Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Patterns and lo-fi drums

So I've made lo-fi, down tempo hip-hop mostly for 20 years. I've always loved electronic music, mostly down tempo, ambient, electronica, chill stuff with loads of reverb and delay.
Well about a year ago I decided no more sampling and sample based beats unless it's my own sounds I'm sampling ...
I've always dabbled in synths but since getting iPad im pretty much only making electronic stuff and I love it..
I pretty good at laying out synth lines and layers but still struggling to program drums the way I want to, i've got lucky a few times haha but still not where I want to be...
I like drums like Martin nonstatic, phasin, olaf melander, etc... Just off beat down temp stuff with Foley and off beat..
Having a hard time finding the right way to sequence, program em in iOS, so I just layer drums and percs in bm3 but I'm curious for any other tips and tricks to achieve this !

Comments

• I like drums like Martin nonstatic, phasin, olaf melander, etc... Just off beat down temp stuff with Foley and off beat.
    This is so intriguingly opaque! Can you give audio examples?
    My first suggestion would be iMaschine2 or iMPC Pro2 or Patterning.

• I have patterning, Ruismaker, elastic drums, bm3, imaschine

• Just all those little cymbals and clicks and everything is so 🙏🙏🙏🙏

• I made this track and got kinda lucky with zeeon to get some of the drums and the rest in patterning

• Ah, cool tune

• edited June 2018

There has to be a way to get doper with patenting, I just haven't found my mojo with it yet.
    So I mostly program by hand right now

• If you’re looking for synthesis-based approaches then I would suggest DM2 for the types of sounds you’re after. Elastic Drums is also a prime candidate, as is SeekBeats. But I think DM2 will more immediately cover most bases.

• @brice said:
    If you’re looking for synthesis-based approaches then I would suggest DM2 for the types of sounds you’re after. Elastic Drums is also a prime candidate, as is SeekBeats. But I think DM2 will more immediately cover most bases.

Thank ya @brice ! I struggle bad with mapping and creating in elastic, I love the possibilities I see in it but I just can't get it lol
    Def gonna grab dm2
    I also tried Ruismaker, it's deff a solid app but I haven't yet been able to get it to flow like I want, outside of some basic 4/4 patterns

• @reasOne said:

@brice said:
    If you’re looking for synthesis-based approaches then I would suggest DM2 for the types of sounds you’re after. Elastic Drums is also a prime candidate, as is SeekBeats. But I think DM2 will more immediately cover most bases.

Thank ya @brice ! I struggle bad with mapping and creating in elastic, I love the possibilities I see in it but I just can't get it lol
    Def gonna grab dm2
    I also tried Ruismaker, it's deff a solid app but I haven't yet been able to get it to flow like I want, outside of some basic 4/4 patterns

You’re welcome! Elastic Drums certainly has a bit of a learning curve to dive in deep. But it’s incredibly powerful once you’re in. And the Ruismakers IMO have some of the most solid sound engines for synth-based drums on iOS. Driving them with Rozeta is a great path to building more complex sequences. But right out of the gate for what you’re after, I’d put my money on DM2.

• @brice said:

@reasOne said:

@brice said:

Def gonna grab dm2

You’re welcome! Elastic Drums certainly has a bit of a learning curve to dive in deep. But it’s incredibly powerful once you’re in. And the Ruismakers IMO have some of the most solid sound engines for synth-based drums on iOS. Driving them with Rozeta is a great path to building more complex sequences. But right out of the gate for what you’re after, I’d put my money on DM2.

+1 on the Ruismaker synths ! The sounds are absolutely great!

• @reasOne said:
    So I've made lo-fi, down tempo hip-hop mostly for 20 years. I've always loved electronic music, mostly down tempo, ambient, electronica, chill stuff with loads of reverb and delay.
    Well about a year ago I decided no more sampling and sample based beats unless it's my own sounds I'm sampling ...
    I've always dabbled in synths but since getting iPad im pretty much only making electronic stuff and I love it..
    I pretty good at laying out synth lines and layers but still struggling to program drums the way I want to, i've got lucky a few times haha but still not where I want to be...
    I like drums like Martin nonstatic, phasin, olaf melander, etc... Just off beat down temp stuff with Foley and off beat..
    Having a hard time finding the right way to sequence, program em in iOS, so I just layer drums and percs in bm3 but I'm curious for any other tips and tricks to achieve this !

Thanks very much for turning me on to Martin Nonstatic. Really good stuff.

Ruismaker is easy to use and sounds good. Drumjam is also easy to use, and is underrated for electronic drum sounds, and it gives you a little improvisational jamming control that a conventional drum machine doesn't have.

• @reasOne said:
    I made this track and got kinda lucky with zeeon to get some of the drums and the rest in patterning

This is really great. I love how brief it is. So just Zeeon and Patterning?

• I think you really just need to go crazy with random probability triggers/generators. In Patterning (which is all samples, btw) you can adjust the probability that a step will trigger. Rozeta has a nifty Mutate feature just program the beats you want to stay strong and then sprinkle the rest around with Mutate. If you don’t have Rozeta, I recommend it. I was on the fence for months saying why would I use a bunch of random generators and sequencers you can’t program with live playing? I’ve been using it a lot, mostly Cells. I think I need to use this Mutate more to get me away from solid beats.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@reasOne said:
    I made this track and got kinda lucky with zeeon to get some of the drums and the rest in patterning

This is really great. I love how brief it is. So just Zeeon and Patterning?

All the percussion / drum sounds are from patterning and zeeon, the synths are zeeon and Layr I'm pretty sure,
    Recording audio into cubasis and recorded out into Ableton !

Thanks a lot man !

• @DMan said:
    I think you really just need to go crazy with random probability triggers/generators. In Patterning (which is all samples, btw) you can adjust the probability that a step will trigger. Rozeta has a nifty Mutate feature just program the beats you want to stay strong and then sprinkle the rest around with Mutate. If you don’t have Rozeta, I recommend it. I was on the fence for months saying why would I use a bunch of random generators and sequencers you can’t program with live playing? I’ve been using it a lot, mostly Cells. I think I need to use this Mutate more to get me away from solid beats.

That's a good call !
    I do have Rosetta, I have no idea how to properly set it up to do that, but it can't be that hard to figure out hopefully !
    I will have to look into that

• edited June 2018

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@reasOne said:

Thanks very much for turning me on to Martin Nonstatic. Really good stuff.

Ruismaker is easy to use and sounds good. Drumjam is also easy to use, and is underrated for electronic drum sounds, and it gives you a little improvisational jamming control that a conventional drum machine doesn't have.

Martin is the man ! Especially his latest release, ligand , so amazing!

• Great stuff, @reasOne - both your work and your recommendations.