Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

apeMatrix is out now

Comments

• @theinvisibleman said:
    so i assume the recorded audio goes to audioshare and you need a DAW to record the midi outs?

The recordings go to its internal folder, but you can share it to the Files app, AudioShare, etc. Haven’t tried recording midi yet, but I am going to try with Sequencism first. B)

• @wim said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Five pages of this ecstasy, but no one has said what it’s for or what it does, exactly! “Modulation madness” obviously appeals to the crazy-scientist segment of the forum. But this to me looks like a not especially attractive way to make things more complicated than they need to be.
    Don't @ me!

(tldr: Actually, it simplifies a lot of things because you can see and modify how things are wired together all in one place without a bunch of scrolling around, setting up mix busses, etc.)

For instance,
    Say you’re running RuisMaker with a Rozeta XOX, TroubleMaker with a Rozeta Bassline, and PhaseMaker with Rozeta Arpeggiator, and are hitting TroubleMaker’s Fuzz with a Rozeta LFO. That’s seven channels you have to scroll throug in AUM with no ready visual cue use as to what controls what. In Matrix you can see what controls what and get to every one of them in one compact view. (Not to mention that you don’t need the Rozeta LFO any more)

Now lets say you want to throw on a Reverb and you want it to be on a send channel so that you can pass various amounts of RuisMaker and PhaseMaker to it. In AUM you would set up the send channel (another channel to scroll through), add the reverb, and put a send FX on the PhaseMaker and Ruismaker. Now when you want to adjust send levels, overall Reverb, etc. you have to scroll back and forth some more. In Matrix it’s all right there, and you can see and control the send and reverb level amounts, flip between all the apps, turn off the routing per channel, etc. all from one tidy screen.

Or, lets say you dig a little DAW cassette on the RuisMaker. Easy enough. But then you think “I wonder what would happen if I put just a touch of that on TroubleMaker”. You don’t have to set up a separate instance on it’s channel. Just touch the routing and dial in a little to taste. Thinking that maybe a smidge on the master would take the edge off ... one touch and adjust. Nah ... maybe that’s overkill. One touch to toggle it off or back on.

I find this as a way out of the sort of mind boggling complexity starting to come up in AUM sessions. Also as a way out of the limitations of Cubasis’ approach to AU midi plugins and its limited FX slots, no midi routing between channels, and limited sends.

And that’s without even considering the modulation capabilities.

Nope, I see it as a vast simplification for messing around and for performing. It’s just hard to see how it’s not more complicated until you try it to do some practical things.

The only piece I need to work out is a workflow for getting that stuff into a DAW for arrangement and mixing. My next stop is to see what happens if I throw Cubasis into one of the positions so that I can easily route audio or midi per app to it. I’m thinking this will work and not be too cumbersome as I can easily pick which channel I want to send there, and easily arm the track I want to record in Cubasis.

That’s really interesting. I like the idea of such flexible sends.
    But I really don’t mind scrolling in AUM, and the matrix is kind of visually off-putting.
    Mostly I don’t want to have to half-learn another new app if I don’t have to!
    When is the sale done?

• edited June 2018

Simply amazing! Very fast workflow and creatively inspiring.

1- get rid of the 2 fingers sweep bringing pop up menu for erasing every nodes: very annoying and counter intuitive.
    Instead, let us adjust gain of as many node as we have fingers.

2- pop up windows such as midi filter: should be able to close window by simply tapping outside of window.

• Wow...the more I play with this, the more I like it...and could potentially see it taking over AUM for me...it's just so freakin' quick and seamless.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Wow...the more I play with this, the more I like it...and could potentially see it taking over AUM for me...it's just so freakin' quick and seamless.

For sure. For all the times that AUM is straightforward, reliable and predictable, apeMatrix is the girl with crazy eyes you just can't stay away from...

• how do i setup to use the ape matrix keyboard, and have it trigger the step poly arp, and intern have that send midi notes too synths?

• @Daveypoo said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Wow...the more I play with this, the more I like it...and could potentially see it taking over AUM for me...it's just so freakin' quick and seamless.

For sure. For all the times that AUM is straightforward, reliable and predictable, apeMatrix is the girl with crazy eyes you just can't stay away from...

It’s true. :)

• So with all the comparisons to AUM, I have to ask...

Any crackles from this one? None for me, yet. I haven’t had much time with it yet, but some of you seem to have.

I don’t think crackles have been mentioned yet, have they?

• @eross said:
    how do i setup to use the ape matrix keyboard, and have it trigger the step poly arp, and intern have that send midi notes too synths?

• @gusgranite said:
    Do you have any AUs to test? I expect running IAA apps will cause these issues.

>

Seriously? If this app does not wok with one - just one - of the best known synth apps, then that is a problem which needs looking at.

AUM doesn’t fall over when IAA apps are used.

• wimwim
    edited June 2018

@Zen210507 said:

@gusgranite said:
    Do you have any AUs to test? I expect running IAA apps will cause these issues.

>

Seriously? If this app does not wok with one - just one - of the best known synth apps, then that is a problem which needs looking at.

AUM doesn’t fall over when IAA apps are used.

It’s fine. I’m running in the background as I type this with seven IAA apps busily playing and it’s ticking away rock solid on my iPad Air 2. I suspect that was just speculation on @gusgranite ‘s part.

I don’t have Sunriser to test with tho.

• edited June 2018

Wicked fun loading up iDensity into apeMatrix and messing around with it’s proto-matrix Patchbay to feed streams into other streams, then feed those streams into more iDensity AU fx within the apeMatrix with LFO madness across the board.

It’s like playing with that box from Hellraiser :)

• edited June 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @wim said:
    It’s fine. I’m running in the background as I type this with seven IAA apps busily playing and it’s ticking away rock solid on my iPad Air 2. I suspect that was just speculation on @gusgranite ‘s part.

Okay, thanks for posting. :)

• @Dawdles said:
    Whats the deal with the Apematrix snapshots? Requested them in AUM a while back... Do they store ALL current settings across ALL AU? Or only all current Apematrix app settings (lfos etc)?

Now that would be a big deal. If this app has the state saving of AB plus the routing and AU memory of AUM, it would be a step forward, for sure.

• Doubt I'll be able to resist this one, what with the built in LFOs and MIDI monitor.

Think it looks confusing to a lot of us because the matrix axises are bizarre. Top orta be inputs, right outputs. Like the aum midi matrix. Maybe there's a good reason for bucking convention here, I dunno (yet).

• wimwim
    edited June 2018

@Zen210507 said:

@Dawdles said:
    Whats the deal with the Apematrix snapshots? Requested them in AUM a while back... Do they store ALL current settings across ALL AU? Or only all current Apematrix app settings (lfos etc)?

Now that would be a big deal. If this app has the state saving of AB plus the routing and AU memory of AUM, it would be a step forward, for sure.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This might be useful to some as it also shows the line in/mic

• I d> @Dawdles said:

@wim said:

@Zen210507 said:

@Dawdles said:

B)

:) What does this equate to in use? Can you for example have -

SNAPSHOT1 -
    Steppolyarp instance 1 pattern 3 > model d patch A.

Steppolyarp instance 2 pattern 5 > zeeon patch 6

SNAPSHOT 2 -
    Steppolyarp instance 1 pattern 6 > model d patch B.

Steppolyarp instance 2 pattern 3 > zeeon patch 2

...... And then use snapshots to switch between those two global states?

And easy as just hitting 'save snapshot' to set the global state for each snapshot?

If its anything like the above then it's instabuy/gamechanger and something I've been praying for in AUM...

Thanks

I dunno. I just now took my first look at the snapshot pad and haven’t been able to get to do anything.

• edited June 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @rackersr said:

Bug Report:
    - iPad Pro 12.9” 2017
    - iOS 11.2.6
    - apeMatrix 1.0
    - Sunrizer 3.61

Issue:
    1. No apps running
    2. Load apeMatrix - Initial screen (Not loading previous)
    3. Add Sunrizer to First Source
    4. Sunrizer icon appears, pauses, then disappears
    5. The End

Love the potential, but some or all of these new apps are blowing up my iPad.
    Feels like I’m back on a Windows machine after a forced update.

Hello,
    I'm doing some tests according to some possible issues in apeMatrix.
    Actually Sunrizer will pause and close himself just after loading but this occur in AUM too.
    You can workaround this by opening before Sunrizer and the load as IAA either in AUM either apeMatrix.

Also, Nick Lowe highlight this: ...a small bug report for this magnificent app! – MIDI Monitor doesn't display any messages in iOS 9.3.3. (Tested on iPad Pro 9.7" and iPad Air 1.) It's fine in iOS 10-11.

I can confirm and its now fixed, during the next days I'll works to solve all issue and release a fixed ver.
    Thanks to all. Ciao.

• The switching between presetsis so quick :)

• @Zen210507 said:

@Dawdles said:

Can confirm it does.

• A few other useful things apeMatrix does but I haven’t tested yet.

Receives and sends midi clock
    Receives Bluetooth midi.
    Allows midi program change for apeMatrix presets.

• Finally, quick LFO access to Zeeon's effect parameters. Drool

• @oat_phipps said:
    Can confirm it does.

>

Interest level just ramped up again. Hopefully, Doug will review this soon. :)

• @syrupcore said:
    Doubt I'll be able to resist this one, what with the built in LFOs and MIDI monitor.

Think it looks confusing to a lot of us because the matrix axises are bizarre. Top orta be inputs, right outputs. Like the aum midi matrix. Maybe there's a good reason for bucking convention here, I dunno (yet).

It’s funny but for me this makes more sense to me because of x/y graphs than that way around. :)