Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUv3 StepPoly ARP AU OMG!!!!

Comments

• It is definitely worth getting as brings a lot to the iOS party, had the standalone admit was a bit miffed about getting it again but just look upon it as a paid for update like a desktop DAW, for what it gives back in terms of AU synth heaven is worth the jump.

• Just a quick question, I don’t have time to read through the 7 pages right now. Is this also a sequencer like piano roll for AUM or so?
    I watched the videos real quick but I am not sure... thanks.

• @Dawdles said:

@lovadamusic said:

@Dawdles said:

@lovadamusic said:

@Dawdles said:

@chandroji said:
    I really love this update, but...

I bought StepPolyArp mid of April for 16,99€. 😩

Do you think I can return the app to buy the newer version?

Did the old app stay full price up right until the new one dropped? Pretty shady if so.... Normally see price drops leading up to new software or hardware as a kind of unspoken heads up and a consolation for customers when the new version drops..

You don't get to call the dev shady without a comment in return.

A customer who bought the app last week paid what I paid for it. They get the same app, same functionality. Use it for what they paid for. If it's not worth the price to them as is, they shouldn't have bought it.

No one has a gun to their head to buy the AUv3 version, which is a different app. If someone doesn't want to pay the price for it, move on. They're not entitled to anything.

Good god...

My point was its just not a very cool/considerate move to sell full price leading up to the point its replaced. But I didn't buy it and don't really care either way..

My point is that it's not "shady" business. Words have meaning, and people like to throw accusations around on the Internet whether they're warranted or not. So there's a fixed price on the app, and no announcements of a new version until it's available. That's a simpler, more efficient and possibly more profitable way of doing business. That's what Apple did with Logic. It may contribute to their willingness/ability to sell it so cheap.

As far as being uncool or inconsiderate, we don't even know what the developer is making for an hour's work on this app. From that standpoint, it might already be a great deal. If it's a poor deal, people won't buy it. The consumer is safe. ;)

Words have different meaning to different people and people have different ideas of what being cool involves.. I'd personally feel like I was being shady if I was a dev and I didnt discount toward the end of an app's lifespan as it began to have comparitively less functionality than it did previously and a new version was about to drop. Or I just announced 'new version coming soon' and let people weigh it up for themselves. This looks pretty cool for £15...not so sure at £30.

Maybe you wouldn't feel shady doing that but I would. Letting some customers pay twice within a couple months if they want the AU version a few weeks later. Where people who weren't supportive enough to recently buy it without AU only have to pay once. Way to reward supportive customers! Shady imo... That's life/business tho. Some companies are cool and give a heads up so customers can decide to wait or not, on ios BM3 and patterning 2 spring to mind, or price drops appear. Some companies arent...Funny you mention Apple/Logic among those that aren't ;)

Derailing the thread though so let's leave it there. The app looks pretty good and I'll probably grab it once it's confirmed to work in Beatmaker.

shady - adjective: of doubtful honesty or legality.

I'm just interpreting in English as I know it. If by shady, you only mean "uncool," which I'll translate as -- not how you, personally, believe you would handle things if you, hypothetically, were an iOS developer, then that's a different statement. I might handle as you would myself, but not because I think I'm cooler than anyone else. LOL. In any case, I agree the app does look pretty nice. :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yeah this is well worth another $15. With sequencer mode (no triggers needed), it’s a breeze to get going in no time.

• And I have no clue if the polyrhythm arrows were added in the old SPA or they are new here, but they are fantastic for sprucing up a repetitive pattern

• It's basically identical to the standalone but in AU form, which is what we want. The gui scales nicely. It's perfect really (although still hoping for aU parameter exposure). I sort of wish the polyrhythm mode was kept back for this v2 so it seemed more of a jump in features other than AU. But it's definitely worth it :)

• So good! Although I think it would be more interesting if changing the row length when linked didn’t reset them all back to the same spot but just adjusted their individual length from where they are. I hope that makes sense.

• edited June 2018

@brambos is laughing at some of us questioning this decision to release a new app for AU rather than an upgrade. :joy:

But here’s the thing, Bram. You don’t do this! Look at your overhaul of Troublemaker and Ruismaker, your new features in Rozeta, etc. And I think you don’t repackage them as new apps because you have a fantastic understanding of the customer experience and how it is perceived.

It’s like when websites started having to go mobile. First with a new m.blah.com site and then with responsive design. I can only think of one company I dealt with who actually made that a definable cost item for their customers. It was just something developers had to do to stay current, keep existing customers, and win new business.

I kind of feel the same way about AU. Use it to win new business rather than expecting existing customers to re-purchase all of their IAA apps in AU format. Other developers get this as well. Look at SugarBytes/Unique, Iceworks, Virsyn, Living Memory/Layr, Voice Synth,etc.

However, I am very happy that SPA is now AU and will put it on my Xmas list. :smiley:

• OK. I bought it (never had the original). Still only playing around, in love with the magical Electro preset triggering some synths+shimmer reverb effects on my PC and drooling. Need to get back to working but this seems like a tool I've always wanted and didn't know it until now. Haven't even used it with AUM yet!

• wimwim
    edited June 2018

While I can see the point of people who purchased the old standalone only recently, I for one, am glad it’s a separate purchase. I believe strongly in reward for effort. I feel blessed, but also a bit guilty receiving the result of years of someone’s work for a piddly $15 or so spent several years ago.

The App Store mechanics force developers into these kind of no-win decisions. I can’t fault developers for looking at the trade offs and choosing what they think is most appropriate according to their needs. I’m not so sure applying larger scale assumptions about markets, brand equity, consumer good will will apply in this space either. It’s such a tiny market segment.

If I take a step back and consider this from a business perspective (as opposed to someone just doing it for kicks, not trying to feed a family)...

• First subtract out the people who already paid. Good will is all you’re going to get out of these customers because they already paid. If you plan to make lots and lots of new apps, maybe you need their good will more than if you don’t.
    • Factor in those who would be happy to pay.
    • Factor in those who are unlikely to pay because they’re happy with the existing version, rarely use it, forgot about it, etc.
    • Factor in the influence of bad reviews from people pissed about not getting it free, vs. the glowing reviews of people who love AUv3.
    • etc.

I’m guessing the actual effect of pissed off buyers in real revenue is minuscule.

Not saying anyone is wrong - just maybe offering a little perspective from someone thinking about similar choices in the light of upcoming employment changes of my own.

• wimwim
    edited June 2018

What I really wish is there was a “tip the developer” IAP in every app.

• @wim said:
    What I really wish was there is a “tip the developer” IAP in every app.

Really cool! Would welcome that too

Can you record midi notes into the sequencer when you play them live on your Keyboard?

• @wim said:

I am trying to get @analog_matt to add that, but no reply so far.
    And yes, all of our so much loved developers should add to such a button!

• As a wise man once tweeted:

“I’d pay again if you add [major feature]”

Releases new app with Major Feature.

“How dare you charge us again!?”

ANYWAY....
    There was some debate earlier that this was not ready for prime time: Can we dispel this rumor or confirm its truth? Does SPA Unit need an update or is it ready to go?

• wimwim
    edited June 2018

@tja said:

@wim said:

I doubt very much that's allowed by Apple. But I wish it was.

• @tja said:

@wim said:

You could buy some t-shirts and mugs.

• @wim said:

@tja said:

@wim said:

They should maybe sell some t-shirts and mugs or, hell, even $5 stickers. Maybe Patreon or something like that, too.

• tjatja
    edited June 2018

@wim said:

@tja said:

@wim said:

I could swear that I already saw such a thing in some app.
    But being old, I cannot remember exactly

• edited June 2018

@tja said:
    I could swear that I already such a thing in some app.
    But being old, I cannot remember exactly

There has been a ‘Tip Jar’ in Twitterrific’s side menu bar forever.
    Works like an IAP with either a small recurring monthly tip or various one-time options.. charged to your iTunes account.

• edited June 2018

@d4d0ug said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@RajahP said:

@Dawdles said:

@RajahP said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@RajahP said:
    I guess this will show up in BM3 in an update soon.. Right?

Are you confirming that it doesn’t show as an AU in BM3?

I guess.. I don’t see it on my iPads.. as an IAA yes... both new and old...

:( Bummer. Was about to buy. Did you restart iPad? Heard sometimes thats a requirement?

But if not showing up in BM3 then its just another notch on the 'Apple/devs need to sort this whole AU mess out ASAP'... Fullscreen functions fine in one host/not fine fullscreen in another/midi au functionality exists in one host, but not in another/presets are one way in one host and different in another.. It's ridiculous.

Rebooted twice.. still no-show...

Confident that this will be sorted out... soon..

Peculiar. There are, what, five AU hosts in iOS? How could you not test them all?

Don’t know if you’ve tried this already, but have you started it up stand-alone (IAA) first, the tried as AU in BM3? Some apps need this step to install an AU version.

Yep, been trying a lot of stuff over the past hours (before I answer you) ...
    Definitely needs an update..

• @RajahP said:

@d4d0ug said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@RajahP said:

@Dawdles said:

@RajahP said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@RajahP said:

:( Bummer. Was about to buy. Did you restart iPad? Heard sometimes thats a requirement?

But if not showing up in BM3 then its just another notch on the 'Apple/devs need to sort this whole AU mess out ASAP'... Fullscreen functions fine in one host/not fine fullscreen in another/midi au functionality exists in one host, but not in another/presets are one way in one host and different in another.. It's ridiculous.

Peculiar. There are, what, five AU hosts in iOS? How could you not test them all?

Don’t know if you’ve tried this already, but have you started it up stand-alone (IAA) first, the tried as AU in BM3? Some apps need this step to install an AU version.

I think this is a BM3 issue as it needs an update to support the new aumi midi effect category which I believe new SPA is. I could be wrong though.

• @Carnbot said:

@RajahP said:

@d4d0ug said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@RajahP said:

@Dawdles said:

@RajahP said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@RajahP said:

I think this is a BM3 issue as it needs an update to support the new aumi midi effect category which I believe new SPA is. I could be wrong though.

Don't know exactly what is AUMI Midi effect... But Rozeta apps do show up in BM3..
    Besides that, I am experiencing another issue where the Key note keeps reverting back to 'C' , even if you have a sequence set to, say, Am... It goes back to 'Cm' after a stop and replay.

Don't mean to be a party pooper... I just love this app and want to see it run nicely... (Maybe it's me... can I have confirmation?)

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    As a wise man once tweeted:
    ANYWAY....

Pah! I’m calling phooey on that one in this case. :smile:
    VirSyn, Sugar Bytes, Living Memory, Icegear, ElliottGarage, Moog, Qneo, etc. all get what I’m on about.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    As a wise man once tweeted:

ANYWAY....
    There was some debate earlier that this was not ready for prime time: Can we dispel this rumor or confirm its truth? Does SPA Unit need an update or is it ready to go?

I’ve used it for half an hour to jam around and it was smooth as can be. I was wary too, but have had no problems yet in either mode or with any triggering.

• And it’s been five years or more since the original was released. Give the dev a break if you don’t wanna afford him another $15. SPA and CPP have always been 2 of the most universally-touted MIDI controller apps and they’ve received support long after he’s (probably) stopped making any regular income from them.

Some of you on this forum remind me of Uncle Frank from Home Alone.

• @oat_phipps said:
    And it’s been five years or more since the original was released. Give the dev a break if you don’t wanna afford him another $15. SPA and CPP have always been 2 of the most universally-touted MIDI controller apps and they’ve received support long after he’s (probably) stopped making any regular income from them.

Ok, will give the dev a break but you’ve got me all wrong. I have been one of the most vocal supporters of developers raising their prices on iOS and being able to sustain their apps. The point I’m making is about effective marketing and customer service but I don’t think I’m doing a very good job of communicating it. Zipped. Promise.

• @wim said:

>

Along these,Ines, another idea I had a while ago was for an ‘App Exchange’ facility. How this would work, is when sonone has bought and app decides it wasn’t what they thought, or perhaps just isn’t getting used enough, they could add it to to ‘App Exchange’ where on a first come first served basis, anyone interested could buy it for 50% of the original cost, or maybe even less. Perhaps 20% each to developer and seller, the rest going as a market fee to Apple. Digitally transferring any license to use it, automatically.

In this manner, the many thousands of apps that languish on iPads would get recycled, and everyone involved makes something extra.

But Apple won’t do this, either. ;)

• edited June 2018

@gusgranite said:

@oat_phipps said:
    And it’s been five years or more since the original was released. Give the dev a break if you don’t wanna afford him another $15. SPA and CPP have always been 2 of the most universally-touted MIDI controller apps and they’ve received support long after he’s (probably) stopped making any regular income from them.

Ok, will give the dev a break but you’ve got me all wrong. I have been one of the most vocal supporters of developers raising their prices on iOS and being able to sustain their apps. The point I’m making is about effective marketing and customer service but I don’t think I’m doing a very good job of communicating it. Zipped. Promise.

I wasn’t targeting you at all, your point came across as you intended. In fact, upon rereading, no one in this thread has been guilty of complaining. An overreaction on my part that I’ll just redact to a ‘preemptive judgement’ in case it does take a turn for the worst.

• @gusgranite said:

I have been one of the most vocal supporters of developers raising their prices on iOS and being able to sustain their apps.
    >

Looked at from another angle, a huge part of why the App Store is so successful, is the pricing. Also, it must be said, that some apps costing a lot more than average still have faults reported years ago, and are not kept technically up to date. Whereas other apps priced very reasonably are tip-top.

So before any move that might seriously impact the will/ financial ability of people to buy apps, Apple - a company valued at 1.4 trillion dollars - should consider dropping their percentage to a more reasonable 20%.

....but they won’t do that, either. ;)