Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

apeMatrix is out now

Comments

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@Daveypoo said:
    Ok - I squeezed in 10 minutes to muck with this before I head out again.

HOLY.

CRAP.

I just got over the initial hump on this and my brain kinda melted. @Fruitbat1919 the modulation options alone, never mind the routing and changing the routing on the fly. Being able to mix the full dry and full wet signals simply by dropping in a 'pin'... Amazing.

There's much more time needing to be spent here. I don't know if it will replace AUM - it's more like AUM's crazy half-sister.

If only AUM had a return to host switch, it would it might be cool to run the eight AUM ports inside ApeMatrix. Imagine running sequences inside AUM and switching between them via a random LFO - if that’s even possible lol

Ya see? That’s some of the crazy 😜 shit I was hoping others would start discovering. I hadn’t even thought of going the other way with this, ie. feeding in AUM channels into apeMatrix instead of the other way around.

• @skiphunt said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Daveypoo said:

HOLY.

CRAP.

I just got over the initial hump on this and my brain kinda melted. @Fruitbat1919 the modulation options alone, never mind the routing and changing the routing on the fly. Being able to mix the full dry and full wet signals simply by dropping in a 'pin'... Amazing.

There's much more time needing to be spent here. I don't know if it will replace AUM - it's more like AUM's crazy half-sister.

If only AUM had a return to host switch, it would it might be cool to run the eight AUM ports inside ApeMatrix. Imagine running sequences inside AUM and switching between them via a random LFO - if that’s even possible lol

Ya see? That’s some of the crazy 😜 shit I was hoping others would start discovering. I hadn’t even thought of going the other way with this, ie. feeding in AUM channels into apeMatrix instead of the other way around.

How about MV08 with its seperate outputs for every drum sound fed into ApeMatrix as an FX mixer?

• There’s room on the screen, it would be nice if you could label the sources and destinations.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@rackersr said:
    Bug Report:
    - iPad Pro 12.9” 2017
    - iOS 11.2.6
    - apeMatrix 1.0
    - Sunrizer 3.61

Issue:
    1. No apps running
    2. Load apeMatrix - Initial screen (Not loading previous)
    3. Add Sunrizer to First Source
    4. Sunrizer icon appears, pauses, then disappears
    5. The End

Love the potential, but some or all of these new apps are blowing up my iPad.
    Feels like I’m back on a Windows machine after a forced update.

I had problems with Sunrizer dropping out in AUM yesterday so maybe that’s to blame.

Be sure to try launching in different orders, outside of host first, etc.
    We are talking IAA here, after all. :D

• @wim said:
    There’s room on the screen, it would be nice if you could label the sources and destinations.

I agree. I am not fluent in hieroglyphics. Prefer words to symbols usually.

• @CracklePot said:

@wim said:
    There’s room on the screen, it would be nice if you could label the sources and destinations.

Go into the settings and turn it on. This was one of my requests during the beta.

• @JudgeDredd said:

@CracklePot said:

@wim said:

Go into the settings and turn it on. This was one of my requests during the beta.

Brilliant! Thank you, Judge. :)

• edited June 2018

@rackersr said:
    Bug Report:
    - iPad Pro 12.9” 2017
    - iOS 11.2.6
    - apeMatrix 1.0
    - Sunrizer 3.61

Issue:
    1. No apps running
    2. Load apeMatrix - Initial screen (Not loading previous)
    3. Add Sunrizer to First Source
    4. Sunrizer icon appears, pauses, then disappears
    5. The End

Love the potential, but some or all of these new apps are blowing up my iPad.
    Feels like I’m back on a Windows machine after a forced update.

I just did the above, Sunrizer worked as normal. But I am updated to iOS 11.4. Could that be it?

• ApeMatrix + AUM + Audiobus = effing amazing connectability. I haven’t found any logical connection that can’t be made. My phase1 was what turned out to be a fairly easy learning curve about audio/midi connections both inside and outside of apeMatrix. My phase2 will of course be the midi CC capabilities. Can’t WAIT to discover what lies ahead in that realm, but I have to walk the dog soon... 😏 I read all the prerelease patter about apeMatrix and I knew I’d find it unbelievably useful. So far I’m THRILLED.

• Five pages of this ecstasy, but no one has said what it’s for or what it does, exactly! “Modulation madness” obviously appeals to the crazy-scientist segment of the forum. But this to me looks like a not especially attractive way to make things more complicated than they need to be.
    Don't @ me!

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Five pages of this ecstasy, but no one has said what it’s for or what it does, exactly! “Modulation madness” obviously appeals to the crazy-scientist segment of the forum. But this to me looks like a not especially attractive way to make things more complicated than they need to be.
    Don't @ me!

I think it’s one of those apps that you have to play with to fully understand. I sort of know what it does by reading through this thread, but until I see a Doug vid, or buy it myself I won’t really get how this fits into my own workflow.

• I don't have a workflow, this fits just fine. :D

• Well we haven't done one of these yet ;)

• @TheVimFuego said:
    I don't have a workflow, this fits just fine. :D

+1 word :)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@skiphunt said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Daveypoo said:

HOLY.

CRAP.

How about MV08 with its seperate outputs for every drum sound fed into ApeMatrix as an FX mixer?

Intrigued. Can you elaborate specifically?

• After one day of trial, I can summarize this app like this : apeMatrix is a performance oriented AUM

• Maybe this has been asked before.... Can it record MIDI?

• @JudgeDredd said:

@CracklePot said:

@wim said:

Nice! But it would be helpful to be able to edit the names as well.

• @wim said:

@JudgeDredd said:

@CracklePot said:

@wim said:

Yeah I agree I'd like that too, particularly for the midi plugins.

• @wim said:

@JudgeDredd said:

@CracklePot said:

@wim said:

That was the original request. I think he is working on this.

• @RajahP said:
    Maybe this has been asked before.... Can it record MIDI?

no, it can route midi but you need a plugin to be able to record it.

• @cuscolima said:
    After one day of trial, I can summarize this app like this : apeMatrix is a performance oriented AUM

This about sums it up, along with that 'wacky step-sister of AUM' line.

And could someone explain the routing fx using separate outputs for MV08 idea? There's 8 outputs and only 10 slots...I assume a second matrix could be brought into play here?

• You can add an LFO to everything on Synthmaster one AU with apeMatrix including "contact us on Twitter button" :D

• @Carnbot said:
    You can add an LFO to everything on Synthmaster one AU with apeMatrix including "contact us on Twitter button" :D

'We're under barrage of a steady pulse wave of tweets. Oh my lord...the rate has just increased to 2.5 hertz. Run for it'

• wimwim
    edited June 2018

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Five pages of this ecstasy, but no one has said what it’s for or what it does, exactly! “Modulation madness” obviously appeals to the crazy-scientist segment of the forum. But this to me looks like a not especially attractive way to make things more complicated than they need to be.
    Don't @ me!

(tldr: Actually, it simplifies a lot of things because you can see and modify how things are wired together all in one place without a bunch of scrolling around, setting up mix busses, etc.)

For instance,
    Say you’re running RuisMaker with a Rozeta XOX, TroubleMaker with a Rozeta Bassline, and PhaseMaker with Rozeta Arpeggiator, and are hitting TroubleMaker’s Fuzz with a Rozeta LFO. That’s seven channels you have to scroll throug in AUM with no ready visual cue use as to what controls what. In Matrix you can see what controls what and get to every one of them in one compact view. (Not to mention that you don’t need the Rozeta LFO any more)

Now lets say you want to throw on a Reverb and you want it to be on a send channel so that you can pass various amounts of RuisMaker and PhaseMaker to it. In AUM you would set up the send channel (another channel to scroll through), add the reverb, and put a send FX on the PhaseMaker and Ruismaker. Now when you want to adjust send levels, overall Reverb, etc. you have to scroll back and forth some more. In Matrix it’s all right there, and you can see and control the send and reverb level amounts, flip between all the apps, turn off the routing per channel, etc. all from one tidy screen.

Or, lets say you dig a little DAW cassette on the RuisMaker. Easy enough. But then you think “I wonder what would happen if I put just a touch of that on TroubleMaker”. You don’t have to set up a separate instance on it’s channel. Just touch the routing and dial in a little to taste. Thinking that maybe a smidge on the master would take the edge off ... one touch and adjust. Nah ... maybe that’s overkill. One touch to toggle it off or back on.

I find this as a way out of the sort of mind boggling complexity starting to come up in AUM sessions. Also as a way out of the limitations of Cubasis’ approach to AU midi plugins and its limited FX slots, no midi routing between channels, and limited sends.

And that’s without even considering the modulation capabilities.

Nope, I see it as a vast simplification for messing around and for performing. It’s just hard to see how it’s not more complicated until you try it to do some practical things.

The only piece I need to work out is a workflow for getting that stuff into a DAW for arrangement and mixing. My next stop is to see what happens if I throw Cubasis into one of the positions so that I can easily route audio or midi per app to it. I’m thinking this will work and not be too cumbersome as I can easily pick which channel I want to send there, and easily arm the track I want to record in Cubasis.

• @oat_phipps said:

@cuscolima said:
    After one day of trial, I can summarize this app like this : apeMatrix is a performance oriented AUM

This about sums it up, along with that 'wacky step-sister of AUM' line.

And could someone explain the routing fx using separate outputs for MV08 idea? There's 8 outputs and only 10 slots...I assume a second matrix could be brought into play here?

You actually have 3 pages x 10 slots = 30 in total. See the tabs bottom left 1, 2, 3 and the cool thing is they are linked so you can route across the 30 slots :)

• so i assume the recorded audio goes to audioshare and you need a DAW to record the midi outs?

• @theinvisibleman said:
    so i assume the recorded audio goes to audioshare and you need a DAW to record the midi outs?

Audio can go to AudioShare, open in, email etc.,

• @wim said:

(tldr: Actually, it simplifies a lot of things because you can see and modify how things are wired together all in one place without a bunch of scrolling around, setting up mix busses, etc.)

Exactly, this app feels like a piece of hardware in a way, in fact I hope development continues so that the matrix pins can become midi controllable so that you can make a hardware apematrix box controller.

• With all the amazing tools that we have now, something musical in 2.5 minutes.

I really want to put together a few quick tutorials but I really need an iConnect to make them right.