Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

apeMatrix is out now

1141516171820»

Comments

• edited August 2018

Wow, just read 19 pages of this thread, very instructive !
    But ì still have some questions if you don't mind...

It has program changes, seems to load fast but...
    How does it really handle a PC in a live situation ?
    Does the clock received from elsewhere is still active at loading the new preset ? (I mean if already received?)
    Because of course I'd plan to do this without sending any midi at that moment, but still wondering:
    Will it catch the incoming clock "on the fly" ?
    Even midi clock slaved, does it needs to press a play button ? If it's the case, and if the start/stop button can be assigned to a midi controller, I can live with that...

I guess there won't never be an IAA state saving ? (like AB2/3, but here no program changes anyway :neutral: )

//
    EDIT : silly me (once again...) Rozeta Scaler can handle that already and create all connections I need, with parameters I need for the scaled keyboard...

Could you tell me more about the scaled keyboard ? Is it saved with the preset ? (with the scale set ? )Or it just takes the last state ?
    Can you have multiple keyboards ? ( one for each synth ?)
    Can you play it from an external midi keyboard ?
    If yes, does the notes out of the chosen scale are not played ? (I can see me playing a mixolydian arabic minor sus 4 without a wrong note... :smiley: )
    //
    Thanks for your inputs :)

• Feature request: I'd like to be able to add several audio units without having to keep opening the selection dialog. For example, I already know I want to try something with Kleverb, Noir, and SquareSynth. But I have to press a node and select a thing and hit the Connects button for each one. Why can't I select three nodes and select three units, and press Connects once?

• Apematrix is crashing for me when I try to open a preset with 5 AU instances of Ravenscroft. first it load up and then I get the red cross. Try to reload crashed but the app the ”graphics/icon” just flashes and crash again. I cant even manually reload the instances. the first three opens and then it crashes again.
    Mention that I’ve tried to reeboot the ipad.

• @marcuspresident said:
    Apematrix is crashing for me when I try to open a preset with 5 AU instances of Ravenscroft. first it load up and then I get the red cross. Try to reload crashed but the app the ”graphics/icon” just flashes and crash again. I cant even manually reload the instances. the first three opens and then it crashes again.
    Mention that I’ve tried to reeboot the ipad.

Ravenscroft takes a lot of resources. Not sure that 5 concurrent sessions is functional in any host is it?

• edited December 2018

@gusgranite said:

@marcuspresident said:
    Apematrix is crashing for me when I try to open a preset with 5 AU instances of Ravenscroft.

Try to see an AUv3 slot like a "A/C Line Power Port". You can buy devices to plug into these ports (like RC 275) but the circuit will have a 15 Amp limit in US households.

5 RC 275 instances exceed the current limit and throw the breaker. In this instance the host unplugs these offending devices asking for more power that it can provide without melting the circuit with too much heat.

We don't ask anyone to give use ratings for these Apps but there's a tradeoff between the Host App and the AUv3's over "current" and the best analogy to current would be system resources.

Add RC275's until the "circuit" crashes and see if you can get work done with the stable number. You may dicsover later that even that number causes a failure somewhere.

I can't even run 1 copy of Colossus AUv3 "Brown Concert Grand" in any DAW/AU Host. Maybe an iPad Pro with more RAM or extra CPU capabilities could pull it off. My solution?
    I run Colossus on an iPhone 5S and plumb the iPhones Audio out into an interface on my iPad and record it that way.

ApeMatrix and RC275 can't change the "power characteristics" of these platforms. They can let you plug in Apps until your throw the circuit breaker. It's actually a pretty good system but really frustrating.

The other thing I'm doing is to "sample" my favorite synths/apps and run the samples in AudioLayer (which is an AUv3 App). I try to take something like RC275 (or Colossus) and make a "good enough" AudioLayer "clone" that allows me to run more instances in an AU Host like ApeMatrix. The process of sampling is very labor intensive but their are tools to help. To do this it takes a Windows or Mac to run a sample robot app. You can do it on IOS but the effort is a lot to ask. If we could share the work and build a library of instrument clones that would be great but... is it legal? Probably not for shared use if I create the perfect "good enough" RC275 clone. "Good Enough" is very subjective because we'd being taking away from the quality of the "instrument" as sold.

• @gusgranite said:
    @McDtracy ferzakeley!

You just threw the circuit in my brain. I had to break it into phonemes... slowly.
    Fur-Zack-a-Lee. We need to get that in the Urban Dictionary!

• @McDtracy said:

@gusgranite said:
    @McDtracy ferzakeley!

You just threw the circuit in my brain. I had to break it into phonemes... slowly.
    Fur-Zack-a-Lee. We need to get that in the Urban Dictionary!

• edited December 2018

I got it running with 5 instances of Ravencroft and 3 instances of iSymphony! Playing from Gestrument!!!
    And one Raven instance is through Quantichord splaying Chords!

• edited December 2018

• @marcuspresident said:
    I got it running with 5 instances of Ravencroft and 3 instances of iSymphony! Playing from Gestrument!!!
    And one Raven instance is through Quantichord splaying Chords!

Bravo! Pushing the envelope!

• @gusgranite said:

Bravo! Pushing the envelope!

No rather pushing the circuit 😜

• @McDtracy said:

@AudioGus said:
    Sigh. I keep delaying the ApeMatrix

Beware! “You are in a maze of twisty passages” with the Ape puzzle. But you can build the biggest LEGOs ever considered on IOS. All theses little sockets to join. We should share the projects.

Having spent far too much time mixing/chopping and editing the latest tracks I am wanting to try out more jammy on the fly, let er rip stuff again.

Does Apematrix midi clock slave?

(and yes I moved this to another thread ;) )

• LFO to modulate effects is glorious on this, especially on iPhone where the DAW options aren't as robust. Always knew it was there, only now got around to trying it. So easy too: Tap the button in the upper left of the effect window, find the setting you want to modulate, then straight modulate. Seeing the "Output Mix" in ADverb move by LFO on the iPhone = :)

• @gusgranite said:
    On another note. I’ve only just noticed the Master & Dynamics tool:

Where did you find this??

• @rs2000 said:

@gusgranite said:
    On another note. I’ve only just noticed the Master & Dynamics tool:

Where did you find this??

Hit the 3 dots, it’s at the bottom. I’m on iPhone now. There may be a specific button for it on iPad.

Master/dynamics has always been there, but being able to set pan/levels for each matrix is fairly new. Last update I think :)

• But it looks like the compressor is gone?

• @gusgranite said:
    But it looks like the compressor is gone?

Apparently yes?
    I'm especially missing the combined compressor/expander function. It worked really well without the overhead of yet another plugin window.

• Yes, it's useful now though that you can add an fx plugin to each matrix output, I'm hoping we can get more slots here eventually :)

• @Carnbot said:
    Yes, it's useful now though that you can add an fx plugin to each matrix output, I'm hoping we can get more slots here eventually :)

^This...

• @rs2000 said:

@gusgranite said:

Apparently yes?
    I'm especially missing the combined compressor/expander function. It worked really well without the overhead of yet another plugin window.

Have asked on FB if it has been removed.

• @gusgranite said:

@rs2000 said:

@gusgranite said:

Apparently yes?

Maybe bug, strange ,it's still described in the manual////

• @gusgranite said:

@rs2000 said:

@gusgranite said:

Apparently yes?

I hope it's going to return!
    Maybe it's just an accidental omission while adding the new per-matrix-volume sliders.
    Bummer I didn't save the .ipa before, I really didn't expect this to happen. apesoft usually doesn't disappoint.
    Maybe the apesoft developer Is having a look here from time to time?

• I'm hoping Alessandro can find a way to add more external audio and external MIDI ins and outs. If he could figure out a way to add that to the AUv3 selection page (All, FX, INST, MIDI, EX AUDIO, EX MIDI) that would be incredible.

• Hello, I’m new to this thread. I use the oscilloscope all the time, and think it’s great, I’ve been starting experimenting with eurorack, and am using covariant to convert midi to cv and using es-9 dc coupled interface for it to work. With the oscilloscope I can inspect all sound and it also work for cv. The only thing that is missing is a time slider, to be able to inspect dc lfo’s properly. Do you guys know a way to contact the developer, or how you can give feedback.

Br Bobb

• Does apeMatrix work with Bluetooth audio? I get a Bluetooth symbol in the output lane but get no audio at my earbuds. Can’t figure out what I might be doing wrong.

• @bobbfett said:
    Hello, I’m new to this thread. I use the oscilloscope all the time, and think it’s great, I’ve been starting experimenting with eurorack, and am using covariant to convert midi to cv and using es-9 dc coupled interface for it to work. With the oscilloscope I can inspect all sound and it also work for cv. The only thing that is missing is a time slider, to be able to inspect dc lfo’s properly. Do you guys know a way to contact the developer, or how you can give feedback.

Br Bobb

Contact page on his website: http://www.apesoft.it/info/

And there are also links toTwitter, Facebook, etc.

• Ah, thank you :smiley: