Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Huge 80s drum sound

Hi, I’ve been trying to get some huge 80s drum sounds in my recordings using DrumPerfect Pro and a variety of different reverbs and noise gates but just can’t get it to sound that good. Does anyone here have any tips or advice on how I could create that classic 80s sound in iOS?

Comments

• edited May 2018

• @Sam80s said:
    Hi, I’ve been trying to get some huge 80s drum sounds in my recordings using DrumPerfect Pro and a variety of different reverbs and noise gates but just can’t get it to sound that good. Does anyone here have any tips or advice on how I could create that classic 80s sound in iOS?

Have an example? Maybe I'm just old but I think of a few different 'big' 80s drums sounds. Erasure classic? Def Leppard classic? Phil Collins toms?

• edited May 2018

The default big 80s sound for me is quality set of LinnDrum samples (perhaps they’ll already have some compression or further eqing/processing added to help with the ‘bigness’). Then you really just need a reverb on the snare. ADverb recommended above is a good, cheap one for it.

Other substitutes for the Linn: Oberheim DX, Oberheim DMX, Drumtraks. They all have great snares for that big sound. Simmons drum machine probably has the most iconic toms, but the Linns when tuned down are somethin else.

Not entirely sure if this is what you were getting at or you were strictly talking about mixing in a track, but it’s always wise to start with great samples.

Edit: adding another video from Doug re: gating technique. Hope it helps.

• The Elka Drumstar 80 is quite nice :)

Good kit of the Elka Drumstar 80 can be found here...
    http://samples.kb6.de/downloads.php

The 80s kit in the latest SampleRadar pack is quite nice too.
    https://www.musicradar.com/news/sampleradar-494-free-essential-drum-kit-samples

• @Samu said:
    The Elka Drumstar 80 is quite nice :)

Good kit of the Elka Drumstar 80 can be found here...
    http://samples.kb6.de/downloads.php

The 80s kit in the latest SampleRadar pack is quite nice too.
    https://www.musicradar.com/news/sampleradar-494-free-essential-drum-kit-samples

Cool! Was not aware of this one. Although I will always lust after an Elka Synthex.

• @syrupcore said:

@Sam80s said:

Have an example? Maybe I'm just old but I think of a few different 'big' 80s drums sounds. Erasure classic? Def Leppard classic? Phil Collins toms?

Good point, examples would have been smart. Def Leppard would be at the top of my list, fo sure. Hysteria is an all time favourite. I get that Mutt Lange is a genius so I’d be happy with a drum sound that’s just pretty close to that.

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses, I honestly thought I’d be stuck trying to figure this out by myself for a while. I do get how gated reverb works, it’s just getting it to work well is another story right now. I can’t even find a good noise gate app lol (I’m not using Cubasis cause I don’t have the money right now, so that Steinberg noise gate seems to be off the table)

• @Sam80s said:

@syrupcore said:

@Sam80s said:

Good point, examples would have been smart. Def Leppard would be at the top of my list, fo sure. Hysteria is an all time favourite. I get that Mutt Lange is a genius so I’d be happy with a drum sound that’s just pretty close to that.

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses, I honestly thought I’d be stuck trying to figure this out by myself for a while. I do get how gated reverb works, it’s just getting it to work well is another story right now. I can’t even find a good noise gate app lol (I’m not using Cubasis cause I don’t have the money right now, so that Steinberg noise gate seems to be off the table)

Yeah, Mutt Lange is hard to appify! Just from memory, I feel like that record has a lot of reverse reverb on it. Often just blended in to make each hit more gargantuan.

• @Sam80s said:

@syrupcore said:

@Sam80s said:

Maaaan, I just heard ‘Love Bites’ for the first time a couple months ago. Whoa. Those first verse lyrics, and then when the bass kicks in on the second verse...chills. Mutt Lange IS a genius.

• Try to mix snare and low tom hits (seriously) and soak the blend with a lexicon-style gated reverb. If you have Auria Pro, you can look for a lexicon impulse response to use with its convolution reverb and dial the built-in noise gate really hard.

• The largest "snare" ever recorded? Listening on purpose, no recipe's come to mind but lots of interesting (to me) things stand out.

• Extra vocal "hits" with the snares. Even a weirdo "Hey, what should we do with this Fairlight?" mini-squeaks on each snare hit of the intro fill.
    • Lots of layers. And those layers change in different parts of the song. They made this on tape??????
    • Main snare is big and deep. Almost a tom. Definitely not some 90s piccolo snare.
    • Some layers are panned out
    • Lots of space in general. Room for big snares.
    • Definitely lots of "snare on 2 and snare+tom on 4" sections.

I imagine there are interviews out there that detail their process on this but I guess is it's some combination of sampling and assembling huge sounds from the get-go, live triggering those sounds and then 80s mix tricks like gated snare, etc.

Aside from the snares... fucking hell there are a lot of weird noises in that song! It's absolute Fairlight madness. On a Def Leppard record? I detested this record in high school (when it came out, yep) but now my nerd vein is pulsing a bit. Might just have to try the entirety.