Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

No MPE pitch glide in Cubasis

One of the best things about MPE with the likes of the Seaboard Block is the ability to glide a note up in pitch smoothly for as many octaves as your MPE controller can handle. This can be very expressive. When using AUs, Garageband offers this functionality, as does Auria. However, Cubasis has no native MPE functionally for this glide or the ability to manually alter the amount of pitch bend to reflect MPE correctly (which the likes of standalone Model D or Model 15 offer as an option).

I’m surprised that more hasn’t been made of this on here! On a 2 octave Seaboard Block, I think that notes in Cubasis only ‘glide’ up a single tone if you run your finger all the way from, say, C2 to B3, even in an MPE-ready AU like Noise or Volt! So if you did that in Cubasis, you would end up on a D2 even though your finger would reach B3. In the other DAWs I mentioned earlier, your finishing note would be the correct B3 if you did the same thing. Cubasis would be the ultimate MPE compatible DAW if it utilised the full capabilities of MPE controllers. Is this on the road map for Cubasis’s development?

Comments

• That is weird. It responds normally to the pitch bend on the internal KB controller.
    I just did a 2octave bend on Model D AU.
    I can also do a one octave bend in MicroSonic, and a multi octave bend in MicroLogue.

• @CracklePot said:
    That is weird. It responds normally to the pitch bend on the internal KB controller.
    I just did a 2octave bend on Model D AU.
    I can also do a one octave bend in MicroSonic, and a multi octave bend in MicroLogue.

Not on mine! Is there a setting somewhere in Cubasis that I'm missing?

• edited May 2018

Pitch bend can be set in the interface of Cubasis internal instruments. The synth has it in the Voice section, MicroSonic needs to be in edit mode (hit the circle e button along the bottom). All external apps have their own way, but usually in settings somewhere in their own interface.

• I am curious to know if the MPE works. I only used the internal KB pitch wheel for testing. I don’t have an MPE controller, but if it is broken, then Steinberg should definitely know about it.

• Ah, right - I thought you were using an MPE controller. Misread your post, sorry!

• @Michael_R_Grant said:
    Ah, right - I thought you were using an MPE controller. Misread your post, sorry!

So, is MPE working or not?
    I thought it might since the default pitch bend range is 2 for Cubasis instruments, much like your description of your experience trying with your Seaboard.