Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

YET ANOTHER STUDIOMUX QUESTION (IN THIS EPISODE... USING FX)

Studiomux 4.1.6
Ableton Live 10

So since SMX 4.1.6 linking iOS synths to Live has been butter. No unexpected issues. However, for the life of me I cannot get FX to work.

I have a device on Chan1 on live with it connected to a "Studiomux effect" Plug in. In SMX, on iOS, I have DubFilter AU loaded on Chan2. Back in Live, the "receiving from" and "sending to" are both pointing to the corresponding Chan2 in SMX.

When I hit a note on my controller, here's what happens...
"Replace input Samples" switched unchecked : I hear dry sound, no fx, midi and audio meters animate on Live and SMX on iOS
"Replace input Samples" switched checked : Nothing audible, Live midi meter moves and the SMX plug-in audio meter moves, but no audio chan audio meter, in SMX, Audio meters animate.

What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• edited May 2018

OK.....here goes nothing! I must warn you that so far i have failed miserably to help anyone with Studiomux problems so far :D ......not from want of trying tho! Here goes.........( your in luck i have dub filter & have just bought the AU IAP so that i can try try & help you......( i was bound to cave in & buy it eventualy anyway ;) )

1) which device do you have on Track (Chan) 1 & is it a midi or audio track ?........ (just so i can recreate your scenario)

• edited May 2018

I have it working here with a vsti on midi track 1 in ableton & also i tried it with a loop on an audio track, & it's working.....

Also, to be clear, I'm not too sure what you mean with the "replace input sample" thing.........

• edited May 2018

Thanks man. Studiomux is such a mind job sometimes...

@Iso said:
    1) which device do you have on Track (Chan) 1 & is it a midi or audio track ?........ (just so i can recreate your scenario)

It was a test project so on track 1 I had an Operator Synth (midi track) and simply put the FX directly after

@Iso said:
    Also, to be clear, I'm not too sure what you mean with the "replace input sample" thing.........

That's the checkbox on the Studiomux "receive from" panel

• Hey there!
    Great screen shots............thanks!
    Will fire it all up, & see if i can replicate it ,& will get back to you with my findings later this eve........i have to go food shopping, so may be an hour or so.......... :)

• Ok just fired it all up exactly the same as yours, and after checking the correct Recieve & Send boxes in the Studiomux Effect VST it worked first time. However from your screen shot, i can see that you have a different version of the VST from mine. You seem to have the old version......it needs to be updated to the latest server from the Zeodebug website. Try that & get back to me.........or if you have already done that, you need to delete the old vst's and install the new ones from the server running on your PC. Hope that makes sense........ :)

• Going shopping now.........will be back in a bit..........

• Woah really!! I'm on an old version? Ok lemme update and try it again. By that time you should be back. I'm also pushing through some last-minute-Friday-afternoon work so I'll be a couple hrs max.

• Back now......got a very nice pineapple!!

Anyway, it just occurred to me that you may not be on a PC, you didn't say. I don't know if the mac vst effect looks the same.
    PC or Mac ? Operating system?

• edited May 2018

This is what they look like on WIN 10

Latest Win Server is : 3.1.2

Latest Mac Server is : 3.1.0b

• Yeah, I'm on the latest mac version.
    Damn... Windows looks sleeker.
    Anyway, I'm on the latest version for mac. The "Replace Input Samples" checkbox is simply to totally eliminate hearing the dry unprocessed signal going in. At least that's what I got from the wonderful user-manual. But it seems like the general setup is the same for both of us.
    I'll mess with some settings some more, hopefully I'll find the issue.

• edited May 2018

Hmmmmmm...........pity, i thought we'd cracked it. Have you tried uninstalling the dll's (or whatever the mac equivalent is ) from your Ableton vst folder, and then re-installing from the Studiomux server? It's possible that when you updated you forgot to do this. The dll's are not automatically overwritten, they have to be deleted manually (if i remember it right ). I think this is what i had to do. You may still be running the old vst's on the new server. Try that & get back to me :) speak soon.......

• @Iso
    Yup, manually deleted and re-installed the .vst/.vst3/.component files (vst/vst3/au files mac equivalent). Also just tried using the VST instead of AU.
    Unfortunately, still no audio.
    I've honestly given up at this point. I'm one of those who use the iPad mainly as an external device and not a DAW replacement. I'm counting my blessings that SMX has worked so well with instruments thus far, especially now with AB3 and the new Ableton Link Sync. If this had worked as well with FX I'd have purchased "Fly Tape" to accomplish some disgustingly wicked ideas I had in mind.

But hey, thanks a lot man. Massive appreciation for the help. Zerodebug do make some really useful software and could be right up there with Brambos... but they need to improve their documentation and support.

• What a drag it won't play nicely for you..........very perplexing.........i hate being stumped by stuff like this. If i were you, I'd be tempted to do a complete uninstall of Studiomux on the mac & iPad , soft re-set the iPad, and then a fresh install of it all again, downloading the server again from the Zerodebug website.........it's possible the server has got corrupted somehow......... if you can get it working it's really worth it...........I will ruminate on it......maybe i haven't thought of something obvious.......maybe even try a different cable if you have one.............As the I Ching says. : Perseverance Furthers! ;)

• This has got me wondering if all the people having problems are all using Mac's. It seems very odd that the vst's on the PC are so different from the Mac. Maybe there is a problem with the Mac sever from the Zerodebug site & that is at the root of all the issues? I have the devs email address somewhere, I'll dig it out & see if i get any response.........

• The guys over at @elasticdrums seemed to have gotten it working on mac. How did they do that?

• Hmmmmmmm................great to see it working, & it's right about the time of last Decembers' update......but also more than a little frustrating, because it dosn't really help you to sort yours out. Something must be not quite right somewhere on yours. I do find occasionally, that i have to open & close the vst on the track for it to initially produce sound......have you tried that? Also re-booting everything, has also helped me out a couple of times although It's has been incredibly stable on this set-up since just before New Year......don't think I've had a single issue,& i use it everyday. If you continue to play around with it, you may just find it sorts itself out, & springs into life. I do vaguely remember tearing my hair out trying to get the fx working when i first started using it a couple of years ago.......and then i did something and it just started working.......... after that it was fine.......sorry that that, doesn't really help you though..........beginning to realize, that trying to troubleshoot Studiomux over the internet is pretty difficult.....too many variables......shame there isn't a mac here i could install it on, and test it for myself.........don't give up yet......keep tinkering............. B)

• Ahh! A lightbulb in my head just went on! I vaguely remember the order i did everything used to make a difference on my old set-up. Try booting Ableton first then the iPad & studiomux & vica versa....try all the different combinations you can think of....one of them might work........... :)

• I try studiomux every couple of months, and every couple of months I end up disappointed because it won't work. I have a PC. Now the issue is that the studiomux+audiobus results in strange noises being triggered on the phone. For example, i made a simple midi out track in my DAW that was midi over wifi (rtpmidi) every half note. Audiobus, as usual, can't see network midi unless you start a synth first that supports it and then it'll show up in the list. Once I got it AB + studiomux going for just one channel with a synth, it triggered just fine, but the audio output was messed up (on the phone - I could see the mixer view bounce with the weird noises).