Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Why not more "Ableton" type apps / features?

I don't get it.

ABLETON has proven ideas and GUI use and implementation.

I am shocked more developers have not done more Ableton inspired apps. The ideas are the gold standard for me in many respects for what I do and how I do it.

Glad to see the Samplist. He gets it.

But I am shocked not to see more grid based user friendly apps that allow EASY loop swapping and music making.

Or how about Fx.

Ableton 10 has some really great concepts.

IF I WERE A DEV(yes easy to say I know) I would be all over some apps that emulate Drum Rack, Impulse and FX!

The new drum Fx package is a great app idea. I would love to see an app with these fx grouped neatly with similar parameter control.

How about beat repeat audio fx?

I don't know but I still use Ableton daily for auditioning sounds and testing ideas.

It is so easy for me to just try a concept.

I wish there were apps that were really like that Ableton more at this point.

I don't want 50 settings and configurations ..... I mean like throw some loops and basic midi patterns with sounds in an easy way.

I get it, I know there are some apps that are similar.

But it still takes me SEVERAL apps and multiple settings to do what I can achieve easier on Ableton.

I really hope some developers use the ideas on Ableton and implement music making apps with similar concepts and implementations.

I am sure if you don't like Ableton this is a stupid idea. But, it is just a thought.

One thing that is key I guess to apps that work are similar native Launchpad support.

Also, an easy file management system.

So yeah not the easiest concepts but doable none the less.

What say you on seeing more Ableton styled apps?

What app approach do you like or want to see more of?

Comments

• BeatMaker 3 scenes mode = maschine / Ableton

• @universe said:
    BeatMaker 3 scenes mode = maschine / Ableton

Yeah.

I know.

I do like the update for BM3. It is nice IMHO.

But, I guess not even BM3.

To me BM3 is almost more its own thing for the systems involved to use it properly.

Not much in the process that feels very Ableton.

Just me though. WTF do I know.....LOL

• @universe But if it was able to record your ideas into the song mode as you played around in the scenes that would be amazing. Pattern switches, automation, and all that fun stuff!

@RUST( i )K I was just thinking the other day that Ableton effects are amazing. Simple to use and very powerful I would love to see an app with an impressive effects suite like that. I had Ableton for years but now just work strictly iPad, however, I did appreciate the intuitive workflow it offered.

• @MichaelLawrence said:
    @universe But if it was able to record your ideas into the song mode as you played around in the scenes that would be amazing. Pattern switches, automation, and all that fun stuff!

@RUST( i )K I was just thinking the other day that Ableton effects are amazing. Simple to use and very powerful I would love to see an app with an impressive effects suite like that. I had Ableton for years but now just work strictly iPad, however, I did appreciate the intuitive workflow it offered.

So am not alone ......... ;)

• edited June 2018

@universe But if it was able to record your ideas into the song mode as you played around in the scenes that would be amazing. Pattern switches, automation, and all that fun stuff!“

@MichaelLawrence a lot of folks have been asking for this so I dare say that will come at some point. Personally however I am fine without that workflow for my compositions. I prefer crafting my scenes. Using that mode as a sketch pad. Then I choose which are my favourites. Rearrange them into an order I like for verse chorus etc, and then copy n paste to song timeline. It definitely could use some overall more love though. If I were recording ‘live” as you mention I know that I would get the performance wrong and have to keep re-recording it. For me it wouldn’t be useful I don’t think. But I get why others might want it.

• I think one reason for lack of apps like say impulse is this.

Use intent.

I think most apps are planned for use with a DAW or AUM.

Not many are made to use sort of as if one wanted.

For not any purpose maybe but trying out sounds.

So that is where able to do be independent is key. It must do its own thing regardless of other apps.

I don't know if that is practical to a developer.

• A good concept would be, to have a kinda Ableton alike App, but very basic and overlookable, and functions as a “server” for the Apps installed on your Ipad. The barebone could be something like AUM or Audiobus, and incased in an Ableton-like DAW.

• @Identor said:
    A good concept would be, to have a kinda Ableton alike App, but very basic and overlookable, and functions as a “server” for the Apps installed on your Ipad. The barebone could be something like AUM or Audiobus, and incased in an Ableton-like DAW.

Hmmmm........

Several thoughts flood the mind.

• edited June 2018

Something about this perhaps? ;)

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/26461/show-me-the-money#latest

That being said I have no doubt that there will be a 'mobile breakout' of sorts in the near future. I feel like we just got the first wiff of it last year. To me that was mobile music 1.0, everything before was a clunky open beta.

• I guess GrooveRider is the closest thing for me as far as creatively.

I also find that LP-5 is actually the easiest and most accessible grid launcher for loop use.

It has zip import and easy loop changing. Also LOOP VISIBILITY ON THE MAIN PAGE WHILE YOU USE.

That is why I use Grooverider and Patterning with 1 synth almost all the time anymore.

I just want to make music and this trio of apps does it.

I then throw ReSlice, Sector, BeBot, KMachine, and a couple others on secondary iOS device along with the Circuit.

AND THE MACBOOK USING ABLETON TO AUDITION LOOPS AND TRY OUT NOTE PATTERNS.

• But that are also personal preferences. I really couldn´t do anything with Abelton but there are many many interesting tools which would fit awesome on a touch screen...especially some creative FX.

• @AudioGus said:
    Something about this perhaps? ;)

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/26461/show-me-the-money#latest

That being said I have no doubt that there will be a 'mobile breakout' of sorts in the near future. I feel like we just got the first wiff of it last year. To me that was mobile music 1.0, everything before was a clunky open beta.

Cliffs?

Long day bro....LOL

• @Identor said:
    A good concept would be, to have a kinda Ableton alike App, but very basic and overlookable, and functions as a “server” for the Apps installed on your Ipad. The barebone could be something like AUM or Audiobus, and incased in an Ableton-like DAW.

I have a name for it! Modstep! Nonono Garageband! (Live loops)

:trollface:

• @Dubbylabby said:

@Identor said:

• edited June 2018

Can't explain it myself. This is even the reason I tried to reproduce Ableton Live scenes system with an AUM/AB TouchOSC setup, here is my tutorial about it: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/25970/tutorial-saxloops-1-how-to-jam-with-iphone-and-ipad-apps-like-with-ableton-live#latest

Hope one or another day on iOS, an app will offer that kind of worflow with more simpler and direct use.

• @Cib said:
    But that are also personal preferences. I really couldn´t do anything with Abelton but there are many many interesting tools which would fit awesome on a touch screen...especially some creative FX.

Which ones for you?

Maybe some devs will read this!

• @Janosax said:
    Can't explain it myself. This is even the reason I tried to reproduce Ableton Live scenes system with an AUM/AB TouchOSC setup, here is my tutorial about it: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/25970/tutorial-saxloops-1-how-to-jam-with-iphone-and-ipad-apps-like-with-ableton-live#latest

Hope one or another day on iOS, an app will offer that kind of worflow with more simpler and direct use.

A
    M
    E
    N

• @universe This is how I work as well. It would definitely a nice option to have. We will see what goodies come with 3.1!

• @Dubbylabby said:

@Identor said:

I have Modstep installed, but after a few tries, i found it too un-logic to use, and the learning curve too high, and gets me separated from creativity.

• @Identor said:

@Dubbylabby said:

@Identor said:

I have Modstep installed, but after a few tries, i found it too un-logic to use, and the learning curve too high, and gets me separated from creativity.

It is a practical representation for all intensive purposes.

Give it a little time.

I think you may be surprised.

For me I like it but I need more audio access quickly and easily.

I have loaded some drums in Modstep and has some def Ableton qualities like Drum Rack.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Cib said:
    But that are also personal preferences. I really couldn´t do anything with Abelton but there are many many interesting tools which would fit awesome on a touch screen...especially some creative FX.

Which ones for you?

Of course Logic´s latest and greatest Step FX and Phat FX for example....really so dynamic and high quality FX at the same time.
    Maybe Drumbo could do similar morphing FX soon?
    Then i like Dust, a binaural granular synth/FX with a really great visual way to modulate sounds trough binaural space plus a convolver. Hard to explain and there aren´t much good videos about it but it´s one tool where i really would like to touch the GUI.
    Then there are tons of Reaktor FX and creative midi sequencers which you would think would work wonderful on a touch screen as well.
    Then stuff like the Cableguys Shaper Box.
    More creative reverb like B2 or Breeze 2.
    Something like Kaleidoscope or Metasynth would be nice as well for iOS.
    Vocal FX and tools like Vocalise,
    There are a few great tools for sure but they are more of the save side and/or aren´t of really the high quality i would like.
    I don´t talk about cheap or expensive or free tools. I just think my time is limited and i just want to use the best i can afford for the thing i love. I would have no problem to pay a good amount for the next step of high quality FX for iOS.
    I think we have now so much synths on iOS, it´s time for filling other gaps.
    But this is of course my useless opinion here ;)

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Identor said:

@Dubbylabby said:

@Identor said:

Give it a little time.

I have loaded some drums in Modstep and has some def Ableton qualities like Drum Rack.

Maybe i should dive into Modstep a bit more :)
    BM3 gives me the most benefit, but i dont like the “MPC” approach. I would like to see MPC style as an option.

• @Cib said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@Cib said:

Which ones for you?

Of course Logic´s latest and greatest Step FX and Phat FX for example....really so dynamic and high quality FX at the same time.
    Then i like Dust, a binaural granular synth/FX with a really great visual way to modulate sounds trough binaural space plus a convolver. Hard to explain and there aren´t much good videos about it but it´s one tool where i really would like to touch the GUI.
    Then there are tons of Reaktor FX and creative midi sequencers which you would think would work wonderful on a touch screen as well.
    There are a few great tools for sure but they are more of the save side and/or aren´t of really the high quality i would like.
    I don´t talk about cheap or expensive or free tools. I just think my time is limited and i just want to use the best i can afford for the thing i love. I would have no problem to pay a good amount for the next step of high quality FX for iOS.

Agree

Hence, the thread!

Notice synths not even mentioned by me.

We are on same page.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Cib said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@Cib said:

Which ones for you?

Agree

Hence, the thread!

Notice synths not even mentioned by me.

We are on same page.

Yep. I´m now so saturated at synths on both iOS and mac but i´m always for some new great FX to mangle sound.
    A thing i learned that even the stock Logic synths sounds as good as most of the really expensive super synths if you use the right FX on top.
    Physical modeling like Sculpture or Chromaphone 2 would be still an instant buy for me on iOS since these are really much much better as everything we have now on iOS in this area.
    My biggest wish would be that someone make a plug-in and AUv3 from that nice Alchemy modFX effect which is really unique and i couldn´t get similar results with any other FX i ever tried.
    IOS is a bit too save for me when it comes to experimental things.
    I just want these tools on mac AND iOS since i like to create stuff only in iOS as well as only in mac rather than connecting these. I just import the results as wav maybe to Logic for further processing but since IDAM is buggy i gave up on it so far.
    Logic is almost too good (if you can say such a thing) now so that i have no reason to buy anything now beside unique sample libraries maybe.
    But i think what Logic is for me on mac could be NanoStudio 2 on iOS again. A self contained and powerful environment to create nearly everything i would like on the specific device where i just need a few AUv3 on top for the few things missing.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    I don't get it.

ABLETON has proven ideas and GUI use and implementation.

I am shocked more developers have not done more Ableton inspired apps. The ideas are the gold standard for me in many respects for what I do and how I do it.

Glad to see the Samplist. He gets it.

But I am shocked not to see more grid based user friendly apps that allow EASY loop swapping and music making.

Or how about Fx.

Ableton 10 has some really great concepts.

IF I WERE A DEV(yes easy to say I know) I would be all over some apps that emulate Drum Rack, Impulse and FX!

The new drum Fx package is a great app idea. I would love to see an app with these fx grouped neatly with similar parameter control.

How about beat repeat audio fx?

I don't know but I still use Ableton daily for auditioning sounds and testing ideas.

It is so easy for me to just try a concept.

I wish there were apps that were really like that Ableton more at this point.

I don't want 50 settings and configurations ..... I mean like throw some loops and basic midi patterns with sounds in an easy way.

I get it, I know there are some apps that are similar.

But it still takes me SEVERAL apps and multiple settings to do what I can achieve easier on Ableton.

I really hope some developers use the ideas on Ableton and implement music making apps with similar concepts and implementations.

I am sure if you don't like Ableton this is a stupid idea. But, it is just a thought.

One thing that is key I guess to apps that work are similar native Launchpad support.

Also, an easy file management system.

So yeah not the easiest concepts but doable none the less.

What say you on seeing more Ableton styled apps?

What app approach do you like or want to see more of?

Well, we are waiting on this much talked about Beatmaker 3 update.

• @Identor said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@Identor said:

@Dubbylabby said:

@Identor said:

Give it a little time.

Maybe i should dive into Modstep a bit more :)
    BM3 gives me the most benefit, but i dont like the “MPC” approach. I would like to see MPC style as an option.

In some moment Modstep will add audio loops and all of us will give it another chance. Not wondering, it was a video from instagram proven it.

Now trolling aside... I’m not true sure about Ableton full replacement on iOS. Ampify apps are bits of workflowable features and in some way even fastest and funniest. Also ableton export for final touch (if you don’t want to deal with Bm3/Auria/cubasis/garageband) brings a clever workflow for ending songs instead produce endless never finished tracks

About loop swapping there are interesting tools like looptunesHD, Remixlive, grouptheloop... but it depends on your personal workflow. Since Ableton has lots of possible workflows porting as is to iOS seems a bit hard (BM3 is near but still need some features)

Maybe there aren’t so many apps like you describe due there are other better adapted to iOS field waiting you to discover them or due iOS limitations (includding app revenue) it worthless for devs such hard development...

• I just want ableton to officially make an iOS version.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    I just want ableton to officially make an iOS version.

/thread

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    I just want ableton to officially make an iOS version.

Always the dreamer!

• @universe said:
    @universe But if it was able to record your ideas into the song mode as you played around in the scenes that would be amazing. Pattern switches, automation, and all that fun stuff!“

@MichaelLawrence a lot of folks have been asking for this so I dare say that will come at some point. Personally however I am fine without that workflow for my compositions. I prefer crafting my scenes. Using that mode as a sketch pad. Then I choose which are my favourites. Rearrange them into an order I like for verse chorus etc, and then copy n paste to song timeline. It definitely could use some overall more love though. If I were recording ‘live” as you mention I know that I would get the performance wrong and have to keep re-recording it. For me it wouldn’t be useful I don’t think. But I get why others might want it.

but Wonderfully with Ableton you can edit your performance after the fact......... boom!