Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Roland TR-08 usb interface with iPad?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• @d4d0ug said:
    Has anyone got a TR-08 and connected it to an iPad (presumably via hub) ?

I was wondering if multiple usb channels show up on an iPad - the spec and videos I’ve seen suggest that multiple channels show up on a computer.

The USB MIDI connection on the Boutiques is not class compliant. In other words, you need a proprietary driver for it, so I don't think you can hook them up directly to an iPad.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @d4d0ug said:

@brambos said:

@d4d0ug said:
    Has anyone got a TR-08 and connected it to an iPad (presumably via hub) ?

I was wondering if multiple usb channels show up on an iPad - the spec and videos I’ve seen suggest that multiple channels show up on a computer.

The USB MIDI connection on the Boutiques is not class compliant. In other words, you need a proprietary driver for it, so I don't think you can hook them up directly to an iPad.

Ah - shoot, that’s a bit sucky! Ah well.

DIN MIDI still works, so you can always directly control it by using the oldfashioned 5-pin connector (minus the multiple out support, ofcourse).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yeah, I recently got an TR-08, but fortunately, I did know going in that it was not class-compliant and, therefore, USB MIDI and audio was not going to work without a driver. All of the Roland boutiques are like that. I really don't understand why any USB music devices still require drivers in 2018, but I'd say it's probably as much the norm as the exception. Which is too bad, since I really have no interest in making music on a desktop PC, but would absolutely record into an iPad DAW.

I will say that this has become less of an issue for me since I changed my (decidedly budget) setup and got a Behringer UMC204. I was skeptical of all things Behringer because of their cheap quality knock-off guitar pedals, but between the UMC204 and the UCA202 (really a "gateway drug" dongle/interface for iPad musicians to learn how to capture hardware audio), Behringer have two affordable products that have totally met my casual musicmaking needs.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC204--behringer-u-phoria-umc204

The UMC204 really opens up your options with the Roland Boutiques or any other hardware that you can't control directly with USB MIDI. It receives and transmits DIN MIDI, and is itself a class-compliant USB interface. So you program a sequencer on the iPad and send it to the TR-08, capturing back the audio via the audio output jack. Or, you can plug in the DIN MIDI controller of your choice into the UMC204, and then use it to send MIDI to the TR-08. There are other interfaces that do what the UMC204 does, and probably quite a bit more, but at this price point (I think it was $80 on Amazon at one point), it's been a revelation for me.

• Yeah I don't understand why Roland would do that beyond just cutting corners, which is something Roland just seems to do these days.