Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

previewing midi clips

which daw(like) app offers a convenient way of previewing gm midi clips? i got loads of midi drum clips i want to make good use of. if the app can host my own samples that'd be an extra bonus but no must have but then midi out is a must. link enabled apps prefered!
oh yeah and some folder structure is crucial which rules out Cubasis...

Comments

• I use xequence in combination with Roland Sound Canvas. It's very good, it has files.app integration but you can not have sub folders.

Sweet Midi Player is very good too, I think it is free. It has an iap, but I use it without it. It has Files.app integration and you can have sub folders. It has a search funktion too. You can export the selected midi file to other apps or save in the files app. It also has midi out.

• From what I understand @dermichl, you would like to hear a preview while you browse MIDI files in the file browser? If so then that’s a very interesting idea... it has probably not been implemented anywhere because with MIDI, you’re essentially dealing with “unpreviewable” data and a lot of assumptions would have to be made to make a generic preview available...

• Audioshare?

• edited May 2018

@SevenSystems said:
    From what I understand @dermichl, you would like to hear a preview while you browse MIDI files in the file browser? If so then that’s a very interesting idea... it has probably not been implemented anywhere because with MIDI, you’re essentially dealing with “unpreviewable” data and a lot of assumptions would have to be made to make a generic preview available...

the idea is due to a lack in workflow over here. i do have many midi drum clips and even more drum samples. but i couldn't find a decent solution to play this midi clips (at least loop one clip although a song mode wouldn't heart either) and browse through them in order to find an appropriate one to jam along with my guitar...

just to be precise on the workflow: i'm looking for something that can download a bunch of clips from dropbox at once ideally preserving file and folder structure and clips must be selectable by touching only NO drag'n'drop allowed!

• @dermichl yeah, the problem with previewing is that the user would have to configure certain defaults (MIDI destination to send the preview data to, etc.), but I’ll take note of this for a possible Xequence update if you didn’t patent it yet ;)

• @Jocphone said:
    Audioshare?

i couldn't get Audioshare to play gm midi clips.

• @SevenSystems said:
    @dermichl yeah, the problem with previewing is that the user would have to configure certain defaults (MIDI destination to send the preview data to, etc.), but I’ll take note of this for a possible Xequence update if you didn’t patent it yet ;)

Woah!!! Tolle Idee!!!

I am all in! Have a bunch of midi files and it’s a pain to get to a quick listen Of these loops...

• @dermichl said:

@Jocphone said:
    Audioshare?

i couldn't get Audioshare to play gm midi clips.

Wouldn't play at all?

Never had a problem playing MIDI clips but haven't used it for a while.

• free player w/ midi out:
    bismark m16 by bismark LLC

• edited May 2018

Another nice but certainly unconventional way would be to import all your MIDI clips into Genome Midi, preview them using bs-16i or any other GM sound module in the background and open the desired one in the app of your choice using Export > Open in...
    You'll see 49 Midi clips on one screen but it can hold a lot more, you'd simply scroll down.
    By enabling Midi remote per clip, you could even trigger them individually by keyboard Midi notes for faster preview, and even in sync with another app if you enable Midi clock receiving or Ableton Link.
    No folder structure though. You could have a similar function by saving clip collections as individual songs named like the folder they're from.

• Free iOS midi file player:MidiOnstage

midi out was recently added I think

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midionstage/id962042556?mt=8

• @rs2000 said:
    Another nice but certainly unconventional way would be to import all your MIDI clips into Genome Midi, preview them using bs-16i or any other GM sound module in the background and open the desired one in the app of your choice using Export > Open in...
    You'll see 49 Midi clips on one screen but it can hold a lot more, you'd simply scroll down.
    By enabling Midi remote per clip, you could even trigger them individually by keyboard Midi notes for faster preview, and even in sync with another app if you enable Midi clock receiving or Ableton Link.
    No folder structure though. You could have a similar function by saving clip collections as individual songs named like the folder they're from.

good call, but it seems i had to "open in" each clip individually, hadn't i?

• Yes, the one(s) you decide to use must be "opened in X" individually.
    At least it's a rather quick way to try out small clips in-sync with another app or hardware.

• @yowza said:
    Free iOS midi file player:MidiOnstage

midi out was recently added I think

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midionstage/id962042556?mt=8

Thanks for the tip, I was able to rout MIDI with this app to a beatmaker 3 project and record it. This was,what I am looking for :)
    Although I would love a quicker way of previewing my midi files. Maybe putting them all into the MidiOnStage app or so

• Roland Sound Canvas