Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What should I charge a good friend to master his album?

edited May 2018 in Other

So one of my best friends is in a band but he’s doing a side project at home that he wants mastered and I’ve been getting really good results on his stuff and he wants me to do the whole album 10 songs. I haven’t done that sort of thing for very long but like I said he likes the results I’ve gotten on a couple of test tracks and I plan to do a good job and have everything cohesive. I was thinking of looking around town at the rates, maybe doing an average of that, then giving a healthy good friend discount. Any advice?

Also it was his idea to throw some money my way. I would’ve done it for free cause I enjoy it and he’s a pal, but since my work is valued I wanted some third party opinions on what would be fair in this situation

Comments

• edited May 2018

The metric of that is always going to be how good a friend is he....?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    The metric of that is always going to be how good a friend is he....?

He’s a legit good friend. One of my best

• I'd probably do it for free. Not good mixing business & pleasure. Then again, I've been skint all my life!

• @Iso said:
    I'd probably do it for free. Not good mixing business & pleasure. Then again, I've been skint all my life!

That was certainly my first instinct, but he was all like “no no, I wanna pay you” albums still being polished up a bit on his end so there hasn’t been a formal discussion yet

• Ask for points.

• @db909 said:

@Iso said:
    I'd probably do it for free. Not good mixing business & pleasure. Then again, I've been skint all my life!

That was certainly my first instinct, but he was all like “no no, I wanna pay you” albums still being polished up a bit on his end so there hasn’t been a formal discussion yet

Do your mates album for free, with the proviso, that if he likes the results, he will bring any of his band's output for you to master at the going rate.........that way you don't compromise your friendship. while cultivating possible clients for the future..........

• @Iso I agree, that’s a great idea and fair

• edited May 2018

If you both decide and agree on a fee make a simple contract. Both of you sign and date it and each of you should have a copy...sometimes money’s weird with friendships

• edited May 2018

unless your friendship is predicated on the kind of work you do for him, which it sounds like it isn't, then you should charge the going rate or something close to it. The reason is that you are both each others good friend and good friendship goes both ways. Neither he or you are expecting you to do a discounted job so then why the discounted price?... in short whatever you do whether you discount or not base the price on something else other than friendship because your friendship has nothing to do with money or work in my assumption.
    imho.

• Well thank you all, you’ve given some fair points to consider on all sides of the equation and in record time! I do really appreciate the feedback folks. Thank you!

• Are we talking just properly using a limiter to bring up all the tracks or something more...?

• @oat_phipps said:
    Are we talking just properly using a limiter to bring up all the tracks or something more...?

No I’d be using whatever necessary to really get the most spice out of the tracks. They weren’t/aren’t recorded in perfect circumstances so there’d be some real polishing occurring.

• I would do it for free.
    I’m sure he can show his appreciation in some other way besides paying up.
    Money is evil and will ruin your friendship. >:)

• Instead of doing it for money, could you do it for a "you owe me in the future if I need your help with something but if not then thats cool"

• When money enters into an equation, the “friends” variable is dropped. Full stop. I agree with the others, if you want to keep your friendship I would leave money out of it.

• very good counsel here. Although since your friend wants to pay you something? Maybe you ask him to pick you up gear you need for the mastering? New cables? An apple-brand CCK? Or, barring that, a bottle of Bulleit rye.

• Thanks again you guys. Really appreciate all the perspectives. I’ve made my decision. Though I’m not going to share it because I think the angles have been adequately covered by you fine folks and any further discussion can be directed towards the general idea of working with friends and music, etc. This has also reminded me how great the people on this forum are. Give yourselves a pat on the back!

• moms always said these two things among many... always offer friends and guest the best in the house, and of course.... no shuckin and jivin!! :)

• @kobamoto said:
    moms always said these two things among many... always offer friends and guest the best in the house, and of course.... no shuckin and jivin!! :)

Word to your mother

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    very good counsel here. Although since your friend wants to pay you something? Maybe you ask him to pick you up gear you need for the mastering? New cables? An apple-brand CCK? Or, barring that, a bottle of Bulleit rye.

Good ideas here.

I also like the notion of points...If'n you hit paydirt make sure I get a shovelful...

• edited May 2018

I don’t know what the going rate is, but I’m going to go off what everybody else is saying and I’d give him a discounted friend rate.

I say this because if I were the friend, I’d prefer to pay in a loose business arrangement because I’d want to feel comfortable asking for changes and tweaks to the mastering.

If it’s a friend doing it for free, it can get awkward asking for changes, etc.

If you’re paying a fair rate and everything is agreed to beforehand, it’s just better all around. No guilt for changes, and it also allows your friend to show that he/she respects you as a professional.

• Sometimes a barter deal can work well between friends.

• edited May 2018

@db909 said:
    He’s a legit good friend. One of my best

>

Then I’d be inclined to do it free, and he can owe you a favour. Plus, a written agreement that if the songs are ever picked up by a major or make loads of dosh, you get a percentage.

• Mates rates is the worst idea ever. Send him to get it done elsewhere. You run the risk of having to work on that project for an eternity at little to no chance of a reasonable return.

My, I am in a no BS mood today. :lol:

• @Jocphone said:
    Mates rates is the worst idea ever. Send him to get it done elsewhere. You run the risk of having to work on that project for an eternity at little to no chance of a reasonable return.

That's my experience with doing free/cheap web/graphic work for friends.

When you're paying a fee or hourly rate for something, they're motivated in getting it done. When it's free or dirt cheap, there's no pressure, and it encourages a whole load of fiddling about - particularly if there's no deadline for the finished result.

Depends what you're getting out of it. If you want/need the experience, then do it as a learning process. But set deadlines, and make sure you get future work as a result. If you're already a pro and need to earn a living then I'd give it a miss.

• encenc
    edited May 2018

I wouldn't/couldn't charge a friend. How about a favour for a favour ? You do the mastering .. he does some work on your house/garden/car ?
    If all else fails he fronts you some beer tokens B)

• Yes, i would not want to get payed for that.
    Maybe some compensation for your time, say cinema together or something like this.

• Charge him $1

• @Iso said:

Love this response. That’s my way of thinking and my way with lack of money too :p