Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Priorities For App Development?

For me I feel like the AU/LINK think is great.

But I would like to see a priority or urgency PUT BACK on size, CPU use, and things like that.

With many things I find lately, unless I am on a new iPad or have almost little to nothing open the apps eat up CPU for me.

For instance, Model 15 worked fine for me.

Then AB3 and AU stuff was added to Model 15 and it never ran as smooth again for me. At least not with other apps open.

Layr.

Model D.

These are amazing apps.

But honestly, I have a hard time using them because they require so much juice out of an Air2 I pass many times for other less intensive apps.

Animoog runs fine. I can run the iPhone version with the iPad version and Patterning--- no issue.

I don't get why Model 15 and D can't run along side Animoog.

Maybe AB3 or AU are really draining with these apps?

I just hope that size and CPU are still important to developers.

Otherwise, I feel like no one wins with cpu hungry apps that just ask so much of each iOS device.

What say you?

Am I off base?

Or have you ran into similar things?

Granted I have a new iPad en route but I mean for my older devices and other people.

Comments

• Just wait for the performance boost from iOS 12. :smile:

• edited June 2018

Maybe they can have features like being able to set the oversampling amount up to 4x like in :heart: Synthmaster One (coming in the next update apparently)? Good sensible CPU saving (and consuming) friendly things developing there.

Personaly I want to max out my CPU whenever possible.

• Yeah love me some Model D etc, but they make my Air2 groan.

Thing is it’s often been the case that some devs will push whatever spec there is available. So yeah, love some of the apps that keep their needed resources low.

On the other hand, I’m glad we have the choice of some synths that really push the limits too. I would however look at the resources use in other ways - scale of importance. By this I mean what are the resources used for? Take Model15 with its fancy graphics - not important to myself - so, I would like to see devs keep a firm handle on sound over graphics.

Other issues may be due to the current lack of AU development direction available. I believe that it’s early days though and devs are learning fast. In time I’m sure that resources will be more readily available and devs will be getting even more out of available spec.

• wimwim
    edited June 2018

The only priority that really matters is whether apps support custom colors and skinning. C'mon guys, stop trying to muddy the waters.

• @RUST( i )K The Moog apps have trouble in AU on my 2017 Pro. It’s fine if you load it and forget about it, but any time I try to adjust things on it it starts crackling and popping. I was almost about to use Model 15 for gigging on my Air 2 a few months back. I had Galileo and I needed a synth and Model 15 was one of my potential choices. On the Air 2 I was worried about getting crackles because I was, but my iPad Pro wasn’t safe either. I remember when Model 15 was much more stable, in fact Model 15 was the app that pushed to to buy an iPad as I realized there is no way I want to keep using it on my phone.

• I think the difference between Animoog and the newer 2 is the graphics of the UI. The new ones use that Metal crap to look all fancy, but at the cost of audio performance. Apple has that stupid bug with the graphics taking priority over all, especially audio for some dumb reason. So they need to cool it with the unnecessarily realistic looking interface trend. Waste of resources.

• @wim said:
    The only priority that really matters is whether apps support custom colors and skinning. C'mon guys, stop trying to muddy the waters.

And emojis... yum!

• edited June 2018

@CracklePot said:
    I think the difference between Animoog and the newer 2 is the graphics of the UI. The new ones use that Metal crap to look all fancy, but at the cost of audio performance. Apple has that stupid bug with the graphics taking priority over all, especially audio for some dumb reason. So they need to cool it with the unnecessarily realistic looking interface trend. Waste of resources.

That’s my understanding as well. I mean, my iPad4 can run Animoog along with several other synths at the same time and it’s way behind the specs of the Air’s and etc. that alone tells me that it can’t be just a CPU issue.

• @TozBourne said:

@CracklePot said:
    I think the difference between Animoog and the newer 2 is the graphics of the UI. The new ones use that Metal crap to look all fancy, but at the cost of audio performance. Apple has that stupid bug with the graphics taking priority over all, especially audio for some dumb reason. So they need to cool it with the unnecessarily realistic looking interface trend. Waste of resources.

That’s my understanding as well. I mean, my iPad4 can run Animoog along with several other synths at the same time and it’s way behind the specs of the Air’s and etc. that alone tells me that it can’t be just a CPU issue.

I think MOOG are going after some larger market of nostalgic synth fans. They really want to give the user an experience like using the real (expensive) ones, but at super-bargain prices. These people probably only use it in standalone mode to screw around and marvel at the incredible sounds. Nothing wrong with that.

But seriously...

They need a lightweight graphics option for the rest of us who are trying to integrate these apps into something akin to an actual music production pipeline. I don’t know if that type of setting or option would be easy or even possible to do, though. I suppose they could make new versions and sell them to us again. Lol, imagine the dust that would kick up. :D

• This is a where a good sampler comes in handy. You can dump samples into it and free up CPU.

• @DMan said:
    @RUST( i )K The Moog apps have trouble in AU on my 2017 Pro. It’s fine if you load it and forget about it, but any time I try to adjust things on it it starts crackling and popping. I was almost about to use Model 15 for gigging on my Air 2 a few months back. I had Galileo and I needed a synth and Model 15 was one of my potential choices. On the Air 2 I was worried about getting crackles because I was, but my iPad Pro wasn’t safe either. I remember when Model 15 was much more stable, in fact Model 15 was the app that pushed to to buy an iPad as I realized there is no way I want to keep using it on my phone.

Really?

Wow.

• @CracklePot said:

Great point.

• @e121 said:
    This is a where a good sampler comes in handy. You can dump samples into it and free up CPU.

True.

But I like to modulate/automate live on about 5-6 parameters so I need access to the actual synth.

• @TozBourne said:

@CracklePot said:

So what do you think it is bro?

• @RUST( i )K said:
    For me I feel like the AU/LINK think is great.

But I would like to see a priority or urgency PUT BACK on size, CPU use, and things like that.

With many things I find lately, unless I am on a new iPad or have almost little to nothing open the apps eat up CPU for me.

For instance, Model 15 worked fine for me.

Then AB3 and AU stuff was added to Model 15 and it never ran as smooth again for me. At least not with other apps open.

Layr.

Model D.

These are amazing apps.

But honestly, I have a hard time using them because they require so much juice out of an Air2 I pass many times for other less intensive apps.

Animoog runs fine. I can run the iPhone version with the iPad version and Patterning--- no issue.

I don't get why Model 15 and D can't run along side Animoog.

Maybe AB3 or AU are really draining with these apps?

I just hope that size and CPU are still important to developers.

Otherwise, I feel like no one wins with cpu hungry apps that just ask so much of each iOS device.

What say you?

Am I off base?

Or have you ran into similar things?

Granted I have a new iPad en route but I mean for my older devices and other people.

Completely agree, I’m finding with each app and iOS update, the list of apps I can run comfortably is getting smaller.

LayR, the Moogs, Zeeon etc. all cause my Air 2 to struggle. Gadget drains the battery and overheats.

If it wasn’t for devs such as Brambos and Audio Damage making CPU friendly apps, I doubt I’d use my iPad at all for music now.

It’ll be interesting to see what improvements iOS 12 brings, but i’ll refrain from updating the heavy-hitters - just in case they decide to take advantage of the free resources and fill them up with new whistles and bells.

• Moog switched to using metal shaders for their UI - this isn't the most performant graphics mode (although it might be the only option soon!).

I also thing every IOS since 10 has added lag to what ou used to be able to do. Not much we can really do about that....

• R_2R_2
    edited June 2018

@MonzoPro said:
    Gadget drains the battery and overheats.

Gadget takes the crown for me. Bad cpu management.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@TozBourne said:

@CracklePot said:

I was agreeing with CracklePot that it’s probably the use of “Metal” for their graphics that eats up more than its fair share of iOS resources. Maybe the alleged improved performance of iOS12 will take care of some of these issues?

• @TozBourne said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@TozBourne said:

@CracklePot said:

I was agreeing with CracklePot that it’s probably the use of “Metal” for their graphics that eats up more than its fair share of iOS resources. Maybe the alleged improved performance of iOS12 will take care of some of these issues?

I really hope it's not Metal causing these issues....ALL apps will have to use Metal before long as OpenGL support is being removed.
    It is more likely that it is the graphics taking priority over the audio that is the root cause of these issues. If that priority change is a deliberate and permanent move, that may well spell the end for iOS music making....as has been proven on this forum, even the newer more powerful devices suffer the same issues. If this is the case then ipads will be relegated to being control surfaces or sequencers or a single synth or single FX unit within a larger setup.

• edited June 2018

There is no rational reason why AU would be responsible for high CPU/resource usage. Not even 1% of all activity (more like 0.001%) happens in the AU framework itself. Virtually all CPU usage happens in the synth engines, regardless of whether they're packaged inside an AU, IAA or AB app.

It is things like the amount of oversampling, clever use of SIMD/vector programming, and the developer knowing how to effectively use a profiler that makes or breaks an app in terms of CPU load.

So the age-old conundrum for devs is: to focus on getting the most out of today's hardware or to do inclusive development and creatively cut corners in order to support "old" hardware. And that's more a philosophical choice rather than a technical constraint B)

• Hasn't there always been a struggle between software & hardware development, since computing began? Isn't it the engine that constantly drives the technology forward, or is that a far too simplistic understanding of it?

• @brambos said:
    So the age-old conundrum for devs is: to focus on getting the most out of today's hardware or to do inclusive development and creatively cut corners in order to support "old" hardware.

Korg almost managed to do both with Gadget. Still ‘running’ on iPad 2, but on modern devices (A9 and up?) there’s an inexcusable heat and battery consumption.
    As if it’s maxing out cpu load whenever it can.
    So I feel it worked out the wrong way. My iPad 2 is fine if I jam live on the Lisbon gadget, while my Pro 9.7 and iPhone SE literally burn through the battery 🔥