Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I can find no way of getting content from Gadget into Auria

Comments

• Yeah, but, as I mentioned, once I’m on the Mac I’m not going back. For example, this evening I laid down one of the songs I’m working on as a set of audio tracks into LPX, for surround placement. Let’s see anything on the iPad let me do that as well as Logic Pro X can.

• tbh I wouldn't go back either... ;)

• @wim said:
    I don’t take it as hostile, he’s just frustrated at the absurdity of it, which I get. Korg can’t be bothered to support core technologies until ridiculously long after they’re available. Very annoying.

I have a fast internet connection, but I find that the exercise of exporting to Dropbox is way more time consuming than just doing each track one by one into AudioShare.

I agree, they should have Files app support, but at the moment, just gotta use whats there, for me, exporting to Audioshare works too, but you're limited to 16 bit files, Dropbox and Ableton export gives you a lot more options, either 16 or 24 bit, and from 44.1k up to 96k.

• I can understand the 'want' to have everything work fluidly on the iPad, but many of the apps simply haven't been designed to work that way.

Still not sure what the aversion would be to setting up a new (free) gmail address, and a new (free) Dropbox account and simply using that.

• Dropbox is to iPad the same that Gadget is to iPad.

One external app.

So, if you refuse to use some “external” service, you will refuse use Gadget as well.

• @rad3d said:
    I can understand the 'want' to have everything work fluidly on the iPad, but many of the apps simply haven't been designed to work that way.

Still not sure what the aversion would be to setting up a new (free) gmail address, and a new (free) Dropbox account and simply using that.

Ah, that’ll be because of the two Macs sitting beside me.

• @OnfraySin said:
    Dropbox is to iPad the same that Gadget is to iPad.

One external app.

So, if you refuse to use some “external” service, you will refuse use Gadget as well.

Bullshit. I’m not refusing to use Gadget, where’d you get that idiotic notion? I’ve given no such indication.

I’ve got Gadget on iOS and macOS, and frankly the easiest path that Korg are making available is to start work on iOS and finish it in macOS. Once the work is on the Mac, everything’s far easier.

• All this would be a 'non issue' if Korg had implemented standard iOS features for sharing & importing files many years ago starting with support for 'Open In...' which would have made it super easy to just select another app as the destination or send files to Gadget from any other app supporting 'Open In...'.

They could start with adding the Files.app support that requires practically zero coding. It's a darn check box in the developer tools when iOS11 is selected as the target...

But hey, maybe they don't want to expose the super messy file-structure inside their Documents folder or something?!

• You’re right, @u0421793: there’s simply no excuse for Korg not allowing/adding file sharing or a straightforward stem sharing to Gadget. If I were in your situation, I’d also go the Mac route.

Unfortunately that, contrary to some well know developers, sometimes from big companies, Korg has declined to establish a presence either here or any other iOS music-related forums. Shame on them. That’s why I don’t see myself buying or recommending Gadget in the foreseeable future.

• It really depends on your needs. I've been using Gadget for years, and rarely need it to do anything it can't. Fortunately, I haven't required their ear or assistance. I guess they designed it for people like me.

I don't know why Korg makes the decisions it does, but they've been pretty consistent in remaining in their world, taking their sweet time to evolve the app to where it is today. Although with the advanced MIDI it has some inter-app capability, to me it's always been just a standalone iOS sketchpad app that can export to desktop. It can also make a decent mix for iOS-only producers. I'm not sure why anyone would have bought it if that primary application doesn't cut it for their workflow.

• Ah, that’ll be because of the two Macs sitting beside me.

Sorry - hadn't caught up on a few of your later comments.

• It probably isn’t a Gadget deficiency (well, it is, but seeing as Gadget work can be opened on the Mac, it is overcome simply by leaving iOS behind in the dust). The deficiency is more likely Auria. How on earth does Auria import anything that isn’t already in the Auria folder? Or is it easy to just manually move things into that from outside?

• @u0421793 said:
    It probably isn’t a Gadget deficiency (well, it is, but seeing as Gadget work can be opened on the Mac, it is overcome simply by leaving iOS behind in the dust). The deficiency is more likely Auria. How on earth does Auria import anything that isn’t already in the Auria folder? Or is it easy to just manually move things into that from outside?

The Files app is the easiest way to get stuff into Auria.

• @u0421793 said:
    It probably isn’t a Gadget deficiency (well, it is, but seeing as Gadget work can be opened on the Mac, it is overcome simply by leaving iOS behind in the dust). The deficiency is more likely Auria. How on earth does Auria import anything that isn’t already in the Auria folder? Or is it easy to just manually move things into that from outside?

This is where I like working with Dropbox. I can export my tracks from Gadget out to Dropbox in one move, then import them directly from Dropbox into Auria in one move. On top of that, everything's backed up not only in the Cloud, but synced to the hard drive on my Mac, as well.

• edited May 2018

@u0421793 said:
    How on earth does Auria import anything that isn’t already in the Auria folder? Or is it easy to just manually move things into that from outside?

The Auria folder is the destination for all apps using 'the send to...' command. The format of sent data may vary - Audioshare isn't restricted and sends in 96k 24bit if that's the file content.
    Auria itself uses only Dropbox as an external source.

This applies to pre-File App data transfer.
    Can't comment on the latter because I don't have it, but Gadget neither supports this app nor 'Send to' anyway atm.

• @richardyot said:

@u0421793 said:

The Files app is the easiest way to get stuff into Auria.

@Telefunky said:

@u0421793 said:
    How on earth does Auria import anything that isn’t already in the Auria folder? Or is it easy to just manually move things into that from outside?

The Auria folder is the destination for all apps using 'the send to...' command. The format of sent data may vary - Audioshare isn't restricted and sends in 96k 24bit if that's the file content.
    Auria itself uses only Dropbox as an external source.

This applies to pre-File App data transfer.
    Can't comment on the latter because I don't have it, but Gadget neither supports this app nor 'Send to' anyway atm.

Aha, thanks, both.

• AudioCopy ?

• edited May 2018

@u421793
    It looks like Seagate has apps for iOS, for people that have accounts, I imagine they are hooked into the document picker that gets you to Files? But how to go from Gadg to Seagate...

• @Littlewoodg said:
    @u421793
    It looks like Seagate has apps for iOS, for people that have accounts, I imagine they are hooked into the document picker that gets you to Files? But how to go from Gadg to Seagate...

iFiles (the iOS app) is the better way to interact with the Seagate Personal Cloud, via an AFP mount. The Seagate app itself is too limited and basic and dumbed-down, trying to pretend that all your stuff falls into the categories of video and audio and photos that you wish to consume only. The device is quite good and fast enough to use.

In a similar but obverse way, the WD My Cloud app basically never sees the device, as the device is too slow to use. However, the app is technical enough (as is the device) to be able to use it with sanity if your expectations are more than basic level. The main problem I have with the My Cloud is that it is so slow it seems as though it is not responding – you open a folder (even on the Mac) and it seems empty. Minutes later it is still empty. At some point in the future it will populate. Putting things in and getting them out is equally unusable. Feature-wise, though, it is good, and the gigabit ethernet makes it seem as though this shouldn’t happen at all compared with previous generations of WD cloud devices (I had a much older one which was just terrible to use). The WD apps and software were a lot more technically baffling than they are now (they’ve improved excellently in this respect), so they really should be the best choice, it’s just that the hardware is unresponsive.

But yes, iFiles can see into the WD My Cloud and Seagate Personal Cloud if you set them up over an AFP mount, each. iFiles can also see into Dropbox, iCloud, Box, Google drive and a bunch of other similar stuff, and directly into my Macs. It can also see ‘into’ “iTunes Files”, but I can’t see anything in “iTunes Files” except a single ‘untitled’ which can’t be used for anything at all. In theory, if it could see all the iTunes stuff that iTunes on the Mac can see about all the apps that have iTunes shareable apps, it’d be an ideal way of transporting.

• wimwim
    edited May 2018

@u0421793 said:

The deficiency is 100% Gadget. Auria supports all the standards needed to get files into it (AudioShare, open in, files app, Dropbox, audio copy, and even external drives). Korg has chosen to support Dropbox for multiple stem exports, AudioShare for one track at a time, Ableton Live export etc, but not open-in, files app, etc. The choices seem quite arbitrary to me. But it’s not Auria at fault.

• @wim said:

@u0421793 said:

The deficiency is 100% Gadget. Auria supports all the standards needed to get files into it (AudioDhare, open in, files app, Dropbox, audio copy, and even external drives). Korg has chosen to support Dropbox for multiple stem exports, AudioShare for one track at a time, Ableton Live export etc, but not open-in, files app, etc. The choices seem quite arbitrary to me. But it’s not Auria at fault.

Aha, fair enough – thanks

• @wim said:

@u0421793 said:

The deficiency is 100% Gadget. Auria supports all the standards needed to get files into it (AudioShare, open in, files app, Dropbox, audio copy, and even external drives). Korg has chosen to support Dropbox for multiple stem exports, AudioShare for one track at a time, Ableton Live export etc, but not open-in, files app, etc. The choices seem quite arbitrary to me. But it’s not Auria at fault.

Does Korg have a forum? We should apply a little pressure so they change their walled garden policy. Korg is not as powerful as Apple (which can get away with it).

• The Synology NAS boxes work quite well with IOS, OSX, Windoze, Linux and even OS9.
    User friendly setup (for dummies, too), imho the 'better' MacServer.

• @Telefunky said:
    The Synology NAS boxes work quite well with IOS, OSX, Windoze, Linux and even OS9.
    User friendly setup (for dummies, too), imho the 'better' MacServer.

I’m afraid we are hijacking the thread here :p but in what way do the Synology boxes work well with iOS? I have a Synology NAS but I find the DS file app pretty basic and usually revert to “Documents” from Readdle. Is there a way to setup a share on the NAS that is seen directly from iOS? Cheers!

• I just mentioned Synology because the the WD My Cloud solution was described as stunningly unresponsive.
    A Synology NAS is definitely way more expensive (and more ambitous to setup) than other mobile solutions that were mentioned here before.

But it may be worth considering if backup, local document storage and media use are additional points of interest.
    Btw you can quickly setup your own mailserver on the box and thus provide a service for those 'outdated' apps that have mail as their main (or only) way of communication.

I prefer the DS Cloud app by Synology, which uses less confirmations for transfers and probably will autosync between directories/devices.
    That part is a bit tricky (for obvious reasons) with MacOS-9 ... as my main interest is data exchange with Pro Tools TDM.
    Admittedly I hardly could believe that Synology supports the old AFP stuff.

• @wim said:

Open in, to import in auria? Doesn‘t get it - what do I have to do for that?

• @Telefunky said:
    I just mentioned Synology because the the WD My Cloud solution was described as stunningly unresponsive.
    A Synology NAS is definitely way more expensive (and more ambitous to setup) than other mobile solutions that were mentioned here before.

I know someone with one, he’s pleased with it and I see that it is good, too.

Admittedly I hardly could believe that Synology supports the old AFP stuff.

It’s in the Linux kernel, so isn’t any extra work – ironically, since Apple have now dropped it.

• wimwim
    edited June 2018

@Satie said:

@wim said:

Open in, to import in auria? Doesn‘t get it - what do I have to do for that?

Hummm... seems not to be working anymore. Or maybe my memory is off. Looks like the files app is the easiest way to go to avoid Dropbox.

• Just copy the contents of your dropbox into your other free existing cloud, then erase your dropbox.

Now you are free to Export to dropbox

Mind. Blown.

• @vpich said:
    Just copy the contents of your dropbox into your other free existing cloud, then erase your dropbox.

Now you are free to Export to dropbox

Mind. Blown.

Some people don’t want to use Dropbox or another cloud service just to transfer from one app to another on the same device. Now you’re talking about using two. Mind. Blown. B)