Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Video app

Is there a camera app that shoots high res video in landscape whilst holding the phone in portrait ?

Comments

• oh now you wanna ask video related questions lol

• @enc: that’s not possible because the sensor isn’t square.

• edited May 2018

:lol: @shazaam

I've actually always wondered the same thing @enc
    the sensor is a non-factor because any camera with 3 megapixel [edit: you need 5 megapixel] resolution or more has capacity to record 1080p in either direction if you flip it sideways. So why don't phone makers default to recording 16:9 landscape video regardless of how you hold it?

• or there should at least be a 3rd party app that could do this for us, haven't seen one yet.

• @hmtx I was assuming that by “High res”, the OP meant “at full resolution”... if you are happy with a lower resolution, then all you really need to do is record the video normally in portrait, and then crop it to landscape. iMovie does this easily — just create a new project, import the video, select the clip and then zoom in by pinching the video preview until it fills the preview area.

• But aren’t you already shooting in landscape while in portrait mode? It is just the frame is rotated 90 degrees CW or CCW, depending on how you hold the phone. It seems the same as recording with a regular video camera, if you rotate the camera, the frame rotates. You just rotate it back to correct orientation in post.

• edited May 2018

right, so if you record 1080p vertical 9:16 and then crop the video later you get a 1080width x 607height resolution 16:9 video at best. thats not ideal. thats not even 720p or meeting basic HD standards.

I guess you could record 4k vertical and get at least 1080p landscape out of it cropped...

anyway, the point is that if a camera app was designed correctly, it could record 1920 x 1080 based on a 5k sensor no matter what orientation the sensor is.

• Cameras traditionally have an up direction. That is how you get frame rotation. If the sensor keeps flipping orientation, that would be extremely limiting to cinematographers. It drives me nuts when using photo mode. I never shoot video in portrait, though.

Portrait orientation only makes sense for photos. Video is nearly always in a landscape orientation, probably because it is the most immersive for an audience, seeing as how that is how our natural field of vision works.

• edited May 2018

@CracklePot said:
    But aren’t you already shooting in landscape while in portrait mode? It is just the frame is rotated 90 degrees CW or CCW, depending on how you hold the phone. It seems the same as recording with a regular video camera, if you rotate the camera, the frame rotates. You just rotate it back to correct orientation in post.

Except that then, people on the street will stick out of it sideways ;) you won't win the war against geometry! :dizzy: Again: the sensor isn't square (to the best of my knowledge at least), so if you rotate it, vertical and horizontal resolutions swap.

But on a general note: If it were for me to decide, I would have iOS automatically self-destruct the phone if anyone tries to shoot video in portrait orientation, or at the very least (realistic option), put a big fat warning message on the screen "Video should be shot in landscape orientation. Are you sure you want to record in portrait?".

Funnily enough, the deadly sin of vertical video is now so widespread because of that missing warning dialog that it turned into a "hype". Strange world... :)

EDIT: there's only two ways to solve this problem: 1) make the sensor square, with the maximum desired resolution for either axis in **both ** dimensions, or 2) make the sensor rotatable by 90 degrees (physically, in hardware, with an actuator).

• edited May 2018

@enc said:
    Is there a camera app that shoots high res video in landscape whilst holding the phone in portrait ?

Try out Vue or Horizon Camera.

• @SevenSystems said:
    @enc: that’s not possible because the sensor isn’t square.

Ahh ;)

• @SevenSystems said:
    @hmtx I was assuming that by “High res”, the OP meant “at full resolution”..

yes, at least 1080 :)

• I guess you could record 4k vertical and get at least 1080p landscape out of it cropped...

bit of a faff .. but yeah :)

• @SevenSystems said:

But on a general note: If it were for me to decide, I would have iOS automatically self-destruct the phone if anyone tries to shoot video in portrait orientation, or at the very least (realistic option), put a big fat warning message on the screen "Video should be shot in landscape orientation. Are you sure you want to record in portrait?".

).

yup :D

• I am one who happily records in portrait, because I use the resulting videosnippets arranged side by side (1, 2, 3, or4) inside vdmx for further manipulation... .

• I only use SunVox now because I prefer portrait mode sequencers. ;)

• Horizon Camera von Horizon Video Technologies

Took me a while to search but I knew I had it downloaded back in the days :)

• @david_2017 said:
    Horizon Camera von Horizon Video Technologies

Took me a while to search but I knew I had it downloaded back in the days :)

cheers david ill have a look at it.