of a guitar though. They are two octave of normal triads so fingerpicking comes out wrong sounding to me. Chords sound more piano like than guitar like. But you can strum it.
    Other than that little nitpick, I really love ChordUp. The expression mode is really fun to play too.

• I just remembered Amidios app Pearl Guitar, and, that super nice for strumming guitar!

But, unfortunately this don't run under iOS 11, but, I redownloeded it on my old iPad Air2 with iOS 10.33 and it runs very nice there, with great sound and playability!

Check this:

• I like Live Guitar on the iPhone

• Guitarism is the best strumming guitar app ... Though i agree that on an iPad the chord pallete should be larger! Maybe Developer Rhism will read an respond? Using Guitarism to play chords in Shredder is a good combination.
    OMGuitar is good too.
    Pearl guitar got bought by someone who promptly forgot all about it. It was an intresing idea which tried to have chord strumming/picking plus some scale based notes which could be tapped as embelishments.
    Never understood why Yonac haven't done a Guitar ... The slide guitar is great!
    Right now I don't think there is a guitar style instrument under active development! Jam Maestro is regularly updated but works on a different paradigm ... Guitar Capo takes a bit of getting used to as well. The Garageband guitars are great, but but sandboxed.

Its time for a new kid on the block!

• @ltf3 said:
    Guitarism is the best strumming guitar app ... Though i agree that on an iPad the chord pallete should be larger! Maybe Developer Rhism will read an respond? Using Guitarism to play chords in Shredder is a good combination.
    OMGuitar is good too.
    Pearl guitar got bought by someone who promptly forgot all about it. It was an intresing idea which tried to have chord strumming/picking plus some scale based notes which could be tapped as embelishments.
    Never understood why Yonac haven't done a Guitar ... The slide guitar is great!
    Right now I don't think there is a guitar style instrument under active development! Jam Maestro is regularly updated but works on a different paradigm ... Guitar Capo takes a bit of getting used to as well. The Garageband guitars are great, but but sandboxed.

Its time for a new kid on the block!

Bram Bos will sort this out within the week when he releases the AU MIDI Clip Recorder/Piano Roll.

The Guitar Strummer will added the day after release for free. Along with 6 other features nobody asked for but are infinitely useful.

No pressure Bram. ;)

• where is Rhism and how is he doing?