Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM: Stuck at 44.1 kHz?!?

tjatja
edited June 2018 in General App Discussion

While testing around with some Synth in my DAWs, all of them could save a change to sample rate, bit deep and buffer size in the settings.

All beside AUM.

It can save the bit deep, but not the sample rate and the not "high quality" setting.
Instead, it returns every time to the default values (44.1 and Off).
I never noticed this until now.

It is not supposed to do so, as this is part of the settings and in the settings, a user expects to set something and then forget about the settings!

Is my installation buggy and I should re-install?
Or is AUM buggy in this regard?

@j_liljedahl

Comments

• edited June 2018

I can answer a little on this, Some synths will allow AUM To change their sample rate and some don’t.

A procedure you can do is close all the apps in the background and open AUM first, change to the sample rate you want your audio device to be at and then open one of your apps and see if the sample rate stays the same. Then continue this so you can find out which apps do not allow sample rate conversion.

I sure others on the forum can add to this and be more detailed 😊

• wimwim
    edited June 2018

You explained it well. It’s a free for all who can change the sample rate and when in iOS. AUM isn’t buggy in this regard as far as I know.

@tja are you still hanging out on an old iOS version? That could maybe be a factor as well.

• it becomes even more complicated when adding the hardware settings of an external interface, if present.
    (I have no ideas about priority rules according to developer guidelines/specs...)

• I noticed this effect without even loading a Synth.

As i was testing with different settings, i noticed that AUM did reset those settings every time i started it again!

To reproduce (if it´s not just my iPad), you can simply do this:

Start AUM, go to settings, change to 48 kHz and enable high audio quality.

Then just kill AUM and start it again, go to settings - and on my iPad, it then is again at 44.1 kHz and has high quality disabled.

This is not how a "setting" should work!

It can same the bit deep and the buffer size, but not those two settings.

• You probably have an app running in the background

• @theinvisibleman said:
    You probably have an app running in the background

OK, so that is not what you see?

Going to hard-reboot that thing ....

• edited June 2018

Rebooting the iPad will work. Then do as I mentioned before.

Do you know how to clear background apps?

• tjatja
    edited June 2018

@theinvisibleman said:
    Reboot will work then open AUM first and try what I mentioned before ☺️

What you wrote before does not fit my problem.

I can set any sample rate i want - but when i kill AUM and
    restart it, it is back to 44.1 kHz

I did not start any Synth ...

• After Hard-Reboot it is still the same.

Are you sure that you see a different behavior?

I am at iPad 9.7 on iOS 11.4

• Do you know how to clear background apps?

Then try setting AUM

• tjatja
    edited June 2018

I tested the same with AudioShare and here, i get an explanation:

• Yes, probably another app has set the sample rate.

• @theinvisibleman said:
    Do you know how to clear background apps?

Then try setting AUM

Thanks, but those are "normal" Apps, not background apps.

I constantly kill any normal Apps, the list is always empty, beside the Apps i currently use.

I did a hard-reboot to get away with real background apps, but as you see, this did not help.

• Ok man, guess I can’t help

• I think the output from AudioShare may help.

But then, i would expect AUM to behave the same for all users, not just me.

Again, are you sure that you see a different behavior?

Set 48 kHz in AUM settings, kill AUM, restart AUM and check the settings again.
    For me, it is always back at 44.1 kHz

From the AudioShare messages, i can assume that my hardware settings are fixed at 44.1

That may also just mean, that the hardware setting snap back to their defaults when the App changing them was killed.

• edited June 2018

Yes because you have another app using the sample rate at 44khz

• I’m sure someone else will explain it better than me soon

• tjatja
    edited June 2018

@theinvisibleman said:
    Yes because you have another app using the sample rate a 44khz

No, i have not.
    I even made a hard-reboot to make this sure.

I think, that AUM is re-setting the hardware rate to 44.1 kHz automatically.

I tested this with havign AudioShare open, changing there the hardware settingst to 48 kHz and also the current settings of AudioShare to 48 kHz - then i opened AUM and it did show 44.1
    I switched back to AudioShare (which i did not kill meanwhile) and then, it again complained about a bad setting of 48 because the hardware was (again) set to 44.1!

So, this seems to proove that AUM automatically changes the hardware settings back to default!

Only @j_liljedahl can help in this puzzle :smile:

• edited June 2018

Ok I let some else pick up the batten.

• tjatja
    edited June 2018

Steps to reproduce:

1. Kill all Apps, maybe even make a hard-reboot
    2. Start AUM, go to settings, change to 48 kHz and enable High Quality
    3. Kill AUM
    4. Start AUM, check settings: They are back at 44.1 kHz and High Quality disabled

You can afterwards continue so:

1. Start AUM again, set again to 48 kHz and enabled High Quality
    2. Start AudioShare, go to microphone, open settings, set there to 48 kHz, then open Hardware settings and change this also to 48 kHz, and disabled Measurement mode (High Quality On).
    3. Switch to AUM, check that it again shows 48 kHz (even as we did NOT kill it
    4. Switch back to AudioShare, it now complains again, that 48 kHz does not fit to the hardware rate, which again is at 44.1
  • edited June 2018

It's probably just a misunderstanding: the setup tab gives you access to hardware settings, but you have to save them under a name to make the change persistent.
    I repeated your steps with 2 interfaces and it always reacted according to your description.
    After saving the (empty) session with modified sample rate, those values were recalled.
    So the setup tab doesn't store entries as defaults, which would be the common expectation.

• tjatja
    edited June 2018

@Telefunky said:
    It's probably just a misunderstanding: the setup tab gives you access to hardware settings, but you have to save them under a name to make the change persistent.
    I repeated your steps with 2 interfaces and it always reacted according to your description.
    After saving the (empty) session with modified sample rate, those values were recalled.
    So the setup tab doesn't store entries as defaults, which would be the common expectation.

That would mean, that each session (save file) has it´s own setting - this is not exactly what i did expect from a setting ;)

I tested this and you are right, the sample rate will be saved, this way!

But the High Quality setting still get´s lost.

Anyway, this is more than confusing, as buffer size and Bit Depth DO always remember their setting!

So, the different attributes are handled differently at least.
    In summary, i think that there is something wrong.

Esp. when you see that AUM seems to reset the hardware settings, so that AudioShare then complains! In this case, the hardware setting should of course stay at where AudioShare set them - as it is still running!

Many thanks for the explanation and the hint, to save a session first ;)

• yes, additional confusion: it also seems to depend on the interface connected.
    When I switched my iCA4+ to 48k the change was not displayed on the settings surface, but the correct values were marked as selected in the poup menu of the respective button(s)...

• tjatja
    edited June 2018

To summarize this:

AUM settings do not save the general defaults for all attributes, as you would expect.

It does set the defaults for some of them, like buffer size and bit depth.
    It does not set them for sample rate and high quality (maybe more).

You can save those settings in your session file, so that they will be recalled, even for the sample rate.
    But this does not work for high quality, which resets every time to "off".

But then, AUM seems to reset the sample rate to the default of 44.1 kHz everytime it get´s started.
    And this, even when another app (AudioShare in this case), had set them to different values!
    It just overrules the other app.

As far as i remember, it should be the other way around: The first app that changes the setting defines what the other apps need to live with.

Expected behavior:

Saving ALL attributes as new defaults, when changing them.
    In sessions files, those defaults could then be changed and loaded again.
    And, that AUM respects the current hardware settings, when there are other apps running.

• High quality aka 'measurement mode' only applies to the internal sound hardware - it's ignored with an external interface.

• That's right, AUM does try to set 44.1kHz at launch since this is kind of the standard sample rate and I thought it would be best to start with that. If any other recording-enabled background app is running, AUM will not be allowed to set the sample rate or buffer size.

The sample rate is saved and restored with the session.

I can easily change it so it uses whatever the current sample rate is when launched, but I'm not sure that's a good idea. I can also make it use 44.1 only the first time it's launched, and then remember the current setting as a user default for the next launch. That's how it works for buffer size currently. What do you think?

By the way, the buffer size is not saved in the session, which is because I think the buffer size is more connected with the current setup including hardware etc. You often don't want to accidentally change the buffer size when loading another session, for example. But perhaps it makes little sense that the sample rate is saved with the session in that case.

• @j_liljedahl said:
    That's right, AUM does try to set 44.1kHz at launch since this is kind of the standard sample rate and I thought it would be best to start with that. If any other recording-enabled background app is running, AUM will not be allowed to set the sample rate or buffer size.

I can easily change it so it uses whatever the current sample rate is when launched, but I'm not sure that's a good idea. I can also make it use 44.1 only the first time it's launched, and then remember the current setting as a user default for the next launch. That's how it works for buffer size currently. What do you think?

By the way, the buffer size is not saved in the session, which is because I think the buffer size is more connected with the current setup including hardware etc. You often don't want to accidentally change the buffer size when loading another session, for example. But perhaps it makes little sense that the sample rate is saved with the session in that case.

Perhaps it might be good to have some settings where you could save presets where the sample rate and buffer size are loaded into the preset. If you try to load the preset and the current state of iOS doesn’t let you do this, an error message window with an explanation could come up?

IAA zombies continue to be a plague for iOS. I’ve even had instances where closing out open IAA apps and shutting down the iPad didn’t get rid of all of the IAA zombie apps which I only knew existed because their MIDI ports continued to show up in AUM’s MIDI matrix. Open the zombie IAA app and closing them resolved the issue.

• @j_liljedahl said:
    That's right, AUM does try to set 44.1kHz at launch since this is kind of the standard sample rate and I thought it would be best to start with that. If any other recording-enabled background app is running, AUM will not be allowed to set the sample rate or buffer size.

Yes, i think that a clear separation in what get´s saved into a profile and what not, would help.
    Right now, this is quite confusing and sure does not do what people would expect from a "setting".

When you start AUM without loading a profile, you should be able to set the "general defaults" for all sessions.
    And this could be overloaded by loading a profile that had different settings applied.

I still think, that saving all attributes in the profiles is the way to go, not just some of them.
    Yes, you may change settings by loading a profile, but then you know what you do and need - and could save different profiles for different purposes.

About AUM not changing the sample rate back to 44.1 when it starts, this does not seem to apply to AudioShare, from what i saw in my tests.
    But maybe AudioShare does not quality as such an app - or only when actually recording something.

Thanks bunch for your reply!

BTW, also "High Quality" does not get saved ... which i would like to have in all profiles and as default.

Hopefully, i could make clear what i wanted to say :blush:

• edited June 2018

Aaaahhh zombie IAA apps, that’s interesting! Could explain some issues with stuck sample rate.

• @tja said:

@j_liljedahl said:

Yes, i think that a clear separation in what get´s saved into a profile and what not, would help.
    Right now, this is quite confusing and sure does not do what people would expect from a "setting".

When you start AUM without loading a profile, you should be able to set the "general defaults" for all sessions.
    And this could be overloaded by loading a profile that had different settings applied.

I still think, that saving all attributes in the profiles is the way to go, not just some of them.
    Yes, you may change settings by loading a profile, but then you know what you do and need - and could save different profiles for different purposes.

With profile, do you mean what I call "session" in AUM?

About AUM not changing the sample rate back to 44.1 when it starts, this does not seem to apply to AudioShare, from what i saw in my tests.
    But maybe AudioShare does not quality as such an app - or only when actually recording something.

No, but it only matters if the app is running in the background. For AudioShare, that means recording or playing or hosting.

Thanks bunch for your reply!

BTW, also "High Quality" does not get saved ... which i would like to have in all profiles and as default.

I still think that buffer size and measurement mode ("high quality") is not much related to the saved session/project. When you set any of those settings, in most cases you want them to stick that way and not change when you load another session file. Sample rate is a bit different, since it can affect the functioning of hosted apps (some works bad at other than 44.1) and is also a setting that actually changes something in external audio interfaces. (But I see that I added saving of sample rate to session file in a later update, probably from a user request).

BTW, measurement mode only matters for built-in speaker and microphone of the device. Usually not something you'd use for any real musical purposes, although the built-in mic is surprisingly good sometimes.

Hopefully, i could make clear what i wanted to say :blush:

No worries :)