Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Under The Radar Projects

How many of you are working on an actual music project? A song. Or an Al bum. Or an EP. Or something.
You don’t have to say what it is, you don’t have to give clues, you don’t even have to reply and admit it.
But if you do, what’s your progress, so far, in %?
Anything blocking you?
Projected finish date?

In fact, I recommend you don’t say what it is, don’t tell us the name, the details, the content, don’t even give a description of what it will be when it finishes – no spoilers, just shut the fuck up about your hopes and dreams, nobody wants to know about such deluded fiction. Just describe the project parameters.

WHAT IS YOUR PROGRESS?

I wish you all — all of you who replies — the best of luck.

Comments

• I’ll start.

I’m working on a thing. An album, in fact.
    Progress, about 80% I estimate.
    Music, all finished, vocal melody lines, all finished, minus the actual lyrics. All I’ve got to do now is write the lyrics, for twelve songs. Then do the vocals, then go round the mastering again with the vocals in, then release the fucker!

I estimate about 80%, maybe I’m deluded.

• I’m working on a couple of things:

Solo stuff: putting together a couple of CD’s worth of tracks for Bandcamp. Music’s all done, just need to work out what’s going on and what isn’t.

Band stuff: we’ve been rehearsing a bunch of tracks for a while, and in the process of recording them as a demo - to get gigs and whatnot, and eventually a proper CD.

Musically I’m in a very happy, productive, creative space at the moment.

• On an aside note (not wishing to derail my own thread, but, y’know) I wish I could ask some famous acts that are operating now with material they composed in the ‘80s or thereabouts: what would you have done differently in your song composition, lyrics, etc if you had any idea back then when you were young and made these songs in the 80s, that you’d still be performing them when you’re this old now in 2018? What tweaks would you have liked to have made to make life easier before it got set in stone?

• Decided recently that my more experimental side project would become my main project and have been pretty busy with it the past couple months. Winter is typically depressing for me but I get a HUGE energy boost in the spring!

Managed to actually complete 5 songs for an EP and uploaded to YouTube (they had been in progress for a while). I think my previous YT average was about 1 video a year so 5 was a big step forward thanks to Wizibel mostly. Final step for that EP is to put it on Bandcamp, worked on a cover last week but wasn't satisfied. 90% done on that.

Losing my confidence in Soundcloud so plan to get more on youtube going forward but still created a new Soundcloud for the project. Recorded a new song with a friend which I completed and uploaded last week that Im pretty happy with. Want to take a step up from Wizibel and make a better video for that one - yesterday found some good creative commons footage I can use. 50% done on that.

Oh yes also had two shorter ones ready to go that I polished and uploaded as well. (New strategy: if my song is 2.5 mins thats how long it is and I wont pad it to make it longer). So thats 8 tracks completed and uploaded. Have a couple more in progress already including another collaboration I recorded the same night as the other one. Lets say 25% complete on those new tracks.

Not sure if I will upload the 5 song EP from YouTube (and soon Band Camp) to Soundcloud as well, probably not. Do you guys duplicate uploads or spread songs around different services?

Hey this thread was pretty useful in organizing myself, I need to start writing more shit down.

• encenc
    edited May 2018

Everything I ever started is a work in progress :s

• @enc said:
    Everything I ever stated is a work in progress :s

Always mate.

• 4 track LP, each of them 10-12 mins long. First thing that I will have mixed and mastered myself. 3 of the tracks are roughly finished mixing. The only problem is I’ve been waiting for one of my two collaborators to do his contributions on the fourth track for two months now, which has soured my enthusiasm for the project.

So I’m stuck at around 92% and just waiting. Meanwhile, my mind and fingers have moved far beyond the project. I almost don’t care if it gets done anymore other than for completion’s sake.

• I’ve a new album in the works. All done, just need to finish mastering. I have 2 of 12 tracks completed. Not sure the % because: Mastering. Okay, what the heck, I’ll call it 90% complete.

• @u0421793 said:
    On an aside note (not wishing to derail my own thread, but, y’know) I wish I could ask some famous acts that are operating now with material they composed in the ‘80s or thereabouts: what would you have done differently in your song composition, lyrics, etc if you had any idea back then when you were young and made these songs in the 80s, that you’d still be performing them when you’re this old now in 2018? What tweaks would you have liked to have made to make life easier before it got set in stone?

In the ‘80s, I got to meet a number of famous acts with whom I still sometimes cross paths with, and I believe many of them would tell you that even after their songs were recorded and released they continued to evolve. In my own case (though no one would call me famous - maybe infamous...), I can’t help but tweak songs long after they are “finished” if I still play them at all.

Just an example, I worked a show for Flock of Seaguls about 8 years ago and they had done “gritty reboots” to every one of their hit songs (the same songs but with more cut and edge, new textures and riffs) Bass player said they’d be bored out of their skulls if they had to play the record version every night.

hope that helps.

• I finished mastering the finished (minus lyrics) a week ago when a] I washed my sennheiser in-ear headphones and b] I started coming down with this ridiculous cold that everybody’s had this week. As a result I couldn’t reliably hear what I should have, I did the mastering entirely by “instrument flight rules”, as it were.

• @ZenLizard said:

@u0421793 said:
    On an aside note (not wishing to derail my own thread, but, y’know) I wish I could ask some famous acts that are operating now with material they composed in the ‘80s or thereabouts: what would you have done differently in your song composition, lyrics, etc if you had any idea back then when you were young and made these songs in the 80s, that you’d still be performing them when you’re this old now in 2018? What tweaks would you have liked to have made to make life easier before it got set in stone?

In the ‘80s, I got to meet a number of famous acts with whom I still sometimes cross paths with, and I believe many of them would tell you that even after their songs were recorded and released they continued to evolve. In my own case (though no one would call me famous - maybe infamous...), I can’t help but tweak songs long after they are “finished” if I still play them at all.

Just an example, I worked a show for Flock of Seaguls about 8 years ago and they had done “gritty reboots” to every one of their hit songs (the same songs but with more cut and edge, new textures and riffs) Bass player said they’d be bored out of their skulls if they had to play the record version every night.

hope that helps.

That is interesting. If it were for example a tribute band, it’d be very close to the original, if it were an easy listening cover band, it’d be quite different (like Oasis / Wonderwall vs Mike Flowers Pops / Wonderwall), but if it is the actual original act, the song can progress in meaningful ways, and be updated as it goes along. For example, Kraftwerk’s Radio Activity, started as a fairly passive descriptive view of radioactive decay, but then nearly a couple of decades later it turned into an anti-nuclear song, and each nuclear accident adds to the lyrics.

I’m far more conscious these days of what I can and can’t sing and don’t want to sing, and similarly what I can play and won’t remember how to play. Consequently I’ve noticed that this time round I’m writing stuff that is intentionally not complex and varied, so that it can be remembered how to play it if ever I or anyone needed to play it live. Same with the vocals. I used to make the mistake of writing vocal lines like a melody line, and I’d end up with large jumps from one frequency to the next, making it nearly unsingable. Also, I’d not leave enough space to breathe. Now I’m doing lyric lines the other way – lots of space, lots of pacing, less duration of utterance, and very shallow and nearby interval distances between consecutive notes.

• I Remix for Disco Balls Records (& they have quite a few of my tracks too, which is great.... All signed, etc, but don't know they they are going to be released tho)........ Also, done some House tracks for Chicago Trax Label( the people who, in the 90's who were one of the largest House/Acid tunes in the time(Marshal Jefferson/Mr Fingers/Phuture Phantasy Club, etc........ which is cool)...... in between my pool cleaning business here in Sunny Sweaty Cyprus..... ;)
    Been lucky, & I hope there is Moore to come....... :)

• Its a near miracle but I actually finished an album and put it on Bandcamp, 100% done.
    Last one I put up was 2010 :#
    Was hoping to include the videos I made as bonuses but they only allow 100MB total, was able to add 1 after major compression.

Also finished the video for a newer track that not on there. 100%

Next up:
    Make a video for another finished track, 0%
    Recover the album stored on my old computers HD and upload it 0%
    Figure out a live rig setup and start shopping around for gigs 0%

• Well done. What are you using for making the videos?

• I've released 40+ records over the last 20 years, generally 3-4 a year for various projects.
    I tour a few times a year with a couple of acts, and play hired gun for a few others.
    I'm signed to multiple labels, and wrote music for Nasa.
    We've done multiple videos, and all of the other things that go along with doing what we do.

Today I just finished putting together all the music for a new album by one project, and tomorrow I will be finishing the packaging for a re-release for another so I can send it to our label (two cd set!).

Currently I'm also getting the next record for our main project up and running.

I've also written and had books published by actual publishers, and illustrated for magazines.

I cannot however function in the real world, and through a combination of hard work and luck, fortunately don't have to... But there is no back up plan. So... It's all a double edged sword...

• I have things, and they are being worked on. That is all...

• edited May 2018

I am doing an ambient drone/noise cloud reinterpretation of the first Gnossienne while separately preparing to do a drone/ harsh noise/sound design set at a free show on June third.

I recently sold a lot of effects pedals and purchased exciting new ones that open up a lot of design possibilities.

I will be playing under the name Fear Rod. I couldn’t be more excitemented. This will be my best one yet. Everything I’ve been working towards is finally coming together.

• Currently trying to build an EP/LP of 8 tracks + accompanying live set (even though I have no gigs, nor have I had for 20 years :D )
    I have too many tracks...and not enough vocals..
    That is all for now :)

• @papastank said:
    I am doing an ambient drone/noise cloud reinterpretation of the first Gnossienne while separately preparing to do a drone/ harsh noise/sound design set at a free show on June third.

I recently sold a lot of effects pedals and purchased exciting new ones that open up a lot of design possibilities.

I will be playing under the name Fear Rod. I couldn’t be more excitemented. This will be my best one yet. Everything I’ve been working towards is finally coming together.

• @u0421793 said:
    Well done. What are you using for making the videos?

Mostly wizibel and using original art made with some other apps. One was called Symmetry and it mysteriously just stopped working even though I didn't update anything, also gone from the app store. Also used generate and imovie on a couple of them. Wizibel is good for quick and dirty but the last one I made with footage from archive.org and I think its more interesting, takes a bit more time though.

@Ego_Likeness sweet deal, Ive had the occasional commercial opportunities but they are well spread apart. I haven't given up though. Aside from this latest experimental stuff Ive also been playing with some video game soundtrack oriented songs to try and shop around.

• I'm working on an all-vocal album, no instruments. The only thing holding me back is that I need to learn to sing first.

• Working on a pretty ambitious piece of music at the moment. It’s basically a fusion of instrumental trance music and the music you’d hear during a stereotypical 1930s “Western” flick. It’s 95% done, just in the arduous mixing stage. I’ll probably post it to Soundcloud sometime next month.

• iOS production made me somewhat prolific for a few years, but I've not done anything worthwhile in almost a year now. I think my creative juices simply got low and I needed a break. I've been oh so slowly gearing back up to begin another project. I just want every detail to feel right. I tend to start off well, then rush thru too many details.

• I’m rebooting Led Zepplin Four, but from the perspective of a fruit bat. I’m sure to start at some point.