Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SynthMaster One - MPE functionality issues! It won‘t work!

@Enkerli said:
Anything from the MPE crowd? Does it work for you with some MPE controller? Still investigating my issues with Lightpad.

The Roli LightPad will not work as expected. I have to hit the pad very hard to get maybe a tone. Only sometimes I get a tone, mostly not! No way to play scales. In the moment it’s unplayable... 😩

May I miss some important settings @kv331audio_bulent ?

The Roli SeaBoard Block
Is working as like a normal Midi-Keyboard. I can not see/hear any MPE functionality.

These issues I have in the standalone version of SynthMaster One. When I connect SM1 as an AU in Garagband everything works as expected. Also in VOLT or NOISE my controllers works fine.

If I‘m not missing a essential setting, I suggest checking the MPE functionality again... 😎
Thanks a lot!
@kv331audio @kv331audio_bulent

Comments

• In case this helps, as I reported in the original thread it does work fine with Artiphon Instrument1.

• It’s a fun synth when it works and it’s one of the few with MPE support. But that support is a bit shallow, maybe because of the part of the MPE spec about channel 1 as “zone master channel”. Given ROLI’s involvement in the MPE spec, my guess is that their controllers respond to the letter of the spec. Maybe other controllers are looser about it?

So, this is with ROLI Lightpad Blocks. (Reinstalling GeoShred to test it as MPE controller. Nope, no luck. Works with PPG Infinite, but not with SM1.)

Glad that @Masanga can use it with Artiphon. Haven’t tried it with my Eigenharp (as it requires a more elaborate setup). But it sounds like we’re beta testing. Some sounds are really neat, but it may not be ready for primetime.
    (My other MPE softsynths all work as expected, from ROLI Noise and PPG Infinite to Volt and Model 15.)
    Obviously, the update didn’t help.

In my case, even in GB, there are multiple quirks which make it stop working after a minute. It’s quite nice when it works but it’s not so much fun when you get stuck notes, missed notes, or lose velocity control.

Will wait for the stable release before spending more time on it. ;)

• What sort of MPE specific message is the Lightpad Block transmitting ?
    are you testing it with "CC74->CC1" setting turned on ?
    are you testing with presets that have velocity and modwheel (cc1) modulations?

so are you saying it works with SM1 desktop but not SM1 ios ?

• My ROLI Seaboard RISE 49 seems to be working with SynthMaster One iOS; however, I had to dial in the up and down pitch bend to 48 to make what ROLI defines as Glide to work. I could not get a vibrato of individual notes on most patches. Slide worked the best as far as expression goes. I don’t know if it is because I assigned the “Y” Axis keyboard setting to Modulation or not?

@kv331audio_bulent, are some of the patches assigned to more or less MPE 5-touch sensitivity over other patches? It seems to be a mixed bag. Some patches respond well to expression, but most do not.

• You should have velocity and cc1 modwheel as modulation sources in your preset and should turn on cc74 to cc1 setting

• Hi @kv331audio_bulent and @Enkerli

I’m resurrecting this thread because I’ve had a lot of success today using my Roli lightblock with SM One.

However, initially I had problems connecting. Hooking my Roli lightblock to SM One via Bluetooth was very odd. I could see the pitch bend wheel on SM One responding to my glide gestures on my Lightblock but could not hear any sound as I hit notes on the lightblock. I launched Midiflow and used that to connect the lightblock Bluetooth to SM One’s VM port. Again, nothing. But in the end creating a new virtual port in Midi Flow and connecting the Roli Lightblock In to the Midiflow virtual port, then going into SM One and selecting the Midiflow virtual port, worked!

Once this was set up - all worked well.

On each patch you have to:

• change SM One’s pitchbend up and down to be 48
    • Ensure cc74 - cc01 is enabled (which converts the lightblock’s per note slide to control whatever the patch’s mod wheel is set to). ( @kv331audio_bulent is this then per voice?). Although alternatively I think you could switch this off and just assign cc74 to things in the mod matrix. Is that correct @kv331audio_bulent ? And if so, is cc74 modulation per voice?
    • Use Poly Aftertouch in the mod matrix to assign ‘press’ pressure.
    • Assign velocity (try the patch ‘Jans Hammer’ - this works great!)

So of the ‘5D’ that 4 of them above that all seem to be workable. You have to get in and make the patches more MPE friendly. But once you do - I’m hearing some nice results!

I’d be interested to hear how others get on.

• Hey Matt! Glad you’re thinking about MPE since that’ll be a killer feature for the masterful AudioKit Pro Synth One (not to be confused with this audioful SynthMaster One).

in the end creating a new virtual port in Midi Flow and connecting the Roli Lightblock In to the Midiflow virtual port, then going into SM One and selecting the Midiflow virtual port, worked!

Quite a workaround!
    A bit too much for me, at this point.

My situation is:

• standalone SM1 simply only responds to my Lightpad M once every few notes (even though it’s in Omni mode);
    • as AU in apeMatrix, SM1 sticks with every note and creates something like feedback (my ears are still buzzing);
    • same situation as AU in Audiobus 3.1 beta (build 36), though the stuck notes and feedback are lower pitched, for some reason;
    • as AU in AUM, SM1 responds normally to the Lightpad as long as it’s been setup properly in the standalone (and there’s no obvious way to save patches from the AU version);
    • as IAA from AUM, it works properly and it’s possible to change things in the standalone (but, obviously, no AU benefit like multiple instances or direct parameter modulation);
    • same thing as IAA from apeMatrix;
    • same thing as IAA from AB3 (even though it warns me that SM1 wasn’t updated to the right SDK);

So, in IAA or in AUv3 from AUM, SM1 responds to slide and glide as it should (individual notes modulate or pitchbend independently).

Here’s what one briefly hit note sounds like, when it gets stuck (AU in AB3):

(Did hit a second note after 10 seconds or so, which is where SM1 showed 0 voice playing but was still sounding like a clogged drain.)

I’d be interested to hear how others get on.

Are you sure of that? The clogged drain is ok but the screeching in apeMatrix was pretty annoying in a way that very loud Heavy Metal isn’t. Nails on a blackboard.

• Actually I’m not to be confused with the AudioKit / Synth One Matt who I believe is called Matt Fletcer.

Anyway, sorry to hear you’re Block isn’t working with SynthMaster One.

I’ve just this evening got it working well with SynthMaster One inside Garage Band (which records MPE midi - which is great!)

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Actually I’m not to be confused with the AudioKit / Synth One Matt who I believe is called Matt Fletcer.

Ha! Sorry about that. Had noticed the potential confusion before but got distracted by the release. Sorry again.

I’ve just this evening got it working well with SynthMaster One inside Garage Band (which records MPE midi - which is great!)

Right. That does work, including the bigger AU screen. Might need to reinstall GB just for this. Guess the DAWfree isn’t for everyone.

• I’ve been trying to get my ROLI seaboard block to work properly in SM1, but haven’t had much success. Pitch Bend works fine, and I can even see the pitch wheel turn on the screen, coinciding with my pichbend on the ROLI.

Sliding gestures barely register when i set the Y axis controller to modulation wheel. It’s been so frustrating, making it not fun to use the ROLI.

If I slide up and down a key on my iPad screen keyboard, it works properly and I have visual confirmation by seeing the mod wheel go up and down on the screen. Not on the ROLI, though.

Extra pressure doesn’t really do anything, either.

I believe my settings are right. MPE enabled .......cc74 to cc1.....pitch Bend to 48....

Ugh.

• Synthmaster One is crashing Auria as an AU.