Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - June 2018

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine.

Comments

• My entry for the month, it's an instrumental this time around, it did have vocals at one point but they really sucked, so I deleted them.

• @richardyot You have quite a distinct sound now mate which is great, I’d spot your track in a..police...musical...line up :s :D yeah! Great analogy Leo! :D it’s the bass and those soft bells I think.

Anyway, yeah, I enjoyed it. It had some nice little changes to keep things interesting.

Nice one mate.

• My entry for the month. This is just a solo gig this time. All thoughts are gratefully received and a huge thanks to all who commented on “Silent Tears” from last month. :)

• Some you win, some you lose. Not sure about this fella. Has got some nice bass in there somewhere, hope it comes through. Again done in Gadget in the mobile telephone apparatus, then fucked up in Auria Pro 😉

• @richardyot I'm digging the vibe the synths play very nicely with the bass.

• @LostBoy85 Like this very much! The piano is so well done and when the strings come in it all gels together nicely. Really well done

• @crouchie Loving the synth work and bass. Your vocal delivery fits the style perfectly I just wish it sat in the mix a little louder, hard to hear :( everything else seems to fit nicely amongst each other!

• For June:

Some drum & bass / jungle as promised. Pill foley by me (cause I'm getting OLD and I need TYLENOL), vocal sample also me. Sequenced in Auxy, have some Blocs Wave/Launchpad under here somewhere and some amen samples cut up with ReSlice. Whole mix run through Grand Finale as usual. Thanks!

• @icsleepers said:
    For June:

Some drum & bass / jungle as promised. Pill foley by me (cause I'm getting OLD and I need TYLENOL), vocal sample also me. Sequenced in Auxy, have some Blocs Wave/Launchpad under here somewhere and some amen samples cut up with ReSlice. Whole mix run through Grand Finale as usual. Thanks!

Hey man,
    I love the samples you've used & like the track in general (full disclosure drum & bass ain't my usual bag o biscuits) for me though, there wasn't enough low end in the drums? Maybe it's my Apple pods? Maybe that's how you like them? Either way, I couldn't quite get into it like I wanted.

It's funny, cos I've worked with a couple of drum & bass guys & their kicks usually brake my skull! Diff strokes for diff folks & all that.

• @LostBoy85 Thanks for listening! I had a ROUGH time with these drum samples. I almost feel like there was some reverb on them or something cause it’s not 100% what I was looking for sound wise. I was pleased with the programming just wish it didn’t sound like there was some FX over them that I didn’t put there :s

• @LostBoy85 said:

I'm digging the mix and the strings were a great touch. I actually feel like if you cut the layered vocals during the verse it would come off better when you hit the chorus. When I got to around 3:00 I was like, ahhh yesh, that's what I was looking for.

• @richardyot said:

This sounds pretty much like a professional production. Killer work man. I kinda wish you had done something a little crazy with it though... Like Pink Floyd would build similar ambiances but then crush through with something expressive.

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month, it's an instrumental this time around, it did have vocals at one point but they really sucked, so I deleted them.

Good for an instrumental mate. Funny enough, I was watching The Beatles flick, "Yellow Submarine" the other day with my 7yr old little-Errrrn..... & now just listening to your inst, it would not sound out of place, if John Lennon or Paul McCartney sang over it...... More like sounding like a "Found Tape" in there lost Vault type of thingy. ;)

• @LostBoy85 said:
    My entry for the month. This is just a solo gig this time. All thoughts are gratefully received and a huge thanks to all who commented on “Silent Tears” from last month. :)

Another great one matey. You'll have to make an album mate... The girlfriend is getting bored to "Making Out"in the back of my truck, to just 3 of your songs.. :D

• @icsleepers said:
    For June:

Great stuff mate. Took me back with Acen/The House Crew/etc. I use to produce this style when I had an Amiga using just OctaMED SoundStudio. Bother good one.

• @crouchie said:

Some you win, some you lose. Not sure about this fella. Has got some nice bass in there somewhere, hope it comes through. Again done in Gadget in the mobile telephone apparatus, then fucked up in Auria Pro 😉

Tricky Disco meets LFO..... Early Techno Bleeping......... Awesome!..... With this track @icsleepers trck, your both sending me down memory lane, where I was definatley up to no good!........ ;) :D

• @studs1966 said:

@crouchie said:

Some you win, some you lose. Not sure about this fella. Has got some nice bass in there somewhere, hope it comes through. Again done in Gadget in the mobile telephone apparatus, then fucked up in Auria Pro 😉

Tricky Disco meets LFO..... Early Techno Bleeping......... Awesome!..... With this track @icsleepers trck, your both sending me down memory lane, where I was definatley up to no good!........ ;) :D

Thank you 😉

• @icsleepers said:
    @crouchie Loving the synth work and bass. Your vocal delivery fits the style perfectly I just wish it sat in the mix a little louder, hard to hear :( everything else seems to fit nicely amongst each other!

Thank u. Vocal level always a problem for me... Will get there one day 😬

• @LostBoy85 said:
    My entry for the month. This is just a solo gig this time. All thoughts are gratefully received and a huge thanks to all who commented on “Silent Tears” from last month. :)

Very well done. Was this acoustic piano and the strings? Sound really great - Thanks for sharing.

• Here's My June Entry...… Same Vocals (this time... Not where I cocked up last month....Ahem! :'( )..... But 3 mixes of the same song..... Enjoy guys... ;)

• @studs1966 Yesss got my foot tapping man. King Tubby mix is awesome, I love the tropes. They don't get old lol... it's like every time I hear a dub delay or siren, and I'm like man this is old... but it's always still so good.

That bassline in the classic disco mix, got me tapping my foot again. So good, friggin funky! Awesome summer vibes on this too maybe it's just my state of mind :) - yeah I'm halfway through now, I have such a secret soft spot for music like this don't tell anyone xD lol...

All three are great, I think the first two mixes are my favorite though. Awesome job!

• @icsleepers said:
    @studs1966 Yesss got my foot tapping man. King Tubby mix is awesome, I love the tropes. They don't get old lol... it's like every time I hear a dub delay or siren, and I'm like man this is old... but it's always still so good.

That bassline in the classic disco mix, got me tapping my foot again. So good, friggin funky! Awesome summer vibes on this too maybe it's just my state of mind :) - yeah I'm halfway through now, I have such a secret soft spot for music like this don't tell anyone xD lol...

All three are great, I think the first two mixes are my favorite though. Awesome job!

Thanks mate. It's not often I make Dub now, but when I do, I still try & do it the old Jamacian way..... So I tried mixing Old Style Jamaican Dub with Deep House/NU Disco, then see what the receipe would make, once it came out of the oven.
    The old engineers (King Tubby/ Lee Scratch Perry & the Sientist) are still the Dogs nuts in my book. If it wasn't for them, maybe sound of today's Dub may not be here?..... Maybe?...... Thanks all the same. ;)

• There's no doubt much is owed to the Dub ;D across many genres older and current

• @LostBoy85 Nice ballad, I like the minimalism of sound and production, a very different feel to your last couple of entries. There's only one thing I don't like, which is the piano arpeggio, it's too mechanical sounding for me (could be straight out of Chordbot), I would rather have some more delicate and human playing that would suit the song better IMO.

Everything else though is great, love the strings, the vocal is excellent, great melody (one of your best I think) and it's a really good song, probably one of the best ever submitted to SOTMC.

The middle eight is a really nice touch, gives the song a lovely change of pace and feel.

• @crouchie love the really claustrophobic atmosphere of this track, like a really dark and twisted version of the Cure's Close To Me. The harsh bleeping synth that serves as a musical hook is effective and unsettling and the vocal is well delivered in that quiet breathy style. The vocal need to come up a couple of DB.

It's a dark tune for sure, and I like the oppressive and disquieting atmosphere you've woven around it. The change of pace in the final third, along with the change in vocal melody works well, and then the additional instruments at the end give it a fitting climax. The only flaw is that the vocals are buried so it's hard to follow the flow and narrative.

• @richardyot said:
    @crouchie love the really claustrophobic atmosphere of this track, like a really dark and twisted version of the Cure's Close To Me. The harsh bleeping synth that serves as a musical hook is effective and unsettling and the vocal is well delivered in that quiet breathy style. The vocal need to come up a couple of DB.

It's a dark tune for sure, and I like the oppressive and disquieting atmosphere you've woven around it. The change of pace in the final third, along with the change in vocal melody works well, and then the additional instruments at the end give it a fitting climax. The only flaw is that the vocals are buried so it's hard to follow the flow and narrative.

Thank you, very kind and detailed. A recurring problem with me. I think that I bury them because otherwise I feel they overpower the backing track. Maybe it would be worth me experimenting with a bit of judicious ducking which I hear some people use with vocals. Worth a try! Thanks again, always much appreciated.
    P

• @richardyot said:
    @LostBoy85 Nice ballad, I like the minimalism of sound and production, a very different feel to your last couple of entries. There's only one thing I don't like, which is the piano arpeggio, it's too mechanical sounding for me (could be straight out of Chordbot), I would rather have some more delicate and human playing that would suit the song better IMO.

Everything else though is great, love the strings, the vocal is excellent, great melody (one of your best I think) and it's a really good song, probably one of the best ever submitted to SOTMC.

The middle eight is a really nice touch, gives the song a lovely change of pace and feel.

• Wow! That's really great and encouraging feedback mate. Thanks very much. :)

Haha!! Yes it was midi from chordbot into Beathawks piano and I totally agree with you regarding it, but I am grateful for that app, cos otherwise for naff players like me, i couldnt write a song like this. It at least provides a good sketch. :)

I've asked a friend to learn the piano part for me, so hopefully that will sound much better.

• @crouchie said:

Well I love the music and your vocal delivery on this one. I love the lyrics that I could hear, but that's the problem right there buddy. Crank that shit up. Do you use reference tracks when you mix? If not, then I'd def recommend it. Last month your vocal level was spot on. At least it's the easiest fix in the world!! :)

• @studs1966 said:
    Here's My June Entry...… Same Vocals (this time... Not where I cocked up last month....Ahem! :'( )..... But 3 mixes of the same song..... Enjoy guys... ;)

The disco ones always win me over mate! Nice work as always :)