Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Preparing to move to new IPAD PRO

Hi,

I recently acquired a 5th gen IPAD. I purchased a few music apps including Cubasis. I also recorded midi files in cubasis and purchased a few expansion packs for NOISE and Beathawk. I wish to give my son this 5th Gen Ipad and buy a new IPAD PRO (6th Gen) for more storage etc.

What is the easiest way for me to transfer all purchased content and recorded data to the new IPAD?

I am new to IOS and not too familiar with everything. I know ICLOUD exists and not sure if ICLOUD Backup setting for Cubasis will also backup all my Midi data in Cubasis when that setting is turned on.

Goal is to reset the current IPAD and enter my son's account info and icloud username/password etc. Then get new IPAD and not lose anything.

Thanks!

Comments

• First step is to stop writing “iPad” and “Pro” in all-caps.

• You would think an iTunes backup would be the thing but I believe it doesn’t back up app specific documents and data (like your MIDI files).

You may be stuck with dealing with each app separately and moving the information to and from something like Dropbox (if there is no native cloud storage option).

For IAPs there will be the “restore purchases” option in app. Or should be ...

I moved from one iPad to another with this combination.

• ITunes is rubbish. The best thing is iMazing. You can buy this from their website, for Mac or PC.

https://imazing.com/download

• In the past when I’ve done this, when you set up the new iPad it’s going to ask if you want to restore from a backup that’s in the cloud (supposing you have iCloud backups on which I am pretty sure is the default now anyways). If you use that option I am pretty sure it restores EVERYTHING. I remember restoring a backup to my new phone a few years back and all my Nanostudio projects and etc came right back down no problems.

Just to be safe, maybe just get the new iPad first, do the restore then do a quick side by side while you still have both devices in your possession?

• @icsleepers said:

it’s going to ask if you want to restore from a backup that’s in the cloud (supposing you have iCloud backups on which I am pretty sure is the default now anyways). If you use that option I am pretty sure it restores EVERYTHING.
    >

iCloud is something you have to agree to during setup, I believe, and also has limited space without paying more. So many people will be backing up to a hard drive. If not because of price, then to ensure access to that backup.

• @icsleepers said:
    Just to be safe, maybe just get the new iPad first, do the restore then do a quick side by side while you still have both devices in your possession?

highly recommended - never rely on supposed functionality in backup/restore
    it WILL fail if it can fail, Murphy prooved it thousands of times o:)

• @Zen210507 said:
    iCloud is something you have to agree to during setup, I believe, and also has limited space without paying more. So many people will be backing up to a hard drive. If not because of price, then to ensure access to that backup.

Ahh yeah, I forgot out of the box you only get 5gb? Which is laughable. So yeah unless you’re using a size model that will actually back up all your stuff my method is no good :( and good point on the external drive. I’ve been using cloud backups for years now, but believe when I say I’m still leary about it that it’s the truth...

• @icsleepers said:
    Ahh yeah, I forgot out of the box you only get 5gb? Which is laughable. So yeah unless you’re using a size model that will actually back up all your stuff my method is no good :( and good point on the external drive. I’ve been using cloud backups for years now, but believe when I say I’m still leary about it that it’s the truth...

>

Absolutely. The one thing we can all be sure of, is if we really need the Cloud, that’s the day it falls over. :)

Ideally, finances allowing, a Cloud back up and a back up to an HDD would keep the OP covered.

• edited May 2018

I went from iPad 2 to iPad 4 to iPad Air 2 using iCloud to restore from the old iPad to the new one each time and the process was flawless. It's also easy and painless. All my stuff was restored, all my projects, samples, everything.

Bear in mind that the iCloud storage is only needed for documents and data, not for the apps themselves (these are simply restored from the App Store) so for many people the 5GB default is enough.

I also use this method to update my phone (and my wife's phone, my kids phones etc), never had a problem with it.

• edited May 2018

If I were you StMichaels, I would subscribe to the 2TB option just for one month ($9.99), back up my current iPad, and then perform the restore on the new one. This would be especially true if I had a lot of audio files stored in Audioshare. Once everything is safe and sound on your new iPad, you can immediately unsubscribe until you need the expanded iCloud storage again. Then perform the factory reset on the old iPad and such if you wish.

See? Most of us here know how to give far more useful advice than the standard dickish KVR forum musician “don’t spell confusing-to-spell words in all caps” reply. ;) Cheers.

• Back up your old iPad to iCloud, and sync it and back up to iTunes as well on your computer. This will make sure everything you have now is backed up in two places. Restoring the new iPad from your saved iCloud back up is the preferred method according to Apple, and it "should" give you all your apps and data back. This will not restore your own personal pictures, music, or movies (at least not those you didn't purchase from iTunes), but those can be restored afterwards when you sync to iTunes with the new iPad.

• I’ve used iTunes to restore from backups for years and have never lost anything.

• Thanks guys, I never really understood how the iCloud backup works. I blindly subscribe to the $1 per minth option on my 128 gig iPad Pro

• Good info on the iCloud options here, sounds better than my mix and match approach.

• @TheVimFuego said:
    Good info on the iCloud options here, sounds better than my mix and match approach.

Well, any approach is better than no approach at all in my opinion. I myself like what @Tarekith suggested in that you back up both on iCloud and through iTunes on your computer. That’s the ultimate failproof plan. :)

• @YZJustDatGuy said:
    I’ve used iTunes to restore from backups for years and have never lost anything.

>

You are Tim Cook, I claim my £5. :D

• Restoring backup from iCloud will not restore apps (from the AppStore) that were discontinued or that do not support the iOS on your new iPad anymore (like Alchemy Mobile, NanoStudio, etc). However, restoring from your iTunes hard drive backup restores everything.

• @powerobject said:

PHowever, restoring from your iTunes hard drive backup restores everything.
    >

As does restoring from an iMazing 2 HDD backup, from which you can also extract individual files.

BTW, I have no affiliation with iMazing, it’s just that after a series of disasters with iTunes, I found iMazing and have had hassle free back up ever since.

• edited May 2018

@powerobject said:
    Restoring backup from iCloud will not restore apps (from the AppStore) that were discontinued or that do not support the iOS on your new iPad anymore (like Alchemy Mobile, NanoStudio, etc). However, restoring from your iTunes hard drive backup restores everything.

A new iPad is going to come loaded with the latest iOS, and AFAIK there is no way to downgrade to an earlier iOS without jailbreaking , so the point is moot surely, you won't be able to load obsolete apps regardless.

Discontinued apps can still be downloaded if you have bought them previously BTW. I downloaded Alchemy mobile to my phone last month, and was able to restore all the IAPs. But of course apps that aren't compatible with a new OS are a different matter.

• @richardyot said:

@powerobject said:
    Restoring backup from iCloud will not restore apps (from the AppStore) that were discontinued or that do not support the iOS on your new iPad anymore (like Alchemy Mobile, NanoStudio, etc). However, restoring from your iTunes hard drive backup restores everything.

A new iPad is going to come loaded with the latest iOS, and AFAIK there is no way to downgrade to an earlier iOS without jailbreaking , so the point is moot surely, you won't be able to load obsolete apps regardless.

Discontinued apps can still be downloaded if you have bought them previously BTW. I downloaded Alchemy mobile to my phone last month, and was able to restore all the IAPs. But of course apps that aren't compatible with a new OS are a different matter.

I was able to restore Alchemy Mobile app from iTunes hard disk backup and also use it for a year when it was not available on the AppStore anymore (because Apple acquired and incorporated it into GB) for the version of iOS I had. Later, it started crackling and stopped working completely and I had to delete it. Discontinued apps for your iOS version may still work for sometime if you can restore them from your backup.

• Thank you all for helping me along and based on the first post I am now typing iPad correctly VS IPAD :D :D

Update: I backed up to iCloud. I also downloaded the latest iTunes and did a backup from a PC. It was easy. I also confirmed the file folder and went to the root of the folder to make sure. Shows the file and thus iTunes backs up on local storage drive on PC. I think I am covered. I decided to hold off on a iPad Pro at least to see what happens when they announce a new model on June 4th.

By backing up in iCloud and iTunes I feel better about it.

Once again - Thanks to all!