Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I want to give away a lot of music apps! For free!

Question: Why can't I give away my purchased apps?

I have been using an iPad since the 1st generation in 2010.
Over the years, countless unused apps have accumulated. So I have a lot of unused music programs that don't make sense to me anymore.

There are beginners in iOS music with not so much money to whom I would like to leave my unused apps. Free of charge and as a gift.

However, this does not seem to be possible.
Why is there no way to transfer apps from one Apple user account to another?

I think there really should be a rethink on Apple's part.
Very sad that everyone always has to buy everything new!

How many unused apps do you have that would make other people happy if you can give them away?

What do you think about that?

Comments

• It would create a used market that would cut into Apple profits.

• ... and cut developers' profits twice as hard as Apple's ;)

• On plus note
    I red on the web today that Apple are going to allow free trails on apps, before purchasing...
    Not sure if it's iOS 12 or sooner.
    That will help all of us

• @Telefunky said:
    ... and cut developers' profits twice as hard as Apple's ;)

Dev, shmev! ;)

• @Nicebutfun said:
    On plus note
    I red on the web today that Apple are going to allow free trails on apps, before purchasing...
    Not sure if it's iOS 12 or sooner.
    That will help all of us

Yah to me having a timer on a 'free for now' app would maybe give me more motivation to really commit to it for X time versus one I bought and am sitting on / got distracted / forgot about. Hopefully it is good for all parties concerned.

• edited June 2018

If you have someone in mind as a worthy candidate, maybe you could use the Family Sharing feature to link their account to yours. I don’t know much about it more then that it is there, but I may try to link my kid’s new account to mine to share all of my app purchases that have the Family Share capability. Check it out for potential risks, though. Could be sketchy linking to someone you don’t know too well.

• Welcome to Apple's sandbox. It sucks in many ways.

• It's not a "sandbox"... It's a "walled Garden". I do have a family sharing program set up and my music loving daughter can download any of the dozens of music Apps I have purchased. The In App Purchases are NOT freely extended to a 2nd user however and those Colossus Piano's I bought are all IAP's. So, are the Korg Module IAP's. So, they cannot be gifted. Apple will NOT allow a re-sale market or even a gift of Apps because we walked in the dorr willingly and signed up to their terms. Go figure. The alternative was an insure market riddle with malware (or so we assumed) after watching shareware become a virus pit.

• @McDtracy said:
    It's not a "sandbox"... It's a "walled Garden". I do have a family sharing program set up and my music loving daughter can download any of the dozens of music Apps I have purchased. The In App Purchases are NOT freely extended to a 2nd user however and those Colossus Piano's I bought are all IAP's. So, are the Korg Module IAP's. So, they cannot be gifted. Apple will NOT allow a re-sale market or even a gift of Apps because we walked in the dorr willingly and signed up to their terms. Go figure. The alternative was an insure market riddle with malware (or so we assumed) after watching shareware become a virus pit.

Thanks for the info on the Family Sharing experience. I am about to wade into those unfamiliar waters. :)

• edited June 2018

Friend a mine “gifted” apps by gifting a device that was loaded with his apps, but was signed out of all accounts. Walled sandbox in the sense no more updates or purchases for that user/ family member.

• By coincidence, I just added this to the PolyStep ARP thread...

An idea I had a while ago was for an ‘App Exchange’ facility. How this would work, is when sonone has bought and app decides it wasn’t what they thought, or perhaps just isn’t getting used enough, they could add it to to ‘App Exchange’ where on a first come first served basis, anyone interested could buy it for 50% of the original cost, or maybe even less. Perhaps 20% each to developer and seller, the rest going as a market fee to Apple. Digitally transferring any license to use it, automatically.

In this manner, the many thousands of apps that languish on iPads would get recycled, and everyone involved makes something extra.

• edited June 2018

@chandroji said:
    Question: Why can't I give away my purchased apps?

I have been using an iPad since the 1st generation in 2010.
    Over the years, countless unused apps have accumulated. So I have a lot of unused music programs that don't make sense to me anymore.

There are beginners in iOS music with not so much money to whom I would like to leave my unused apps. Free of charge and as a gift.

However, this does not seem to be possible.
    Why is there no way to transfer apps from one Apple user account to another?

I think there really should be a rethink on Apple's part.
    Very sad that everyone always has to buy everything new!

How many unused apps do you have that would make other people happy if you can give them away?

What do you think about that?

Aside from the problem of giving away dev's profits, I don't know from a technical standpoint what it would take to implement a system like this. With pro software, often costing hundreds of dollars, it may be worth going through the process of transferring your license to someone else. What level of complexity would Apple have to add to the App Store in order to have millions of people passing around millions of apps that cost a very small amount of money to begin with? It's probably just not a cost effective way of doing things, and making money is why Apple exists to bring us these cool toys.

• I just have one thing to say about this topic
    Apple wants your money.......

• @Nicebutfun This is true but the dev has to allow that option in the first place

• edited June 2018

I don’t think it’s a good idea...

If you are a newcomer to iOS , there’s a bunch of free and low cost music creation apps already to download (including Garageband)...

So, if you new, have tested free apps and they not good enough, you might be that pro that you can buy at least a few more advanced apps...

My mind goes first to all developers that make all the hard work, meanwhile Apple Inc. just sitting on their ass and counting money!

This topic that owning digital content is complex.
    Do you remember that Hollywood actor Bruce Willis was testing this legally against Apple for a few years back?

Bruce had bought music in iTunes for more that $50000, but, had discovered that his children never could inherit his collection of digital content...

So, when a person die or delete his/her account everything will disappear...

• edited June 2018

Thanks a lot for all your feedback!
    I can understand most point of views you are mentioning. The Devs works hard, making amazing apps and sure I want also that they earn money with their work. No problem with that...

As a long time musician I’ve spend quite a lot of money in software. In the past it was not possible to return an app back to Apple when it was not fitting me needs. So I spend a quite big amount of € just to test them out. A free Trial was not possible. What to do with all this unused software?

One more thing I experienced with my desktop vst‘s.
    I have a quite big licensed Quantum Leap East West Samplelibrary which is quite expensive. It’s not possible to sell this stuff I can’t give the software even for free to a friend. The same with all the Spectrasonic stuff like Omnisphere. All the American company’s don’t allow buyers to give the software away.

In Germany it’s different!
    One of the biggest player worldwide Native Instruments allow license transfer and they make it very easy. You can do it in your user account, you just need a few clicks. Same with Ableton. No problem to transfer your license to someone else without any trouble and costs. I think with Steinberg Cubase it’s the same...

So you see it can be possible. I don’t think Native Instruments or Ableton will loose with this practice.

Many greetings from Berlin!
    Native Instruments and Ableton comes also from Berlin... ;)

• Hard to compare the App Store to the relatively tiny number of products that Native Instruments or Ableton sell for usually more than 10 times the price of a typical iOS app. Again, Apple is a partner in the selling of many millions of very low-cost apps. There must be significant overhead in safely and fairly managing the transfer of millions of licenses. And where does it end? What if the gifted person who couldn’t afford to buy the little iOS app decides they don’t want it either? Can they then pass it on to a third person? I don’t see this happening.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    By coincidence, I just added this to the PolyStep ARP thread...

An idea I had a while ago was for an ‘App Exchange’ facility. How this would work, is when sonone has bought and app decides it wasn’t what they thought, or perhaps just isn’t getting used enough, they could add it to to ‘App Exchange’ where on a first come first served basis, anyone interested could buy it for 50% of the original cost, or maybe even less. Perhaps 20% each to developer and seller, the rest going as a market fee to Apple. Digitally transferring any license to use it, automatically.

In this manner, the many thousands of apps that languish on iPads would get recycled, and everyone involved makes something extra.

I like this idea.

• @The Krazy Wabbit said:

@[Deleted User] said:

I like this idea.

Can't happen. The iOS App Store doesn't have the mechanism and is never likely to have it.

• @wim said:

@The Krazy Wabbit said:

@[Deleted User] said:

I like this idea.

Can't happen. The iOS App Store doesn't have the mechanism and is never likely to have it.

+1

• Anything can happen.

Won't happen is more likely because we are not capable of doing the right thing.