TON compared to PATTERNING

Can anyone summarize major differences in TON to PATTERNING?

How is TON CPU use?

Have you used more than drum sounds in it?

Any AB remote controls?

Overall opinion on it?

Saw Dean's vid and interested.

«1

Comments

  • @RUST( i )K said:
    Can anyone summarize major differences in TON to PATTERNING?

    How is TON CPU use?

    Have you used more than drum sounds in it?

    Any AB remote controls?

    Overall opinion on it?

    Saw Dean's vid and interested.

    So Ton is awesome as the parameter lock function is unlimited so you can really get an organic beat going.

    There are two teething problems which i have already informed the very nice developer.

    There is coloring of the sample imported, at first I thought this changed the pitch of the sample but I tested this by using sine waves and this is not the case, however if you import a kick drum there is a perceived difference in pitch. I say this as i have very acute hearing so maybe this is not an issue to others. There is a clear difference to me and if you are a kick drum/snare purist then you will notice. The colouring is probably due to filters or maybe the sample engine but I don't really know the cause, it might be ipad related, i have a Ipad pro first gen 9,7.
    I'm not sure if there will be a update for this as most people will not notice it.

    The other issue is a click/pop on the sample when sequenced, this happen sometimes regularly and some times irregularly. If you put a kick on 4 beats of the bar you will hear a click/pop on 1 of the beats. This is a bug which the developer will look into.

    I haven't noticed any cpu issues but i have stopped using the app due to the click/pop issue.

  • I thought ton was free

  • @Redo1 said:
    I thought ton was free

    Loading other samples instead of the "built-in" ones is an IAP.

  • I have used it with non-drum sounds and really liked it. The parameter locks are quite useful. I didn’t notice pops and clicks. You could definitely make tracks with it.

  • What the hell is TON?

  • @db909 said:
    What the hell is TON?

    It’s a drum machine that allows you to import your own samples. It has parameter locks.

  • @ALB said:

    @db909 said:
    What the hell is TON?

    It’s a drum machine that allows you to import your own samples. It has parameter locks.

    Can’t find it in the App Store , it must be iPad only

  • edited June 14

    @db909 said:
    What the hell is TON?

    Drum machine using samples very much in the style of an Elektron product in terms of parameter locks . Its free but you need to pay for the option of importing you own samples. It has a lot of potential! It is not a AUv3.

  • @db909 said:

    @ALB said:

    @db909 said:
    What the hell is TON?

    It’s a drum machine that allows you to import your own samples. It has parameter locks.

    Can’t find it in the App Store , it must be iPad only

    Hmmm, didn't know that. I'm an "iPad only" person.

  • @theinvisibleman said:

    @db909 said:
    What the hell is TON?

    Drum machine using samples very much in the style of an Elektron product in terms of parameter locks . Its free but you need to pay for the option of importing you own samples. It has a lot of potential! It is not a AUv3.

    Never heard of this one... What kind of parameters are available for locks? Fx/filter/speed/direction/start point?
    Thanks

  • edited June 14

    @Dawdles said:

    @theinvisibleman said:

    @db909 said:
    What the hell is TON?

    Drum machine using samples very much in the style of an Elektron product in terms of parameter locks . Its free but you need to pay for the option of importing you own samples. It has a lot of potential! It is not a AUv3.

    Never heard of this one... What kind of parameters are available for locks? Fx/filter/speed/direction/start point?
    Thanks

    Actually I believe all the parameters are available and that includes fx (delay/Reverb which are sends) pitch, env, pan, amp, level, filter, the samples can be changed/swapped per parameter step, there are no start/end points to mess with i'm afraid and no direction, there are changeable bar lengths per track and there are 8 tracks to give you polymetering. Also please note I did mention some small teething issues in my post earlier.

    Correction - it has 6 tracks not 8

  • @theinvisibleman said:

    @Dawdles said:

    @theinvisibleman said:

    @db909 said:
    What the hell is TON?

    Drum machine using samples very much in the style of an Elektron product in terms of parameter locks . Its free but you need to pay for the option of importing you own samples. It has a lot of potential! It is not a AUv3.

    Never heard of this one... What kind of parameters are available for locks? Fx/filter/speed/direction/start point?
    Thanks

    Actually I believe all the parameters are available and that includes fx (delay/Reverb which are sends) pitch, env, pan, amp, level, filter, the samples can be changed/swapped per parameter step, there are no start/end points to mess with i'm afraid and no direction, there are changeable bar lengths per track and there are 8 tracks to give you polymetering. Also please note I did mention some small teething issues in my post earlier.

    Thanks, sounds pretty good. Will track ddown some vids :)

  • edited June 14

    @Dawdles said:

    @theinvisibleman said:

    @Dawdles said:

    @theinvisibleman said:

    @db909 said:
    What the hell is TON?

    Drum machine using samples very much in the style of an Elektron product in terms of parameter locks . Its free but you need to pay for the option of importing you own samples. It has a lot of potential! It is not a AUv3.

    Never heard of this one... What kind of parameters are available for locks? Fx/filter/speed/direction/start point?
    Thanks

    Actually I believe all the parameters are available and that includes fx (delay/Reverb which are sends) pitch, env, pan, amp, level, filter, the samples can be changed/swapped per parameter step, there are no start/end points to mess with i'm afraid and no direction, there are changeable bar lengths per track and there are 8 tracks to give you polymetering. Also please note I did mention some small teething issues in my post earlier.

    Thanks, sounds pretty good. Will track ddown some vids :)

    Aha!!! I can plug a lovely youtube bloke.

  • No midi as far as I can see from description and manual. Deal breaker for me.

  • Patterning costs the same as this once you pay the $10 IAP to import your own samples.
    But Patterning does WAY more, has 8tracks not 6, and has Midi out.
    Seems like no competition for Patterning. (And P2 is just around the corner).
    This is fun for a freebie, though. Keeping my eye on it for further developments.

  • song mode?

  • Yes, song mode.

  • For natural drums I already need more than 8 tracks. I wish Patterning had more or at least a sample flip kind of thing. I find 3 high hat tracks essential for making it sound more natural. As for TON I only used the free app a little but did not like the UI at all. Didn’t care that much for parameter locks either, but it was kind of cool. Most important, I could not figure how to do anything but 4/4. If I can’t do whatever time I please one way or another, it’s not for me. Ton is free to try so try it! Patterning is not free to try.

  • Ton developer here.

    If you compare Ton to Patterning in terms of "feature checklist", I think Patterning has more. The vision for Ton isn't about that, it's actually the opposite: very few things, but a very cohesive whole.

    Since I'm biased, I won't dive in a comprehensive comparison with Patterning. I think it's a great app. Both offer very different workflows, and I think it's where the iPad is awesome. Making killer workflows, avoiding feature bloat like on computers.

    About MIDI and "missing" features: I'd love to do it and I started to work on it. I cannot give any release date, though.

    About sound "pops": I'm aware of it. They're not actually these awful glitches that destroy your work, they're more like a slight coloring of the sound (to make all the sound effects and parameter locks work together, a lot of work is done on samples, even if they're played verbatim.) It's only audible when you play one sample in isolation. In actual use, with several sounds happening, it's not noticeable and can even add a bit of "humanness" to the sound.

    About natural drums / track count limit: you can use parameter locks to get different samples on a single track. And you can load up to 128 samples in a project.

    Anyway, thank you for your feedback everyone, it's important for me. Hopefully I'll have time to improve Ton with it.

  • @jeremy said:
    About sound "pops": I'm aware of it. They're not actually these awful glitches that destroy your work, they're more like a slight coloring of the sound (to make all the sound effects and parameter locks work together, a lot of work is done on samples, even if they're played verbatim.) It's only audible when you play one sample in isolation. In actual use, with several sounds happening, it's not noticeable and can even add a bit of "humanness" to the sound.

    Do you have plan to remove this?

  • @tja said:

    @jeremy said:
    About sound "pops": I'm aware of it. They're not actually these awful glitches that destroy your work, they're more like a slight coloring of the sound (to make all the sound effects and parameter locks work together, a lot of work is done on samples, even if they're played verbatim.) It's only audible when you play one sample in isolation. In actual use, with several sounds happening, it's not noticeable and can even add a bit of "humanness" to the sound.

    Do you have plan to remove this?

    If I can be mitigated without messing with existing projects (some bugs have a tendency to become features…), yes. It's all about tradeoffs.

    I've come to actually appreciate this "coloring" as if it was from an old analog gear, but again, I'm biased. Does this coloring bothers you?

  • edited July 12

    @[Deleted User] said:

    @Dawdles said:

    @theinvisibleman said:

    @Dawdles said:

    @theinvisibleman said:

    @db909 said:
    What the hell is TON?

    Drum machine using samples very much in the style of an Elektron product in terms of parameter locks . Its free but you need to pay for the option of importing you own samples. It has a lot of potential! It is not a AUv3.

    Never heard of this one... What kind of parameters are available for locks? Fx/filter/speed/direction/start point?
    Thanks

    Actually I believe all the parameters are available and that includes fx (delay/Reverb which are sends) pitch, env, pan, amp, level, filter, the samples can be changed/swapped per parameter step, there are no start/end points to mess with i'm afraid and no direction, there are changeable bar lengths per track and there are 8 tracks to give you polymetering. Also please note I did mention some small teething issues in my post earlier.

    Thanks, sounds pretty good. Will track ddown some vids :)

    Aha!!! I can plug a lovely youtube bloke.

    Was hoping that we could have seen the pattern mode (song mode) in action..

    Looks great..

  • edited July 12

    Hi Jeremy
    Would it be possible to ad swing? 3,5,6,7 bar patterns could.also be very nice as a way of getting some polymeters going. I like the way ton sounds and the quick workflow. Very cool app!!!

  • I love ton honestly, I haven't paid to import my own samples, but it would deff get more use With that option... Maybe someday, but it's great.. In ways patterning isn't, and is so simple to get things going and start vibing out..
    Parameter locks are insanely good

  • Welcome @jeremy always good to have more developers around here.

  • can ton do quintuplets?

  • @jeremy said:

    @tja said:

    @jeremy said:
    About sound "pops": I'm aware of it. They're not actually these awful glitches that destroy your work, they're more like a slight coloring of the sound (to make all the sound effects and parameter locks work together, a lot of work is done on samples, even if they're played verbatim.) It's only audible when you play one sample in isolation. In actual use, with several sounds happening, it's not noticeable and can even add a bit of "humanness" to the sound.

    Do you have plan to remove this?

    If I can be mitigated without messing with existing projects (some bugs have a tendency to become features…), yes. It's all about tradeoffs.

    I've come to actually appreciate this "coloring" as if it was from an old analog gear, but again, I'm biased. Does this coloring bothers you?

    The little click sound on one of the beats is a bug to me and although slight it exists. I hope you find time to remove it as I really want to use it more as TON is currently the closest beat maker you can get to the electron style parameter locks. It is an exciting app.

  • @jeremy said:

    @tja said:

    @jeremy said:
    About sound "pops": I'm aware of it. They're not actually these awful glitches that destroy your work, they're more like a slight coloring of the sound (to make all the sound effects and parameter locks work together, a lot of work is done on samples, even if they're played verbatim.) It's only audible when you play one sample in isolation. In actual use, with several sounds happening, it's not noticeable and can even add a bit of "humanness" to the sound.

    Do you have plan to remove this?

    If I can be mitigated without messing with existing projects (some bugs have a tendency to become features…), yes. It's all about tradeoffs.

    I've come to actually appreciate this "coloring" as if it was from an old analog gear, but again, I'm biased. Does this coloring bothers you?

    The click is a bigger problem than the coloring.

    And you are right, the coloring can also be a feature.

    The best of both worlds would be to remove the click and to add a configuration setting to use or disable the coloring.
    :)

  • edited July 12

    This is one ton pattern at 44 bpm using only 3 samples
    I'd like to See ton get A mixer, to drop an entire channels level at once.

  • I'd like to see a sample slicer with transient detection with the option to put slices on pads keeping the pattern of the sample/loop as well as putting the slices on the pads without keeping the pattern.....

    this is the kind of thing I've been talking about.. feature implementation like this would put more money in the devs pocket without a doubt... and make this app infinitely more useful imho.

Sign In or Register to comment.