Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Synthmaster One is out!

Comments

• edited July 2019

Hi guys,

While working on the scala microtuning drag-n-drop functionality, I noticed that we were missing an important feature: keyboard mapping files support. Without that, scales that don't have 12 notes are mapped linearly on the keyboard, but that doesn't make much sense. So, today I'm adding support for kbm files as well.

Whenever SynthMaster One reads a .scl file, it'll search for the corresponding .kbm file on the same folder (same file name, different extension):

scale_rastmaqam.scl -> scale_rastmaqam.kbm

Those of you interested in microtuning already know about keyboard mapping. I believe that can easily be created with the Scala software.

When dragging-n-dropping a scl file, you should also drag-n-drop the corresponding kbm file at the same time if you want the correct keyboard mapping for your scale.

Hopefuly today I'll be done with this feature, and I'm hoping to release our v1.3 Beta for the desktop and also for iOS around Thursday!

Cheers

Bulent

• @kv331audio_bulent said:
    Hi guys,

While working on the scala microtuning drag-n-drop functionality, I noticed that we were missing an important feature: keyboard mapping files support. Without that, scales that don't have 12 notes are mapped linearly on the keyboard, but that doesn't make much sense. So, today I'm adding support for kbm files as well.

Whenever SynthMaster One reads a .scl file, it'll search for the corresponding .kbm file on the same folder (same file name, different extension):

scale_rastmaqam.scl -> scale_rastmaqam.kbm

Those of you interested in microtuning already know about keyboard mapping. I believe that can easily be created with the Scala software.

When dragging-n-dropping a scl file, you should also drag-n-drop the corresponding kbm file at the same time if you want the correct keyboard mapping for your scale.

Hopefuly today I'll be done with this feature, and I'm hoping to release our v1.3 Beta for the desktop and also for iOS around Thursday!

Cheers

Bulent

Great announcement!!! In time for our vacation/holliday then! Thanks!

• Guys, just a quick question: does any of you interested in microtuning know how to create a keyboard mapping file? if you have a scale with less than (or more than) 12 notes, you have to map the notes in your scale to your midi keyboard. if you do linear mapping, that's problematic for scales with less/more than 12 notes.

My guess is most users are not familiar with editing keyboard mapping files. So, at least for scales that have less than 12 notes, I am creating the mapping automatically, by mapping the scale notes to MIDI notes.

For instance if you have a scale like this:

This is major pentatonic. Taking C4 (note 60) as the root note, C4, D4, E4, G4, A4 are the scale notes.

Then, there' the issue of filling out the missing notes. For instance when user plays C#4, what should the synth play? C4, C#4 or nothing ?

• edited July 2019

@kv331audio_bulent said:
    Guys, just a quick question: does any of you interested in microtuning know how to create a keyboard mapping file? if you have a scale with less than (or more than) 12 notes, you have to map the notes in your scale to your midi keyboard. if you do linear mapping, that's problematic for scales with less/more than 12 notes.

My guess is most users are not familiar with editing keyboard mapping files. So, at least for scales that have less than 12 notes, I am creating the mapping automatically, by mapping the scale notes to MIDI notes.

This is major pentatonic. Taking C4 (note 60) as the root note, C4, D4, E4, G4, A4 are the scale notes.

Then, there' the issue of filling out the missing notes. For instance when user plays C#4, what should the synth play? C4, C#4 or nothing ?

I never had a chance to use scala files.

Here is some info -

http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/downloads.html#scales

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427864

http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/scl_format.html

http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/index.html

• @MobileMusic said:
    I never had a chance to use scala files.

Here is some info -

http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/downloads.html#scales

We've already implemented those. the problem is with automatically mapping scales to 12 semitones when scale doesn't have 12 notes.

Guys, just a quick question: does any of you interested in microtuning know how to create a keyboard mapping file? if you have a scale with less than (or more than) 12 notes, you have to map the notes in your scale to your midi keyboard. if you do linear mapping, that's problematic for scales with less/more than 12 notes.

in microtonality the note names more or less lose their meaning. I've never bothered with kbm files. Most every synth that takes scala files doesn't bother with kbms from what I can tell. I think that's why many people prefer Tun, as the mapping is embedded or something.

I've always much preferred mapping maximally - rather than having gaps in the keyboard for the sake of ease, a pentatonic scale can cover many more octaves than a 12 note chromatic scale. So just have it repeat after every five notes, no reason to map it differently. Takes a moment to get the feel for a new keyboard, but I think it's good for the brain to have to pay attention to sonic patterns and use your ear to guide you rather than the familiar black and white visual pattern.

• but really, I don't think you need to worry about the kbm files.

• @palm said:
    but really, I don't think you need to worry about the kbm files.

I don't actually, although we support kbm files now, I decided to to automatic mapping in case of kbm file is missing. Linear mapping doesn't seem right to me, octaves should repeat at octaves not at consesutive notes :)

@palm said:

I don't actually, although we support kbm files now, I decided to to automatic mapping in case of kbm file is missing. Linear mapping doesn't seem right to me, octaves should repeat at octaves not at consesutive notes :)

@kv331audio_bulent said:
    Linear mapping doesn't seem right to me, octaves should repeat at octaves not at consesutive notes :)

fine in theory but only useful for microtonal noobs.

how’s that repeating octave ideal supposed to work with a 13 tone scale? or non-ovtave scales? or scales with 300 pithces per octave? or two per octave? see my point?

• @palm said:
    how’s that repeating octave ideal supposed to work with a 13 tone scale? or non-ovtave scales? or scales with 300 pithces per octave? or two per octave? see my point?

FYI, I'm doing the automatic mapping for only scales with less than 12 notes. For scales with larger notes it's all linear/chromatic mapping. I'm planning this automatic mapping optional by the way. just need to add some new ui controls under settings tab.

@palm said:

FYI, I'm doing the automatic mapping for only scales with less than 12 notes. For scales with larger notes it's all linear/chromatic mapping. I'm planning this automatic mapping optional by the way. just need to add some new ui controls under settings tab.

please, please consider making this optional? i like using scales with 2 or 3 pitches sometimes. aside from the empty keyboard and wasted space, this will make the tuning map differently than literally 100% of the other microtonal synths I use.

I have used dozens of microtonal synths and samplers and none of them auto map arbitrarily to the already arbitrary 12 note keyboard unless using a kbm file.

@palm said:

Please allow an option for scale steps to always be consecutive steps on kbd without filler. People into custom scales are used to notion that octaves in the scale may not map to octaves on the kbd.

@palm said:

How about deleting/removing the unused keys? See Animoog where we can punch out keys and create our own custom keyboards.

• Spent all yesterday exploring this - didn't plan to - just got waylaid really ... just beautiful folks - inspiring sound quality and great flexibility and control ... one of the best iOS synths I've encountered. Top job. Gets better every day. Quite literally

• @espiegel123 said:
    Please allow an option for scale steps to always be consecutive steps on kbd without filler. People into custom scales are used to notion that octaves in the scale may not map to octaves on the kbd.

Under Settings I'll a new setting:

Keyboard Mapping: Consecutive / Fill Octave

This will apply when the scale doesn't have keyboard mapping defined.

I will set the default value to: Fill Octave, but when you set it to Consecutive it will behave as you asked :)

@espiegel123 said:

I will set the default value to: Fill Octave, but when you set it to Consecutive it will behave as you asked :)

:)

• My iPhone is ready

• @Soundscaper said:
    Spent all yesterday exploring this - didn't plan to - just got waylaid really ... just beautiful folks - inspiring sound quality and great flexibility and control ... one of the best iOS synths I've encountered. Top job. Gets better every day. Quite literally

Yes indeed. It’s my number one AU synth. I wish there were a couple more like it. In terms of sounds, flexibility, stability and multi-instance-ability

@espiegel123 said:

thank you so much!

• edited July 2019

OK guys the scale functionality is much much better now. I haven't finished my work on the desktop yet, hoping to complete that on Sunday. Then next week hopefuly I'll finish my work on iOS and we'll have the v1.3 beta :)

So regarding scales, we have new settings:

Global A4 tuning: 420-460 Hz
    Scale Root Note : C1-C5
    Scale Keyboard Mapping : Consecutive (first screenshot), Fill Octave (second screenshot)

and we will include many scales from : https://www.flutopedia.com/scale_catalog.htm

• 👍🏼Awesome!

• @kv331audio_bulent In AU mode, it can mess up knobs and faders while scrolling the synth horizontally from touching them. If possible, please add left and right transparent arrows on the top-left and top-right corners to scroll the synth horizontally.

• Allright folks, the wait is over! Here's SynthMaster One VST/AU/AAX v1.3 Beta! Now that all the features are complete on the desktop, I'm moving on to the iPad/iPhone version next and hoping to release the iOS Beta in 2 weeks!

http://betas.synthmaster.com/userarea.aspx

(I'll giveaway 10 perpetual desktop licenses to willing beta testers, please PM me if you seriously want to test the below features, especially scales and cloud syncronization)

We have very exciting new features for this release:

1. Added 120 new presets designed by BT (Brian Transeau) and Kurt Ader
    2. Added new White skin, designed by Satyatunes
    3. Added new scales and better microtuning/scala support.
    4. Added voice stealing/voice trigger parameters
    5. Added larger arp windows for blue/white/gray skins
    6. Increased number of arp steps to 32
    7. Added drag-n-drop scale import support
    8. Added cloud based syncronization of user presets
    9. Added cloud based online presets library for users to share their presets publicly

We also have critical fixes:

1. On Windows, UI drawing takes too much CPU cycles resulting in poor performance
    2. When a mono preset plays initially, SynthMaster doesn't initialize variables causing overflow/crashes
    3. When modulations are clear/removed for a knob/slider control, the control still displays modulation ring around it.
    4. When a section is copied and pasted, modulation matrix entries are reset incorrectly
    5. When a value is changed with mouse wheel, the value shown on the tooltip window is incorrect

• edited August 2019

amazing work @kv331audio_bulent

:sunglasses:

ps. I tried logging into the beta area with my desktop SM1 serial, but it wouldn't let me in.

• I really hope the WiFi issue gets fixed, it won’t open for me unless I have my WiFi turned off.

• @kv331audio_bulent there’s a typo in the fx panel for the equalizer

• @kv331audio That white skin is amazing ! And i love knobs UI, would appreciate this UI on iOS VERY MUCH

@silent1 wow epic :)) never noticed it till yet, my brain simply automatically translated it to "EQUALIZER"

• @kv331audio_bulent If the iPad white skin version looks like the pictures above, I will re-download this app; it looks great!. The current UI is offensive to my eyes.

• @silent1 , nice catch of a silent typo :smile:

• What’s the issue with section title alignments like OSC, SUB, FILTER, etc? They are all not centered vertically and seems like a quick prototype.

Please retain the current skin and offer an option to switch skins under settings.

This discussion has been closed.