Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apple App store: It just don't work

Nobody can say, that Apple is allergic against innovation.

Nobody? OK, the app store isn't the best example. I could spent hours or even days describing just how bad it is, bad design, bad functionality etc. Apple and the developing community is losing money because Apple is completely incapable to improve its iOS and iTunes (Mac OS and Windows) app store.

Apple just don't consider the bad user experience and the missing opportunities for better useability. Since some days they completely destroyed (!!) the search function of the app store if you use it with your windows computer.

Typing something you are looking for like "Moog" - hey, great you get some suggestions like "Moog Inc.". The newest "improvement" made by Apple (these genious filled company, you know, which pays minimum wage for most of its employees...) is , that you do can click to this suggestions or type in the search field whatever you like:

Nothing happens. As a result you cannot buy apps if you don't find some really smart tricks how to eventually get your product (or company) on the display.

Oh, and they just don't care. Calling apple care you will get suggestions like "use the apple store on your iPad - and don't use the apple store within iTunes on your windows computer" - the supporter really don't have any chance to report a bug to Apple. They can escalate the call to their "senior" (LOL) advisors, and these advisors can write a "RTA" to their "engineers" (this is is just T3 level support in a very delayed form - most of them still get minimum wage and most of them are even less qualified than the T2 level support). This RTA will never reach anybody within the organisation of Apple -> as a result you (and nobody else!) can not report main bugs to Apple.

Apple's current design philosophy of the app store is:

"IT JUST DON'T WORK" and "WE JUST DON'T CARE"

They even don't have a bug reporting system. Really.

Comments

• I repeat it everywhere: I hate Apple.

Sadly, I - still - like iOS and the apps it provides, also the hardware, at least partly.

• I hate Apple; I have no choice but to use their products.

Seems like there's some kind of disconnect.

Can you post this stuff somewhere else? It's really tiresome here.

• I like apples.
    Caramel apples are yum.
    Fuji apples are my fave.

• Agreed.
    Also, honeycrisp.

• Apple stock up 4% today. Warren Buffet likes Apple but he probably doesn’t spend much time App shoppping.

• edited May 2018

bet ya kids dunno this haha :smiley:
    I like APPLE (like in the Beatles record company) 🍏

• edited May 2018

@tja said:
    I repeat it everywhere: I hate Apple.

Sadly, I - still - like iOS and the apps it provides, also the hardware, at least partly.

I say, give me back my wish list
    There’re still things there I intended to buy 😝

• @Kühl said:

Kids be like,
    “Lol. That old fool thinks the Beatles started Apple!”
    ;)

• @CracklePot said:

@Kühl said:

Kids be like,
    ;)

@CracklePot said:

@Kühl said:

Kids be like,
    ;)

Haha, that’s a good laugh 😂

• While there’s significant room for improvement on the App Store, it’s forums like this and other mobile music sites I use to find out about apps. I think it’s good these sites can get a commission from Apple which doesn’t come out of the developer’s cut. If I have problems with an app, I can go directly to the developer if I can’t figure it out.

• Who started Orange? :o

I rant sometimes about Apple or the price of donkeys or the fact that high winds blow here 320 days a year. It’s good to get it out, right?

• @ZenLizard said:
    Who started Orange? :o

I rant sometimes about Apple or the price of donkeys or the fact that high winds blow here 320 days a year. It’s good to get it out, right?

You live in the alps or Himalaya or something 😝

• @Kühl said:

@tja said:

Here you are:

AppWish - Simple wishlist by Filip Nemecek

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/appwish-simple-wishlist/id1291909819?l=en&mt=8

Works great, i can recommend it - you can even export and secure your wishes.

• "don't use the apple store within iTunes on your windows computer"

^ good advice right there. Don't use iTunes on your Windows computer even better. Actually, just don't use iTunes. You'll be a much happier and well-rounded person.

• Searching for “world’s tiniest violin” samples. Be right back.

• I think it's hilarious that the only way to find stuff in the app store is using Google. Did anyone try searching for Odessa before Roseta had the name change?

• Indeed i never really liked the app store and search is terrible. I´m faster if i just google something and put iOS app behind it...or just look here in the forum :)
    But since iOS 11 i find it even worse and so i don´t open the app store often to just find the next casual game or fart and ring tone app. It´s like shopping in a candy store and i already had too much of it.
    I even ignore my 80+ updates i might do one day.
    Some are fast and easy but some apps still seems to need to reload the whole app for updates? I thought that was solved by the time and not needed.
    It needs more categories about pro apps beside the consumer market.
    Pro iPads and whatever but where the f.... is the pro app store?

• @Cib said:
    … but where the f.... is the pro app store?

On my Mac.

• @u0421793 said:

@Cib said:
    … but where the f.... is the pro app store?

On my Mac.

:D Good one.....of course i can shop anywhere there but the mac app store isn´t too much pro as well.
    But at least the top apps in the music category are actually mostly really music creation apps :)

• edited May 2018

@Looping_Loddar said> "IT JUST DON'T WORK" and "WE JUST DON'T CARE"

It’s not personal, just business. ;)

But more seriously, Mr Cook could not innovate his way out of a paper bag, Apple, under him, has a ‘less for more’ strategy. For example, doing away with useful ports, so they can sell us more dongles, the gimmick of the touch bar or the ludicrous thousand pound phone!

I have encountered a couple of very helpful, conscinscious people working for Apple, but the majority these days are script monkeys and/or Millennials who have bought into the bullshit of Apple as a lifestyle.

As for the App Store, while it continues to make them so much money, they have no incentive to make it work better. Worse, from our point of view, the fantastic things that can be done via IOS music apps, are largely just a curiosity to Cook and co. I’m sure there are people at Apple can see the innovation - and the greater commercial possibilities - but while the lions share of profit still comes from ‘Bake My Tortoise’ or whatever mind-numbing game is flavour of the month, music apps will not attract the eye of Sauron.

....And if they did, then a pro music app, to Apple, would be anything they believe they can flog for ten times the prices we are used to, regardless of whether it was actually any good. Pro, to them, just means a license to print more money from those dopey enough to believe. The single exception, in music apps, being Logic.

• @Zen210507 said:

@Looping_Loddar said> "IT JUST DON'T WORK" and "WE JUST DON'T CARE"

It’s not personal, just business. ;)

But more seriously, Mr Cook could not innovate his way out of a paper bag, Apple, under him, has a ‘less for more’ strategy. For example, doing away with useful ports, so they can sell us more dongles, the gimmick of the touch bar or the ludicrous thousand pound phone!

I have encountered a couple of very helpful, conscinscious people working for Apple, but the majority these days are script monkeys and/or Millennials who have bought into the bullshit of Apple as a lifestyle.

As for the App Store, while it continues to make them so much money, they have no incentive to make it work better. Worse, from our point of view, the fantastic things that can be done via IOS music apps, are largely just a curiosity to Cook and co. I’m sure there are people at Apple can see the innovation - and the greater commercial possibilities - but while the lions share of profit still comes from ‘Bake My Tortoise’ or whatever mind-numbing game is flavour of the month, music apps will not attract the eye of Sauron.

....And if they did, then a pro music app, to Apple, would be anything they believe they can flog for ten times the prices we are used to, regardless of whether it was actually any good. Pro, to them, just means a license to print more money from those dopey enough to believe.

But especially the touch bar seems not so bad if you see what some developers make out of it. I actually find it quite amazing what i saw about it in terms of controlling DAW´s like Logic or Live.
    Not sure about the pro app either. Logic is the best bang for buck i saw yet for music production.
    IOS Garage Band might be limited but still has some of the best multi-touch tools integrated for free as well as really good loops and other stuff.

• @Cib said:
    IOS Garage Band might be limited but still has some of the best multi-touch tools integrated for free as well as really good loops and other stuff.

>

Yes, GB is a gem. It must frustrate those developing it that they could go all the way, and turn it into an IOS Logic, if that was the strategy.

• edited May 2018

@Zen210507 said:

@Cib said:

>

Yes, GB is a gem. It must frustrate those developing it that they could go all the way, and turn it into an IOS Logic, if that was the strategy.

O.k. yes. But still they maybe could and want it but the GUI part might be the hardest, especially since Apple mostly do universal apps.
    Even the latest Logic is maybe about 50% updated in terms of new GUI‘s which indeed looks also very touch friendly.
    And then if that works i wouldn‘t have a reason to buy any third party iOS app then. Not good for competition.

• What would Logic on iOS actually be like? Just a beefier GarageBand? Or if Apple put everything into it, sold it for $200 or something, would it run well on mobile hardware and a mobile OS, and also attract the professional music industry to working on iPads? Could we use the great plug-ins from the big desktop developers? How much would iOS itself need to be changed to make the app we love be the app we love? I'm skeptical that Logic on iOS at this time would be a real good move for Apple.

As far as the App Store, I've never really used it much except to buy apps I read about elsewhere, and while iTunes seems a mess to me, it works okay for what little I do with it. No real problems yet.

• @lovadamusic said:
    What would Logic on iOS actually be like? Just a beefier GarageBand? Or if Apple put everything into it, sold it for $200 or something, would it run well on mobile hardware and a mobile OS, and also attract the professional music industry to working on iPads? Could we use the great plug-ins from the big desktop developers? How much would iOS itself need to be changed to make the app we love be the app we love? I'm skeptical that Logic on iOS at this time would be a real good move for Apple.

As far as the App Store, I've never really used it much except to buy apps I read about elsewhere, and while iTunes seems a mess to me, it works okay for what little I do with it. No real problems yet.

A lot of the professional are already working with iPads....but mostly not of course as only workstation.
    So it´s all done already :)
    And yes, Logic with all it´s bells and whistles makes no sense on iPads and sure not on iPhones.
    And like i said it´s maybe better anyway. They maybe would sell it for 50-100 and it would come with all you ever need maybe.
    Also on iOS i anyway much prefer simpler DAW´s like the coming NS2 for sure.

• edited May 2018

The App Store is ok. What's bad is the Music Store. OMG there's so much money I'd love to give to Apple but the music / books / movies concept that is partially integrated and particularly separated is just :s

Nowadays album art is really insignificant and yet it's the most prominently displayed item. Searches are truncated. You can't search by sub genre. You can't search by label. Nevermind the pointless information you get about the performers when you want to find works by a classical composer.

I'll take my business elsewhere and I'll play my songs out of Documents rather than ITunes.

• @Cib said:

@lovadamusic said:
    What would Logic on iOS actually be like? Just a beefier GarageBand? Or if Apple put everything into it, sold it for $200 or something, would it run well on mobile hardware and a mobile OS, and also attract the professional music industry to working on iPads? Could we use the great plug-ins from the big desktop developers? How much would iOS itself need to be changed to make the app we love be the app we love? I'm skeptical that Logic on iOS at this time would be a real good move for Apple.

A lot of the professional are already working with iPads....but mostly not of course as only workstation.
    And yes, Logic with all it´s bells and whistles makes no sense on iPads and sure not on iPhones.
    And like i said it´s maybe better anyway. They maybe would sell it for 50-100 and it would come with all you ever need maybe.

I used to think how wonderful it would be to have Logic on an iPad, but I've lost my enthusiasm for the idea. And I can see why we have no such thing. I'm trying to see it from Apple's POV. What do they get by selling Logic for iOS? Money? Recognition? Is there a significant market in the music industry looking for a big DAW for their iPads? And if it was available, would it sell significantly more iPads than are currently selling? It could be just another headache having to support an app like Logic on iOS devices, where it would likely not run as smoothly, and where professionals would be more demanding and have higher expectations.

In the end, it's good that Apple has a huge consumer market that loves games and social media. It's the reason artistic and creative types have these powerful tablets to play with.

• @lovadamusic said:

@Cib said:

@lovadamusic said:

I used to think how wonderful it would be to have Logic on an iPad, but I've lost my enthusiasm for the idea. And I can see why we have no such thing. I'm trying to see it from Apple's POV. What do they get by selling Logic for iOS? Money? Recognition? Is there a significant market in the music industry looking for a big DAW for their iPads? And if it was available, would it sell significantly more iPads than are currently selling? It could be just another headache having to support an app like Logic on iOS devices, where it would likely not run as smoothly, and where professionals would be more demanding and have higher expectations.

In the end, it's good that Apple has a huge consumer market that loves games and social media. It's the reason artistic and creative types have these powerful tablets to play with.

Maybe a stripped down Logic for iOS could work. Otherwise people would want all the things like external SSD and whatever to connect with iPads.
    I think even if they don´t have to, they make some good money with Logic as well.
    Not sure what that means but it´s mostly at Nr.1 at the charts in the music category of payed apps here and mostly also in the Top 10 of all payed apps.
    Now the iOS app store is much bigger but look what is there at the top.....it´s almost a shame but shows what to expect on the platforms.

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    The App Store is ok. What's bad is the Music Store. OMG there's so much money I'd love to give to Apple but the music / books / movies concept that is partially integrated and particularly separated is just :s

Nowadays album art is really insignificant and yet it's the most prominently displayed item. Searches are truncated. You can't search by sub genre. You can't search by label. Nevermind the pointless information you get about the performers when you want to find works by a classical composer.

I'll take my business elsewhere and I'll play my songs out of Documents rather than ITunes.

Thanks for sharing. You’re not alone with these thoughts... 🙄

• @tja said:

@Kühl said:

@tja said:

Here you are:

AppWish - Simple wishlist by Filip Nemecek

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/appwish-simple-wishlist/id1291909819?l=en&mt=8

Works great, i can recommend it - you can even export and secure your wishes.

Installed. You are an oasis of good info mr @tja
    This app completely obliterated my frustration
    I’m ordering pizza 🍕