Audiobus: Your virtual music studio.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Synthmaster One is out!

1313234363743

Comments

  • edited October 2018

    @yowza said:

    @MobileMusic said:
    .> @yowza said:

    This gets asked so often, Synthmaster Player is a different app and synth than Synthmaster One. Both synths were available on desktop before iOS, and I suspect the confusion comes from the names being so similar. The presets are not compatible because as I understand it the underlying architecture of the two synths is different so there is no way the presets can be made compatible. Maybe @kv331audio_bulent can chime in and clear things up?

    Presets are data. SMP presets may have 40 properties while SM1 presets may have 75 properties exposed in their UI's. But still, there are so many hidden properties not exposed in the UI of SMP and SM1 (exposed only in Mod Matrix) and so, they may have equal number of properties behind the scenes. Technically possible to use default values for the missing properties or ignore the extra properties across apps which may sound different but I think they all have a common structure with some properties not exposed fully based on the type of app. There is no way SMP presets could sound so great with just 40-some properties - there should be more properties hidden and not exposed in the UI because it is a player type app.

    You have been stuck on this for a while. Do you now for a fact that both apps are the same underneath? If the two apps don't have the same or very similar underlying synth engine then I would say you're wrong. By your reasoning we could get the presets for any synth (by any developer) ported over to any other synth.

    I'm happy to be wrong so maybe @kv331audio_bulent will pipe in.

    I did not say we could get the presets for any synth (by any developer) ported over to any other synth. I do know for a fact that software vendors develop reusable code and reusable/common structures across their own products to minimize codebase for maintainability and optimize their expenses. One synth may be having 2 oscillators and another synth may be having 3 slightly enhanced oscillators from the base oscillator. They don't develop the oscillator module or keyboard module all over for each synth/player separately. It is software and data - if the dev wants to do it, he can make the presets compatible. Korg does it.

    I'm happy to be wrong too :smile:

  • edited October 2018

    @kv331audio_bulent said:
    I might release a new update with bug fixes only (no new features, yet)

    Hi Bulent,

    A few more issues and suggestions:

    My earlier bugs/suggestions –
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/540868/#Comment_540868
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/512406/#Comment_512406
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/509389/#Comment_509389
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/502024/#Comment_502024

    Thor-like knob/fader twisting – tap and move finger away from the control for fine adjustments.

    Numeric value input on knobs and faders.

    KEYBOARDS - Keyboard # 2 (center) and # 3 (top) have gaps between their keys and gliding the finger across their keys gives bump/ditch sounds in the tone. Keyboard # 1 on the bottom is fine.

    Trying to overwrite an existing preset is crashing SM1 without saving changes.

    MOD MATRIX

    • On/Off switch for each Mod Matrix component without losing settings so we don’t have to set them to None or –

    • Option to Copy/Paste settings across mods from one mod into another.

    • Does rearranging the sequence of mods affect sound? If so, ability to drag/rearrange them.

    • As suggested by another user, move Mod Matrix into the center panel after ARP

    • In standalone mode, you can have Collapse/Expand buttons on LFO and Mod Env to collapse them to the sides for more room for Mod Matrix in the center.

    • Sometimes, when I try to use a new modulation source for a given slot in the mod matrix, it duplicates that source onto another slot as well - sometimes into an empty slot, sometimes overriding the source for a filled slot. Assigning "None" or "--" to a slot empties an adjacent slot.

    COMPARATIVE REPORT

    • It would be helpful to compare the current preset with another preset side-by-side to see their differences and comprehend what makes them unique. Just a quick-n-dirty top-down listing of properties and their values side-by-side would be nice. This way, we would get to see all properties (including the hidden ones) in one place :smile:

    • Option to copy all settings or by a section from a preset (on the above report) into Clipboard

    • Option to paste all settings or by a section from a preset (on the above report) into another USER preset that is being compared with separate buttons to copy settings of each section: OSC, LFO, each MOD separately, etc. with ability to Undo pastes.

    Here is a mockup of the report grouped by each synth section:

    OSC1====[Copy]==== CURRENT PRESET====[Paste]====COMPARED WITH (name)

    • Vibrato=============Value=========================Value=============
    • Detune=============Value=========================Value=============
    • Volume=============Value=========================Value=============
    • Pan================Value=========================Value=============
    • Etc.================Value=========================Value=============

    OSC2====[Copy]==== CURRENT PRESET====[Paste]====COMPARED WITH (name)

    • Vibrato=============Value=========================Value=============
    • Detune=============Value=========================Value=============
    • Volume=============Value=========================Value=============
    • Pan================Value=========================Value=============
    • Etc.================Value=========================Value=============

    FILTER1====[Copy]==== CURRENT PRESET====[Paste]====COMPARED WITH (name)

    • Cutoff
    • Resonance
    • Key Track
    • Drive
    • Etc.

    FILTER2====[Copy]==== CURRENT PRESET====[Paste]====COMPARED WITH (name)

    • Cutoff
    • Resonance
    • Key Track
    • Drive
    • Etc.

    ...
    ...
    ...

    Thanks!

    Shekar

  • @yowza said:
    You have been stuck on this for a while. Do you now for a fact that both apps are the same underneath? If the two apps don't have the same or very similar underlying synth engine then I would say you're wrong. By your reasoning we could get the presets for any synth (by any developer) ported over to any other synth.

    Guys, the apps don't share the same "engine", they're a bit different. This makes preset interchange impossible right now, but when SynthMaster 3 comes, I have plans to add the feature to import SynthMaster One presets.

  • edited October 2018

    @MobileMusic said:
    Thor-like knob/fader twisting – tap and move finger away from the control for fine adjustments.

    We already have that feature.

    @MobileMusic said:

    • Option to copy all settings or by a section from a preset (on the above report) into Clipboard
    • Option to paste all settings or by a section from a preset (on the above report) into another USER preset that is being compared with separate buttons to copy settings of each section: OSC, LFO, each MOD separately, etc. with ability to Undo pastes.

    We already have copy/paste for sections.

  • edited October 2018

    @kv331audio_bulent said:

    @MobileMusic said:
    Thor-like knob/fader twisting – tap and move finger away from the control for fine adjustments.

    We already have that feature.

    Wasn't aware of that. Cool.

    @MobileMusic said:

    • Option to copy all settings or by a section from a preset (on the above report) into Clipboard
    • Option to paste all settings or by a section from a preset (on the above report) into another USER preset that is being compared with separate buttons to copy settings of each section: OSC, LFO, each MOD separately, etc. with ability to Undo pastes.

    We already have copy/paste for sections.

    Yep - that is indeed a great and consistent feature across all components in SM1 - well thought-out! However, my suggestion was to be able to compare 2 presets side by side and copy/paste properties selectively by section while comparing them as we browse their differences/deltas - right away from the report - without having to switch presets back and forth to make them current to be able to copy/paste. This feature will make more use of the report and make it more powerful.

    The Comparison Report idea struck me when my SM1 beta expired recently and I had to reinstall the public version that resulted in losing my user presets! I could not remember what properties I changed by how much in my presets to shape those sounds from existing presets. A comparison report would have been really handy. Finally, I was able to get back my presets from my Cubasis backup projects (saved as new presets immediately after opening the projects and also exported for a backup). Apparently and fortunately, AU settings are stored inside the project in the host app.

    MOCKUP: A popup to select the presets from 2 lists that would include ALL the presets to compare. List A would auto-select and highlight the "current" preset on opening the popup but the user should be able to choose a different preset if necessary - this would let users compare any 2 presets without having to switch to one of them to make them as current/source preset. This selection is compared with the preset selected in List B (target) and displayed as a report.

    The report should display non-matching properties in a different color for a visual cue. Paste option should be disabled for a section if all of its properties are exact match in both presets or if the target preset is a factory preset or an IAP (these should be read-only). Paste option should only copy/paste non-matching properties and skip matching properties. Undo Paste option would be nice.

    We'll let you decide the priority for this powerful report feature that offers insights into the synth and its presets.

    Thank you!
    Shekar

  • @kv331audio_bulent said:

    @kv331audio_bulent, hey mate, when can we expect to have this app working properly with Auria Pro?????

    Just fixed it! Apparently it was a very simple fix in the info.plist file...

    @kv331audio_bulent how about releasing this update already???? Auria Pro users have been waiting patiently to be able use this app for months. Enough is enough! Throw us a bone!

  • @sch said:

    @kv331audio_bulent said:

    @kv331audio_bulent, hey mate, when can we expect to have this app working properly with Auria Pro?????

    Just fixed it! Apparently it was a very simple fix in the info.plist file...

    @kv331audio_bulent how about releasing this update already???? Auria Pro users have been waiting patiently to be able use this app for months. Enough is enough! Throw us a bone!

    Indeed.

  • @kv331audio_bulent said:
    Also, not letting the extension access the app's documents folder is also total bulls**! If anyone from Apple is watching this thread: "GUYS FIX THOSE STUPID LIMITATIONS!"

    Looks like Apple is fixing some stuff in iOS 13!

  • edited November 2018

    @yowza said:
    You have been stuck on this for a while. Do you now for a fact that both apps are the same underneath? If the two apps don't have the same or very similar underlying synth engine then I would say you're wrong. By your reasoning we could get the presets for any synth (by any developer) ported over to any other synth.

    I'm happy to be wrong so maybe @kv331audio_bulent will pipe in.

    Your are right! The two synths share a similar engine but it is not the same for the two. So, I can not easily load SM1 presets in SM2. It's gonna take a while to do that.

  • edited November 2018

    @rtuckr said:
    I believe DRC claims to sync between Desktop and iOS apps, although I only have iPhone and iPad syncing currently.

    I believe I will follow a similar path guys. I'm currently looking into Google Cloud Storage to store user data (waveforms, presets, etc). I really really have waiting for Apple to implement something meaningful, time to take the matter into my own hands :smiley:

  • @kv331audio_bulent said:

    @yowza said:
    You have been stuck on this for a while. Do you now for a fact that both apps are the same underneath? If the two apps don't have the same or very similar underlying synth engine then I would say you're wrong. By your reasoning we could get the presets for any synth (by any developer) ported over to any other synth.

    I'm happy to be wrong so maybe @kv331audio_bulent will pipe in.

    Your are right! The two synths share a similar engine but it is not the same for the two. So, I can not easily load SM1 presets in SM2. It's gonna take a while to do that.

    I think @MobileMusic was actually hoping for Synthmaster One preset import into Synthmaster Player. He’s probably speculating on how the SMP presets were created by your sound designers in the first place, since it presumably wouldn’t have taken place in SMP.

  • @kv331audio_bulent said:

    @rtuckr said:
    I believe DRC claims to sync between Desktop and iOS apps, although I only have iPhone and iPad syncing currently.

    I believe I will follow a similar path guys. I'm currently looking into Google Cloud Storage to store user data (waveforms, presets, etc). I really really have waiting for Apple to implement something meaningful, time to take the matter into my own hands :smiley:

    Please bear in mind that not all of us use Cloud storage, or even wish to, so optional would be nice.

  • edited November 2018

    @TheOriginalPaulB said:

    @kv331audio_bulent said:

    @yowza said:
    You have been stuck on this for a while. Do you now for a fact that both apps are the same underneath? If the two apps don't have the same or very similar underlying synth engine then I would say you're wrong. By your reasoning we could get the presets for any synth (by any developer) ported over to any other synth.

    I'm happy to be wrong so maybe @kv331audio_bulent will pipe in.

    Your are right! The two synths share a similar engine but it is not the same for the two. So, I can not easily load SM1 presets in SM2. It's gonna take a while to do that.

    I think @MobileMusic was actually hoping for Synthmaster One preset import into Synthmaster Player. He’s probably speculating on how the SMP presets were created by your sound designers in the first place, since it presumably wouldn’t have taken place in SMP.

    I meant the other way - SMP presets to load into SM1 (because SMP has more presets than SM1 and SM1 has more properties to tweak than SMP). Or why not both ways when it happens?

  • edited November 2018

    @kv331audio_bulent,

    As for the suggested Comparison Report mockup, you could implement it on the Browser itself and place it in comparison mode that would let the user select 2 presets from the list and compare them (without affecting/changing the currently loaded preset). This should reduce the work and reuse the existing lists in the browser (no need to create a new popup with 2 preset lists). The report itself could be a quick-n-dirty rundown of properties and values (that you could list them using 2 loops - one for each section and the other one inside the section loop to loop through each property for the section) to see them all in one place for 2 presets side-by-side.

  • @MobileMusic said:

    @TheOriginalPaulB said:

    @kv331audio_bulent said:

    @yowza said:
    You have been stuck on this for a while. Do you now for a fact that both apps are the same underneath? If the two apps don't have the same or very similar underlying synth engine then I would say you're wrong. By your reasoning we could get the presets for any synth (by any developer) ported over to any other synth.

    I'm happy to be wrong so maybe @kv331audio_bulent will pipe in.

    Your are right! The two synths share a similar engine but it is not the same for the two. So, I can not easily load SM1 presets in SM2. It's gonna take a while to do that.

    I think @MobileMusic was actually hoping for Synthmaster One preset import into Synthmaster Player. He’s probably speculating on how the SMP presets were created by your sound designers in the first place, since it presumably wouldn’t have taken place in SMP.

    I meant the other way - SMP presets to load into SM1 (because SMP has more presets than SM1). Or why not both ways when it happens?

    I have a sneaking suspicion that however the SMP presets were originally programmed, they may have been rendered as samples (at least in part) with only a few parameters left as patch values for manipulation in SMP. That would make the transfer a one way deal, as there would be no way to turn the sampled component back into the original patch values.

  • @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    I have a sneaking suspicion that however the SMP presets were originally programmed, they may have been rendered as samples (at least in part) with only a few parameters left as patch values for manipulation in SMP. That would make the transfer a one way deal, as there would be no way to turn the sampled component back into the original patch values.

    Nope, that's wrong. If we rendered the presets as samples, they'd have taken gigabytes of space :)

  • @kv331audio_bulent said:

    @rtuckr said:
    I believe DRC claims to sync between Desktop and iOS apps, although I only have iPhone and iPad syncing currently.

    I believe I will follow a similar path guys. I'm currently looking into Google Cloud Storage to store user data (waveforms, presets, etc). I really really have waiting for Apple to implement something meaningful, time to take the matter into my own hands :smiley:

    Awesome news, Bulent! iOS 13 will be a while ( Sep ‘19).

  • schsch
    edited November 2018

    Deleted

  • edited November 2018

    @TheOriginalPaulB said:

    @kv331audio_bulent said:

    @rtuckr said:
    I believe DRC claims to sync between Desktop and iOS apps, although I only have iPhone and iPad syncing currently.

    I believe I will follow a similar path guys. I'm currently looking into Google Cloud Storage to store user data (waveforms, presets, etc). I really really have waiting for Apple to implement something meaningful, time to take the matter into my own hands :smiley:

    Please bear in mind that not all of us use Cloud storage, or even wish to, so optional would be nice.

    Cloud services come with an initial free storage which should be adequate to store presets (my SM1 user presets I backed up to Google Drive took just 9 KB per preset as they are just data)

    • Google 15 GB
    • Dropbox 5 GB
    • iCloud 5 GB

    We should be able to choose the storage provider of our choice. I like Google Drive better with more free storage, faster and more reliable/sustainable

  • @kv331audio_bulent said:

    @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    I have a sneaking suspicion that however the SMP presets were originally programmed, they may have been rendered as samples (at least in part) with only a few parameters left as patch values for manipulation in SMP. That would make the transfer a one way deal, as there would be no way to turn the sampled component back into the original patch values.

    Nope, that's wrong. If we rendered the presets as samples, they'd have taken gigabytes of space :)

    Ok. Does that mean the banks/presets you made available for Synthmaster Player also load back into the originating synth? (I’m assuming Synthmaster itself). If so, in theory, would it be possible for ordinary users to generate patches in the Synthmaster VSTi and port them over to Synthmaster Player for iOS?

  • @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    Ok. Does that mean the banks/presets you made available for Synthmaster Player also load back into the originating synth? (I’m assuming Synthmaster itself). If so, in theory, would it be possible for ordinary users to generate patches in the Synthmaster VSTi and port them over to Synthmaster Player for iOS?

    That was one of our biggest selling points for SynthMaster+SynthMaster Player iOS combination :)))

  • edited November 2018

    @MobileMusic said:
    Cloud services come with an initial free storage which should be adequate to store presets (my SM1 user presets I backed up to Google Drive took just 9 KB per preset as they are just data)

    • Google 15 GB
    • Dropbox 5 GB
    • iCloud 5 GB

    We should be able to choose the storage provider of our choice. I like Google Drive better with more free storage, faster and more reliable/sustainable

    Looks like I am misunderstood. Users won't need to have a cloud storage account. We're gonna pay for Google Cloud Storage and SynthMaster/SynthMaster One will sync the user's data in that cloud if the user wants to sync. Each user will have their "subfolder" in our storage. We might have to limit the storage with something like 1 GB but that should be more than enough for presets :)

  • @sch said:
    OK, so I'll post this AGAIN!!!

    @kv331audio_bulent how about releasing this update already???? Auria Pro users have been waiting patiently to be able use this app for months. Enough is enough! Throw us a bone!

    Edit: A PM to @kv331audio_bulent two days ago on this same subject has been ignored (at least so far). I bought SM1 as soon as it was available, both the iOS and VST versions, but I have yet to be able to use it in the DAW of my choice (AP). I'm getting exasperated to the point of probably not supporting this company any further, even though the products are excellent. Too bad the service isn't.

    Sorry for not replying back to your PM in time.

    I'll upload the latest build to our betatesters tomorrow. If you're not a betatester, please PM me your email.

  • @kv331audio_bulent said:

    @MobileMusic said:
    Cloud services come with an initial free storage which should be adequate to store presets (my SM1 user presets I backed up to Google Drive took just 9 KB per preset as they are just data)

    • Google 15 GB
    • Dropbox 5 GB
    • iCloud 5 GB

    We should be able to choose the storage provider of our choice. I like Google Drive better with more free storage, faster and more reliable/sustainable

    Looks like I am misunderstood. Users won't need to have a cloud storage account. We're gonna pay for Google Cloud Storage and SynthMaster/SynthMaster One will sync the user's data in that cloud if the user wants to sync. Each user will have their "subfolder" in our storage. We might have to limit the storage with something like 1 GB but that should be more than enough for presets :)

    Why not use user's iCloud storage account?

    Or setup a FTP server on your website and use it instead that would not cost anything? No need to pay Google or allocate 1 GB to each user whether they use it or not. Something like this (you don't need the level of high security/encryption that Panic has - to store less sensitive preset data):

    https://panic.com/sync/

  • @kv331audio_bulent said:

    @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    Ok. Does that mean the banks/presets you made available for Synthmaster Player also load back into the originating synth? (I’m assuming Synthmaster itself). If so, in theory, would it be possible for ordinary users to generate patches in the Synthmaster VSTi and port them over to Synthmaster Player for iOS?

    That was one of our biggest selling points for SynthMaster+SynthMaster Player iOS combination :)))

    I originally thought so, but then there was this whole preset compatability debate and I took a look at your website and couldn’t find any reference to this feature, so I figured I’d imagined it. Carry on as you were. LOL.

  • @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    I originally thought so, but then there was this whole preset compatability debate and I took a look at your website and couldn’t find any reference to this feature, so I figured I’d imagined it. Carry on as you were. LOL.

    It is indeed mentioned:

    http://www.synthmaster.com/synthmasterplayerios.aspx

  • edited November 2018

    @MobileMusic said:
    Why not use user's iCloud storage account?

    Because a) not every user is on iOS b) not every user uses iCloud c) we want to provide a crossplatform solution :)

  • edited November 2018

    @kv331audio_bulent said:

    @MobileMusic said:
    Why not use user's iCloud storage account?

    Because a) not every user is on iOS b) not every user uses iCloud c) we want to provide a crossplatform solution :)

    Something like this on your website should meet cross-platform needs and you could FTP sync preset data from within apps:

    https://panic.com/sync/

    Since you already have a website, setting up the main S/FTP user account on it (which just creates a folder in the home directory) should cost you nothing, implicitly login through your apps and you could create subfolders for each app and user programmatically (if the user folder does not exist at runtime) under the main account folder and sync. No user needs to know the FTP access details - only the dev will connect to the server using the main user account in the code from within apps. No need for high security encryption of insensitive preset data like Panic did for their sensitive user data. This would result in optimal storage without having to allocate a fixed quota for each user - it just uses as much space as stored. And you could list this auto-sync as a bonus feature on your app pages!!

    It is similar to a dynamic website where the site connects to the dB implicitly for each page load and each user has a row/account in the app’s user table and creates a session on the webserver using cookies by going through app’s login screen (you probably already know all of these :smile:).

    Google Drive may be ideal for personal use or corporate use but doesn’t sound like a graceful solution for commercial apps to store user data using quotas. Since it is a paid solution, if the payment does not go through for any reason, users would get stuck. Also results in costs FOREVER and wastage of allocated storage if the user does not use it up. Just do what other app devs like Panic are did after evaluating various options - their pain, our gain!

  • @MobileMusic said:
    Since you already have a website, setting up the main S/FTP user account on it (which just creates a folder in the home directory) should cost you nothing, implicitly login through your apps and you could create subfolders for each app and user programmatically (if the user folder does not exist at runtime) under the main account folder and sync. No user needs to know the FTP access details - only the dev will connect to the server using the main user account in the code from within apps. No need for high security encryption of insensitive preset data like Panic did for their sensitive user data. This would result in optimal storage without having to allocate a fixed quota for each user - it just uses as much space as stored. And you could list this auto-sync as a bonus feature on your app pages!!

    Since I don't have enough drive space on my server (godaddy virtual hosting), I'd opt for google cloud storage.

  • Hi guys,

    I finally managed to upload the latest build on TestFlight. Here are the fixes in v1.1.2:

    1. SynthMaster One does'nt release memory for unused waveforms/wavetables
    2. When user changes a waveform/wavetable when a note is playing, the change is not heard until a new note is played
    3. When user changes a filter type when a note is playing, the change is not heard until a new note is played
    4. SynthMaster One AUv3 crashes when instantiated under Auria
    5. SynthMaster One should not allow saving presets with no name
    6. When a preset is saved under a folder, the folder name should be recognized as the bank name

    Apple should approve the latest beta in around 12-24 hours so get ready to test it :)

Sign In or Register to comment.