Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

$329 iPad 2018 Faster than iPad Pro 2nd Gen for Music Production?

edited May 2018 in Other

If you own an iPad Pro 2nd Gen you may have been having crackling issues with the beloved Moog apps and others because of audio sample rates and 120fps graphics. Is any one in a position to do a side by side comparison?

Could it be claimed that the iPad 2018 is a better choice of iOS music production?

Comments

• That´s an interesting question.

But i fear that that this came from the priority change for audio tasks compared to graphic tasks, so affects all devices.

A lower resolution can help, of course.

And you can disable to 120 Hz, which i never understood anyway. Seems totally unneeded, as nearly all computer monitors also feature 60 Hz.

• Try out the different iPads I suggest and choose the one you like most. Benchmarking is an art by itself. You can find lots of threads at lots of sites where people are debating which to compare with which.

• Hah, no chance it is “faster”. It may be preferable if you want almost-as-good performance for a much cheaper price.

The 4gb ram makes it worth going for iPad Pro if your main question is truly “which is better?” For music production.

• I have the 2018 iPad, and a single Model D in AUM may give you the crackling sound. Embrace it like vinyl!

• I hear that Apple will be releasing a new Pro model in June that features some of the technology they developed for the iPhone X

• I have an iPad mini 4 and I never get crackles with model d

• @Hmtx said:
    Hah, no chance it is “faster”. It may be preferable if you want almost-as-good performance for a much cheaper price.

The 4gb ram makes it worth going for iPad Pro if your main question is truly “which is better?” For music production.

The thing is, because of the way apple implemented their graphics, it has created problems for iPad pro owners, such that they are more encumbered by large production projects, in situations where iPad Mini 4 owners don't have those problems. I understand that for someone who already owns a Pro the headline at the top is somewhat difficult to digest. But for anyone in the market for the best device for music, knowing about this subject is paramount.

In the Macworld article above, the claim is that the two are very close. However, they don't even mention doing audio production. Since I can run some apps with no crackle on my Mini 4 with an A8 chip, where people with an iPad Pro 2nd Gen have crackling, I am willing to gamble that the iPad 2018 also out performs the Pro 2nd Gen. But the 2018 iPad runs and A10 fusion chip which ought to be steps beyond the Mini's A8.

In light of this, in light of the notion that speed is the typical benchmark for mathematical processing power (which is at the heart of sound synthesis), I am just curoius if this turns out to be true in practice. I chose a Mini 4 over a Pro because I want something small. If they had made a Pro Mini I would have shelled out for it. Moving into the future I want to follow this story because I don't want to pay twice the price for something that doesn't perform as well for specific tasks where I need it to.

• @kobamoto said:
    I have an iPad mini 4 and I never get crackles with model d

boom!

• I fear that Apple will be releasing a new Pro model in June that features some of the technology they developed for the iPhone X

• I have the iPad 2017 9.7 and it runs Model D like a beast! I recommend looking up Brambos Battery tips thread; there’s a ton of tweaks to be done to ensure max cpu availability :)

@bleep said:
    I have the 2018 iPad, and a single Model D in AUM may give you the crackling sound. Embrace it like vinyl!

• @tja said:
    I fear that Apple will be releasing a new Pro model in June that features some of the technology they developed for the iPhone X

I see what you did there :wink: :wink:

• Hehe ;-)

• I have a 2018 iPad to do some testing. I started AUM as the only App. I loaded a AU instance of Model D. I selected Preset "Lead: Original Mini". I created multiple instances of Model D's until I got sporadic crackling with 4 instances all running off the AUM screen keyboard.

5 instances produced consistent crackling just sliding the 5 AUM tracks from side to side.

Can someone test a 4GB Pro iPad and report here:

1. start AUM as the only App.

2. create tracks in AUM with internal keyboard for input of
      Model D using AU's with Preset "Lead: Original Mini"
      (repeat adding more instances until it crackles). 3 seems clear to me and 4 just has the odd crackle when using AUM's GUI.

• @McDtracy Which buffer setting in AUM?

• It sounds like maybe the 120hz issue is the primary reason 2nd gen pro models are getting audio performance problems . And this can (should?) be disabled easily.

The OP linked article doesn’t address audio production at all, so I would look for other sources on choosing the best iPad.

Personally, I’m very happy with my 2015 12.9 Pro and can do anything I want on it.

• @tja said:
    @McDtracy Which buffer setting in AUM?

^ Key. And was this directly after a reboot? Airplane mode? Some stuff has to be normalized for any sort of comparison to matter.

• Not sure if someone mentioned it already, but there's also the matter of single-core/multi-core performance. Sure, in terms of single core performance the 2018 and the Pro'17 may almost be close, but the Pro eats the regular iPad for breakfast when it comes to multi-core performance. :)

• @brambos said:
    Not sure if someone mentioned it already, but there's also the matter of single-core/multi-core performance. Sure, in terms of single core performance the 2018 and the Pro'17 may almost be close, but the Pro eats the regular iPad for breakfast when it comes to multi-core performance. :)

Just open a random Audulus Patch on a Pro ... you will get into tears.

I will seek an iPad Mini 4 with iOS 10.x

• @tja said:

@brambos said:
    Not sure if someone mentioned it already, but there's also the matter of single-core/multi-core performance. Sure, in terms of single core performance the 2018 and the Pro'17 may almost be close, but the Pro eats the regular iPad for breakfast when it comes to multi-core performance. :)

I have a Pro. I am rarely in tears. In fact I'm very happy with it.

• tjatja
    edited May 2018

@brambos said:

@tja said:

@brambos said:

I have a Pro. I am rarely in tears. In fact I'm very happy with it.

Using Audulus? That was the point ;-) I think, this App perfectly shows the problems with the lower priority for Audio threads on iOS 11 and esp. on the Pros (the newer more problems than the older, as it seems).

• @tja said:
    @McDtracy Which buffer setting in AUM?

Buffer 256
    Sample Rate 44.1 KHz
    High Quality "Off"

I can change these and re-run the testing.

• edited May 2018

2018 iPad may be performing on par (for now) with the previous Pro but 2018 iPad may become slow quicker than the previous Pro over time. Nothing beats the multi-core processing and more memory that the Pro has in the long run for processing-intensive apps. I wish Apple added more memory to their devices so they don't become slow quickly. The paltry memory they offer (after squeezing every drop of performance from native hardware/software) is good only when the device is new.

I wish Apple launches a mini Pro instead of keeping it low profile. mini is a Little Wonder!

• I got a 10.5” Pro to upgrade my original Air 2 last October. Despite the dire warnings of music hangups (which were eventually ‘fixed’ via iOS 11.1 or so), I was impatient for an upgrade and said screw it.

I admit I have no hands-on comparison with the Air 2018, but I’ve had absolutely ZERO of any of the new Pro problems (even before it was ‘fixed’, the crackling issues, etc) that have been cited on here. This has been one smooth sailing iPad for me, and the performance blows away the original Air 2. It’s been a 10/10 product.

And I can’t see any need to ever have more than 4 Minimoogs running at the same time. Unless you’re Vangelis, maybe.

• @McDtracy said:
    I have a 2018 iPad to do some testing. I started AUM as the only App. I loaded a AU instance of Model D. I selected Preset "Lead: Original Mini". I created multiple instances of Model D's until I got sporadic crackling with 4 instances all running off the AUM screen keyboard.

5 instances produced consistent crackling just sliding the 5 AUM tracks from side to side.

Can someone test a 4GB Pro iPad and report here:

1. start AUM as the only App.

2. create tracks in AUM with internal keyboard for input of
      Model D using AU's with Preset "Lead: Original Mini"
      (repeat adding more instances until it crackles). 3 seems clear to me and 4 just has the odd crackle when using AUM's GUI.

I got 5 running with Audiobus forum still open on Safari and a Crossword app running in the background. 6th was a definite no go.

• @futureaztec said:

@kobamoto said:
    I have an iPad mini 4 and I never get crackles with model d

boom!

It might surprise you but I never experience a crack with Moog Model D with an iPad 12,9 inch which I bought this year.

• edited May 2018

I am noticing that some of these posts are not differentiating b/w the Pro first and 2nd gen. It is the 2nd get that appears to be giving people heartache with crackling.

• edited May 2018

@McDtracy said:
    created multiple instances of Model D's until I got sporadic crackling with 4 instances all running off the AUM screen keyboard.

@oat_phipps said: I got 5 running with Audiobus forum still open on Safari and a Crossword app running in the background. 6th was a definite no go.

In this unofficial comparison of Model D things are pretty darn close for something that is, what, double the price?

• edited May 2018

I was thinking about it today. What do you do if you are apple and you are making something and it turns out to be faster than some other build you designed a couple of years ago, just because of timing, dev teams, part price changes etc. If you release something that is faster than something someone just bought a month ago, you will piss them off.

Any company in this situation would have to either wait a year or two release the new technology, or somehow cripple the new device with firmware. Right? Not saying this is the case, but if it was the case what the heck would you do if you were in charge? You have already made the manufacturing orders and the things are coming off the line.

• @tja said:
    That´s an interesting question.

But i fear that that this came from the priority change for audio tasks compared to graphic tasks, so affects all devices.

A lower resolution can help, of course.

And you can disable to 120 Hz, which i never understood anyway. Seems totally unneeded, as nearly all computer monitors also feature 60 Hz.

My TV is 120hz and when LumaFusion 1.7 is released it will allow me to use the TV as a viewing monitor full screen. So for me I edit all my youtube content on the iPad Pro this is an awesome plus is you have the iPad Pro12.9 inch 2

• @futureaztec said:
    I am noticing that some of these posts are not differentiating b/w the Pro first and 2nd gen. It is the 2nd get that appears to be giving people heartache with crackling.

I've the second generation. No crackling here, not with the Model D. Sometimes I do have a crackle with Nave. Same as with other iPads and Nave.