Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ampify apps... Blocs Wave, Groovebox, Launchpad - Which features are you waiting on?

Comments

• re-ordering of tracks in Groovebox.

• @ksound said:
    User file management for Blocs Wave. I would pay $10-$40 for a file management IAP.

Same here.

• @ksound said:
    User file management for Blocs Wave. I would pay $10-$40 for a file management IAP.

>

I would happily fork out £20 for a Blocs Wave with, let’s say, triple the current blocs, AU FX per sample, etc, etc. Then a few more quid for Midi out on Groovebox.

Alas, I fear that the likes of us are vastly outnumbered by Millennials wanting to ‘share’ EDM across (anti) social media, and couldn’t care less about the kind of features that we have all been requesting. :'(

• @RajahP said:
    Will love to see other scales transpose in Blocs ... Like Elastik 3...

I’d buy that, too. :)

• How about being able to add a couple of pads to a Blocs Wave project within Launchpad?

• edited May 2018

There WILL COME A POINT THAT IF NOVATION DOESN'T PAY ATTENTION TO ITS CUSTOMERS FOR IOS ANOTHER COMPANY WILL DO WHAT THE PEOPE WANT.

To me REMIX live is superior to the Launchpad App.

IF IF IF IF it only had MIDI

I am finding that Samplebot and GROOVERIDER superior alternatives to BLOCS WAVE

I love and only use Novation gear.

But if they continue to nickel and dime me for presets and not let me save my own or at least have multi midi channels I will nix their apps once and for all.

Already using them less since they will not listen to users.

Not trying to be a bitch but it is getting old begging someone to respond or listen to many of us LIKE OTHER GOOD DEVELOPERS WHO RESPECT THEIR USERS DO.

If they have no plans for multi midi or preset saving tell me.

Let me pay an IAP to save presets and one IAP for multi midi. I don't give a shit.

I need these things otherwise the apps stay amateur

So I can stop wasting my time hoping for a change.

• LooptunesHD has also midi (includding iPhone) and BM3 is better sampler by far.
    Blocs (the only app I still keep using) is easy to use and so spartan to even avoid midi directly (it could be mapped to launchcontrol small).
    It’s a great sketchpad into Ableton (export).

For live gigging better to export samples and use an Mpc1000 or sp555...

• Launchkey app! More presets, Link... keep hope alive!

• If blocs wave had kept up with the original schedule we would probably be on v36 by now. I would have no problem with that! Some more effects and Link start/stop would be much appreciated :)

• @RUST( i )K said:
    There WILL COME A POINT THAT IF NOVATION DOESN'T PAY ATTENTION TO ITS CUSTOMERS FOR IOS ANOTHER COMPANY WILL DO WHAT THE PEOPE WANT.

But if they continue to nickel and dime me for presets and not let me save my own or at least have multi midi channels I will nix their apps once and for all.

Not trying to be a bitch but it is getting old begging someone to respond or listen to many of us LIKE OTHER GOOD DEVELOPERS WHO RESPECT THEIR USERS DO.

Let me pay an IAP to save presets and one IAP for multi midi. I don't give a shit.

What’s funny is I never really used Blocs Wave even though I’ve had it for quite a while. But with all these recent discussions I cracked it open and have begun using it for exactly what it is/best at: being just a great audio looper with some cool ways of rearranging the loops after the fact. I’ve got an Audiobus preset that’s purely Animoog into Blocs Wave and it’s pretty simple fun. But Groovebox definitely has too many cut corners. And also the obligatory Long Live Grooverider

• @RUST( i )K you are so right, they need to listen , how long we asking for midi mapping in GrooveBox, instead they support their controllers, better file management and the list could go one if I continue.
    @AmpifyxNovation , start listening to us.

• @RUST( i )K said:

Reading your post I’ve just tried REMIX LIVE, nice app it has a mixer etc one limit to me is they’re only 4 scenes of 6 loops on iPhone.

Also does Grooverider allow for record processed loops through Audiobus just like we do with Blocs Wave?

• Thanks for these.

Any bugs you're still experiencing in any of the 3 Ampify apps?

I'm finding that Groovebox is missing playing the first drum Kick on playback, and that recording with Link Enabled is not syncing well.

• edited May 2018

Launchpad still have some random very small audio crackles still december redesign update. They said it will be fixed but never has been. Recordings are not affected but it’s less reliable for real live playing.

Blocs wave needs recorded loops with Link to be flatten to start properly from first locator if recording is not started in sync with other loops beginnings

• So how was your chat? Still have random audio glitches in Launchpad.

• edited June 2018

@Janosax said:
    So how was your chat? Still have random audio glitches in Launchpad.

This hasn’t happened yet but hopefully in next few weeks. I’ll be sending a link to this thread, so fingers crossed we’ll get some news.

• iCloud. Being able to reach projects from multiple devices would be great!

• Thanks... I loaded some Horns Loops (Acid Latin) into BlocsWave... and it is the most incredible sounding horn production one can imagine (with the Chopper/Slicer)... Please Ampify, more Horns Section packs... It's rather tedious getting these samples into Blocs... I rather buy them...

Thanks..

• i feel like I should be able to merge pads in Blocs Wave, resulting in an overdub/bounce. Ya know?

• edited June 2018

Also don’t know for iPad but on iPhone since last december Launchpad update there is no more names under loops. It’s often hard to know and remember what you play, especially with one shots and retriggers.

• @Janosax said:
    Also don’t know for iPad but on iPhone since last december Launchpad update there is no more names under loops. It’s often hard to know and remember what you play, especially with one shots and retriggers.

That is so true, I wrote them before about that.
    Also I would like to see more development to Groovebox.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@Janosax said:
    So how was your chat? Still have random audio glitches in Launchpad.

This hasn’t happened yet but hopefully in next few weeks. I’ll be sending a link to this thread, so fingers crossed we’ll get some news.

Ah! Thought it was more imminent than that, when you first posted your query last month. Wasn’t ready to describe any part of my wishlist but do have quite a few thoughts about these apps. And about the future of Focusrite/Novation/Ampify on iOS.

These apps do a lot to fulfill the promise of “music for everyone”. Have rarely tried them with kids, but they can work really well in generating interest. Anyone can be musicking in no time, getting cool results without needing to know anything about music. Several soundpacks are quite compelling and the diversity of sounds available is much broader than many sample libraries. In other words, not everything in these packs is a subgenre of Trap.
    So, these apps are fun as musical “toys”, in the positive sense of the term. They allow for exploration without overthinking.
    At the same time, it’s technically possible to use these tools to produce something complex. For instance, using patterns created in Groovebox to build a loop library in Blocs and performing them in Launchpad is a pretty cool concept. Timeconsuming, maybe, but it’s one way to remain DAWfree. ;)

At this point, the overall workflow between the three apps can produce interesting results and is certainly more elaborate than many other offerings (say, ROLI’s iOS apps). But it’s also limited to getting some quick ideas together. Pretty cool for inspiration, but not the best to prepare for further work. Because of this, haven’t used these apps much in the past several months. Sales do bring me back for a few minutes, sometimes, but the Ampify lineup hasn’t become much of a thing, for me (and my iPad Pro is too full to keep them all on the device).

Communication between the three apps is still a bit strange. It’s nice that we can set things up in Blocs Wave and send those to Launchpad to perform with them and record the results. It’s also nice to export most things as section mixes and, in some cases, as “project files”. But it’s not as though we could really integrate these three apps.

Communication with non-Ampify apps is another thing entirely. Sure, Blocs Wave can do wonders in recording AB3 output (and it was my key use case for a while, before focusing more on AUM). But this is a context in which AUv3 could be a huge improvement. Especially now that we have AU MIDI.

The Groovebox sounds are pretty cool and these four instruments would work very well as AUv3. Would like to use some of these patches with my wind controller, assigning filter cutoff to breath control. Sounds like a very specific ask and quite an edge case, but this is exactly where AUv3 plugins get so flexible and useful.

The lack of MIDI out is a big issue for many of us and Groovebox is really one which could benefit from it. Or just MIDI export. Some of these grooves are pretty nice but you hit a wall when you want to integrate them elsewhere.

The lack of desktop counterparts means that, unlike Korg Gadget on the Mac, you can only export audio tracks. Fair, but having a way to extend your workflow to more elaborate devices is quite compelling.

Otherwise, there are my pet features, like MPE support, microtuning, and enhanced management of patches and samples. These may sound like overkill, but they could all make Ampify’s offerings distinctive, increasing Novation’s legitimacy in the iOS musicking scene.

Speaking of which… It’s somewhat surprising that there aren’t more connections between Ampify and Novation/Focusrite (still unclear about the relationship, actually). The Ampify team is probably independent from people with whom they worked at Novation. But there are clear opportunities for one team to leverage work by the other. Ampify devs clearly understand what makes a high-quality iOS app. Focusrite has some audio/MIDI interfaces which could work with iOS devices. Some of Novation’s devices (say, the Circuit) could work well in an iOS workflow. There could be ways for the three brands to be part of a common project to really bring music on iOS to the next level.

But, to do so, Ampify should really start by adopting the features we come to expect, like AUv3 support… and MPE. ;)

• I know that most people won't record their own samples, but that's exactly what I liked in BlocsWave:
    You can sample live!
    Now why don't I regularly use it?
    Because the sample slicing to pads is always on a fixed grid and the slice points cannot be fine-adjusted.
    What I miss most is being able to fine-adjust the slice points in pad mode because a live recording rarely has perfect timing, and sometimes it just needs to be corrected or even "re-grooved".

• edited June 2018

There has been a decent upgrade to LaunchPad in the past couple of days. However....

LaunchPad

Needs full two way access with Blocs sound packs.
    Needs AU3 (for app itself and use of AU FX per sample)
    Needs sample editing (inc reverse)

GrooveBox

Needs Midi out.

Blocs Wave

Needs genuine pro version, with triple the current blocks.
    Needs song mode.
    Needs AU3 FX on a per sample basis.
    Needs better sample editing (inc reverse)

But is anyone listening, these days at Ampify? Most of what has happened this year has been cosmetic changes and lots of soundpacks.

• @db909 said:
    i feel like I should be able to merge pads in Blocs Wave, resulting in an overdub/bounce. Ya know?

You can do this already, albeit in a slightly awkward way...mute all pads that you do not want merged, and then export a 'Section Mix'..you can then import and add this export to a pad in BW.

• edited June 2018

@rs2000 said:
    I know that most people won't record their own samples, but that's exactly what I liked in BlocsWave:
    You can sample live!
    Now why don't I regularly use it?
    Because the sample slicing to pads is always on a fixed grid and the slice points cannot be fine-adjusted.
    What I miss most is being able to fine-adjust the slice points in pad mode because a live recording rarely has perfect timing, and sometimes it just needs to be corrected or even "re-grooved".

I use BlocsWave mainly to record my own parts, if you think about it even in a linear DAW most parts are similar to more or less long loops. Solo parts can even be thinked as one shots or retriggers in Launchpad, as there is no time limitation per sample in BW/LP. But you can also take all BW audio in any DAW. When recording virtual instruments, you can use midi and Link. Xequence or even Gadget sequencer for exemple will allow to record, quantize and make corrections on your performance, and then you will record playback midi part synced with Link in BlocsWave with Audiobus/AUM or do some export/import. For acoustic instrument part it’s a different thing, I don’t see any elastic stretching/markers like Ableton Live feature on iOS. In that case, I can record an acoustic part 30 or 40 times, seems normal to me this the way music production also has to be IMO, and this can be pretty fun, and gives some intensity and authenticity to instrument playing. Always possible to use Reslice and Abu Dhabi with Link for advanced slicing stuff, and BlocsWave as sound material receiver. BW slice mode has limitations but is still a huge creative tool to me, use it all the time and have nice rhythmic/melodic/dynamics results (Reslice don’t have velocity triggering BTW). LP is so nice for quick real-time arrangement, thanks also to BW quick export to LP, I don’t even use its dj style effects except for fun.

On iOS, I think we need to forget how looks an app, and what’s its initial purpose and ask this question: what else can I do with this thing? In an open mind, thinking modular mainly.
    Ampify apps looks and feels toyish, but strangely are in the most productive, efficient and powerful apps on iOS if thinked as tools. Especially in my case BW/LP combo. So it’s normal we want more, I’m not even sure Ampify devs realize their apps potential. I think this is why some of us feels angry sometimes about this long wishlist features, it seems that they don’t listen to us.

• Compressor in Blocs Wave. One that can do subtle, but also smash things up.

• @ChrisG said:
    Compressor in Blocs Wave. One that can do subtle, but also smash things up.

Also need presets for the EQ in Blocs.

• @Janosax: I agree with most points.We have no chance but to take the apps for what they are anyway.

@Janosax said:

In that case, I can record an acoustic part 30 or 40 times, seems normal to me this the way music production also has to be IMO, and this can be pretty fun, and gives some intensity and authenticity to instrument playing.
    OK, I understand where you come from. Why not. Sounds like you have enough time and patience to do that. Unfortunately I don't, not to speak of shuffled grooves where these slices just never fit.

• @Janosax said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Reading your post I’ve just tried REMIX LIVE, nice app it has a mixer etc one limit to me is they’re only 4 scenes of 6 loops on iPhone.

Also does Grooverider allow for record processed loops through Audiobus just like we do with Blocs Wave?

What do you mean allow for record processed loops?

Sorry probably just me not getting obvious question.