Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

THOR Wins MODEL D app Clone Wars? │ What is going on? - haQ attaQ vlog

Does Propellerhead Thor sound more MOOG than MOOG Model D? Recently I published a video in where I was comparing Arturia's iMiNi, a minimoog emulation clone app to Model D which is MOOG's own minimoog emulation app. Before starting the comparison I asked viewers to take part in a poll and see if they could spot a Moog from a non-moog. That tests included Propellerheads Thor as a non-moog-clone reference. Well, votes has been counted and seems like Thor was the most Moog out of them all...well at least most of us thought so before the actual comparisons started...so maybe Im being a tad hyperbolic?

haqattaq

Comments

• Maybe because Thor is the best Synth everywhere?

Maybe ;)

• My guess is that not many have even touched or played a real Moog Model D?

Thor was out first of the bunch had some presets that maybe skewed iOS users perception of what a Moog sounds like. Next up was the Arturia iMini which has it's fair share of issues and when Moog released their own Model D it gets compared to software and not the real Model D which would be the proper comparison.

I feel no real 'bond' with Thor.
    It's just another app without any 'real magic' and feels like it's abandoned by the developers...

• Im pretty sure i saw some video of the app compared to the real thing and they sounded pretty much as identical as possible. This makes me suspect that its just that many people dont know what the real thing sounds like.

• As much as I've tried the iMini and Thor filters do not sound as 'warm' as the Model D filter does.

Also none of the other apps have AUv3 support so they fail in that department...
    (I just can't stand the hassle of connecting apps using IAA or AudioBus, it's a real flow stoppa).

• @ToMess said:
    Im pretty sure i saw some video of the app compared to the real thing and they sounded pretty much as identical as possible. This makes me suspect that its just that many people dont know what the real thing sounds like.

Maybe.

But then, I think that people voted for what they liked most ;)

Think about this.

• @tja said:

@ToMess said:
    Im pretty sure i saw some video of the app compared to the real thing and they sounded pretty much as identical as possible. This makes me suspect that its just that many people dont know what the real thing sounds like.

Maybe.

Think about this.

Yep, people have different tastes for sound, nothing wrong with that. If people picked the best sounding and thought it was moog because it sounded the best, well think about that ;)

• I've never handled a hardware Moog. I'm sure that I know the sound as I've heard it all over records ... but I never paid much attention to brands back when. I always described a musician's sound ... that's Chic or that's Herbie or that's George Duke or ...

I have a lot to learn. So I would have failed such a test. But, I love Thor. 😁

• I don’t think just listening to a sound works for a comparison. A synth (even in software) has a ‘feel’ about it while you are using it (altering any settings, be it the filter frequency or altering the envelope).

I have used many hardware synths from high end to mass produced, but you do not need to have used any to get that ‘feel’, that time when us synth heads call the synth ‘alive’.

I believe this is what @Samu is alluding to. A feeling that Model D has when you use it for more that just hitting a note. When you actually ‘play’ the controls of the synth is when it’s most noticeable.

In my opinion after programming sounds on all three synths discussed here, Model D has that special ‘feeling’, much more than the other two synths.

Yes, it’s highly subjective, but I don’t actually think that just listening to a few sounds will bring out that special feeling we often equate with Moog

• @ToMess said:

@tja said:

@ToMess said:

Maybe.

Think about this.

Yep, people have different tastes for sound, nothing wrong with that. If people picked the best sounding and thought it was moog because it sounded the best, well think about that ;)

My first thought was: Yes, 100%.
    But really?
    Given that most people are "more visually than sonically oriented", I tend to believe that the poll might in fact have been more about the oscillograms than the sound, although I bet no one would "admit" that ;)

• @rs2000 said:

@ToMess said:

@tja said:

@ToMess said:

Maybe.

Think about this.

My first thought was: Yes, 100%.
    But really?
    Given that most people are "more visually than sonically oriented", I tend to believe that the poll might in fact have been more about the oscillograms than the sound, although I bet no one would "admit" that ;)

I feel similar about the recent iOS Mastering comparison.

Only an ABX without seeing something would produce the truth.

• @Samu said:

I feel no real 'bond' with Thor.
    It's just another app without any 'real magic' and feels like it's abandoned by the developers...

I’m not sure it’s been abandoned, it was only updated 3 weeks ago. Though I lost interest in Thor some time ago, it was the comparison by @jakoB_haQ that renewed my interest. And I have to say, I don’t know why I lost interest at all; it is magnificent.

• @Beathoven said:
    I’m not sure it’s been abandoned, it was only updated 3 weeks ago.

I know, I was more referring to 'modernising' it. You know show the Documents folder in Files.app for easier patch-sharing that require ZERO coding(It's a 'check box' in XCode) and things like that.

AUv3 support even if it was just a 'preset player' is pushing it though...

• Here ya go. Model d app vs the real thing. Damn close

• @Panthemusicalgoat said:
    Here ya go. Model d app vs the real thing. Damn close

Yeah...
    It's a good comparison using the iPad head-phone jack which to me can sound a bit mushy and lacking in detail when comparing with external audio-interfaces :)
    (Every time I switch from the iPad 3.5" jack to the UR-242 it feels like the iPad's 3.5" jack is 'broken').

• Model D and Thor are pure Gems! We’re so blessed to have both.

• @Panthemusicalgoat said:

Thanks! However I must admit that I’m a bit disappointed that someone allready did the comparison. Feels like making another one would be superfluous. :sweat_smile:

• @ToMess said:

@tja said:

@ToMess said:

Maybe.

Think about this.

I’m curious about this as well.

I gotta add though that I’ve been working with Thor for years and...when I did my blind test I chose Thor too.

I though that I would recognise Thor instantly since it’s one of or the most used synth app I have, but I was wrong.. :sweat_smile:

• @jakoB_haQ said:

Thanks! However I must admit that I’m a bit disappointed that someone allready did the comparison. Feels like making another one would be superfluous. :sweat_smile:

You could use a better audio-interface for an even closer comparison ;)
    (Ie. record the audio from a real Model D with a hi-end audio-interface and compare with rendered audio).

• edited May 2018

Again...compare just a waveform isn‘t what makes a Moog ;)
    Thor and Model D are so different.
    iMini just can‘t do the audio rate stuff well.
    Model D app is the clostest to a real Model D!

• @jakoB_haQ said:

@Panthemusicalgoat said:

Not at all, just change the parameters a bit. Do a comparison of all the same synths, but ignore the sound quality, do it on the basis of which one has the most realistic wood.

• Why no comp with Mood - It is also based off the Model D. I also use Mood way more than all of these synths.

• wimwim
    edited May 2018

This all reminds me of a fancy beer tasting party I went to in college. The host proudly distributed tastes of his prize beer collection to everyone's oohs and ahhs. Then some shmuck (me) suggested a blind test where everyone tried to rate and guess what beer they were tasting. The overwhelming favorites? Coors and Budweiser (cheap generic USA beers).

Needless to say, I didn't get invited back to any more parties at that guy's house. So watch out Mr. Haq. ;)

• edited May 2018

I guessed synth 1 but I didn't vote :( I knew the square wave was Thor because it was different from the other clones.

I'd like to know how something like Gadget's Dublin fares against the Model D. @jakoB_haQ could we get a round two synth match? Maybe match Cubasis's Minilogue against Gadget's Dublin and Moog's Model D. Honestly I'd love to be able to understand how to program these kinds of semi-modular synths.

• More people just liked the sound of Thor better, so maybe they assumed that "better" meant the official emulation. More faithful does not always mean more loved. I didn't vote, so I don't have a dog in this fight. I have both and like them.

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    I guessed synth 1 but I didn't vote :( I knew the square wave was Thor because it was different from the other clones.

I'd like to know how something like Gadget's Dublin fares against the Model D. @jakoB_haQ could we get a round two synth match? Maybe match Cubasis's Minilogue against Gadget's Dublin and Moog's Model D. Honestly I'd love to be able to understand how to program these kinds of semi-modular synths.

I’d be really interested re:Dublin too... I use it a lot, cos you know, it’s in Gadget.

• edited May 2018

@Mr_Beak said:
    Why no comp with Mood - It is also based off the Model D. I also use Mood way more than all of these synths.

it's based on the same structure (partly), but way off in the sound engine.
    Anyway, you'll only ever hear a Model-D in mono without velocity and sans fx.
    That's where it's charme is.
    Otherwise use whatever fits your personal taste.
    ps: I really liked the other video with a vintage Model-D compared to Moog's app.
    They did a great job B)

• One thing is clear, Thor wins the CPU overhead comparison hands down. I've been using it on my iPad4 when I want to run multiple synths at once, Model D isn't even compatible and is heavy on my phone CPU.

• @1nsomniak said:
    One thing is clear, Thor wins the CPU overhead comparison hands down. I've been using it on my iPad4 when I want to run multiple synths at once, Model D isn't even compatible and is heavy on my phone CPU.

Yeah I think Thor is one of the best bang for your bucks synths. Low on CPU and the variety of sounds is quite large - love the Smart Keyboard layout too. It's still one of my go to synths

• edited May 2018

There isn't much variety in the sound character of any synth.
    They all stick more or less to what the hardware or engine come up with.
    (single voice, envelopes, filter)

In @jakoB_haQ 's video you can clearly tell the difference by ear (the oscillograph is very distracting, though). Model-D has a characteristic response in the low mids, which is the most challenging part of the spectrum for digital algorithms.

Which also is a common experience with electric basses:
    a humble Fender Precision doesn't sound spectacular on it's own, but it's response is exactly what most mixes need.
    On this instrument a lot happens between 300 and 800 Hz, but does NOT interfere with the vocals, as the shere numbers might suggest.

Imho it's better to consider the particular role of a synth in a track instead of thinking 'I need 3 voices here and 5 there...'
    Of course everyone's free to add effects (and voices) as desired, but each of that will (!) blur the character of the source. Similiar to a vocal chorus.
    Often intentional and in a pleasing way regarding the final result, but in such cases you may not need a Model-D at all. It's the postprocessing that will define the tone ;)

• @Telefunky said:
    There isn't much variety in the sound character of any synth.
    They all stick more or less to what the hardware or engine come up with.
    (single voice, envelopes, filter)

In @jakoB_haQ 's video you can clearly tell the difference by ear (the oscillograph is very distracting, though). Model-D has a characteristic response in the low mids, which is the most challenging part of the spectrum for digital algorithms.

Which also is a common experience with electric basses:
    a humble Fender Precision doesn't sound spectacular on it's own, but it's response is exactly what most mixes need.
    On this instrument a lot happens between 300 and 800 Hz, but does NOT interfere with the vocals, as the shere numbers might suggest.

Imho it's better to consider the particular role of a synth in a track instead of thinking 'I need 3 voices here and 5 there...'
    Of course everyone's free to add effects (and voices) as desired, but each of that will (!) blur the character of the source. Similiar to a vocal chorus.
    Often intentional and in a pleasing way regarding the final result, but in such cases you may not need a Model-D at all. It's the postprocessing that will define the tone ;)

TIL :)