Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Synthmaster One is out!

Comments

• @Samu said:
    SynthMaster One will most likely be a multi-page microscopic hellish nightmare on the iPhone if all features are kept...

Nah! Remember Cassini? Multiple tabs for the multiple synth sections works great! I don't want a watered down experience, I want the full (patch compatible) version for the iPhone. :smile:

• @WillieNegus said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@WillieNegus said:
    I don’t think most of your current SM1 users who create on iPad are feverishly awaiting the iPhone version. Especially knowing they’ll be elements missing. We’d much rather iPad focused update for several issues that persist and new preset iAPs. People interested in a crammed iPhone version probably don’t have an iPad so yeah it makes perfect sense for you to charge for seperate app @9.99.

Disagree. I think iPad users would like to be able to make patches on their phone and then transfer them to iPad for actual sessions work. Without paying a further £9.99 for that universal functionality.

Some iPad users would probably occasionally use a free version on iPhone this way because it’s free. Most of that some wouldn’t if they had to pay 9.99 so imo the dev should disregard them and do what’s best for his company to monetize and support further development.

Some people will always want something for nothing. Human condition. Others, who actually understand value and how development works know that all of the additional effort deserves to be compensated as most people don’t want to work for free. If someone sees value in adding an additional iPhone workflow to their current SM1 usage they should appreciate the devs efforts to providing that workflow and pay for it.

Most of the iPhone users will be new customers. People with SM1 will continue using it as they have since it came out. Trying to satisfy some, who apparently don’t see enough value to pay 9.99 for a workflow boost, over most wouldn’t be smart business imo.

If you’d like to compromise by offering a gift to us iPad users and earlier adopters you could email promo codes to registered users or launch a free stripped demo version of the iPhone app and include a “Pro” unlock and discounted “Pro Upgrade” option for iPad users.

There’s a sensible way to move forward. IMO none of them include working for free to satisfy users who don’t want to support continued development. IMO these people threaten the future of iOS music platform. Professionals deserve and need to be paid if we expect great, innovative and well supported products.

Wow! I disagree on so many levels with these statements.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@WillieNegus said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@WillieNegus said:
    I don’t think most of your current SM1 users who create on iPad are feverishly awaiting the iPhone version. Especially knowing they’ll be elements missing. We’d much rather iPad focused update for several issues that persist and new preset iAPs. People interested in a crammed iPhone version probably don’t have an iPad so yeah it makes perfect sense for you to charge for seperate app @9.99.

Disagree. I think iPad users would like to be able to make patches on their phone and then transfer them to iPad for actual sessions work. Without paying a further £9.99 for that universal functionality.

Some iPad users would probably occasionally use a free version on iPhone this way because it’s free. Most of that some wouldn’t if they had to pay 9.99 so imo the dev should disregard them and do what’s best for his company to monetize and support further development.

Some people will always want something for nothing. Human condition. Others, who actually understand value and how development works know that all of the additional effort deserves to be compensated as most people don’t want to work for free. If someone sees value in adding an additional iPhone workflow to their current SM1 usage they should appreciate the devs efforts to providing that workflow and pay for it.

Most of the iPhone users will be new customers. People with SM1 will continue using it as they have since it came out. Trying to satisfy some, who apparently don’t see enough value to pay 9.99 for a workflow boost, over most wouldn’t be smart business imo.

If you’d like to compromise by offering a gift to us iPad users and earlier adopters you could email promo codes to registered users or launch a free stripped demo version of the iPhone app and include a “Pro” unlock and discounted “Pro Upgrade” option for iPad users.

There’s a sensible way to move forward. IMO none of them include working for free to satisfy users who don’t want to support continued development. IMO these people threaten the future of iOS music platform. Professionals deserve and need to be paid if we expect great, innovative and well supported products.

Personally I think very few people will buy an iPhone only version of any synth for 9.99. That’s like a niche crowd within a niche crowd within a niche crowd within a niche crowd ;)

Whereas making an iPad app universal always feels like a plus and in some cases is enough to make me buy one app over another. For mobile patch making and sampling from phone in to gear etc. Universal is a nice option to have on an app.

But that’s just one person’s opinion/guess. Maybe there are actually a lot more iPhone power users out there than there seem to be and a separate app for 9.99 will work better for overall sales.

Only one way to find out...

I don't like the separate app idea. I much prefer Universal. I do want to point out that there is a group on Facebook that is continually growing bigger and bigger that is focused only on iPhone music making. :smile:

• @MobileMusic said:

@Samu said:
    SynthMaster One will most likely be a multi-page microscopic hellish nightmare on the iPhone if all features are kept...

SM1 won't be just zoomed out to fit the iPhone as-is and won't be microscopic. Its layout with 3 horizontal divisions is already well-designed and mobile-ready and fits each of those divisions on iPhone perfectly - like a responsive web site layout. They just have to figure out a way to present it with a menu system to navigate to each of those divisions and synth sections - and they don't need to remove or skimp out any features from iPad edition. GB on iPhone is not microscopic and still very usable.

PS: I wish Cubasis follows this 3-horizontal division layout to get ready for iPhone version @LFS .

This sounds awesome!!

• @kv331audio_bulent said:

@brice said:
    Right, I should’ve been more clear regarding the use of custom wavetables. Dragging and dropping is great. I’ve been using that method this whole time when creating presets. What I’m not certain of is how I would share a bank of my presets which are all using custom wavetables the end user won’t have on their device. Ultimately they’ll need to install the wavetable data as well as the presets themselves. So sharing and installing is where my concerns exist.

I'm working on this and we'll resolve all of those issues before the end of the month :)

Very much looking forward to that.

• edited May 2019

Good news: cloud sync working B) Just tested between Windows <-> Mac

• @brice said:
    Very much looking forward to that.

You'll be the first to test the cloud sync :smiley:

• @Audiojunkie said:

As a user of the iPhone exclusively, my vote is to keep it universal and to not lower the price.

1. It's worth it.
    2. My experiences in the past show that the iPhone app gets less attention than the iPad app when not universal.

You know you're app is worth it! :wink:

I agree; I have both an iPad and an iPhone but the phone ends up getting used most of the time. I'm done buying non-universal apps for the most part, and will absolutely jump on Synthmaster One at regular price if it goes universal.

• @eddielovesyou said:

@Audiojunkie said:

As a user of the iPhone exclusively, my vote is to keep it universal and to not lower the price.

1. It's worth it.
    2. My experiences in the past show that the iPhone app gets less attention than the iPad app when not universal.

I agree; I have both an iPad and an iPhone but the phone ends up getting used most of the time. I'm done buying non-universal apps for the most part, and will absolutely jump on Synthmaster One at regular price if it goes universal.

The current app will be released as universal, and still be sold for $19.99. We'll also release a separate iPhone only app, as there are many iPhone only users.

• Hey guys, I have a question regarding the cloud sync feature: merges working fine but I couldn't decide on how to handle deletes. Right now I didn't implement deletes (i.e. file A is deleted on iPad -> deleted on the cloud -> deleted on other machines). Should I ask the end user to confirm deletes?

• edited May 2019

@kv331audio_bulent said:
    Hey guys, I have a question regarding the cloud sync feature: merges working fine but I couldn't decide on how to handle deletes. Right now I didn't implement deletes (i.e. file A is deleted on iPad -> deleted on the cloud -> deleted on other machines). Should I ask the end user to confirm deletes?

I prefer a confirmation to delete globally from all devices. In case the user deleted a preset accidentally, he can at least recover it later from other devices and resync back to other devices.

• I also think a confirmation is a good idea.

Btw, are you adding the desktop skin to the iOs version anytime soon?
    I think I prefer it and would probably make me use it more :)

• @Carnbot said:

I also think a confirmation is a good idea.

Btw, are you adding the desktop skin to the iOs version anytime soon?
    I think I prefer it and would probably make me use it more :)

I was going to type the same thing earlier, but I thought it was just me being weird. But yeah the desktop skin would make an inexplicable difference in me reaching for SynthMaster One more

• +1 on confirmation.
    This is all looking very good.

• edited May 2019

Guys, here's a preview of the upcoming cloud sync feature. So far, it's working on all platforms and tested for new files, updated files and deleted files. All looking good so far. @brice will release the beta once I complete the UI work for iPhone.

• Yaaaaasssss!

• Bulent, thanks for all the hard work! Synthmaster 1 is currently my go to Synth as I was able to recreate some of my most beloved presets from Z3TA. I am amazed how powerful it is.

@kv331audio_bulent said:
    Guys, here's a preview of the upcoming cloud sync feature. So far, it's working on all platforms and tested for new files, updated files and deleted files. All looking good so far. @brice will release the beta once I complete the UI work for iPhone.

• edited May 2019

@kv331audio_bulent said:

Excellent!

Can I assume that if a preset uses a custom wavetable or waveform that the cloud sync will functionality will work the same as in your video?

• yes, exactly! everything will be synced through the cloud :)

@brice said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:

Excellent!

Can I assume that if a preset uses a custom wavetable or waveform that the cloud sync will functionality will work the same as in your video?

• @Audiojunkie said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:
    Hi guys,

It's been a while since I've gone silent. Have been really busy with the work on SynthMaster One v1.2 (for the desktop). But now that it's released, I'm moving back to iOS until the end of May. That's the only time I have remaining to finish my remaining work on SynthMaster One iOS: the iPhone interface, missing features on bank management, missing features on MIDI programs, and the IAP support.

The iPhone interface is really trickly: It's a real challenge to put everything in that small area.

I'm also debating internally that the iPhone version should be priced less, like $9.99, but then the iPhone and iPad apps should be separate, which creates more confusion. We can come up with an app bundle (iPhone+iPad) but then existing users can't use the iPhone version as it'd be a separate app.

Really would love to get your opinion on the above points.

Cheers

1. It's worth it.

Agreed

• edited May 2019

Hi guys,

Now that we have the cloud functionality, we want to implement online public preset library. How should we do it? Should there be an approval process or once someone uploads his preset/bank should it show up ?

Also, I wanna add functionality for adding metadata (picture/information) to user banks.

• @kv331audio_bulent said:
    Hi guys,

Now that we have the cloud functionality, we want to implement online public preset library. How should we do it? Should there be an approval process or once someone uploads his preset/bank should it show up ?

Also, I wanna add functionality for adding metadata (picture/information) to user banks.

A community / user-based rating system could be a viable option. That could mitigate the need to setup an approval process and allow anyone to contribute, but still provide some sort of metrics to determine if a preset is garbage, decent or great. Though it might be overkill, and could potentially prevent some users from wanting to share their creations. Maybe a fully open “anyone can contribute” system would yield the most content. And if something is terrible we could just ridicule the author on Twitter and whatnot.

Definitely a YES to the metadata idea.

• @brice said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:
    Hi guys,

A community / user-based rating system could be a viable option. That could mitigate the need to setup an approval process and allow anyone to contribute, but still provide some sort of metrics to determine if a preset is garbage, decent or great. Though it might be overkill, and could potentially prevent some users from wanting to share their creations. Maybe a fully open “anyone can contribute” system would yield the most content. And if something is terrible we could just ridicule the author on Twitter and whatnot.

Definitely a YES to the metadata idea.

100 percent agreedington.

• Some sorting options
    Best rated/ most downloaded/ category/ uploaded in the last 2 days/ something like this could be cool in a userbased patchpool

• edited May 2019

@kv331audio_bulent said:
    Hi guys,

very nice!

Any chance we might see the microtonal scale function get a fix? It's been broken since day one :(

perhaps audiokit Tuneup to the rescue?
    https://audiokitpro.com/tuneup/

• Agreed on ranking by volume of downloads or stars/user favoriting. These cloud improvements are definitely going to make SM1 stand apart in the iOS synth landscape. @kv331audio_bulent, hopefully all of this hard work pays dividends for you.

• edited May 2019

.> @palm said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:
    Hi guys,

very nice!

Any chance we might see the microtonal scale function get a fix? It's been broken since day one :(

perhaps audiokit Tuneup to the rescue?
    https://audiokitpro.com/tuneup/

+100 for microtones, please! Along with vibrato on Keyboard Y Axis swipe up (like it is in GB), these will make SM1 replete!!

• One day I might understand why microtuning is so damn desirable... !? Hopefully ;)

• I just play the synth o:)
    But the more presets the more fun! Thanks Bulent!

• edited May 2019

@david_2017 said:
    One day I might understand why microtuning is so damn desirable... !? Hopefully ;)

well i’m sure the reasons differ for everyone. For starters, Equal temperament is just one arbitrary tuning that was only officially settled on in the 20th century. therefore, the majority of human music is not in equal temperament.

The only intervals in the Equal Tempered scale that are truly in tune are the octaves. so for intonation fanatics like myself, there are emotive qualities that can’t be gleaned from the standardised 12 tone scale. Not to mention that this temperament only represents the first 5 harmonics of an infinite series. Why not explore all those other tunings? there are an infinity of them.

Think of it as expanding the pallette of musical colors.

Computer screens were green and black for years, then gradually colors came in. But imagine if we were stuck at 8 or 16 colors selected by some programmer at ibm. Yeah you can “mix” colors by placing a red pixel next to a blue pixel, but it only approximates purple. better to introduce more pixel colors, right? same deal with tuning.

This discussion has been closed.