Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Making music at the coffee shop - Daveypoo, The Mobile Music Minstrel

Holy crap - I'm actually mobile! I was away for the recent holiday weekend here in the US and decided to record this quick jam while killing time at the local coffee joint. Unfortunately, this was the second one I did - the first jam (which was far superior, of course) didn't record....

Anyway, I hope you like it!

Comments

• Saturday morning bump for shameless self-promotional purposes only.

Everything to see here....

• edited June 2018

@Daveypoo Please please please tell me how you achieved the visuals behind AUM? That makes me want to goof right now. Thanks.

• @Morgman73 said:
    @Daveypoo Please please please tell me how you achieved the visuals behind AUM? That makes me want to goof right now. Thanks.

It was 100% Lumafusion. I'm still a novice with the video stuff, but I managed to automate some of the kaleidoscope and color settings. I just set a marker at the start point and end points for the effect, then made adjustments in between to taste. It was pretty simple, actually.

• Great stuff, mate! :smiley:

• Wow - thank you, @senhorlampada I'm so glad you dug it....

• @Daveypoo said:
    Wow - thank you, @senhorlampada I'm so glad you dug it....

You even make me anxious to get a new iPad for Rozeta
    (I'm keeping my Mini 2 on ios10 for the 32bits :lol: )

• @Daveypoo said:
    Holy crap - I'm actually mobile! I was away for the recent holiday weekend here in the US and decided to record this quick jam while killing time at the local coffee joint. Unfortunately, this was the second one I did - the first jam (which was far superior, of course) didn't record....

Anyway, I hope you like it!

how do you screen record from your ipad while mobile? I’d love to know, so i can try that too. thanks

• @senhorlampada said:

@Daveypoo said:

I can't say it enough - Rozeta completely changed music making on the iPad for me. Potentially the most valuable app suite on my iPad at the moment.

@eross I always use the internal screen recording on the iPad since I don't have a "real" camera. I don't like screen reflections and it's far simpler a setup. I had the iMuto battery plugged into the second lightning port on the CCK just for extra juice, but otherwise it was all internal to the iPad. The beginning bit I just did on my phone.....

Did that help at all?

• @Daveypoo said:

@senhorlampada said:

@Daveypoo said:

I can't say it enough - Rozeta completely changed music making on the iPad for me. Potentially the most valuable app suite on my iPad at the moment.

@eross I always use the internal screen recording on the iPad since I don't have a "real" camera. I don't like screen reflections and it's far simpler a setup. I had the iMuto battery plugged into the second lightning port on the CCK just for extra juice, but otherwise it was all internal to the iPad. The beginning bit I just did on my phone.....

Did that help at all?

yeah, that helps a lot. i didn’t know it had internal recording. how do you set that up. is it in settings?

• edited June 2018

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ios+11+screen+recording+audio

Edit, sorry for the snarky link. Here’s the official how-to. https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht207935

• @eross said:

@Daveypoo said:

@senhorlampada said:

@Daveypoo said:

Did that help at all?

yeah, that helps a lot. i didn’t know it had internal recording. how do you set that up. is it in settings?

There's an option (added only recently - I think it's an iOS 11 thing) when you double click the home button (or swipe up from the bottom of the screen I think too).

• @Daveypoo said:

@eross said:

@Daveypoo said:

@senhorlampada said:

@Daveypoo said:

Did that help at all?

There's an option (added only recently - I think it's an iOS 11 thing) when you double click the home button (or swipe up from the bottom of the screen I think too).

very cool! i just tried it out. video records, but no audio. what do you do for that? do you just record, and sync up later?

• Even if you can get screen recording to record the audio, it is always in mono. So yes, best option is to record in AudioShare and sync up later.

By the way, fun little jam Davey! I like how you fill the 16:9 video with extra notes/explanation on the side. I imagined myself doing the same if/when I ever get around to making something similar :+1:

• very cool! i just tried it out. video records, but no audio. what do you do for that? do you just record, and sync up later?

I typically run the audio out via the headphone jack to my Zoom H4n. The H4n has internal mics as well, so I record the audio out from the iPad and use the mics to record the voiceover at the same time. I forgot my splitter cable that day hence no voiceover.

@Hmtx said:
    Even if you can get screen recording to record the audio, it is always in mono. So yes, best option is to record in AudioShare and sync up later.

By the way, fun little jam Davey! I like how you fill the 16:9 video with extra notes/explanation on the side. I imagined myself doing the same if/when I ever get around to making something similar :+1:

After watching my first few videos, the fact that the iPad screen recording was not 16x9 was really bugging me. I didn't like all the dead space, so I tried to fill it with little annotations to make some of these more watchable. There are lots of stretches where not much is happening on screen, so the pictures and text help. I also find that I misspeak or forget stuff all the time, so the pop-ups help fill in the gaps. It was only after I figured all this out on my own that I saw other guys like Tim Webb doing it also. I thought I was clever but I'm just late to climb on the bus is all.

Glad you're digging the videos. I was super self-conscious about this as the jam doesn't really go anywhere, but I'm forcing myself to put these out with a warts-and-all attitude. If I don't I'll sit and twiddle them indefinitely without ever releasing them. The next jam will be more interesting, I promise :wink:

• Sounds good :wink: and if you ever get too comfortable, you could always record a face-cam to fill in more blank space and make it more self-conscious/ sweat-inducing. :lol: :sweat_smile:

• @Hmtx said:
    Sounds good :wink: and if you ever get too comfortable, you could always record a face-cam to fill in more blank space and make it more self-conscious/ sweat-inducing. :lol: :sweat_smile:

I'm working on that.... not every video will have this mug in it, but I'll be doing more face-time as there are some videos I'm making that will require it.

• Great seeing how you set all that up @Daveypoo . I haven't Rosetta cells used like that before. I usually give up after just getting some random blips and load up a synth :smiley: Not really spent much time with it though so interesting to see how you used it. Cool video fx too!

• Thanks, Colin! The trick I used in Cells came about from my attempts to make a keys track sound a bit more "live" than just looping four chords. The real eye-opener was being able to turn off the global gate length and set individual gates for each cell. Between this and the accents the part really came to life.

Thanks for all the comments and view, everyone. I'm still getting my sea-legs with these videos, so I really appreciate the feedback.

• I’ll come out from under my lurkers rock to say well done son ! keep it up @Daveypoo

• @MeatWalrus said:
    I’ll come out from under my lurkers rock to say well done son ! keep it up @Daveypoo

Thanks man! When are you, me and @johnfromberkeley gonna have some drinks again?

• edited June 2018

Nice jam, Davey. I half expected the Jackson 5 to leap out of a time warp, and boogie around your table. :)

Owwwwwwww!

• @Daveypoo said:

Cool video, it’s just missing the reactions of the other people in the coffee shop as you put your headphones on and start getting into it. I have to say, I resisted Rozeta until last month. I prefer to just do things live, but Rozeta is so quick to get things done. It has changed my workflow completely and I’m not really sure it’s for the better. It’s definitly fun and engaging, and often quicker than setting things up to play live. I wish Cells had an option to just set step length, speed, and record live. I realize Bram Bos is not a keyboard player and seems to mostly make these apps for himself and just puts them out there for us with small fees.

• @Daveypoo Oh, also a LumaFusion tip is you can chromakey the black out of AUM screen recordings pretty easily and superimpose them over some other thing. Like I did here, don’t mind that fact that I’m not really a Recorder player.

• @DMan said:
    @Daveypoo Oh, also a LumaFusion tip is you can chromakey the black out of AUM screen recordings pretty easily and superimpose them over some other thing. Like I did here, don’t mind that fact that I’m not really a Recorder player.

Hypnotic track and trippy video @DMan - love it! :smile:

• @DMan said:
    @Daveypoo Oh, also a LumaFusion tip is you can chromakey the black out of AUM screen recordings pretty easily and superimpose them over some other thing. Like I did here, don’t mind that fact that I’m not really a Recorder player.

>

Loving your mellow vibe, and learning something about LumaFusion. 241. :)

• The OP used that chroma key effect on AUM as well. Looks so good

• @DMan said:

Interesting... Hadn't thought of keying out the black....

This whole video editing this is fascinating. I really enjoy doing it but my fear is going too crazy with the effects and having everything look like amateur hour. I'm trying to find more subtle ways of using them and they aren't necessarily subtle effects. That's a good one, I'll have to mess with that.

I also just watched Henny's video about LUTS and will be using those more too.

Unfortunately there was very little reaction to the weird guy with all the wires on his table bopping his head with his phones on... I just looked like another aging hipster dufus.

• @Daveypoo said:
    Interesting... Hadn't thought of keying out the black....

Oh, I thought that’s how you got the effect at the 15:30 point in your video. Anyway, looks good