Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recording midi from AUM

Comments

• @theinvisibleman said:
    I tried but failed, I only see midi out within sequencism. Too much routing for my brain.

Hang tight. I will make a tutorial for you.

• @rrc2soft That is too funny! :D B)

• edited June 2018

@CracklePot you are very kind person, please do not spend too much time on this, maybe it is not a great solution for me as i want to be able to record multiple midi tracks in AUM quickly and with minimal complexity. Sound like i need 2 tracks per midi record within sequencism.

• Maybe you should start to read something about MIDI on iOs. It's fairly straightforware once you know what MIDI IN/OUT is and what routing you should do.

• edited June 2018

@OnfraySin said:
    Maybe you should start to read something about MIDI on iOs. It's fairly straightforware once you know what MIDI IN/OUT is and what routing you should do.

sequencism does not have built-in midi input for external sources, other than Bluetooth pianos. I spoke to the developer.

• @theinvisibleman said:

@OnfraySin said:
    Maybe you should start to read something about MIDI on iOs. It's fairly straightforware once you know what MIDI IN/OUT is and what routing you should do.

sequencism does not have built-in midi input for external sources, other than Bluetooth pianos. I spoke to the developer.

It is a bit embarrassing on my side :D , but reading @CracklePot description of the workflow I discovered how little I know about MIDI routing myself :# .

@CracklePot , can you still do that tutorial, even if it is for me? That way, once I see how things work, and once I see what @theinvisibleman needs (compared to your tutorial), I can properly check if I can add better support for MIDI IN in sequencism without breaking the app design goals.

• @rrc2soft Sorry, been busy. I will prepare this tut today for you, my man.

• @CracklePot said:
    @rrc2soft Sorry, been busy. I will prepare this tut today for you, my man.

No problem, thanks! Take your time :)

• @rrc2soft said:

@CracklePot said:

Sent you a PM. Still can’t believe you are asking me about something. :D

• @CracklePot said:

@rrc2soft said:

@CracklePot said:

Sent you a PM. Still can’t believe you are asking me about something. :D

As I told you over PM, I am a MIDIot :D

• edited June 2018
  • edited June 2018

I am looking for a simple solution to record the midi from AUM.

• @theinvisibleman said:

I am looking for a simple solution to record the midi from AUM.

Yes - but it’s not as simple as I thought it would be

• edited June 2018

Bram Bros, please take over an build something to record midi in AUM ...
    This whole topic is a mess as there are just compromises that take endless effort and are of little use.

This topic shows also the big problem IOS music.... Too many interfaces, too many usage paradigms to get into a flow of doing one thing right...

One reason why I like AUM is, that it has a simple interface with deep routings beneath it... And I really whish I could add another AU Unit to record my midi in there as Audio is already handled within AUM....

Or the other way around: Korg please do a pricey new instrument that is just an AU Container to integrate those instruments within Gadget..... I would happily pay 20 Euros to open up Gadget to this world and record all my stuff in Gadget...
    One way or the other... it would be great to have something like that.... (dream on...)

• Would be even better if midi record was built into AUM, so on each track you could just record midi if you wish. The recorded midi file could go to audioshare or a new midishare.

• edited June 2018

@theinvisibleman said:
    Would be even better if midi record was built into AUM, so on each track you could just record midi if you wish. The recorded midi file could go to audioshare or a new midishare.

Midishare!!

Aaagghh. I want this!!

@j_liljedahl yes please! :)

• @theinvisibleman said:
    Would be even better if midi record was built into AUM, so on each track you could just record midi if you wish. The recorded midi file could go to audioshare or a new midishare.

The question is where such MIDI recording functionality would be handled in the user interface? It can't be for each track, since tracks are channeling audio - not MIDI. The MIDI could come from anywhere, so which MIDI would be recorded? Perhaps it would have to be done as a separate MIDI destination in the MIDI routing matrix, but then users would need to remember to send their MIDI to that destination as well as to their synth node, etc.

Another way would be if each and every MIDI destination (synths and effect nodes) could record the MIDI routed to it. Perhaps as a toggle in the node menu (where you can now select MIDI source for that node etc), that when enabled and the main transport is recording, records this MIDI as a separate track to a single MIDI file? So if MIDI-record is enabled on multiple nodes, it would result in multiple MIDI tracks in the file.

• edited June 2018

@j_liljedahl said:

@theinvisibleman said:

The question is where such MIDI recording functionality would be handled in the user interface? It can't be for each track, since tracks are channeling audio - not MIDI. The MIDI could come from anywhere, so which MIDI would be recorded? Perhaps it would have to be done as a separate MIDI destination in the MIDI routing matrix, but then users would need to remember to send their MIDI to that destination as well as to their synth node, etc.

Another way would be if each and every MIDI destination (synths and effect nodes) could record the MIDI routed to it. Perhaps as a toggle in the node menu (where you can now select MIDI source for that node etc), that when enabled and the main transport is recording, records this MIDI as a separate track to a single MIDI file? So if MIDI-record is enabled on multiple nodes, it would result in multiple MIDI tracks in the file.

Your last suggestion would be awesome if I understand it correctly. Would you consider implementing this in AUM?

• @theinvisibleman said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@theinvisibleman said:

Your last suggestion would be awesome if I understand it correctly. Would you consider implementing this in AUM?

Yeah, now that we have AU plugins generating MIDI as well as Audio, it actually makes a bit more sense to allow recording it in AUM. My list of things to consider for future AUM updates is huge already, but I've added this one as well :)

• edited June 2018

@j_liljedahl said:

@j_liljedahl also said:

Yeah, now that we have AU plugins generating MIDI as well as Audio, it actually makes a bit more sense to allow recording it in AUM. My list of things to consider for future AUM updates is huge already, but I've added this one as well :)

Cooool!! :)

• @faktoid said:
    This topic shows also the big problem IOS music.... Too many interfaces, too many usage paradigms to get into a flow of doing one thing right...

Fair. Not that the situation is much better on other platforms or that it hasn’t improved significantly with AU. But we’re still far from a seamless and consistent experience.
    Which is part of the reason apeMatrix opened some people’s ears and minds. One way to put it is that there’s still room for experimentation.
    Maybe we’ll get the optimal workflow within a few years? MIDI-CI might help, no?

• edited June 2018

Maybe I’m not understanding the question but Cubasis can record multiple midi tracks from AUM (tried a couple Rozeta sequencers, on a couple tracks in Cubasis...)

Ok sorry I get it, your trying to do this DAWless

• @Littlewoodg said:
    Maybe I’m not understanding the question but Cubasis can record multiple midi tracks from AUM (tried a couple Rozeta sequencers, on a couple tracks in Cubasis...)

By turning AUM into a DAW. :D

• @Littlewoodg said:

Good to hear...
    I am still struggling with that as I do not find a tutorial to walk me through that...
    Please enlighten me :)

• edited June 2018

The key part about routing for midi from AUM is to assign the sequencers own midi channels (on their GUI in the case of the Rozeta stuff) to the particular tracks in Cubasis, not just the routing internal to AUM. And in Cubasis you chose Virtual midi in, and assign channel #s for each track, matching each of the sequencers own assignments.
    This is without Audiobus, just AUM to Cubasis. One can use the Audiobus for added features and convenience I’m sure, but I tested without it.

• edited June 2018

@Littlewoodg said:
    The key part about routing for midi from AUM is to assign the sequencers own midi channels (on their GUI in the case of the Rozeta stuff) to the particular tracks in Cubasis, not just the routing internal to AUM. And in Cubasis you chose Virtual midi in, and assign channel #s for each track, matching each of the sequencers own assignments.
    This is without Audiobus, just AUM to Cubasis. One can use the Audiobus for added features and convenience I’m sure, but I tested without it.

sounds like a plan. thank you..
    But :)
    How would you sync those two.... AUM and Cubasis.. As cubasis, correct me if I am wrong, does not support link and has to be the master and can send midi ... Should I set AUM - I have not checked that - as a midi slave?
    Is that possible? I am not critzising you but it is not very elegant and straight forward, which leads me again to the whish for a simple and more integrated solution... Come on Bram Bros... make it happen :)

• While I'd love to see it in AUM, I'd even more love to see a simple midi recorder AU plugin that could be placed anywhere and would record any midi it sees as it passes it transparently through. Ideally it would be able to replay what it records as well.

It would be up to the user to decide where it would go. In AUM you would place it on a track like you do Rozeta now. Then you would route some midi to it, then route it's midi to the app you want to play. Arm it to record, press play, do your fantastic performance and/or automation magic, and it all gets recorded. Now you can play it back, or save it and play it back in another AU midi capable host. Of course, if it's an AU then you can use multiple recorders if needed, and even then channel them into one. The possibilities are endless, and finally automation and midi would be cleanly portable.

Overdub recording and punch in / punch out would be powerful features. Of course a slam-bang note and automation editor built-in would be out of this world, but probably far more difficult to do well than the rest.

• edited June 2018

@wim said:
    While I'd love to see it in AUM, I'd even more love to see a simple midi recorder AU plugin that could be placed anywhere and would record any midi it sees as it passes it transparently through. Ideally it would be able to replay what it records as well.

It would be up to the user to decide where it would go. In AUM you would place it on a track like you do Rozeta now. Then you would route some midi to it, then route it's midi to the app you want to play. Arm it to record, press play, do your fantastic performance and/or automation magic, and it all gets recorded. Now you can play it back, or save it and play it back in another AU midi capable host. Of course, if it's an AU then you can use multiple recorders if needed, and even then channel them into one. The possibilities are endless, and finally automation and midi would be cleanly portable.

That's a good idea, even for a built-in MIDI recorder in AUM. Even though it does require one extra MIDI route. Perhaps makes sense to combine with another idea I have, MIDI proxies (or busses) to simplify (re)connection and switching of external controllers. So instead of connecting a controller directly to some destinations, you can connect the proxy to those destinations. Then you can connect any controller to the proxy, and replace it without having to redo all the connections. Such a proxy could have some kind of rec/play functionality.

PS. For everyone hoping to see all this in the near future, don't stay up and wait! It will take a long time since it's part of a larger remake of MIDI stuff in general in AUM. Hopefully before the end of 2018 :)