Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Rozeta Scaler (new Rozeta module)

124»

Comments

• @RajahP said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@RajahP said:
    Custom Scales?

Wondering about this as well. I've been trying to find out how to set any of the Rozeta auto-generator plugins (Particles, etc.) to a scale that is not on the list of scales - like harmonic major, altered scale (aka "altered dominant" aka "Super Locrian"), etc. Of course microtonal scales would be sweet but that might be too much to ask.

So is user scales/custom scales a feature that's already there in Rozeta but I just haven't found it yet? Or is this more of a job for Mozaic?

Good question, can Mozaic do custom scales?

Mozaic by itself can't do anything because the user has to write a script with it. That said, it looks like somebody did a custom scale script with Mozaic. Well, I see one in there. There might be more?

https://patchstorage.com/platform/mozaic/

• @RajahP said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@RajahP said:
    Custom Scales?

Wondering about this as well. I've been trying to find out how to set any of the Rozeta auto-generator plugins (Particles, etc.) to a scale that is not on the list of scales - like harmonic major, altered scale (aka "altered dominant" aka "Super Locrian"), etc. Of course microtonal scales would be sweet but that might be too much to ask.

So is user scales/custom scales a feature that's already there in Rozeta but I just haven't found it yet? Or is this more of a job for Mozaic?

Oh yeah, forgot about Xynthesizr. It will allows custom scales, though limited to 12-note/octave equal temperament. Another limitation is it's IAA and Apple is planning to kill IAA.

Other than that, one could just use a synth/sampler app that can load Scala files or otherwise allow custom scales, but then when used with Rozeta, it could be confusing if you pick one of the built-in scales there, and then your receiving app has a different scale loaded.

• @GovernorSilver said:

@RajahP said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@RajahP said:
    Custom Scales?

Mozaic by itself can't do anything because the user has to write a script with it. That said, it looks like somebody did a custom scale script with Mozaic. Well, I see one in there. There might be more?

Looking at this one..

https://patchstorage.com/scale-compendium/

I guess it’s time to get Mozaic.. I don’t see any way to do custom scales here.. but some interesting features.. Midiflow’s Scales seems to be great, only wish it was AU..

• edited July 2019

@RajahP said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@RajahP said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@RajahP said:
    Custom Scales?

Looking at this one..

https://patchstorage.com/scale-compendium/

I guess it’s time to get Mozaic.. I don’t see any way to do custom scales here.. but some interesting features.. Midiflow’s Scales seems to be great, only wish it was AU..

Yeah, I'm also planning to get Mozaic. So many interesting looking scripts in there.

Rozeta (chromatic scale) -> Mozaic scale script -> MIDI out looks like a good way to go.

I'll probably also get a keyboard case for my iPad . Been meaning to get one anyway, so it might be handy to have in case I feel like modifying a Mozaic script.

• Hi, I'm the author of the Scale Compendium script mentioned earlier. :)

The Scale Compendium is a pretty full-featured scale quantizer and includes over 30 scales and all their associated modes. So, for example, the Major scale has seven modes: Ionian, Dorian, Phygian, etc., and the Melodic Minor has seven modes, including the Super Locrian a.k.a. Altered Dominant scale...and so on. Included are all the common scales and modes used in 99% of Western music, plus a sampling of more exotic scales from Japan, India, and Indonesia. There are pentatonic scales, blues scales, bebop scales, symetrical divisions of the octave, triads and seventh chords, and more. Hundreds of cool harmonies to play around with.

I should note, however, that in many cases the Scale Compendium script is overkill because Mozaic also provides an easy way to create custom scales using the CustomScale command. For example, the following Mozaic script should quantize incoming midi notes to the C Super Locrian scale:

(This script is untested but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.)

@OnLoad

SetRootNote 0 // Key of C
      CustomScale yes, yes, no, yes, yes, no, yes, no, yes, no, yes, no // define your scale here
      PresetScale 25 // preset scale #25 is the custom scale you defined

@End

@OnMidiInput

if MidiCommand = 0x90

SendMIDIOut MIDICommand + MIDIChannel, ScaleQuantize MIDIByte2, MIDIByte3

elseif MidiCommand = 0x80

SendMIDIOut MIDICommand + MIDIChannel, ScaleQuantize MIDIByte2, 0

else

SendMIDIThru

endif

@End

The one advantage my Scale Compendium script has over this one (besides the number of scales already included) are the several quantization "styles." Rozeta's default quantization will quantize to the nearest scale degree and when there are two equidistant scale degrees, it will quantize up. This is fine, but there are other ways of doing it, and my Scale Compendium script provides several of them.

• @GovernorSilver said:

@RajahP said:
    Custom Scales?

yep, microtonal would be awesome, but pretty difficult to implement, since it's no easy task to do with monotimbral, polyphonic plugins.

without native re-tuning support such as scala or tun (or Audiokit TuneUp), it would require per key pitch bends to retune each note, which basically means that you'd need to set the synth to a monophonic setting. If you wanted polyphony, you'd need many instances running the same patch in mono to play chords, or use a multitimbral synth such as KQ-Dixie or Layr. Also, not all plugins allow you to set the bend range, complicating matters further. It's why I wish that all plugins accepted the awesome Audiokit TuneUp scale sync. It would allow access to sync scales (literally thousands of scales from around the world) to all synths with one tap, much like ableton Link.

• @GovernorSilver said:
    Other than that, one could just use a synth/sampler app that can load Scala files or otherwise allow custom scales, but then when used with Rozeta, it could be confusing if you pick one of the built-in scales there, and then your receiving app has a different scale loaded.

I don't understand why people aren't pushing harder for the adoption of Audiokit's TuneUp by more developers in the same way they do with Link.

I have the feeling that people are put off by the intimidating "microtonal" thing. But what most folks don't realize is that the scales don't have to be microtonal. It can be literally any scale. Sure, you have the entire database of 4,800 scales from the scala archives:
    http://huygens-fokker.org/scala/downloads.html

but it will work perfectly with "normal" Equal Tempered scales as well. And it would be a breeze to create a huge collection of interesting scales that aren't microtonal for those who want to stick to what's familiar. One tap and then boom all apps that use TuneUp are re-tuned to the desired scale.

I would gladly assist in creating scale files for people to use this way, microtonal or not.

• @palm said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@RajahP said:
    Custom Scales?

yep, microtonal would be awesome, but pretty difficult to implement, since it's no easy task to do with monotimbral, polyphonic plugins.

without native re-tuning support such as scala or tun (or Audiokit TuneUp), it would require per key pitch bends to retune each note, which basically means that you'd need to set the synth to a monophonic setting. If you wanted polyphony, you'd need many instances running the same patch in mono to play chords, or use a multitimbral synth such as KQ-Dixie or Layr. Also, not all plugins allow you to set the bend range, complicating matters further. It's why I wish that all plugins accepted the awesome Audiokit TuneUp scale sync. It would allow access to sync scales (literally thousands of scales from around the world) to all synths with one tap, much like ableton Link.

Agreed, it's better to to use a synth that can natively load up both Scala .tun and .kbm files (really need both .tun and .kbm) for microtuning purposes.

I'm not sure what the best solution would be for a generative app. That's why I can't think of anything involving the Rozeta apps other than to set them to chromatic, then have an intermediate scale processor like a Mozaic script map the generated notes to the desired scale.

It would be on the user to know what the 128 MIDI notes correspond to as far as the desired tuning - that's basically the job of the Keyboard Mapping file (.kbm) , to map the 128 values to the pitches of the Scala .tun tuning. I guess both the Mozaic script and the receiving synth would have to have the .kbm file loaded. The Mozaic script would filter incoming MIDI chromatic notes to the desired 0-127 MIDI note number values. The receiving synth would "know" what each of the 128 possible values correspond to in the Scala tuning.

• since i’ma complete moron i have to ask this question 😂 please judge me its ok... i’m not scale savvy i just know how to arrange patterns...

so...

if i’m sequencing with dramo sending midi to an external auv3... using aums internal keyboard...i have been putting scaler between the keyboard and drambo so it’ll record the midi note from scaler, and i’m assuming it isn’t just recording the key press but what the note is converted too by scaler?? or am i doing this wrong and is scaler supposed to go in between drambo and the auv3??

if i was using drambos keyboard i would assume it goes afte drambo before the auv3 as well

😳😐😬

• @reasOne said:
    since i’ma complete moron i have to ask this question 😂 please judge me its ok... i’m not scale savvy i just know how to arrange patterns...

so...

if i’m sequencing with dramo sending midi to an external auv3... using aums internal keyboard...i have been putting scaler between the keyboard and drambo so it’ll record the midi note from scaler, and i’m assuming it isn’t just recording the key press but what the note is converted too by scaler?? or am i doing this wrong and is scaler supposed to go in between drambo and the auv3??

if i was using drambos keyboard i would assume it goes afte drambo before the auv3 as well

😳😐😬

You got it right. If outputting midi via scaler it will record the notes you want. A quick experiment and trial and error while you doing it will show you.