Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to get bass sound from guitar? Ifretless? Ampkit? Jamup? Any others?

edited November 2013 in General App Discussion

Hi all, I've been searching on youtube for an answer but can't find it. I'd like to play my guitar into auria but record a BASS guitar sound. When I use Positive grid bias or just Jamup, it sounds like a GUITAR being played thru a bass amp, NOT a bass guitar.

I also have Ifretless but not sure if I can actually play my guitar thru that as I don't want to be playing my ipad for a few songs and need the feel of an actual bass guitar.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Popular topic. There are a couple from recent days asking about the same thing.

Best way to do it that I have found is with JamUp. I use the Red Compressor, one of the bass amps from BIAS (very important) and the Octaver pedal. I actually have best results by turning octave 2 down to zero, turning octave 1 all the way up and the middle dial all the way up as well. You could probably put an EQ in your signal chain as well if you wanted to shape the tone even more.

You can use iFretless but need to set up either MIDI Guitar or MIDI Morphosis to track your playing. Depending on if you are using polyphony or playing fast bass lines this could work for you.

The best suggestion I have heard was to buy a cheap $100 bass guitar.

• Ahhh, thanks synthandson! I'll look into the audio to midi converters. That might be my solution. Not sure if pitching it down would work though since the tone might not be pleasant to my ears as I actually want a bass guitar sound, ala thick strings.

Also haven't had a chance to try out the copy and paste into DrumaGog yet so that's why I haven't responded on the other thread.

• @flo and wayni - you guys responded while I was typing!

@wayni - thnx for info and will give that a try! I could've sworn there was an app on youtube where there was this really, REALLY weak tone like a Casio keyboard being run through it, and out came this glorious bass tone. At that time I was researching guitar amp sims so didn't bookmark it but I can't find it anymore. Agree with the $100 tip!

@flo - haha... How many Hail Marys will it take?

• Can u take a snapshot of your setup in jamup?

• @wayni - just gave your suggestion a try and got some pretty good bass tones. Just curious how you're using Jamup with Bias. Since you're using a bass amp from Bias, am I correct in assuming that you deactivated the amp within Jamup and are only using it for the pedals? If so, how are you dealing with the loss in levels? Just boosting up the gain?

Thnx again and happy turkey day!

• mmpmmp
    edited November 2013

You can import amps from BIAS into Jamup. Use the Jamup chickenhead knob icon in the top righthand corner of BIAS to go straight into Jamup with your BIAS amp. You'll then have to exchange BIAS for Jamup in your Audiobus chain if you're using that.

• Exactly what @mmp said.

Amplitube also has a bass setup which works well and can be used as an IAA effect and I was getting good sounds from it yesterday. Same setup with the Octaver pedal, though. Using the second octave makes it sound muddy to me so I turn it all the way down.

• Hey Wayni
    which setup sounds better ?amplitube bass setup or jamup bass setup

mind posting snapshots of exactly what each setup is?

• JamUp. I don't have my iPad here but... I put a compressor first, bass amp from BIAS second, then effects. Unless I am using an auto-wah. Then I stick the compressor directly in front of it.

I suggest that you hunt down user manuals for the pedals. It's pretty easy to recognize which pedal is being emulated by the store description and Google as Positive Grid just lifted the original marketing text. This will give you all the info in how to figure out what the dials do.

• Ahhh I see. I'm using native auria Jamup so am unable to do that. I'll thinknof something. In meantime I also purchase midi morphosis so will see how that works with ifretless but if I do that, I'll have to run thru audiobus but was hoping i couldve IAA'd tones directly to Auria at higher fidelity.

• You want to record an erzatz bass at higher fidelity?...

• Very hard to get a convincing bass sound with a guitar...sure, you can use an octave pedal with compressors and EQ....but it always sounds a little "off". Your best bet is to buy a cheap bass and just use that. Anything else just sounds substandard.

• @DerekBuddemeyer What do you use for bass in your tunes? The real thing?

• @wayni yes, for the most part I use my Epiphone Tobias bass....occasionally I will use the jazz bass in Beatmaker 2 and just play one the onscreen keyboard. Sampletank has some convincing bass sounds as well. I have tried plugging into ThumbJam and using a bass patch with the octave down...it's close but the tracking is horrible.

• Ampkit has some killer bass tones. Amplitube isn't bad either

• Do you send sampled bass to an Amp sim or anything?