Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Piano Poll - part 2 (with new samples)

Comments

• In the Football (Soccer) World Cup series, after the Groups plays, there comes the Knock-Out plays.

In this, the best member of each group is pitted against the second best of another group.

This tries to make sure that every „best“ is realy the best, compared to some other „second“.

• tjatja
    edited July 2018

Group Plays:

Group A:
    Piano 22: 8 votes
    Piano 05: 6 votes

Group B:
    Piano 08: 6 votes
    Piano 25: 5 votes

Group C:
    Piano 31: 9 votes
    Piano 28: 5 votes

Group D :
    Piano 40: 6 votes
    Piano 19: 5 votes

Quarter Finals:

Piano 22 vs Piano 28, Winner: 22

Piano 08 vs Piano 19, Winner: 19

Piano 31 vs Piano 05, Winner: 31

Piano 40 vs Piano 25, Winner: 40

Semi Finals:

Piano 22 vs Piano 31

Piano 19 vs Piano 40

Finale:

Piano 31 vs Piano 19

Third Place:

Piano 22 vs Piano 40

Winner:

Piano 31

• tjatja
    edited July 2018

Updated after Group D

Preparing the finals tomorrow

• Third Quarter Final:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/27125/piano-world-cup-quarter-finals-3

Live in 10 to 12 hours.

Good Night :)

• Updated information about the finals above ...

• tjatja
    edited July 2018

I changed this for the Semi Finals:

Piano 22 vs Piano 31

Piano 19 vs Piano 40

• tjatja
    edited July 2018

So, the free Salamander as contained in Auria Pro won this and BeatHawk Acoustic Grand reached second place.

Colossus and Ravenscroft are at place 3, so far none of them won over the other.

All four of them very equal in quality.

Let’s see some statistics

• tjatja
    edited July 2018

• tjatja
    edited July 2018

• tjatja
    edited July 2018

• Thanks for showing us all that @tja. I hope there will be a new post with some of that info and a summation of what was learned. Meanwhile I think I am suffering from post piano depression!

• Yes, I will later post more statistics ;)

• If you didn't have any of these top 4 pianos it would cost:

$50 to get a free Salamander contained in Auria Pro
    $20 to get BeatHawk ($10) and the Acoustic Grand IAP ($10)
    $56 to get the Colossus Concert Grand
    $36 for Ravenscroft 275 (they also are the creators of the Beathawk product)

NOTE: The Colossus Concert Grand piano consumes IOS and makes a buggy AU or IAA.
    So don't buy it for the AU feature. It's amazing for solo piano but crashes Auria and Cubasis as an AU instrument.

For the most broad range of use cases the RC 275 is my go to instrument. And I got it on a 50% off sale. Beathawk also just came off a sale period.

The Ivory Piano in Korg Module is currently on sale for Module at $20 and Ivory IAP for $15.

The Korg Module Package is the best re-creation of the hardware Keyboard Workstation Products at 10% of the cost of the hardware. All the classic categories standard and IAP's for even better Strings, Rhodes, Wurly, Triton, Mellotron, Classic Synths, Organs and Ivory.

• I believe you can get thr Salamander with bs-16i ($7).
    @McDtracy, would you inform us of the type of keyboard controller that can take advantage of multiple velocity layers like in Salamander?

• @LinearLineman said:
    I believe you can get thr Salamander with bs-16i ($7).
    @McDtracy, would you inform us of the type of keyboard controller that can take advantage of multiple velocity layers like in Salamander?

bs-16i cannot stream from disk, it requires RAM.
    And even the optimized (smaller) version from the website i mentioed, is difficult to get running!

There is an even smaller version of the Salamander on that page, but i am not sure how it compares.

We can later make such a comparision :smile:

• @tja could you explain "streaming from disk"? How much RAM is required?

• tjatja
    edited July 2018

@LinearLineman said:
    @tja could you explain "streaming from disk"? How much RAM is required?

Now, without disk streaming, the App needs to load the complete sample library into RAM.

The optimized Salamander is about 600 MB, the original about 1GB, IIRC.

Both are too large for use in a AU, i think and i even have problems with using it in bs-16i as IAA.

This may be better on a 4GB device, but mine only has 2 GB

• tjatja
    edited July 2018

The original:

https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts/3

In 44/16 (1.1 GB) or in 48/24 (1.8 GB)
    Not sure, which one was included in Auria Pro - i suppose, the 44/16 version.

Some details:
    https://archive.org/details/SalamanderGrandPianoV3

And the optimized versions:

https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/

592, 237, or 157 MB

• @LinearLineman said:
    I believe you can get thr Salamander with bs-16i ($7).

I'll chime in and say that you really need a weighted-action keyboard to get the best out of Salamander. I'm using a Kawai MP digital piano.

• @tja said:

@LinearLineman said:
    @tja could you explain "streaming from disk"? How much RAM is required?

Now, without disk streaming, the App needs to load the complete sample library into RAM.

The optimized Salamander is about 600 MB, the original about 1GB, IIRC.

Both are too large for use in a AU, i think and i even have problems with using it in bs-16i as IAA.

This may be better on a 4GB device, but mine only has 2 GB

Interesting that I can load all my AUv3s in a GB session without any issues.

• Bs-16i (hosting Yahama C5 15 layer sf2)
    • Beathawk Acoustic Grand IAP
    • Addictive Pro
    • FM Essentials
    • Moog Model D
    • Zeeon

iPad 2017, 11.2.

• I have been wrestling with these issues for a few months which is one of the reasons I have bought so many Apps and MIDI controllers to do this research.

Here's the best evaluation criteria:

Find someone that has spent years mastering the piano keyboard... has studied with masters of the craft and demonstrated remarkable skills (recordings of performances on real pianos help with the selection criteria).

Put this individual in front of the best controller you can find (Fatar Hammer Action for example in the StudioLogic).

They will tell you which Apps create the realism of plating an actual piano.

There's a whole Forum dedicated to this effort with a shift of focus to hardware-based solutions called the Digital Piano Forum. Then there' another dedicated to Keyboard Players called the Keyboard Forum.

Here we shift focus to the best App... the best keyboardist in our midst is the @LinearLineMan. 5 Albums of supremely complex piano playing art in NewArtists.com.
    I bought one and damn... this guy mastered the instrument to a degree that's amazing.

His input: Ravenscoft 275 makes him play into the deep hours of the morning on a pretty sub-standard controller (the only one at hand on vacation) but it still gives the impression of the act of deep piano soloing.

MIDI velocity just sends along a 0-127 value with every note recorded from inaudible to as loud as you should get before the power amp clips the wave form off with a flat line... flat lines are zero speaker movements and send current through the speaker without doing any work and they ruin speakers. I digress.

We can analyze these products by letting listeners rank them, by letting players evaluate their illusion of acoustic perfection or by digging into the technology for micro-second fidelity to what a fine microphone detects.

I believe trusting the player to report hist findings saves a lot of time.Imagine playing a piano that sound good until the drums and bass kicked in and the legs fell off. That's a bad piano for sure. Colossus as an AU acts like that... I don't recommend it for combo performances.

Salamander was the best recording a guy could make in 2010. He published it for open source Linux musicians to use in the Open Source Linux Sampler in 2010. In the Windows world of that time the hot product of the time was the GigaSampler. It performed Disk Streaming on Windows and Mac and the sample size was "Giga-bytes" of wave forms.

A Salamander Sample set weighs in around 2GB in the 48Khz 24-bit version. It's less for 44Khz 16-bit version that Auria Pro includes for free.

Auria Pro has a sampler included called Lyra that can "Disk Stream" SF2, SFZ and ESX sample sets. The other major DAWS do not have this so it's hard to add some of these public domain sample sets.

Salamander is a recording of a Yamaha C5 piano. There is an ESX recording of a Fazioli out there... I'm going to look for that as my next piano research project. I love the Colossus because it's one of those amazing German models (Bechstein maybe?). Yamaha's are too bright for my taste. They introduce listener fatigue to the player earlier than the gentler toned germans... for budgetary reasons I bought a Petrof to get that sound for less than $50,000 new. That piano was like a warm blanket on a cold night. Again, I digress.

For get the engineering details... trust a solid human sensor to advise you. And insure the legs don't fall off with your other requirements.

Off to look into ESX options... Fazioli where are you?