Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BlueTooth Pedal Board

Is there a Bluetooth Pedal board that will do the following?

1. Turn pages in ForScore
  2. Start/Stop Loops in Loopy HD
  3. Enable "stomp box" effects in ToneStack GO
  4. Send programmable MIDI CC's on a select MIDI channel(s)

Or do I need 2 or 3 devices to check all these boxes?

Comments

• edited May 2018

BlueBoard from Ikmultimedia allow for that. But not at the same time I think. No issues for turning pages. For Loopy I use BTLe mode which sends midi notes. I use it also that way for changing presets in VoicerackFx. There is also a CC mode. You choose modes when powering on the board. Perhaps loopy can take CC too I’ve to checked that.

• I like the looks of the Positive Grid BT4. I’m not sure if they stopped selling it, but the standard foot switches on the BT4 look way better than BlueBoard.

• I know that looper pedal/switch behavior can be tricky if there’s a lot of latency

• The iRig BlueBoard app can be used to send Virtual MIDI out to all apps which accept this type of input simultaneously. Looking into these apps, these should all accept Virtual MIDI input. While this means you may be able to control all of these with one iRig BlueBoard. It may be useful to have an iRig BlueTurn and an iRig BlueBoard in this case. The iRig BlueTurn dedicated for page turning.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irigblueturn/

If you are looking for any other insight on how to use these products together or you need help getting started with your product. Make sure to contact the IK support team here.

• Thanks Ryan_IK.

I've been saying this since ~2005.
    "It looks like I need to buy more IK Multimedia products."

I just thought there might be alternatives but you just keep pulling me back in.

Who likes the BlueBoard Pedal buttons for Looping and why?
    Clicking? Silence? Physical feedback for the event timing?

PS - I'm waiting AirTurn. Any support team?

• hello @Ryan_IK ,

Is it possible to connect multiple blueboards to an ios device ? (like in Mode 2, for example?)

• It is certainly possible to connect multiple iRig BlueBoard units to a single iOS device. The only restriction is connecting multiple to the same app. For example, two units could not to connect to the iRig BlueBoard app at the same time.

To use multiple iRig BlueBoard units you just need to sync these to different apps. One good example would be using two iRig BlueBoard units for more control in AmpliTube iOS. In this case you would connect one unit to the iRig BlueBoard app, then use another iRig BlueBoard unit directly connected to the AmpliTube app (Using the built-in BlueBoard section in Menu -> Settings).

• @McDtracy said:
    Thanks Ryan_IK.

I've been saying this since ~2005.
    "It looks like I need to buy more IK Multimedia products."

I just thought there might be alternatives but you just keep pulling me back in.

Who likes the BlueBoard Pedal buttons for Looping and why?
    Clicking? Silence? Physical feedback for the event timing?

PS - I'm waiting AirTurn. Any support team?

The lack of tactile feedback (no "click") does bother me at times. In performance I'm sitting when I use my BlueBoard, and have found my foot wants to feel a button and feel it press in. But the BlueBoard is quite versatile, and great with Loopy, etc.

• BlueBoard works GREAT with forscore. I have it programmed that the outside two pedals are page forward and back, the inside two are score forward and back, helpful with a set list on a reading gig where there’s no breaks between songs.

• I prefer a silent button on my loopers as long as it bottoms out so I know it got pressed (i.e. feedback).

• A review of the BlueBoard mentions a lack of physical feedback when looping... It does have lights to indicate status. I'm learning towards the Positive Grid BT2 or maybe the 4.

• There is delay between pressing the Bluebeard and it turning the effect on or off whichbis too much for me to work with.

• edited May 2018

BlueBoard has a low latency BTLE mode, press B while powering it and you’re in that mode, it’s as fast as any BTLE device. As a saxophonist I can’t even look at my foot and lack or visual or clicky feedback is not such of an issue. I leave my foot just next to the bboard and know its dimensions no need to look. It’s just like playing an instrument eyes closed, just need to learn where keys are.

• I have an old Digitech Pedal board that outputs MIDI and it has 12 pedals and an expression pedal built-in. I'll connect it via 5-pin MIDI cable to the Korg PlugKey interface and test it out with all my apps. If it works well I'll thing about getting a MIDI-to-Bluetooth adapter.

Time to cracks the books on using MIDI to send CC's and maybe invest in MIDIflow Apps. So, much to learn and so little time left.

• Hey Guys,

It sounds like for some of you the iRig BlueBoard may be the way to go, but for the others out there that are not fond of Bluetooth connections, or need a switch which audibly clicks when making changes. The iRig Stomp I/O may be an ideal solution here. This device will work with any Core MIDI compatible app to send MIDI CC or MID PC messages with a quick and easy set up.

Check it out here.

• Love my BlueBoard and it is about low latency as you can get. As others have mentioned, the lack of feedback does take some getting used to since it doesn't "click" when you press it. I've taken to playing in my socks/bare feet so that I can get a sense of where the pedal is and whether I've pressed it.

• The issue I’ve found with Positive Grid BT4 is that the switches are latching, and only send a signal when you release the button, so it’s almost impossible to use it as a looper.

How do the switches work with a blueboard. Does it send the midi signal on the first press, or only upon releasing. Can people use it with a looping app effectively? I may try and sell my BT4 for this reason.

See more here:

https://forum.positivegrid.com/topic/90/bt-4-and-blueboard

• When using the iRig BlueBoard app, the switches of the iRig BlueBoard will only function as latch style controls. Unfortunately, this cannot be changed using this app. Using the newest firmware on the iRig BlueBoard however, you will be able to use a MIDI over Bluetooth mode for momentary style use. To enter MIDI over Bluetooth 'Mode 2' for momentary controls, power ON your iRig BlueBoard holding the 'C' pedal.

Check out Page 11 in the user manual at the link below for some extra help here.

http://ikmanual.com/irigblueboard

Once in this mode you should be able to connect to any apps which allow MIDI over Bluetooth device connections. For example MIDI Flow will allow for this type of use as well as some extra control over the MIDI messages going into your apps. Check with the Positive Grid team to see if they support MIDI over Bluetooth devices. I cannot seem to find this information.

Another option could be using the AmpliTube iOS looper section. This includes 4 loops and control via iRig BlueBoard. Do note, the iRig BlueBoard includes some bonus gear for AmpliTube CS. Read more on the included apps with this product at the link below.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigblueboard/index.php?p=apps

Hope this helps!

• Or, get Yamaha MDBT01 Bluetooth midi adapters and put them on any pedalboard with power and midi i/o. Then you could have multiple controllers for same app. They work really well, started using them on all kinds of controllers, no issue ever.

• Question: does one need to use the BlueBoard app to stream the info from the BlueBoard to other devices or does it show up as a MIDI BlueTooth device without using the BlueBoard app?

• @espiegel123 said:
    Question: does one need to use the BlueBoard app to stream the info from the BlueBoard to other devices or does it show up as a MIDI BlueTooth device without using the BlueBoard app?

It has 3 modes. One of them can be activated at power up by holding down the A, B or C buttons.

Mode 1 requires the IK Multimedia BlueBoard app which is expected by several Apps I own like ForScore. This mode sends "Program Change" MIDI events.

Mode 2 sends "MIDI Note" events. 4 fixed notes as I recall. It uses MIDI Bluetooth with an App required.

Mode 3 uses "CC MIDI" events and also just works over Bluetooth. It works great for Enso which accepts CC setting an uses MIDI Learn to create Button on Pedal to button in App connections. AUM has a similar capability.

NOTE: IK Multimedia makes you register the product on their web site to use the App. I started with the App first so I'm not sure if Modes 2 and 3 work without registering.

It appears you need to register the product to gain access to the User Manual. I have used IK Multimedia a few times for support and to re-install older purchases so I didn't hesitate to register the product for my warranty needs if anything stops working at some point. I love the Bluetooth design to avoid more cables in my life.

I'm very happy with the decision to get one but I keep eyeing the Behringer option with so many buttons and 2 expression pedals.

• @McD : Tx! Mode 3 is just what I needed. No BlueBoard app needed.

• It's also worth mentioning the 2 external ports. I connected an Expression pedal and it works great as the volume pedal for Galileo Organs for example. It sends CC 12's ranging from 1-127 I think. I would guess a button/switch would give you a 5th button to toggle. I don't have one handy to test.

• Have a look to THE [C] CONFIG (coming soon ! I will share the whole setup)
    You can then control everything, form Loopy HD to Bias FX...

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

THE [C] CONFIG
    UNLEASH THE POTENTIAL OF THE iRig BLUEBOARD
    (for Bias FX 1 or 2 mobile and many other apps)

Features

• 24 actions thanks to the Blue_Velvet script
    • Unmasked luminous feedback during an action
    • Luminous feedback at the end of the action
    • Indicator for the expression pedal
    • Luminous feedback for bank UP change
    • Luminous feedback for bank DOWN change
    • Luminous parametric metronome
    • Tempo synchronisation for Bias FX !

24 actions

• 4x single tap [channel 2 : CC 1, 2, 3, 4 ]
    • 4x double taps [channel 2 : CC 5, 6, 7, 8]
    • 4x triple taps [channel 2 : CC 9, 10, 11, 12]
    • 4x hold [channel 2 : CC 13, 14, 15, 16]
    • 4x single tap + hold [channel 2 : CC 17, 18, 19, 20]
    • 4x double taps + hold [channel 2 : CC 21, 22, 23, 24]

iRig BLUEBOARD mode

• Activate mode C by pressing button [C] when turning on the power.
    • The default mode can be restored by pressing button [A] when switching on.

Apps required

• Audiobus v3 + midi functionality
    • StreamByter
    • Stepbud
    • Bias FX 1 or 2 mobile + midi functionality (exclusively on channel 2)

App not to be used anymore

The BlueBoard app that requires to choose between PROG or CTRL CHANGE.
    You can now do everything simultaneously!

Limitations

• It is not possible to activate the "backlight" mode to see all buttons permanently illuminated.
    • Currently only one pedal (port 2).
    • Expression pedal indicator switches off with metronome.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

• @espiegel123 said:
    @McD : Tx! Mode 3 is just what I needed. No BlueBoard app needed.

You need the app if you want custom CCs , bcoz in mode 3 cc’s are fixed .. CC20 to CC23 , bcoz it’s mean to work plug and play with certain configurations I think

For example in XMURE app , mode 2 works by default , since XMURE has also implemented the same