Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Patterning 2

Comments

• @Daveypoo said:
    @echoopera The request for AU isn't a reflection on anything Patterning is or isn't doing (at least for me). I don't like switching between IAA apps in something like AUM or Cubasis. I find it clunky, I get pops and stutters when I've got a solid sequence going, and with my 12.9 Pro it is a million times simpler to have everything on a single screen.

I'm the kind of guy that hates scrolling. I have all my apps in folders on a single page of my iPad because I like to be able to see everything in one place.

This. Yep. I get it and makes sense. Thanks for that workflow example. Helps the dev better understand the needs of the user. <3

I tend to use Patterning as a sequencer and host my synths in AUM or externally so my workflow is different when i use it.

• edited May 2018

Patterning2 ---> AWESOME!!

As for AU, oh yah, most absolutely a must at some point (maybe it has to be Patt3?). Having multiple Patternings on various BM3 banks, that is huge. Parameter recall is massive. IAA ghost bugs in iOS are lame. Will I still get it? Probably. If it were an AU I would pre-order it before getting SynthmasterOne, but now it is just in the queue for later. Being a sequel I can overlook the IAA handicap but if it were new and/or I did not have the first one I would not even consider it at this point.

• edited May 2018

Didn’t see the updates I’d been hoping for from the beginning of patterning 1. Combined with new price, keeping wallet closed for now.
    It does look like it will be pretty good though. Interested.

• edited May 2018

Curious then if its so good in comparison to others, why the need for another version so soon?

• I think patterning 1 as AU alone would be a big seller. For me I’m pretty happy the way it is and I would be more excited for an iphone version than AU. Patterning 2 is instabuy no doubt about that.

• With prices rising to compete with the desktop model, my purchase button is a little more discerning these days, so I'll wait and see with this one.

• @benkamen said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Totally on board, but if you're going to make me wait until almost August, @benkamen, you're going to have to pony up with some serious video promos!

Hope to do a bunch of videos during beta testing and pre-release. We'll see how much energy I can muster for it as there's a lot of other stuff to do as well in that time.

Regarding AU... I looked into it. It doesn't seem to make sense for a fullscreen app like this. I will re-assess if full screen AU becomes a thing. (Is it a thing? I hear it's possible but are any hosts supporting it?) For now, I feel like the other connectivity options (ableton live export, audio export, IAA, etc) make for enough choices to integrate into workflows.

Fullscreen is available in many hosts. Though I prefer the iOS 11 implementation since I use GarageBand iOS.

For me AU is essential. I wouldn’t buy anything without it.

• I’m a little disappointed there is no iPhone app. And no auv3. Without those features I’m not sure about upgrading.

• Patterning is brilliant, but yah AU is the future. I'd spend $20 on patterning 2 just as a midi only au sequencer like rozeta. I've committed to only spend money on apps that support auv3.

• Wow...........tough crowd in tonight.............. ;)

• **_> @echoopera said:

Just curious about everyone asking for AU. Patterning already gives you 8 separate Audio Out Channels and is a robust MIDI sequencer to boot.

As a fairly regular user of the app, I don't really see a need for it to be an AU. Are you needing more than 8 channels for drums/samples in your compositions?

I think the kinds of things I'd be asking @benkamen for in Patterning 2 before ever requesting AUv3 format would be the following:

. Scale + Key locking so I can play in key when sequencing gear
    . Per step sample loading per channel
    - yeah, I want it to be a digitakt :)
    . Per channel AUv3 effects loading so I can go crazy in the app
    . Multiple Sends per channel so I can route fx intelligently and minimize overhead abuse
    . Per step slicing of samples so I can change which part of the sample gets played on each step

These are just some of the things I'd be asking for before AUv3 support :)

_**

Yessir!

• Cool yea, I hear you all about AUs. Noted.

Now let's talk about how cool these new features are :wink:

• it's not too late those features were requested a long time ago :)

• edited May 2018

@Dawdles said:

AU means no leaving the sequencer app UI...Waaaaaaaay better workflow imho. And convenience with stuff like automation and setting up Beatmaker macros and the road map modulation expansions. Also, yeah sometimes I'd maybe wanna use more than one instance. Either for different song sections or different layers or trying stuff out like having different Rozeta instances and configs feeding multiple replicas and jam combining/flipping between the different instances... Lots of possibilities start to appear when you can have more than one instance...

using multiple simultaneous patterns has been requested for patterning as well and is of high priority, not only that but when we get it it won't come with a convoluted workflow and will be the Patterning workflow through and through

• @Iso said:
    Wow...........tough crowd in tonight.............. ;)

Yep... Seems like an AU revolution...

• edited May 2018

@echoopera said:
    Just curious about everyone asking for AU. Patterning already gives you 8 separate Audio Out Channels and is a robust MIDI sequencer to boot.

As a fairly regular user of the app, I don't really see a need for it to be an AU. Are you needing more than 8 channels for drums/samples in your compositions?

I think the kinds of things I'd be asking @benkamen for in Patterning 2 before ever requesting AUv3 format would be the following:

. Scale + Key locking so I can play in key when sequencing gear
    . Per step sample loading per channel
    - yeah, I want it to be a digitakt :)
    . Per channel AUv3 effects loading so I can go crazy in the app
    . Multiple Sends per channel so I can route fx intelligently and minimize overhead abuse
    . Per step slicing of samples so I can change which part of the sample gets played on each step

These are just some of the things I'd be asking for before AUv3 support :)

I am in complete agreement with @echoopera here, and I'm a little taken aback by the line-in-the-sand that AU has become. It mean, maybe my memory is selective, but it seems like a year ago, iSem and Viking and zMors EQ were pretty much the only AU games in town? Maybe it has been around longer. And while I can see the value of several instances of a given synth, or unlimited use of AU delays and EQ, I think it's less valuable with an app that is largely a sequencer in its own right.

As echo points out, Patterning has 8 audio outs (and coming in P2, 8 midi outs, if I'm reading correctly). It has had excellent midi learn; it's easy (for even me!) to trigger Patterning clips/scenes from Modstep.

State saving — yes. But it's easy enough to rename a pattern.

And personally? I prefer the standalone environment to the AU version without exception.

• @benkamen said:
    Cool yea, I hear you all about AUs. Noted.

Can we have a sneak peek (video)... Most interested in the melody seq..

• @benkamen said:

Right on!

No more AU chat from me in this thread. Love the new features. And randomize everywhere! Right up my street.

• edited May 2018

@benkamen said:

yes lets... scaling!!! , tempo automation!!!! , this is really coming along I'm too excited gotta go back and look at the other new features

Divide Mode Measure Length
    In loop divide mode you can now set the measure length for the loop. So go ahead and divide that measure of 7/8 into 23 equal parts, because you can.

Automation Improvements
    Automation recording now latches on with the record button. New automation layers include parameter randomization, ratchet settings, and MIDI gate length.

sic whoooooot
    oh heck I can't even pick and choose the whole list is wonderbaaaaaaaar

Record Beats
    Record patterns using the new drum pads page or with an external MIDI controller.

Randomize (Almost) Everything
    Randomize instrument parameters such as panning, filter cutoff and resonance, tuning, velocity and more. Randomization can be automated on a per step basis.

Next Generation Ratcheting
    Creating stuttering beats with up to 8 divisions of a step. Use the Ratchet Decay parameter to create growing or decaying velocities for ratchets.

Drum Kit Switching
    Create as many kits as you like within a song and apply them to any number of patterns. Switch samples, effects, and mixer settings when changing patterns to subtly modify parameters or load a completely different palette of sounds.

Quantized Pattern Launch
    Switch patterns on the fly and never miss a beat.

Coarse Tune Quantize
    The coarse tune parameter can be quantized to specific intervals, making melodic sequencing a breeze. Combine with randomization to create stochastic melodies. Works with MIDI out, too!

Pattern Tempo Changes
    Patterns can now override (or revert back to) the song tempo, optionally slewing gradually to new tempos.

Loop Rotate
    Set the initial rotation of a loop, offsetting the loop to start on a different step or slide off the grid altogether. Steps can be nudged by single ticks or by regular sub-divisions of a step.

Sample Folders
    Easily organize your samples into folders for quick sample loading.

Divide Mode Measure Length
    In loop divide mode you can now set the measure length for the loop. So go ahead and divide that measure of 7/8 into 23 equal parts, because you can.

Automation Improvements
    Automation recording now latches on with the record button. New automation layers include parameter randomization, ratchet settings, and MIDI gate length.

Ableton Link Updates
    Patterning 2 uses the latest version of Ableton Link, with Start/Stop and now includes support for Link’s quantum setting.

MIDI Gate Length & Unlimited CC Layers
    Automate MIDI Gate Length for MIDI tracks. Gates longer than 100% will tie together with the following step, if present, to create longer note lengths. Unlimited CC automation layers for controlling your MIDI devices.

MIDI Only Tracks
    You can now disable audio for a track to make it MIDI only.

Loads of Other Improvements
    Streamlined MIDI setup from the Pattern editor, file system improvements, faster loading times and major under-the-hood improvements.

And all the features you’ve already been enjoying :

Export directly to an Ableton Live Set.
    Multi-channel audio export.
    Cloud Kits : Download and Share Drum Kits
    8 Channel Inter-App Audio Output
    Rock solid MIDI Clock
    MIDI Output
    Ableton Link
    Dropbox integration for importing samples
    And so much more

• @benkamen all I can say is the new feature list is awesome. Can’t wait to experiment with all crazy randomness.

• @benkamen said:

+1 :)

• Patterning is the most amazing app I've ever experiencd in IOS, and this update includes unbeliaveble features.
    But after having suffered IAA and AB for such a long time I will definitively not buy an app like this without AU support. I consider it mandatory for any serious app at this moment.
    Truly sorry, no AU, no joy...
    :-(

• @Rodolfo said:
    Patterning is the most amazing app I've ever experiencd in IOS, and this update includes unbeliaveble features.
    But after having suffered IAA and AB for such a long time I will definitively not buy an app like this without AU support. I consider it mandatory for any serious app at this moment.

No rights or wrongs, just personal taste. I can't imagine seeing a major upgrade to the 'most amazing app I've ever experienced in iOS' and not buying it in a blind heartbeat. But that's just me. Toast :)

• edited May 2018

@Rodolfo said:
    Patterning is the most amazing app I've ever experiencd in IOS, and this update includes unbeliaveble features.

I definitely wanna add my voice to support AU for the brothers and sisters that need it and if you've been around for a bit and take a look at that features list you'll already know that Ben is definitely a listener when it comes to everyones needs, it already looks like AU is in patternings future from the vibe of his responses but........... I hope the non-AU fam gets the same support for the priority of what Patterning 'is' now and the things it needs to make it complete within itself like multiple simultaneous patterns, sample slicing, sample flipping per step, and universal version before it heads out to the AU version and all of the AU glory that it will surely become!

imho there's a lot of joy to be had here!!!

• @Daveypoo said:
    Oh man..... I just bought Patterning about a month ago and now this?!?!?!?! I know, I know - super late to the party on this one.

Hmmm - I'll have to ruminate on the pre-order. I have to ask the obvious question, though @benkamen - any plans for Patterning as AUv3? Based on the interface I would think not, but AUv3 has become integral to the way to work so it had to be asked....

lol, same here, got it about a month ago, loved it right away but still haven't used it as much as should, just because soooo many great apps either came out or went AUV3, If P2 supports AUV3, it'll be an insta buy for me, otherwise I should probably dive deeper into P1.

• edited May 2018

There is nothing wrong with making the journey in reverse from the iOS homeland back to the 'more like a desktop land' where the majority of us started.. I just hope that all of those desiring to assimilate the iOS workflow back into something more reminiscent of the desktop experiences that we came from remember what the main draw was to get us on the journey to iOS Mecca in the first place.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Rodolfo said:

No rights or wrongs, just personal taste. I can't imagine seeing a major upgrade to the 'most amazing app I've ever experienced in iOS' and not buying it in a blind heartbeat. But that's just me. Toast :)

You're right, but it's not only taste, but pragmatism and evolution too. Most of my setup is based on AU at this moment, and when Patterning dropped in 2015 IAA/AB was the best available technology in IOS (although very unstable and buggy standards). Now it's not. I expected P2 would support the lastest and most advanced standard, that's why my dissapointment because it's a great app that unfortunatelly doesn't fit my new workflow.
    Cheers :)

• ^^ yet...

• @Rodolfo said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Rodolfo said:

You're right, but it's not only taste, but pragmatism and evolution too. Most of my setup is based on AU at this moment, and when Patterning dropped in 2015 IAA/AB was the best available technology in IOS (although very unstable and buggy standards). Now it's not. I expected P2 would support the lastest and most advanced standard, that's why my dissapointment because it's a great app that unfortunatelly doesn't fit my new workflow.
    Cheers :)

That sounds like the message I was going to post. ;)

Yah, AUs have evolved not only my workflow but also my music making habits in the real world. I work on projects now that I can jump into for even small bite sized chunks of time. Even just ten minutes is now a discrete unit of music making time. Projects that require yet again a midi setup, some form of note taking taking or IAA ghost killing etc just are not as frequented as ones that are as simple as 'Open Host', 'Load Project' 'Get It On'.

So yah part of me wants to thank the dev of this amazing app that has served me well in the past but another part of me wants to 'vote with my dollars' on the future.

• Ben will we be able to draw in the automation freely with something like a pencil mode yet, or will there be separate, and independent automation rings so that you can apply automation in different resolutions than the patterns they're being applied to?