Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AU MIDI filter?

is there a MIDI filter that can, for example, filter out all velocity data from a keyboard, and as iOS AU plugin? There are a couple of apps that can do that I guess, but they are for AudioBus. I would like to insert a smallweight editable MIDI filter inside AUM. In AUM itself one can filter MIDI channels and note range only as far as I can see.

If such an AU MIDI filter does not exist yet, it would be a useful tool for many iOS musicians. Probably rather simple to code. In my case it was not a problem because I could set the velocity of the attached keyboard to zero (and save the respective presets) in the CME Xkey app, but there are other use cases (like a sequencer that one wants to switch off its velocity data, even temporarily).

Background story for those who are interested: there is a new AU vocoder released, and I was thinking once again about a vocoder setup for iPad. It works very well already with VirSyn vocoder and general voice treatment apps, but with internal mic and on-screen keyboard. Or with either microphone or keyboard attached. Today I hooked up both an Xkey keyboard and a MiC 96 to the iPad, using the CCK3 with power, and an old unpowered USB2 hub. It works! Both keyboard and microphone get power and are connected to the iPad system. I never connected the MiC 96 this way, because normally one uses the included iOS-specific cable. Which would fill up the iOS port, and would necessitate the purchase of a bluetooth keyboard. Which itself is tempting, there are a couple of new and very interesting keyboard devices on the market with BT and MPE.

But I'm happy that it turned out to work right from what I got. MiC 96 works over USB cable and CCK3. Good to know in case the setup demands it, or in case the specific iOS cable is missing.

Comments

• edited June 2018

I’m not aware of anyone having done this yet, but hopefully someone will soon.
    Would also like the ability to set keyboard range splits etc.

Maybe someone is working on it? I’d quite like the midiflow AB3 midi filters to be available as AU. Or something similar. Midifire AU maybe.

• yes something like that. There are already a lot of AU apps for dynamics and effects (audio). But not much or none for MIDI, as AU app. Just as you say, only a question of time.

• I keep hoping all of the @JohannesD AB midi filters will be converted to AU. Super useful set of apps. And now that AB3 is in beta with AU MIDI support, not sure there's even a reason for dedicated AB MIDI FX app format.

Also hoping fun stuff like MIDI delay. And @artkerns probability filter, etc.

• I’d love something that would change CC number and possibly midi channel.

• ++1 for ab3 midi apps to go AU, I think it’s inevitable for progress for AB3 as so far the filters never quite delivered on reliability and the AU format makes workflow easier.

• @Carnbot said:
    ++1 for ab3 midi apps to go AU, I think it’s inevitable for progress for AB3 as so far the filters never quite delivered on reliability and the AU format makes workflow easier

+++1

• Isn’t this what that newly updated app MidiCheck does?
    It says it filters out channels or messages.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/19020/new-app-midi-check#latest

• @CracklePot said:
    Isn’t this what that newly updated app MidiCheck does?
    It says it filters out channels or messages.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/19020/new-app-midi-check#latest

He's looking for AUv3 MIDI specifically.

• @syrupcore said:
    I keep hoping all of the @JohannesD AB midi filters will be converted to AU. Super useful set of apps. And now that AB3 is in beta with AU MIDI support, not sure there's even a reason for dedicated AB MIDI FX app format.

Also hoping fun stuff like MIDI delay. And @artkerns probability filter, etc.

Agreed. Those AB MIDI filters were a cool stopgap and they could have opened the door to a whole new way to do things. But, at this point, AU MIDI is “the way to go”. Bram opened that door and documented what he saw. So far, there’s only a few other devs who have followed that lead (including Laurent Colson with StepPolyArp Unit (SPAU), released yesterday). AB3 was released over a year ago, with those @JohannesD MIDI filters as a key feature. Apart from the Midiflow series, our MIDI Effect slots in AB3 can now have:
    Suggester, ThumbJam, Quantum, Refraktions, some midiFILTr apps, and the Laurent Colson apps (ChordPolyArp as well as the aforementioned SPAU and the original SPA). Not slim pickings, but not a growing stream. The fact that SPAU does double-duty may be a sign of the times.
    Simply put, there’s a lot of value for an app we can use in AUM and AB3 (and others…) to produce neat MIDI effects (filtering, quantizing, generating…).

• +1 for AU midi filters, @Brambos, please let me give you more money for this.