Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New app.harmonizr.

Sorry,can’t copy link!
Harmonizr de « Matthew Robbins »

Comments

• It’s interesting that it supports using manual harmonization at the same time as automatic harmonization, up to 14 voices.

Are there any other harmonizers on iOS that allow this kind of Jacob Collier-style manual MIDI control?

• This really needs a demo video.

• No connect for this one? Just midi in?

• This appears to be MIDI in only, no IAA or AU. The MIDI is velocity sensitive for individual notes. I wish there was a manual for the app. The settings aren’t very intuitive. I’m not sure if it’s possible to turn off the auto-harmonization and do manual only. Perhaps that’s what the Live Select toggle does, I’m not sure.

• @CracklePot said:
    No connect for this one? Just midi in?

Yes, it definitely needs connectivity. 2018 everyone!

• The app’s support link goes to harmonizr.com which redirects to https://www.mattrobbinsmusic.com so apparently this was created by someone who is primarily a musician.

I’m hoping that having its own domain name means eventually there will be better communication about the app.

• He may not know about the Audiobus forum. He could get a ton of input here to improve his app.

• edited May 2018

@orand said:
    This appears to be MIDI in only, no IAA or AU. The MIDI is velocity sensitive for individual notes. I wish there was a manual for the app. The settings aren’t very intuitive. I’m not sure if it’s possible to turn off the auto-harmonization and do manual only. Perhaps that’s what the Live Select toggle does, I’m not sure.

IAA Support is there already. You have to enable background audio with the toggle on the top right to activate it.

• @Munibeast said:

@orand said:
    This appears to be MIDI in only, no IAA or AU. The MIDI is velocity sensitive for individual notes. I wish there was a manual for the app. The settings aren’t very intuitive. I’m not sure if it’s possible to turn off the auto-harmonization and do manual only. Perhaps that’s what the Live Select toggle does, I’m not sure.

IAA Support is there already. You have to enable background audio with the toggle on the top right to activate it.

Okay!
    Thanks for the info.

• @Munibeast said:

@orand said:

Oh! It appears as an effect, not a source instrument! Works great in AUM now with various synths as input. Thanks!

• @orand said:

@Munibeast said:

@orand said:

Oh! It appears as an effect, not a source instrument! Works great in AUM now with various synths as input. Thanks!

How does it sound? Pretty good with no unwanted or annoying artifacts or noises? Would you recommend it?

• I’m really not qualified to say. This is the first harmonizer I’ve used.

However, I had fun hooking up my Blue Yeti and a MIDI controller and imitating this:

Using this:
    https://musescore.com/user/6001661/scores/4051521

And this:

Using this:
    https://musescore.com/user/1419976/scores/3413356

I set Harmonizr to Chromatic, turned off autotune, and selected the first out of the 4 levels of harmonization to avoid added harmonies other than what I play via MIDI.

Plugging headphones into the iPad instead of the Blue Yeti is recommended to not overpower the harmonized voices with the direct mic monitoring sound.

• @orand said:
    I’m really not qualified to say. This is the first harmonizer I’ve used.

However, I had fun hooking up my Blue Yeti and a MIDI controller and imitating this:

Using this:

And this:

Using this:
    https://musescore.com/user/1419976/scores/3413356

I set Harmonizr to Chromatic, turned off autotune, and selected the first out of the 4 levels of harmonization to avoid added harmonies other than what I play via MIDI.

Plugging headphones into the iPad instead of the Blue Yeti is recommended to not overpower the harmonized voices with the direct mic monitoring sound.

Thanks for the response. It is much appreciated!

• @orand said:
    I’m really not qualified to say. This is the first harmonizer I’ve used.

Using this:

And this:

Holy Shite!!! I’ll finally be able to sing!
    (Provided I can play my keyboards right)

• This looks like a wonderful app, but man do I miss Improvox.

• Need a manual or at least a 'set up' video....bit puzzling, but pregnant with possibilities Nurse...

• What's the cheapest way to get MIDI and a decent mic into an iPad at the same time with Audiobus3?

Use a USB Hub?

iConnectAUDIO4+?

• @McDtracy said:
    What's the cheapest way to get MIDI and a decent mic into an iPad at the same time with Audiobus3?

Use a USB Hub?

iConnectAUDIO4+?

I remembered my iRig guitar input dongle that goes into the headphone jack and put a mic in there. The iRig Dongle has
    a headphone out port so I'm loving the effect on my vocals
    and driving the harmony with a MIDI controller.

Nothing like this in the App Store is there? I've looked before and come up empty.

This a great App for cheap Jacob Collier, Imogen Heap or Laurie Anderson inspired "robo choir" vocals. Definitely worth the $5.

A lot to play with pumping effect layered guitar, violin, etc into this app as an additional Fx unit with AUM/AudioBus3. Shows up in AUM as an Effect Unit. Awesome job developer(s).

• @McDtracy said:

@McDtracy said:
    What's the cheapest way to get MIDI and a decent mic into an iPad at the same time with Audiobus3?

Use a USB Hub?

iConnectAUDIO4+?

I remembered my iRig guitar input dongle that goes into the headphone jack and put a mic in there. The iRig Dongle has

Nothing like this in the App Store is there? I've looked before and come up empty.

This a great App for cheap Jacob Collier, Imogen Heap or Laurie Anderson inspired "robo choir" vocals. Definitely worth the $5.

A lot to play with pumping effect layered guitar, violin, etc into this app as an additional Fx unit with AUM/AudioBus3. Shows up in AUM as an Effect Unit. Awesome job developer(s).

That’s it. I’m buying. B)

• edited May 2018

@CracklePot said:

@McDtracy said:

@McDtracy said:

Use a USB Hub?

iConnectAUDIO4+?

That’s it. I’m buying. B)

That’s it. I’m need a tut! B)

• Orand! Thanks for the advice!

I set Harmonizr to "Chromatic" (rather rather chord or diatonic)

turned off "autotune" (Yes, Kanye, it has autotune for bad pitch)

selected the first out of the 4 levels of harmonization to avoid >added harmonies other than what I play via MIDI.

some of those higher levels are frickin' awesome but for just what you play this is KEY

Plugging headphones into the iPad instead of the Blue Yeti

OK... now I need to look into the Blue Yeti or the iConnectivity4+ to be able to use a good Phantom Powered MIC via and XLR cable. But the basic Condenser mic using an XLR/Phono adapter
    sound great and that mic has an on/off switch for handy use adding the choir on the chorus with a click.

• Hi All,
    Author of the app here. Just heard about this forum. So glad that people are figuring out how to use the app! Don't fear, I have some videos on the way :)

Just for the record, I have been using this app on gigs for a while, and I have a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 that I use with the app via the "camera connection kit" USB adapter. It gets you MIDI plus audio I/O that you can plug into the PA. I imagine almost any class-compliant USB device would work in this way. I'd be interested to see what kind of results other people get.

Also, It's great to hear the critiques. Sorry it's not more intuitive, but my hope is to get there. You know what they say, "release early, release often".

For now, I'd mostly recommend playing around with presets. "diatonic" works well for me for layering harmonies on top of manual, or for auto-harmony with MIDI-detected key center.

The MIDI harmony detector is pretty rudimentary thus far, and doesn't really handle polychords or anything. Mostly just looks for a root triad, but it's still enough to get a decent effect most of the time.

I'd be really curious to see what people come up with in the preset editor. Basically it allows you to set your own harmonization table for the auto voices. If you don't like the presets, you can save your own and use them instead!

Best of luck, and happy harmonizing!
    Cheers,
    Matt

• @MattRobbins said:
    Hi All,
    Author of the app here. Just heard about this forum. So glad that people are figuring out how to use the app! Don't fear, I have some videos on the way :)

Just for the record, I have been using this app on gigs for a while, and I have a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 that I use with the app via the "camera connection kit" USB adapter. It gets you MIDI plus audio I/O that you can plug into the PA. I imagine almost any class-compliant USB device would work in this way. I'd be interested to see what kind of results other people get.

Also, It's great to hear the critiques. Sorry it's not more intuitive, but my hope is to get there. You know what they say, "release early, release often".

For now, I'd mostly recommend playing around with presets. "diatonic" works well for me for layering harmonies on top of manual, or for auto-harmony with MIDI-detected key center.

The MIDI harmony detector is pretty rudimentary thus far, and doesn't really handle polychords or anything. Mostly just looks for a root triad, but it's still enough to get a decent effect most of the time.

I'd be really curious to see what people come up with in the preset editor. Basically it allows you to set your own harmonization table for the auto voices. If you don't like the presets, you can save your own and use them instead!

Best of luck, and happy harmonizing!
    Cheers,
    Matt

Is there a way to use it in JI? Say, send it MIDI with pitchbend from Thumbjam or something?

• @MattRobbins
    Welcome. Love the app and looking forward to where you take it.
    I suggest updating the AppStore description to include mention of AU fx and IAA fx support. Looks like AU midi too. Many folks may pass on purchasing if they don't see this in the description. Also a manual would be great. Lots of potential with this app.

• @MattRobbins Welcome indeed Mister Matt and congrats on the app. Forgive us if you get a lot of requests and suggestions :) This place is (generally) very civil and is a great pot for user research (if'n it doesn't drive you mad :) )....I like the idea of this app a lot (why I bought it...), but am one of the slower brethren so am going to need a short video probably to understand the connections and scope......I would suggest if you haven't done so already that you consider sending a code along to our friend Doug @thesoundtestroom. not sure if he would choose to demo your app but it would certainly be a great help to the kids at the back of the class (as it would be to getting exposure for your app as well :) ).

• Hi @MattRobbins and welcome to the forum. I sit behind @JohnnyGoodyear in the same class, some people call it the cupboard, but yeah all of his suggestions are sound and would help shift a few units round here. I’m fence sitting for the moment but would only take a slight nudge to get fully signed up.

• Hi All!
    Just wanted to send a quick update. I have put up a demo video on youTube, It's linked from the Harmonizr website https://www.harmonizr.com as well, which I'm actively fleshing out. Thanks so much for all your support!

• That video is a great demonstration, and the detailed help documentation at https://www.harmonizr.com/help/ really filled in the gaps for me, particularly how the inversions panel works. Nicely done, thanks for doing it!