Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

apeMatrix is out now

Comments

• @Samu said:

Is the apeMatrix folder visible to Files.app?
    (This would make it easy to access the recordings from other apps when needed).

currently it has an icloud drive folder but that's for exporting preset banks only I think.
    It has a samples folder which I think is iTunes folder but you can share from it in the app.

• @Samu said:

@JudgeDredd said:

You can record the audio inside apeMatrix. See the red button in the top bar.

Is the apeMatrix folder visible to Files.app?
    (This would make it easy to access the recordings from other apps when needed).

I don’t see one. But you can easily export to the Document Picker (Files App) from within the apeMatrix app.

• edited June 2018

@ToMess said:
    I have some questions about this before jumping in.

My setup now is to use AUM as an AU host(triggered by mpc) and audio mixer/fx unit for synths. My main and pretty much only problem with AUM is that it cant be slaved to a midi clock sent from MPC, meaning that i cant use any tempo based AUs, like pumphouse or running rozeta sequencers along with MPCs sequencer in sync.

So can this app do that properly?

It seems that this app can only use 10 inputs and those 10 are shared between audio inputs, midi sequencers/fxs, AU instruments and FXs. Is this right or am i missing something? I often use 3 audio inputs and couple of AU fxs on those, so that would already fill up nearly all room on this app. Tell me im missing something here.

it has more than that, there are 3 Matrices so 30 slots.
    Currently the midi apps are still classified as audio apps by iOS which is why they are on the audio page too, I expect this will change eventually as well.

not sure about midi clock, but Ableton link start stop will be implemented in AUM and apeMatrix before long which might help.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Are you going to get it? I’m back on the fence after reading what @brambos posted above.

If it’s not doing much more than Rozeta + AUM then I might spend my cash on Filterstation instead.

Though a Doug vid might change all that...

>

Undecided, as it appears to be an alternate to AUM, as opposed to something new. Will wait and see what Doug makes of this, beyond liking it. :)

FWIW, I had Filterstation 2, and deleted it, ‘cause I just didn’t use it much, and when I did wasn’t overly impressed.

• Well another reason to get this app (although it stands on its own IMO) is that this is one of our rock solid iOS developers who is always trying to push the sonic boundaries, integrate the latest connectivity, and respond to user feedback. Nothing but respect for apeSoft. Long may they profit and pay their Apple coffers!! 👊

• @Zen210507 said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Are you going to get it? I’m back on the fence after reading what @brambos posted above.

If it’s not doing much more than Rozeta + AUM then I might spend my cash on Filterstation instead.

Though a Doug vid might change all that...

>

Undecided, as it appears to be an alternate to AUM, as opposed to something new. Will wait and see what Doug makes of this, beyond liking it. :)

FWIW, I had Filterstation 2, and deleted it, ‘cause I just didn’t use it much, and when I did wasn’t overly impressed.

Oh right, maybe I’ll hold fire on that too.

Doug could still tempt me to push the button on Apematrix. If it’s a more playable version of an AUM setup, that’d be a useful thing.

• To me this app is worth it alone for just throwing LFOs at everything lol B)

• edited June 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    To me this app is worth it alone for just throwing LFOs at everything lol B)

Does it take long to get a decent session set up?

I presume sessions can be saved, like they are in AUM

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

This

• @Daveypoo said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

This

Yah I keep thinking of all the good times I have had/have with midiLFOs and Mood.. and... yah... sigh, alright...

• exactly, you can chuck 100s of LFOs at things in this app. Takes a lot longer to do that in other apps because you have to load and route LFO apps individually.

• @Carnbot said:
    exactly, you can chuck 100s of LFOs at things in this app. Takes a lot longer to do that in other apps because you have to load and route LFO apps individually.

Can you randomise any of this?

There’s a great feature in Obscurium where you can randomly assign MIDI controllers to synth settings (filter cutoff etc.). Be great to have this in an app...

• @MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:
    exactly, you can chuck 100s of LFOs at things in this app. Takes a lot longer to do that in other apps because you have to load and route LFO apps individually.

There’s a great feature in Obscurium where you can randomly assign MIDI controllers to synth settings (filter cutoff etc.). Be great to have this in an app...

He is testing different randomization options for a future update. Fingers crossed.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Once you get familiar with it, it’s pretty quick and easy. Then just save them as a set up.

• @gusgranite said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

He is testing different randomization options for a future update. Fingers crossed.

Ooh right, sounds good.

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Once you get familiar with it, it’s pretty quick and easy. Then just save them as a set up.

Cool, cheers FB

• @MonzoPro said:

Yeah, in Doug we trust. So often I’ve convinced myself that I don’t need something, only to see that I do. :)

• @MonzoPro said:

@gusgranite said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

Ooh right, sounds good.

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Cool, cheers FB

Don’t forget to strap on your iPad and use the gyro to alter hundreds of settings too - so eighties! :p

• @MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

That would be cool, I also hope he adds Matrix randomisations, and ability to add LFOs to the matrix pins, but that's not in there yet. But there's more than enough in there already to create some really deep modulations.

• Has anyone worked out the snapshot pad yet? I’m not fully understanding or hearing it yet.

• @gusgranite said:
    Has anyone worked out the snapshot pad yet? I’m not fully understanding or hearing it yet.

I’ve not tried yet as haven’t made four setups, but not quite sure how it will work in this app.

• @Carnbot said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I just wished they had put the midi matrix button on the lower bar. It’s often ending up behind open apps.

Also wished the keyboard had more options, but I’m still awaiting AU Midi controller options to be honest. I think the piano keyboard alone option is so outdated for a touch screen device.

Yeah but remember this is a v1, it looked quite different a few weeks ago, a lot has been crammed in a short space of time :)

You tap the icon at the bottom of the matrix to bring the midi patchbay to the foreground, same with mixer.
    Doubletap the background in a blank space to hide all the overlay windows and double tap again to reveal windows, is a good shortcut to remember too :)

What about the 10 RAU switch per matrix in midi control?
    What are they controlling?

• edited June 2018

@Philippe said:

@Carnbot said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I just wished they had put the midi matrix button on the lower bar. It’s often ending up behind open apps.

Also wished the keyboard had more options, but I’m still awaiting AU Midi controller options to be honest. I think the piano keyboard alone option is so outdated for a touch screen device.

Yeah but remember this is a v1, it looked quite different a few weeks ago, a lot has been crammed in a short space of time :)

You tap the icon at the bottom of the matrix to bring the midi patchbay to the foreground, same with mixer.
    Doubletap the background in a blank space to hide all the overlay windows and double tap again to reveal windows, is a good shortcut to remember too :)

What about the 10 RAU switch per matrix in midi control?
    What are they controlling?

That's the bypass switch for the AU nodes (the red icons to the right of the matrix) so you can use them to switch off channels but I prefer using the mutes because bypassing AUs can sometimes cause a crash of the AU/audio because of iOS etc

so you can mix with midi but not change the connections if you see what I mean.

• Midi Monitor seems not to work in iOS9 (at least on iPad Pro 9.7"). Fine in iOS 10.

• It’s been a while so had to put something about ApeMatrix out, it’s a damm fine app.

• Ok - I squeezed in 10 minutes to muck with this before I head out again.

HOLY.

CRAP.

I just got over the initial hump on this and my brain kinda melted. @Fruitbat1919 the modulation options alone, never mind the routing and changing the routing on the fly. Being able to mix the full dry and full wet signals simply by dropping in a 'pin'... Amazing.

There's much more time needing to be spent here. I don't know if it will replace AUM - it's more like AUM's crazy half-sister.

• Bug Report:
    - iPad Pro 12.9” 2017
    - iOS 11.2.6
    - apeMatrix 1.0
    - Sunrizer 3.61

Issue:
    1. No apps running
    2. Load apeMatrix - Initial screen (Not loading previous)
    3. Add Sunrizer to First Source
    4. Sunrizer icon appears, pauses, then disappears
    5. The End

Love the potential, but some or all of these new apps are blowing up my iPad.
    Feels like I’m back on a Windows machine after a forced update.

• @rackersr said:
    Bug Report:
    - iPad Pro 12.9” 2017
    - iOS 11.2.6
    - apeMatrix 1.0
    - Sunrizer 3.61

Issue:
    1. No apps running
    5. The End

Do you have any AUs to test? I expect running IAA apps will cause these issues.

• @Daveypoo said:
    Ok - I squeezed in 10 minutes to muck with this before I head out again.

HOLY.

CRAP.

I just got over the initial hump on this and my brain kinda melted. @Fruitbat1919 the modulation options alone, never mind the routing and changing the routing on the fly. Being able to mix the full dry and full wet signals simply by dropping in a 'pin'... Amazing.

There's much more time needing to be spent here. I don't know if it will replace AUM - it's more like AUM's crazy half-sister.

If only AUM had a return to host switch, it would it might be cool to run the eight AUM ports inside ApeMatrix. Imagine running sequences inside AUM and switching between them via a random LFO - if that’s even possible lol

• @rackersr said:
    Bug Report:
    - iPad Pro 12.9” 2017
    - iOS 11.2.6
    - apeMatrix 1.0
    - Sunrizer 3.61

Issue:
    1. No apps running
    5. The End

I had problems with Sunrizer dropping out in AUM yesterday so maybe that’s to blame.

• Random LFO to built in keyboard pitchbend lol