Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Axon 2

Comments

• Update is out.

• Ooh, nice to have the midi out working now. Thank you @Chris_Randall!

• Can’t seem to get it to send out at preset obviously missing something ?

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Can’t seem to get it to send out at preset obviously missing something ?

So you are trying to send from Axon to Ruis? Go into Ruis and select Axon as midi source. Then change the Axon notes to the ones Ruis receives as midi.

• edited January 2019

@Jumpercollins said:

I see you have some channels muted. In Chris Randall's tweet he mentioned that the channel faders control velocity, and mute stops them from sending MIDI data.

Edit: instrument faders, channel faders, whatever. You know what I mean

• @gusgranite said:

@Jumpercollins said:

So you are trying to send from Axon to Ruis? Go into Ruis and select Axon as midi source. Then change the Axon notes to the ones Ruis receives as midi.

@gusgranite Thanks for getting back.
    When you say change the Axon notes to the ones Ruismaker recieves as midi is that something I need to do in Axon or Ruismaker? Got it working with Vantanator just midi connect and it plays unlike Ruismaker?

• edited January 2019

@Jumpercollins said:

@gusgranite said:

@Jumpercollins said:

When you say change the Axon notes to the ones Ruismaker recieves as midi is that something I need to do in Axon or Ruismaker? Got it working with Vantanator just midi connect and it plays unlike Ruismaker?

Did you try unmuting? (See post above yours). Don't mean to pester you, just trying to help.

And you would have to change the notes in axon, not ruismaker. You may want to try just using the Ruismaker default settings, and not the Axon template, because then the MIDI is just black keys from like C#2 to E#3 or thereabouts.

• @oat_phipps said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@gusgranite said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Did you try unmuting? (See post above yours). Don't mean to pester you, just trying to help.

And you would have to change the notes in axon, not ruismaker. You may want to try just using the Ruismaker default settings, because then the MIDI is just black keys from like C#2 to E#3 or thereabouts.

Ok cheers will keep persisting I have mute off in Axon 2

• edited January 2019

@Jumpercollins said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@gusgranite said:

@Jumpercollins said:

And you would have to change the notes in axon, not ruismaker. You may want to try just using the Ruismaker default settings, because then the MIDI is just black keys from like C#2 to E#3 or thereabouts.

Still no joy hopefully Sir Doug at @thesoundtestroom will do a instructional video ?

• @Jumpercollins said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@gusgranite said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Still no joy hopefully Sir Doug at @thesoundtestroom will do a instructional video ?

For what it's worth, I just tried to trigger Ruismaker classic and couldn't get it to work either.

• @oat_phipps said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@gusgranite said:

@Jumpercollins said:

For what it's worth, I just tried to trigger Ruismaker classic and couldn't get it to work either.

So not just me then I wonder if it's the AUM update !

• I use it to sequence synths plugins with pads loaded. Really cool beans, but I could get it to work in AUM to sequence Ruismaker... sort of :)
    I had to setup all the notes correctly to all black keys starting with C#3, D#3, F#3 and so forth, but somehow not all got triggerd.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@gusgranite said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Nor me - just triggering one drum.

• _ki_ki
    edited January 2019

I justed tested Axon 2 Midi to Ruismaker in AUM.

• Setup Ruismaker to receive from Axon 2 select a drumset with destinct sounds
    • Then in Axon 2 i choose a busy preset firing all nodes (Isometric Cube Beat)
    • Bring down the main mixer so that you can hear Ruismaker
    • Now for each node, select a ‚black #‘ pitch from C2# to F3# by swipeing the pitch knob
    • For better control you can temporary set the active Axon channel you want to tune to Solo in the Axon2 mixer - then you only hear the current node beeing played.

I got all 7 nodes to send notes, but i would not use node 0 as it is firing all 16 without rythm.
    Saving/Reloading this AUM session worked without problems.

Axon still seems to have a bug in its internal preset system - sometimes i get crashes as soon as i press the save button in the user peset folder - probably should file a bug report.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@gusgranite said:

@Jumpercollins said:

I was using apeMatrix so no

• Working fine here in apeMatrix. You have to set the pitch for each dial to a note that Ruismaker is mapped to.

• And for some added fun (especially if you have the awesome Cality AU beta to introduce more probability randomness)... all driven by Axon 2

• @_ki said:

• Now for each node, select a ‚black #‘ pitch from C2# to F3# by swipeing the pitch knob
    • For better control you can temporary set the active Axon channel you want to tune to Solo in the Axon2 mixer - then you only hear the current node beeing played.

I got all 7 nodes to send notes, but i would not use node 0 as it is firing all 16 without rythm.

Axon still seems to have a bug in its internal preset system - sometimes i get crashes as soon as i press the save button in the user peset folder - probably should file a bug report.

Thanks for the explanation, but I still can't get this to work, I just get one drum triggered in RM, and that pitch dial is a nightmare.

I think I'll leave this until they come up with a template or summat.

• edited January 2019

@MonzoPro said:

@_ki said:

Thanks for the explanation, but I still can't get this to work, I just get one drum triggered in RM, and that pitch dial is a nightmare.

I bet you’re down in the C#-2 notes rather than the C#2 notes a few octaves up?

But yes, it is fiddly so save an init preset once you’ve got it setup.

• edited January 2019

• edited January 2019

@gusgranite said:

@MonzoPro said:

@_ki said:

I’m on a lunch break so here’s the AUM preset. Axon INIT preset mapped to Ruis and Ruis FM.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7gkz38mdqo2355s/INIT AXON RUISMAKER.aumproj?dl=0

• @gusgranite said:

@gusgranite said:

@MonzoPro said:

@_ki said:

I’m on a lunch break so here’s the AUM preset. Axon INIT preset mapped to Ruis and Ruis FM.

Ah lovely, thanks Gus :smile:

• Thanks a lot for posting the AUM preset, works :)

I meant the C#2 - F#3 shown at the pitch knob of Axon, not the note names shown in a midi monitor - btw, your setup also uses these pitches :)

• @_ki said:
    Thanks a lot for posting the AUM preset, works :)

I meant the C#2 - F#3 shown at the pitch knob of Axon, not the note names shown in a midi monitor - btw, your setup also uses these pitches :)

Sorry, I was replying to @MonzoPro as he wasn’t getting any sound.

• Here’s a working AudioBus preset. One of the nice things in AudioBus is you don’t have to load Axon 2 into an audio slot, so you don’t need to block the onboard sounds. (BTW, the volume sliders set the midi note velocity.)

Audiobus preset 'Taboo Point': http://preset.audiob.us/nefsXijIiQXpaJP

• @wim said:
    Here’s a working AudioBus preset. One of the nice things in AudioBus is you don’t have to load Axon 2 into an audio slot, so you don’t need to block the onboard sounds. (BTW, the volume sliders set the midi note velocity.)

Audiobus preset 'Taboo Point': http://preset.audiob.us/nefsXijIiQXpaJP

@gusgranite said:

@_ki said:
    Thanks a lot for posting the AUM preset, works :)

Sorry, I was replying to @MonzoPro as he wasn’t getting any sound.

Thanks both, I’m a bit lost in a boozy Friday night wine/Nanostudio haze but I’ll check these out in the morrer.

• Keep in mind that notes is notes... This is wayyy cool as a regular “melodic” sequencer as well... I recommend running through Bram’s scaler to quantize pitches.

• I like blending in and automating the parameters of the Axon synth engine as well as midi.

• _ki_ki
    edited January 2019

@gusgranite said:
    I like blending in and automating the parameters of the Axon synth engine as well as midi.

I automated the Axon output level using RozetaLFO to bring in the additional tones but have‘t yet tried to also a automate Axons synth engine for even more variations - nice idea.

@wim Thanks for the AB3 preset, had a nice play around.

I changed some of the neuron nodes, selected another drum preset and to follow @MonkeyDrummer s idea, i added a second Axon instance where only some of the neurons send out midi and the other are kind of used as ‚hidden layers‘ that trigger the note generating neurons. This is send into a Zeeon instance running one of the AB Forums presets (prupose savvy hand held) and really nice generative

Audiobus preset 'Talented Seeder': http://preset.audiob.us/IBxLEBmHXJYkr9R

I also found out that the gate-length of the send midi notes depend on the release time of the amp env in the Axons synth

• @gusgranite said:

@gusgranite said:

@MonzoPro said:

@_ki said:

@gusgranite Thanks for the preset tried it still no sound in AUM on hitting the play button.

I tried the AB3 presets loaded and the both work so still thinking it could be AUM update at fault on my iPad 9.7