Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

apeMatrix by apeSoft

Comments

• query: can i use the internal LFOs to send midi cc out to an IAA app? or is it just to AU paramaters? cheers

• @wellingtonCres said:
    query: can i use the internal LFOs to send midi cc out to an IAA app? or is it just to AU paramaters? cheers

It is just the AU’s, but there are other options for the IAA’s such as Roseta LFO.

• This is my next challenge with ApeMatrix is to discover and unravel LFOs use. Will watch @Daveypoo video again. He really jumpstarted my understanding of the app.

My mind has been blown in this past few months ... for the good!

• @JudgeDredd & @kinkujin Thanks for the good feedback. I've got another apeMatrix video coming shortly - I'm just finalizing the details of the approach.

Yes - using Rozeta Cells to change the keys of an arpeggiator is a fantastic idea. I still struggle a bit with making longer-form sequences that aren't just a single chord or texture. I've taken to using Cells and turning the global gate length off. This really opens things up to add more life to a part. Take this jam, for instance:

I used Cells to play the electric piano and give it more of a live jamming feel.

I'm telling you - there are WORLDS within Rozeta that have yet to be discovered. Amazingly useful.

• Yes - using Rozeta Cells to change the keys of an arpeggiator is a fantastic idea. I still >>struggle a bit with making longer-form sequences that aren't just a single chord or >>texture

This is why I'm looking forward to #midiSequencer's auv3 sequencer. It should allow you to paste together a few generated sequences into something a bit more structured.

• The big update just dropped

• @Jumpercollins said:
    The big update just dropped

Coooool, the wait has finished!! :)

• edited November 2018

Was thinking we could maybe use this to route midi for Midi AU inside StageLight but it appears to be just Audio ?

• yeah that's an audio bus only

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Was thinking we could maybe use this to route midi for Midi AU inside StageLight but it appears to be just Audio ?

Yes that’s just audio.

• With the Mixer Send Receive (apeSoft) AU can you now route audio from GarageBand into other DAWs?

• edited December 2018

"you cannot send/receive audio outside of the host app boundary (sandbox)"
    answered my question :(

So to use garageband instruments in production outside of the environs of garageband you would have to:

1. Sync garageband to your song (midi not link)
    2. record that part
    3. export that part
    4. import into your DAW

?

• @audiblevideo said:
    "you cannot send/receive audio outside of the host app boundary (sandbox)"
    answered my question :(

So to use garageband instruments in production outside of the environs of garageband you would have to:

1. Sync garageband to your song (midi not link)
    2. record that part
    3. export that part
    4. import into your DAW

?

Yes, except than you can use Midi Link Sync app which can allow you to sync GarageBand midi clock with Link apps.

• edited January 2019

I've been spending some time with the 'Sample-Player'(AUv3) in ApeMatrix and it's quite nice but with a few 'areas' where it could be improved.

While the AUM built-in keyboard it doesn't properly?! send notes to the ApeMatrix Sampler (ie. it kinda triggers and permanently latches the sample-playback?!) but KB-1 and the ApeMatrix Built-in Keyboard) trigger the sample at correct pitch but there is no way to 'reset' the play-head on note-off meaning the sample-playback continues from the last location when a new note is triggered.

This 'simple' addition (ie. reset playhead on note-off) together with an option to disable looping would make the ApeMatrix sampler a very useful tool for single-shot samples.

Maybe there is a reset-playhead features built-in but I'm too blind to see it?

• hilariously, now that> @Samu said:

I've been spending some time with the 'Sample-Player'(AUv3) in ApeMatrix and it's quite nice but with a few 'areas' where it could be improved.

While the AUM built-in keyboard it doesn't properly?! send notes to the ApeMatrix Sampler (ie. it kinda triggers and permanently latches the sample-playback?!) but KB-1 and the ApeMatrix Built-in Keyboard) trigger the sample at correct pitch but there is no way to 'reset' the play-head on note-off meaning the sample-playback continues from the last location when a new note is triggered.

This 'simple' addition (ie. reset playhead on note-off) together with an option to disable looping would make the ApeMatrix sampler a very useful tool for single-shot samples.

Maybe there is a reset-playhead features built-in but I'm too blind to see it?

hilariously, now that you’ve pointed that aspect of the ape sampler out I am over the moon about it!
    i never noticed it did that and can think of all kinds of uses, its nice sometimes that some things don’t function the same way as all the other instances we have..
    still it wouldn’t be a hardship to have the more ‘musical’ way of going about it as an option..
    I certainly can’t find any hidden work around or way to change that behaviour..
    but i have to hand it to Allesandro, he’s out there flying the flag for electro-abusetik geekdom! :)

• @Samu said:
    I've been spending some time with the __________ but there are a few 'areas' where it could be improved.

Samu = Some Areas Merit (an) Update. I learn a lot from your App evaluations.

• I'm getting some really weird behaviour with a Roli Lightpad Block M in Apematrix. When the Noise AU is loaded, the Lightpad/Apematrix are firing off various MIDI notes that I'm not playing (mostly in massively lower octaves)! Doesn't happen in any other host.

• 1.5 released

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=l2-ykJK8f8Y

• Removed delay in the audio connections
    • New Delay Compensation
    • New Sub-presets for matrix connections
    • New MIDI filter Source selection for MIDI multi-cable AUv3
    • New AUv3 MIDI Send for most MIDI common messages
    • New AUv3: Gain Pan
    • AUv3: Sampling Rate change according to the host
    • AUv3: Save knob/slider steepness in presets
    • AUv3: LFO Memory Leak, fixed
    • AUv3: Host will Display Logarithmic values properly
    • New Preferred List in ‘Load Audio Units’ view
    • Presets Manager show Factory/Library/User icons
  • Nice! Playing with the new toys now...

• Another big update,@Daveypoo a video needed I think with the new tools ?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:
    I bought this on sale and ashamed to say I haven’t opened it since. Still don’t really know what it’s all about or what it’s better for than AUM/DAW. Maybe this weekend....

Both apeMatrix and AUM do very similar things but with a different user interface.
    I'd go as far as to say that apeMatrix is the deeper, more powerful one at a lower price.
    AUM presents a classic mixer-like interface with the app icons and channels being the main focus while apeMatrix always shows all of them on one screen and lets you route between many AUv3 and IAA plugins; audio and MIDI can be freely routed separate from each other, plus apeMatrix has full MIDI Clock support i.e. it can not only send but also receive MIDI Clock.
    apeMatrix lets you control just anything via internal or external MIDI, plus it has Gyroscope control (move and turn your iDevice to shape sound) and syncable LFOs for rhythmic or more experimental modulations, the MIDI section has a separate filter for each plugin including transpose, channel filter, key range limit and note quantisation to any scale you want!

apeMatrix can also act as a Bluetooth MIDI client in order to connect a second iPhone or iPad wirelessly, e.g. to add another cpu-eating synth :smiley:

• This is another big update :)

Midi send AUv3 This is the most powerful AUv3 LFO on the platform currently, 8 LFOs with XY pads and multi port AU. I'm using it in every project session in other hosts too. :)
    Check the layer compensation options for each track. Also now we have presets for each matrix.

• This is definitely interesting to me. Thanks for the idea. Need to research methinks!

@rs2000 said:

apeMatrix can also act as a Bluetooth MIDI client in order to connect a second iPhone or iPad wirelessly, e.g. to add another cpu-eating synth :smiley:

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Another big update,@Daveypoo a video needed I think with the new tools ?

I'll see what I can do... 😉

• apeMatrix keeps on getting better and better!

A few requests I'd love to see implemented is...

For its AUv3 sampler an option to reset the playhead when re-triggering a sample.
    For its AUv3 oscilloscope a few alternate 'trigger settings' so it's easier to analyse the wave-forms.

What I like the most in this update is that the AUv3 selector pops up a LOT faster now :)

• @rs2000 and @Jumpercollins , thank you both

• @rs2000 said:

@EyeOhEss said:
    I bought this on sale and ashamed to say I haven’t opened it since. Still don’t really know what it’s all about or what it’s better for than AUM/DAW. Maybe this weekend....

Both apeMatrix and AUM do very similar things but with a different user interface.
    I'd go as far as to say that apeMatrix is the deeper, more powerful one at a lower price.
    AUM presents a classic mixer-like interface with the app icons and channels being the main focus while apeMatrix always shows all of them on one screen and lets you route between many AUv3 and IAA plugins; audio and MIDI can be freely routed separate from each other, plus apeMatrix has full MIDI Clock support i.e. it can not only send but also receive MIDI Clock.
    apeMatrix lets you control just anything via internal or external MIDI, plus it has Gyroscope control (move and turn your iDevice to shape sound) and syncable LFOs for rhythmic or more experimental modulations, the MIDI section has a separate filter for each plugin including transpose, channel filter, key range limit and note quantisation to any scale you want!

The ability to have LFO control for every AU parameter of every AU hosted is truly awesome.

I just wish that I could record stems! One recording per matrix is too few if I was trying to use aM as my main mixer. As such I use it as if it were a meta-modular-synth that I host in AUM. I do wish I could just use it for everything though....