Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Trigger channels in AUM?

Looking for a way to trigger on off for channels in AUM. Pressing mute doesn't seem to work well for recording.
I'd like to do something such as play this channel for 8 bars, then add another channel, maybe stop another channel for 16 bars... etc.
Thanks

Comments

• What exactly doesn't work for you with muting and unmuting?

• edited June 2018

@Antkn33 said:
    Looking for a way to trigger on off for channels in AUM. Pressing mute doesn't seem to work well for recording.
    I'd like to do something such as play this channel for 8 bars, then add another channel, maybe stop another channel for 16 bars... etc.
    Thanks

I have used mutes to do this sort of thing....BUT I use a Korg Nanokontrol2 with the mute buttons mapped to AUM, and it works well.
    For file player tracks instead of using mute use the play start/stop.
    If you have a spare sequencer channel you could map the mutes to notes or CC's on that and automate them ?

• @syrupcore said:
    What exactly doesn't work for you with muting and unmuting?

I just meant it’s awkward to scroll and tap
    Mute at the exact moment.

• What kind of sequencer would do that?

@AndyPlankton said:

@Antkn33 said:
    Thanks

I have used mutes to do this sort of thing....BUT I use a Korg Nanokontrol2 with the mute buttons mapped to AUM, and it works well.
    For file player tracks instead of using mute use the play start/stop.
    If you have a spare sequencer channel you could map the mutes to notes or CC's on that and automate them ?

• @Antkn33 said:
    What kind of sequencer would do that?

You can probably do it with Rozeta Cells. You'd map notes to the mute buttons via AUM's midi mapper. Then create cells with one or more notes in them (if you wanted to toggle the mute state of several tracks). Touch them to mute/unmute the target channels. Can't remember how slow the clock divider in Cells will go but you could also set up a sequence running very slowly to automatically trigger those mutes. Might require the slowest clock division+empty cells to space them out.

• Hmm good idea! I’ll give it a go.

• edited June 2018

@j_liljedahl has stated previously that he has plans to develop a MIDI-mappable channel insert that would count-in the mute/unmute at the start of the next bar. This would be immensely helpful for the use case you've presented.

• You can also do it with Rozeta LFO. Set the mute to listen to CC, select square wave lfo with tempo linked rate.

If you rather set the LFO to S&H then you can get generative style muting. I believe the threshold for on/off muting is CC value equal to 64(?). So if you set the (min, max) to (50, 66) then it will only seldom mute. If you set (min, max) to (60, 80) then the S&H value will often be set to muting. The rate of the lfo would determine how often this value changes.

• Yes Start stop channels a la Ableton would be very sweet...

• Neat! I’ll have to try this too!! > @bleep said:

You can also do it with Rozeta LFO. Set the mute to listen to CC, select square wave lfo with tempo linked rate.

If you rather set the LFO to S&H then you can get generative style muting. I believe the threshold for on/off muting is CC value equal to 64(?). So if you set the (min, max) to (50, 66) then it will only seldom mute. If you set (min, max) to (60, 80) then the S&H value will often be set to muting. The rate of the lfo would determine how often this value changes.

• I couldn't figure out how to make cells work in this scenario. But I never really "got" cells in the first place.
    I got LFO working. It's good for random or semi-random triggering.
    Would a midi sequencer such as Quantum or Xequence work for this purpose?
    Thanks

• wimwim
    edited June 2018

Anything that can send a midi note or cc will work. I find notes easier to work with than cc’s. I usually pick channel 16 for controls such as this. Then you just go to the midi control settings in AUM for that channel and set or midi learn the note. It can work with a keyboard controller, AUM’s built-in keyboard, something like Rozeta cells or Bass Line, or an external sequencer. Anything that can be made to send the note / channel that you decide should toggle mute on/off.

If you just want to avoid scrolling, the simplest way is to use AUM’s keyboard.

• @bleep said:
    You can also do it with Rozeta LFO. Set the mute to listen to CC, select square wave lfo with tempo linked rate.

This sounds awesome but beyond my skill level haha might have to see if I can finger that out

• @Antkn33 said:
    I couldn't figure out how to make cells work in this scenario. But I never really "got" cells in the first place.
    I got LFO working. It's good for random or semi-random triggering.
    Would a midi sequencer such as Quantum or Xequence work for this purpose?
    Thanks

You have to go into RECORD mode in Cells. Then capture to each step whatever MIDI note(s) you mapped the mute(s) to. Since it’s slowest clock division is 2 bars, you’ll probably need to also insert several rests. You can do that while recording via the empty/rest button on the far right. So, maybe cell 1 has the note to toggle the mute, then 3 rest steps then another note to toggle the mute again, then three rest steps... One cool thing to note about Cells that might not be obvious is that you can also capture chords. With that, you could have a step(cell) trigger mute on one channel and unmute on another. Or, say, 5 note chords to do a bunch at once.

And yes, Quantum or X would also work for this. The first big benefit of either over the Rozeta sequencers is the ability to run them much much slower. With Xequence you can just separate out the notes on the timeline to set the speed. With Quantum you have two options; you can set the clock division all the way down to 16 bars iirc or, amazingly to me, set the clock division per step. That opens up a ton of possibilities, timing wise. Of course, the drawback of both vs Rozeta is that they aren’t AU MIDI sequencers and can’t be easily recalled with your AUM session.

• Wow thanks very helpful!

• Hmmm... I loaded cells and Ruismaker in AUM. I have the Ruismaker channel set to mute for midi channel 1, note 60.
    I have cells as a midi source for ruismaker. When I record C3 (that should be midi note 60) in a cell it doesn't mute ruismaker. I also tried it using the built-in keyboard with the same results.
    Am I missing something?
    Thanks

• Go to MiDI routing and set cells as the source for MIDI CTRL.

• Actually, I think it was that the AUM keyboard is labeled C3 but when I used MIDI Monitor, it showed C2 being played. When I switched the trigger to be the key on the keyboard labeled C4, it worked.... confusing af.

• That's weird indeed. I just did this yesterday and I'm pretty sure C3 on the AUM keyboard is 60. In the Cells settings is the sequence transposed by chance? Doesn't matter I guess so long as you got it working.