Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best drum machines for odd time signatures?

I’m having a terrible time programming 5/4 in Patterning. (As awesome as Patterning is).

My current approach is 30 steps of 16tr notes, because I can get quarter, eighths, and triplets.

However, the timing is off, because I can’t specify 5 beat measures in Patterning.

Also, do I have any hope of getting link working with 5/4? (Separate topic?) @brambos Perforator actually works great with link, because of how it implements steps. 30 16tr’s work great!

Cc @Daveypoo help!

Comments

• DrumPerfect Pro does this very well. Section 2.5 of the manual: http://www.drumperfect.nl/drumperfect_manual_v2.pdf

• iSpark as well.

• imo patterning is the best drum machine for odd signatures and by far the best for evolving/polyrhythmic rhythms. I haven't tried every last drum machine for ios, but I've tried most of them and patterning is my absolute favorite.

Keep in mind that each drum/channel can have its own set of divisions. so rather than getting fancy right off the bat, try to keep it simple at first (30 steps of 16th triplets will align with a 5/4 rhythm, but the grid division is likely throwing you off)

Suggestion: designate one drum channel, say channel 8 - with a clave or woodblock sample, as the metronome. Set this to 5 beats of quarter notes with a trigger on the 1. Now you have a timekeeper in 5/4, making it easier to keep track of where you are when programming the other channels.

Now you can go wild by setting the other channels to divisions of 5 (or if you want to do polyrhythms, then divisions of say 4 or 7 or 11) .. and of course you can drop the metronome once you've got your beat down and replace it with something else.

• DrumPerfect Pro.

• I agree though, the automatic beat divisions of 4 can be frustrating. I think Patterning 2 will address this with the addition of sub-divisions of each step :smiley:

• @palm said:

I’m already with you on the polyrhythmic setup. Great tip on the metronome.

I agree though, the automatic beat divisions of 4 can be frustrating. I think Patterning 2 will address this with the addition of sub-divisions of each step :smiley:

This! Too bad my deadline is two weeks. :-)

Also, this setup isn’t compatible with Link, making it difficult to sync with other apps. I’m a SuperLoop composer.

@palm said:

(30 steps of 16th triplets will align with a 5/4 rhythm, but the grid division is likely throwing you off)

I wouldn’t have composed it that way, but it’s what this half-finished piece requires. I need to get triplets and 1/8 notes on the same ring. (6 subdivisions per beat is the smallest number divisible by 2 and 3).

I could use two different tracks with the same sample, and set the parameters.

Regardless, I guess I will just end up exporting the audio earlier than I would, and throwing the audio into an AUM file player track.

Venturing into Drum Perfect Pro. I have an option of keeping it straightforward, or venturing off into the world of polyrhythms. I was actually inspired to break out different Drummer and see if I could achieve 5/4 after @Daveypoo mentioned it in his recent video. Just 5 sine waves, right?

I’m also thinking rozeta sequencers might be worth a look, especially Euclidean stuff.

Ps. Did I mention 4/5 expressed as 30 16tr notes in Perforator is super fun? :-)

• For various time signatures I used to always use Patterning, but I just discovered SeekBeats and it’s also really good for different time signatures. I have no problem using Ableton Link with any of them. I think I’m always hosting all this in AUM. I mostly do 7 or 4+5 for the number of beats per measure. I don’t use triplet steps though. You can get the Rozeta stuff to play in various time signatures too, but it’s really annoying as after 16 steps it jumps to even numbered steps, so you have to string several smaller sections together.

• Believe it or not, DM1 has a pretty wide range of time signatures, and a ton of new downloadable kits.

• edited May 2018

I can easily program odd time signatures with all the Lumbeat apps that i own (Funk Drummer, Soft Drummer). I believe the same should apply to Future Drummer if electronic sounds are what you're after.

• Patterning 2. Atleast that seems to be one of the new features that's being added according to the website.

• So, what about Different Drummer?

• @johnfromberkeley said:

I’m also thinking rozeta sequencers might be worth a look, especially Euclidean stuff.

Does Rozeta do Euclidean? I haven't come across it.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

Does Rozeta do Euclidean? I haven't come across it.

Rozeta Rhythm is the Euclidean drum sequencer (pretty similar to the Ruismaker sequencers).

• can Drum Session do 7/8 or odd time ?

• I've not had much luck here. I've managed to emulate a 6/8 feel in Funk and Soft Drummers but they were clumsy. Obviously DPP would do it but that may be overkill... I would think that iSpark could do this also but I haven't tried.

Not sure. Rozeta Rhythm may be the simplest way but depending on the host that may get confusing as well.

I'll have to muck about this evening and see if I can come up with something

• @johnfromberkeley here I’m doing what you wanted with SeekBeats all synced up with Ableton Link no problem to AUM (with Rozeta) and ReSlice (as IAA). I could not get Patterning in sync, the down beat on beat 1 was off. I just joined Audiobus last weekend, so hopefully this posts successfully, apparently I can’t put a video clip here.

• @DMan said:
    @johnfromberkeley here I’m doing what you wanted with SeekBeats all synced up with Ableton Link no problem to AUM (with Rozeta) and ReSlice (as IAA).

Thanks @DMan. I have to use samples, but this may help me compose.

• Mid-east Drummer has some amazing ones, but of course not drumset oriented in terms of tone.

• edited May 2018

@johnfromberkeley damn I’ve been using Patterning for over a year and discovered today that yes we can set the beats per measure and then it will link up perfectly with Ableton Link apps also set to 5 beats per measure. Click here for this menu, why wouldn’t they put this by tempo? I’ve just programmed time signature by step # this whole time!

• I composed a song in 5/4 Beatmaker 3 bu I didn’t try to sync it to anything

• @DMan said:
    @johnfromberkeley damn I’ve been using Patterning for over a year and discovered today that yes we can set the beats per measure and then it will link up perfectly with Ableton Link apps also set to 5 beats per measure. Click here for this menu, why wouldn’t they put this by tempo? I’ve just programmed time signature by step # this whole time!

Wow, thanks for the tip. Can't believe it's been hiding there all along...

• @DMan said:

Wow, thanks for the tip. Can't believe it's been hiding there all along...

• @DMan said:

OMG OMG OMG

• I used iSpark. Worked great.

• edited October 2021

Time Sig for Patterning project is in Files page , if not using timeline .
    I also use Midi Link Sync app for odd time sigs with Link as it lets you specify number of beats for bar , & other Link(ed) apps seem to play better with this app "in the chain "