Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What is AUv3?

Another question everybody but me and two other cats (chicks) knows the answer to:
What exactly is AUv3 and how does it differ from IAA and why the hoopla?
Cracklepot once mentioned IAA workflow and AUv3 workflow. How do they differ?

Another newbie question from the people who brought you the threads "New Category?" and "Sidechain Propaganda".

Comments

• The biggest and most important difference is you can use as many instances of an AUv3 plugin as your device can handle, while IAA can only run a single instance.
    • Also, an AUv3 will (or at least should) save the state it's in when you save a session in a host like Auria, Cubasis, BM3, AUM ... IAA's don't do that and you have to set them up each time. (Unless used in conjunction with AudioBus and they actually implement AB state saving)
    • IAA's are full screen, so you need to switch completely out of the host to get to them. AUv3 plugins open in a window in the host.
    • AUv3's don't usually have a keyboard - they usually rely on the host to provide that.
    • At this point, only a few special AUv3's have midi-out, a new ability added by Apple
    • AUv3's usually expose their parameters by name rather than relying only on midi cc's to assign external control.
  • Thanks, Wim. Clear as a sine wave, as usual. Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does "instance" mean? I have seen it used and imagine it might mean you can use the instrument or effect on more than one track... but then again, maybe not!

• @LinearLineman said:
    ...imagine it might mean you can use the instrument or effect on more than one track... but then again, maybe not!

Nope, you got it :)

• Ok, rereading Wim's post... I don't get how an AU is useful if it doesn't have a midi out? How do you connect in this wonderful world of iOS except by midi?

• Wait a second...is this a case where midi in really means midi out? GHM!

• @LinearLineman said:
    Wait a second...is this a case where midi in really means midi out? GHM!

If you have come to iOS midi from playing live music and recording into some kind of central console — the 24-track recording studio paradigm — it may take some time to learn your left from right.

Essential to remember this: Midi is NOT sound. It is instructions to make sound.

For example. A sequencer like Modstep must send midi data OUT to the various instruments it is sequencing. These instruments must receive midi IN: they must be told what notes to play at what tempo and in what order, etc.
    An app that send midi OUT is capable of being the conductor of the orchestra; an app that receives midi IN is a performer that plays what it's told.

But it doesn't end there. A number of expressive music apps, like Animoog, also have midi OUT. This allows you to record midi into a sequencer by playing Animoog's expressive keyboard.

Where it always got confusing for me is it seems that the instrument sequenced by Modstep is sending sound IN to Modstep. But that's not midi IN.

Caveat: I could be 100 percent wrong and have it backwards entirely.

• Just for example (and I have no experience with this) - http://ruismaker.com/odessa/

These are AUv3s that sequence other iOS apps. These don’t make sounds, so in that sense they are conductors in @ExAsperis99 ‘s example. An AUv3 that’s a generator doesn’t really need midi out because it’s always going to be the destination for midi instructions.

This isn’t to say it COULDN’T do both - but, in most cases your host app is providing the “housing” for the AUv3 to live in (keyboard, routing etc) and you just play it as a sound module.

• IAA => records Audio in host app
    AU => records MIDI in host app (editable)

• Ok, I am pretty confused. Let's say I want to use a controller keyboard to play Fugue Machine playing the igrand piano and sending it to Cubasis to record an audio track....
    My controller keybd needs to be recognized by FM and receives midi info from the keybd (midi out) to FM (midi in). The igrand is set up as an IAA instrument so needs no midi data in or out... But if FM has no midi out how do I get it to Cubasis without using Aum or AB? Or can I?

• @LinearLineman said:
    Ok, I am pretty confused. Let's say I want to use a controller keyboard to play Fugue Machine playing the igrand piano and sending it to Cubasis to record an audio track....
    My controller keybd needs to be recognized by FM and receives midi info from the keybd (midi out) to FM (midi in). The igrand is set up as an IAA instrument so needs no midi data in or out... But if FM has no midi out how do I get it to Cubasis without using Aum or AB? Or can I?

You got it all right except the last sentence. You wanted to record audio in Cubasis, so you send audio there, not midi.

• edited May 2018

Fugue Machine isn't a great example. It is, strictly speaking, a sequencer. You wouldn't "play" it from an external keyboard. It does have midi out; you can point it at iGrand Piano and instruct it to play those sounds.

To record the audio into Cubasis, you simply load iGrand Piano in an audio track (under routing, choose AudioBus and select it from the available IAAs listed there). Fugue Machine doesn't enter into Cubasis at all. If you wanted to use Volt instead of iGrand, you would send midi from FM into Volt and then load Volt in a Cubasis audio track.

Now if you want to record the midi from Fugue Machine into Cubasis (where you can edit it and try out different sounds), you'll need to create a midi track in Cubasis and choose FM from the available mid inupts. You can STILL record the audio from iGrand Piano, but there will also be a midi track. (In Fugue Machine, you'll need to select each individual playhead to send to Cubasis; like a lot of iOS midi, it's not entirely logical. What works in one app may not work in the next.)
    Better expressed below.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Ok, I am pretty confused. Let's say I want to use a controller keyboard to play Fugue Machine playing the igrand piano and sending it to Cubasis to record an audio track....

Playing a controller that’s playing Fugue machine that’s playing Igrand that’s being recorded into cubasis. Seems like there’s an extra cook in the kitchen. I’m sure this possible though from what you describe.

• I'm sorry, @LinearLineman if this is confusing. There are many, many conversations with patient people here trying to teach me how to get my ducks in a row. It is not remotely logical. I'm not really adept at making movies, but if I have a free moment this weekend, I'll give it a go.

• wimwim
    edited May 2018

There are at least a couple of ways to go about this

• Set up an Audio Track in Cubasis
    • Under Routing for the track, Mono input to Inter-App Audio, and select iM1 (Gen) from the list.
    • The audio will play through Cubasis, and when you record, the audio will appear in the track.
    • This is the simplest conceptually.

or

• Set up a Midi Track in Cubasis
    • Select iM1 (Inst) as the instrument
    • [Edit] Select Fugue Machine MIDI Out in the top slot under Routing on the track in Cubasis
    • When you press record in Cubasis this time, you'll hear iM1 playing through Cubasis, but when you record, the midi data will be captured, not the audio. You could then play back the track in cubasis, which would trigger iM1 to play without further need of your keyboard or Fugue Machine.
    • To record the actual audio you then need to freeze or mix-down the track.
    • The advantage is you can edit the midi.

Involving AUM and AudioBus is also possible, and has advantages in certain circumstances, but is more complicated than the two above if all you want to do is capture output to Cubasis.

• theres some seriously confusing stuff going around in this thread!

maybe I can try to simplify:

-- AUv3 -- IAA -- Audiobus --

These are the three main options for routing live signals for creating music on iOS. These signals can be audio (actual digitally created live sound files) or MIDI (real-time instructions for notes or other parameters)

IAA and Audiobus have been around a few years. They are separate systems for routing audio and MIDI data between iOS apps for creating sounds, routing sound, and adding live effects to sounds. Apps with IAA or Audiobus will always work as a single, standalone app for creating audio, recording audio or adding effects to mic input.

Apps that are compatible with Audiobus will be able to route signals through the Audiobus app, which always must be the host.

Apps compatible with IAA will be able to route audio to/from an IAA host. IAA is the official Apple/iOS designed audio routing system. There are many hosting options including something like GarageBand, Cubasis, Auria, Beatmaker 3, AUM, even a simple host is built inside AudioShare.

AUv3 is the latest hotness. It can work a lot like IAA and AB by routing MIDI and or audio inside of an AUv3 host app. Some differences that make it exciting:
    * AUv3 does not require a standalone app. (maybe easier to build/create the app?? not sure)
    * AUv3 apps work more like "plugins" on a Mac/PC.
    * AUv3 can be opened more than one instance inside a host. This is the clencher, because IAA and AB is limited to each app being opened only once.

For example:

• Animoog is an AB/ IAA synth. you can open it once, play around, etc. Then you can get serious and record it in an AB/ IAA host. You can even use MIDI to automate or sequence Animoog, or use a physical MIDI keyboard/controller to play it. Cool!
    • Model 15 is this too, it can do all the above... but it is also AUv3. In addition to the above, you could put Model 15 in an AUv3 host, open up 4 synth patches and program them to all play at once with a sequencer or with external MIDI controlling each instance.

(I know bad example because Model 15 uses a lot of resources, and 4 instances would probably crash any iOS device but you get the idea)

• @powerobject said:
    IAA => records Audio in host app
    AU => records MIDI in host app (editable)

true... but this is also true :tongue:

AU => records Audio in host app
    IAA => records MIDI in host app (editable)

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I'm sorry, @LinearLineman if this is confusing. There are many, many conversations with patient people here trying to teach me how to get my ducks in a row. It is not remotely logical. I'm not really adept at making movies, but if I have a free moment this weekend, I'll give it a go.

I'll try to find some time to record a video of myself typing out a long and confusing tutorial.

• @wim said:

or

• When you press record in Cubasis this time, you'll hear iM1 playing through Cubasis, but when you record, the midi data will be captured, not the audio. You could then play back the track in cubasis, which would trigger iM1 to play without further need of your keyboard or Fugue Machine.

This is news to me! I though you needed to send the midi from Fugue Machine. This is much more elegant.

I'm going to delete my post since I think you, Wim, and Hmtx have said it more clearly.

• wimwim
    edited May 2018

@ExAsperis99 said:

@wim said:

or

This is news to me! I though you needed to send the midi from Fugue Machine. This is much more elegant.

I'm going to delete my post since I think you, Wim, and Hmtx have said it more clearly.

Hold the phone on that one. You do still need to send the data from Fugue Machine to Cubasis. I left that out in my hurry. Edited. Sorry, I shouldn't post without doing a full test. Supposed to be working tho...

Once you've recorded the midi into Cubasis, though you no longer need Fugue Machine as the input source.

• no, you’re right! The instrument added as a midi track writes the midi in cubasis!

• Well, this is all fascinating. If I am understanding correctly, I would not set up Fugue with igrand but set up igrand in Cubasis as a midi track. If I set it up in midi I would eventually have to convert it to audio to avoid having to reset the igrand as an instrument in the track (or save the setup). My keybd controller sends midi to Fugue and I am guessing that Fugue will show up in Cubasis somewhere as a routing choice thanks to IAA (do you have to make a particular midi out setting in Fugue to accomplish this?). No AUM or AB necessary.

You know I grew up in a world that still used carburetors!
    Thanks for bearing with me!