Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Advice about iPod Touch 6th gen?

I was thinking of getting an iPod Touch 6th gen for my kid. I was wondering if it can run all iPhone compatible apps, or do I have to check for iPod Touch on the compatible devices list for each app?

I believe it is an iPhone without cellular capability, with possible minor differences in hardware specs like camera resolution, etc. But seeing as how it runs the same iOS as the iPhone, it should be able to run the same compatible apps. Are these assumptions correct? Anybody using one of these devices?

Comments

• As far as I know this is correct. It is pretty amazing what the iPod Touch can do for the money. The camera is great, and it does a good job running Korg Gadget. I hate phones -- being available, pin notifications, facebook, etc. So having an iPod Touch instead of a phone was really nice for a few years. Then I am an email away and no-one expects me to answer or whatever, and I can maintain my longer circuits in my brain, focusing on one activity for long periods. I think that this is something very important these days -- a way to guard against being manipulated by information. :p

• I've got a iPod 6th generation - and yes it's an iPhone without the phone. Can't remember the benchmarks but way more powerful than my iPad mini 2. Handles AUM and all the apps I can throw at it (Inc Model 15). I'm still on iOS 10 so I can use Nanostudio and it's all good. Only issue is battery life is poor - but I got the 6th G second hand 2 years ago so could be it's age. Oh it works great with the camera connection kit and can handle 2 USB MIDI devices with a hub.

I also use it for the timelapse and slow motion video with reasonable effect.

• @futureaztec @kitejan
    While waiting for responses, I took a look at the Apple site to see what info they had. I was thinking of getting one for my kid’s birthday next month, but now I want one too. :p

A few weeks ago I checked prices on used iPhone 6s, but they were still more than I was hoping. Apple sells these iPod Touches with 32gb new for $200. Should be able to find one cheaper, as they sell these at many other retailers.

Anyway, thank you for your quick responses. I am pretty excited to get one of these now. :)

• Is there an iPod Touch generation that’s incapable of running iOS 11, thus making it something I could purchase as-new but still run NanoStudio on?

• @JonLewis said:
    Is there an iPod Touch generation that’s incapable of running iOS 11, thus making it something I could purchase as-new but still run NanoStudio on?

Yes the 6th gen models come with iOS 11. The specs on the Apple site are really tasty. B)

• edited May 2018

@kitejan said:
    I've got a iPod 6th generation - and yes it's an iPhone without the phone. Can't remember the benchmarks but way more powerful than my iPad mini 2. Handles AUM and all the apps I can throw at it (Inc Model 15). I'm still on iOS 10 so I can use Nanostudio and it's all good. Only issue is battery life is poor - but I got the 6th G second hand 2 years ago so could be it's age. Oh it works great with the camera connection kit and can handle 2 USB MIDI devices with a hub.

I also use it for the timelapse and slow motion video with reasonable effect.

But can’t run iPad apps... take that in consideration since some apps are only for iPad :sweat_smile:

• Been thinking about the same question. I know that iPod touch 4th generation only goes to isoS 6 so of course can still run NS (used to have one so I know first hand). 5th generation is iOS 9 so again is fine. It's 6th generation that supports iOS11 and obviously won't support NS1. I'm still on iOS 10 (for now).

• True about iPad apps - from an app perspective tray and iPod like an iPhone.

• @CracklePot said:
    A few weeks ago I checked prices on used iPhone 6s, but they were still more than I was hoping. Apple sells these iPod Touches with 32gb new for $200. Should be able to find one cheaper, as they sell these at many other retailers.

Before I blew mine up testing a homemade guitar fuzz pedal, I found one online on one of those usedwhatevercity craigslist kijiji type sites. It was unopened in a box. Lucky enough, I decided to replace it with an iPad and someone was selling an iPad new unopened sealed for a good deal as well. I would check there.

• I use a 6G iPod Touch for testing purposes (especially for small-screen tests). Runs everything just fine, including iOS11 without a hickup. For the money it's still quite capable!

And it has a minijack B)

• edited May 2018

It's (latest touch) my main music listening machine. I put a few synths on it and they all run fine, but the screen is too small for using a DAW.

• I’m torn between an Ipod touch or the soon to be announced Iphone se 2 hmmm
    I guess both have pretty small screens. I’d like to use only Grooverider and Gadget on it - nothing more. How well is working with them on these small screens?

• edited May 2018

@osKar said:
    I’m torn between an Ipod touch or the soon to be announced Iphone se 2 hmmm
    I guess both have pretty small screens. I’d like to use only Grooverider and Gadget on it - nothing more. How well is working with them on these small screens?

I can confirm using Gadget on iPhone SE screen size is pretty much impossible. Some of the buttons are so, so, so small I cannot hit them. I mean YMMV but you’d have to have pretty small fingers / laser accuracy to always hit the buttons you want. Especially the octave scroll buttons on the keyboard, very hit or miss (mostly miss)

And I write this as a pretty much happy SE owner, that’s just the ONE app I couldn’t use on such a small screen. Performance wise it’s fine

• edited May 2018

I see... thanks for the advice! much appreciated! then the ipod touch isn’t that recommendable for gadget as well. toooo baaad hmpf