Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recommendation on Sequencer/Drum App (IOS)

Thanks for this community.

I am interested in learning more about sequencing. I have a little piano background and like synth/ambient type music. Like influences from Vangelis, Michael Jarre, use to like Deep Forest, Enigma. Mike Oldfield, Kitaro, Steve Roach and such. Sequencer and drums are not my strong suite. Struggle with it for some reason, but would like to learn.

Here is a little demo of what I did, this was done playing live without any mastering:

https://soundcloud.com/alameind/test3/s-4GbG2

I would like to start incorporating some rhythm in my pieces and imagine more soundtrack like or ethnic/ambient etc. Are there any sequencing apps or drum apps on IOS that you can recommend me? Are there also some hardware alternatives you would look at for this sort of thing to be compatible with IOS?

Right now I only own Beathawk and Sunrizer and Noise with a few reverbs.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Comments

• Patterning and mv08

• edited May 2018

I’d say start with a multitrack Digital Audio Sequencer like Cubasis or GarageBand, get used to laying down the keys / pads on linear tracks, then incorporate AUv3 drum plugins on an additional track.

The Noise Drum AU would be ideal here because you would have a virtual blocks interface to tap on in sync with your keys tracks. “Chillwave” could be a nice kit to use

• DrumJam! The guy that worked on it with @sonosaurus did the soundtracks for some of the Bond films, among others

• @realdawei said:
    I’d say start with a multitrack Digital Audio Sequencer like Cubasis or GarageBand, get used to laying down the keys / pads on linear tracks, then incorporate AUv3 drum plugins on an additional track.

The Noise Drum AU would be ideal here because you would have a virtual blocks interface to tap on in sync with your keys tracks. “Chillwave” could be a nice kit to use

Sorry for the confusion. I have cubasis already and used it for this piece. I meant sequencing for drums etc.

• For drum synthesis with a simple yet feature full sequencer check out SeekBeats. Anything with a XOX style sequencer is easy to use and quick, like MV08, except with MV08 you’re limited to 808 sounds (very overrated and tired imo).

Rozeta sequencer suite is a good buy. Use it in AUM or BM3 with ruismaker for simple and fun sequencing.

• Patterning and DM1 both have nice interfaces with sequencers, mixers, effects and lots of drum kits.
    Patterning has cloud kits and DM1 has lots built in.
    Patterning has a cool circular design sequencer with some unique looping features.
    DM1 has the familiar 909 style step sequencer.
    You can sync them to your DAW but I usually just make loops and export them as audio for simplicity.

• @StMichaels said:

@realdawei said:

Sorry for the confusion. I have cubasis already and used it for this piece. I meant sequencing for drums etc.

You can sequence drums directly on the Cubasis timeline via the piano roll. Just need to point it at a drum 'sound' source.

Are you looking for something that has drum beats built in? If so, you might check out Luis Martinez' apps https://itunes.apple.com/us/developer/luis-martinez/id590278231. You can find demos of most of them on youtube. They're great and the included drum beats are generally fantastic. You can edit them as much as you like but you can also just hit play and get on with it! The included sounds can also be triggered drum-by-drum from Cubasis.

His apps generally aim for a 'natural' drum sound. If you're more interested in electronic sounds, +1 to Patterning. Or perhaps Elastic Beats. I feel like Elastic Beats may a little trickier to get into though. Again, plenty of demos of both on the youtubez.

I used to go to (suffer through) CCD at a St. Michael's. :)

• Great track, @StMichaels! If you don’t mind me asking, what’s that main Vangelis-sounding patch? It’s gorgeous!

• edited May 2018

@StMichaels said:

@realdawei said:

Okay do you record to a click? This piece is beautiful as is — though I couldn’t tell if it was synced to a BPM in a sequencer. In many cases drums might need to be.

If you’re using Cubasis I still think the Noise Drums AU would be the best place to start. (Since you already have Noise), plus some of their packs seem like they would blend nicely with the type of music you produce.

• Patterning also as a sample player and combined with the 808 nice.

I also think TON is a cool drum app.

Drum Jam is fun because you can "play" like real drums.

DM1 is also a powerful drum app and more distorted drums DM2 is my fave.

SeekBeats is good for synth drums either more like 808 or even noiser.

MANY MANYMANY OPTIONS

DO you have the samples for drums you want to use?

That may help me recommend

• Don’t forget the drummer in GarageBand

• Paterning
    DrumJam
    Arturia iSpark
    DrumPerfect Pro

• @realdawei said:

@StMichaels said:

@realdawei said:

Okay do you record to a click? This piece is beautiful as is — though I couldn’t tell if it was synced to a BPM in a sequencer. In many cases drums might need to be.

If you’re using Cubasis I still think the Noise Drums AU would be the best place to start. (Since you already have Noise), plus some of their packs seem like they would blend nicely with the type of music you produce.

realdawei - It was not recorded as a click, however I know if I started with a beat I would record with click. What I am really looking for is the drum or rhythm sound to fit soundtrack/ambient - maybe not this particular piece, yet it will be a learning curve for me as for some reason programming rhythms is not one of my strengths. I feel I improvise better, however that has also been part of my downfall not being able to create a full piece and bring rhythms into it.

Thanks all for your recommendations so far - Much appreciated.